Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dumbdog posted:

Get the grippiest winter tyres you can. Something like a magic mary ultra soft. Summer tyres are terrible in winter.

in wales its winter tyres all year round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Yea if you wanna learn to ride in bad conditions go ride the Welsh valleys for a few winters. Although I disagree that you need 'winter' tyres, you just need to Get Good at riding wet roots and steeps. Maybe something a bit chunky up front for the worst of it but I've been through multiple Welsh winters on HR2s and DHR2s, no bother. I love riding stuff full of wet roots with riders who aren't used to it, makes me feel like I'm actually good at riding.

Also accept that you will crash and slide down the hill in the mud sometimes. At least it's mostly soft.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've been using a magic mary up front and a DHR2 rear for the last couple of years in summer and winter in the Welsh valleys and Forest of Dean and they're pretty great for all conditions to be honest. Although saying that I still get taken out by the odd sniper root in the FOD but that's par for the course here really.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Thanks for the replies. I actually saw that Remy video on PB an hour after my post. I've got the mudguard and the acceptance that I will eat poo poo and slide around all over the place. I doubt if my tires are specifically for winter/wet riding, but they are Bontrager 2.6/2.5, so at least should be plenty wide.

I don't have anything waterproof for pants but regardless of temperature I generally ride in shorts. I'll probably need to reconsider that huh. Those TLD pants look nice but $185 is a bit much for me right now.

Skiing would normally be my alternative but cuz covid poo poo all the mountains around me are doing reservation systems with dynamic pricing and priority to season pass holders.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Love my POC pants, the DH ones.

Dumbdog
Sep 13, 2011
I think I need the extra grip from a decent winter tire. Wharncliffe is pretty much steep roots rocks and mud this time of year. Im sure other people can manage with less grip. To be honest yorkshire just had wet season and wet and cold season theres not a huge difference between my summer and winter tyres.
Strongly recommend water proof mtb trousers for winter as well. Massive game changers.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm surprised to hear people recommending winter tires. I've never even heard of that but I guess I live somewhere temperate.

Is the compound itself different to be softer at those temps or is it just the tread pattern? I can't imagine an aggressive DH tire not having the tread pattern to deal with wet mud/roots/etc because that's essentially what they're designed for.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Is the compound itself different to be softer at those temps or is it just the tread pattern? I can't imagine an aggressive DH tire not having the tread pattern to deal with wet mud/roots/etc because that's essentially what they're designed for.

This is also my thoughts.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah those TLD pants are spendy but if you look for a cheaper option make sure they're the softshell or stretch version, a lot of cheaper dh pants are a heavy nylon that suck to ride in. Most companies make 'modern' dh pants besides TLD. I've also done plenty of high socks, pads, shorts days in the rain and its fine, you just get everything super muddy instead of just pants. I would rather ride in shorts than rain pants tbh, something water-resistant breathable is better than a hard shell. If I'm gonna get wetter from the rain than sweat its probably too wet to ride.

With tires I think going to a softer compound is part of it, but so is tire tread. I've heard some DH/enduro tires will pack up with mud when it gets wet and some are specifically more dry-dusty-hard tires. You've also got stuff like a semi-spike like the Maxxis Shorty which is more of a mud/wet and soft tire than roots and rocks. I went to a high roller 2 as I needed a new rear and its been great so far in the wet. I've got it in the MaxxTerra compound and its had enough traction so far.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

I'm surprised to hear people recommending winter tires. I've never even heard of that but I guess I live somewhere temperate.

I think it is more about a softer compound unless you are talking about a mud tire which kind of suck on anything other than mud. That said I have never heard them refereed to as winter tires.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Here in the UK mud tyres/winter tyres are pretty much the same thing. Lots of people here tend to change out their tyres in winter for something with a much more aggressive tread pattern to be able to deal with the mud and slop from the rain, for example changing out a DHF for a Shorty. It's less to do with soft compounds and more to do with the tread. Then when the drier weather comes back they change back so the rolling resistance isn't so crap.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

In scandinavia they make a good bit of difference. In summer the trails are quite dry (but not dusty) and you can ride most everything with smaller/tigher knob geometry. In winter everything's a mud infested shitfest, and you might have to deal with snow on top of it. Big knobs with more space to clear mud helps.

