Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I just did my first ride in zwift with a kickr core. The power I was putting out looked pretty consistent with my normal rides but zwift had me going much faster than usual (~19 mph instead of ~15 irl). Is that normal? Was it just because the first ride is on the flat course?

Also, I didn’t feel much at all different on the 8% grade hill they throw at you. I did an 8% climb irl on saturday and it was much worse!

oh and i put all the fans on like everyone says in here so thanks everyone for always talking about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Average power was 208, weighted average was 232. Maybe the speed makes sense? I never get that fast irl but maybe my routes are too hilly.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

Wahoo kickr core, 11 speed cassette, and floor mat on the way :homebrew: Do I need anything else aside from an Apple TV hooked up to a spare monitor? Already have three decent fans at my disposal.

do you have the tools to put the cassette on?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
handlebars aren’t locked straight forward while you’re on the trainer. accidents happen, you might twist those handlebars. and when you pedal hard the bike will rock side to side. it would be safer to make sure neither of those things will cause your fork to fall off that block.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I picked up a kickr core and it’s not the same height as my back wheel, resulting in my seat angle being goofed up when the bike is on the trainer. Is there a fix for this?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Too high or too low? If it's too high, a block under the front wheel is what you need. (This is a standard problem with trainers)

too low

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TobinHatesYou posted:

If the front-end is too low, just wedge something underneath the front tire. There are branded products for this, but like, a block of wood will do. If the rear is too low, then you'll probably have to shove a plywood board underneath the whole thing or something...

Also if the bike is going to be on the trainer all season long, you can just adjust the saddle position.

It's the rear being too low that's the problem. I'll have to give everything another look. It seemed possible to make the trainer higher by fashioning a shim and putting it in the base.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Shadowhand00 posted:

Hi, instead of building your own, why don't you just buy something like this for $9:

https://www.amazon.com/bike-trainer-front-wheel-block/s?k=bike+trainer+front+wheel+block

He doesn't have his front wheel on because there's not space to have both the front wheel and the fan in front of the bike. I would probably just move the fan over and leave the front wheel on but if he's gonna keep it how it is it seems like a good idea to affix one of these to the block, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Quick+Release+Fork+Mount+Bike+Block+135&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss or get a pedestal fan so there's room for a fan and the front wheel.

Dren fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 19, 2021

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does an ERG mode workout at a single power level the whole time hurt more than an outdoor effort of the same duration and average wattage? It sure feels that way to me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The main one for me is that it's much less fun than riding your bike outside

agree. I should’ve clarified that by “harder” I meant my legs hurt more when I was finished the ERG mode effort.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

jamal posted:

I'm still a little confused as to what exactly all these people are doing. Is it that they are cheating somehow with the trainer calibration and then adjusting the backup power to match?

Where the better way to cheat is apparently by changing the calibration settings of your power sources and not trying to edit the fit file?

the dumb way to cheat is to only use a single power source, then copy that file, bump all the values up by 2%, and submit that as the second file

the smart way to cheat is to miscalibrate your trainer on the spindown then bump the values on the 2nd power meter’s fit file by a corresponding percentage.

if zwift wants to curb cheating something that would go a long way is requiring use of a head unit that digitally signs the fit file. they’d need to convince garmin and wahoo to add that in or make their own head unit.

Dren fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 24, 2021

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I put a little water on it from my bottle. My bottle is in a 60F basement. It’s brisk.

water from ur bottle shouldn’t work. it needs electrolytes in it, so spit. maybe ur water has crazy high TDS so it works?

TobinHatesYou posted:

This part is, however, worse than death.

accurate

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My kickr core has stopped reporting power, cadence, and speed. Seems like the ESD issue. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/wahoo-ceo-details-fixes-for-issues-surrounding-kickr-2018-kickr-core.html

I put in a ticket