Aphex- posted:

Here in the UK mud tyres/winter tyres are pretty much the same thing. Lots of people here tend to change out their tyres in winter for something with a much more aggressive tread pattern to be able to deal with the mud and slop from the rain, for example changing out a DHF for a Shorty. It's less to do with soft compounds and more to do with the tread. Then when the drier weather comes back they change back so the rolling resistance isn't so crap.
This is quite similar to what people do here.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

yeah, when i said winter tyres i just meant ones which survive in mud and over wet roots vs something which rolls a bit better.

If i'm honest due to various lockdowns and the roni i've not used my trail bike this year much anyway :( it's sitting in my old bedroom at my mums house. After this current lockdown ends i might just say gently caress it and go ride some trails in wales before the end of the year.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah I've barely been out. Like you I'm hoping restrictions lift enough that I can get some valleys trails in towards the end of the year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone have recommendations for a good pump track technique video and a good jumping technique video?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

n8r posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a good pump track technique video and a good jumping technique video?

I believe the Kyle/April MTB channel (forget the exact name) have videos on both topics. Kyle is pretty good at breaking things down and explaining whats going on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

vikingstrike posted:

I believe the Kyle/April MTB channel (forget the exact name) have videos on both topics. Kyle is pretty good at breaking things down and explaining whats going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGJqFXrEdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3giTBDTzwvk

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The pumping video is very good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-qUnyl5Z14&t=260s

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Any one see any good tire deals this weekend? Wouldn’t mind a new set of trail 29er tires abs maybe an 11 speed chain if there’s any killer deals today.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sadi posted:

Any one see any good tire deals this weekend? Wouldn’t mind a new set of trail 29er tires abs maybe an 11 speed chain if there’s any killer deals today.

There was some poo poo on Pinkbike let me get the link:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/online-deals-black-friday-2020.html

Couple 29er tires there.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Chain Reaction has some Maxxis deals. Might be sold out in 29, but worth a look.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Still mtb riding apparently

A little cold out though

Top part was a little snowy but had reasonable traction

Few sketchy bits on the way down the ridge

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 29, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

If anyone has an older (2015-maybe 2017) Fox 36 and would like some volume spacers, I’ve got a lot I’d send out for shipping cost. Part number is 803-00-888, if you’d like to check. I’ve got the orange (10.8cc) and blue (7.6cc) ones.

Your air shaft needs to look like the one here.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so I live about 2 miles from the National Trail trailhead at south mountain in phoenix, so I think it's no longer possible to put off a mountain bike purchase.

anyone got any recs for kinds of bikes / setups required for this kind of rocky / sandy terrain? I'm a lifelong road biker, spent a decent amount of time on non-technical singletrack with a hardtail though

edit: suppose I should mention I'm looking for something that can handle pretty rough terrain, is decently durable, but won't break the bank. having a hard time coming up with something less than $2000, even on craigslist and FB marketplace. which I think is a ridiculous amount for what is essentially a first purchase.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 30, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

God Hole posted:

edit: suppose I should mention I'm looking for something that can handle pretty rough terrain, is decently durable, but won't break the bank. having a hard time coming up with something less than $2000, even on craigslist and FB marketplace. which I think is a ridiculous amount for what is essentially a first purchase.

You’ll be looking at aluminum bikes, and ideally something with at least 120mm of travel if you’re going to be playing around in those rocks. If you’re looking at new bikes, the Norco Fluid FS bikes have good geometry for general trail riding. The FS2 seems to be the sweet spot for price and quality, but that’s over your budget by $300. Canyon has new Neurons in your price range, and they’re saying December. There’s a new Canyon Spectral coming soon, and if they release an aluminum version, that seems great for what you’re looking at. If you want something even more descent focused that’ll give up a bit on the climbs, the Commencal Meta TR 29 looks like a hell of a bike, and they’ve got one for $2,199... next March :smith:

It sucks, but a seller’s market right now. Some folks think next year will be good for used bikes, and manufacturers are saying that bike availability will be hosed through 2021. So who the hell knows?

If you’re looking used don’t go much older than a few years; the further back you go, you’ll be sacrificing things like more modern geometry, 1x drivetrains, and dropper posts.

Feel free to post up some stuff you’re looking at and we can arglebargle about it. I don’t envy you trying to find a bike right now, but it’ll be worth it once you do.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Basically what he said. Marin makes good bikes with a good spec for their price, they’re definitely worth checking out too if you can find them.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this is a huge help, thanks!

yeah I was looking at the marin hawk hill and rift zone, as they both seem pretty reasonably priced and despite their stock having been pretty much cleaned out locally, it seems like a brand the the shops around here pretty reliably keep stocked up on. is there a meaningful difference between those two?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
I haven’t ridden either but I was looking at the rift zone for a while. In general it seems to be the better all around bike - a little more travel and more modern geo. The hawk hill is supposed to be a very “fun” bike though, if you want to flick it around and manual at every chance etc, then it’s great for that.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Hawk Hill is now the Rift Zone 27.5; someone got mad at Marin about that. The big difference is wheel size vs. the Rift Zone 29 with bigger wheels. The 29er also has a slightly slacker head tube angle and steeper seat tube angle.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bud Manstrong posted:

It sucks, but a seller’s market right now. Some folks think next year will be good for used bikes, and manufacturers are saying that bike availability will be hosed through 2021. So who the hell knows?

People where I live (USA) are loving lazy, so there will be a bunch of lightly used bikes once people dig them out of their garages in the spring.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Clipless pedal question: if I feel a slight bit of play when I pull my foot forward when clipped in, is that a sign that I need pedal adjustments, new pedals, new cleats/shoes, or a combination? I don't feel as attached to my bike as I'd like.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nocheez posted:

People where I live (USA) are loving lazy, so there will be a bunch of lightly used bikes once people dig them out of their garages in the spring.

I'd warrant that a lot of bikes went to cities so that people could stop huffing other people's coughs on public transportation, not to people who own garages.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

I'd warrant that a lot of bikes went to cities so that people could stop huffing other people's coughs on public transportation, not to people who own garages.

Nah, lots of suburbanites bought a ton of bikes so they could get out of the house from their full time WFH gigs. Come any colder temperatures and they’re not riding and a good chunk of them will give up the hobby.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

me your dad posted:

Clipless pedal question: if I feel a slight bit of play when I pull my foot forward when clipped in, is that a sign that I need pedal adjustments, new pedals, new cleats/shoes, or a combination? I don't feel as attached to my bike as I'd like.

I go through a set of cleats about every year so start with that if they're old.

Also have to occasionally re-grease and tighten up the bearings.

The cage parts on some pedals is replaceable so that would be the next step before just getting new pedals.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

jamal posted:

I go through a set of cleats about every year so start with that if they're old.

Also have to occasionally re-grease and tighten up the bearings.

The cage parts on some pedals is replaceable so that would be the next step before just getting new pedals.

Thanks. The shoes are old and the cleats are so beat up I don't even know if I can get them off. I'll have to clean them up to see how the bolts are looking.

Speaking of bolts, does anyone have advice for getting stripped hex bolts out? I bought a set of replacement Rogue grips without the lock-on rings since I already own some but the bolts on my current grips are pretty rounded.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Try for a slight upsize with a torx bolt if you have one. Then extractor bolts if you have those.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Try for a slight upsize with a torx bolt if you have one. Then extractor bolts if you have those.

Thanks. I should have a T25 wrench in my box. I'll see how compatible the fit is. If nothing else, I'll need to bring the bike into the shop after Christmas for a headset replacement and I can ask them to do it then.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

me your dad posted:

Thanks. The shoes are old and the cleats are so beat up I don't even know if I can get them off. I'll have to clean them up to see how the bolts are looking.

Speaking of bolts, does anyone have advice for getting stripped hex bolts out? I bought a set of replacement Rogue grips without the lock-on rings since I already own some but the bolts on my current grips are pretty rounded.

Dremel + flathead screwdriver, or if even that doesn't work, super glue a cheap allen wrench in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - those are great ideas I would have never thought of.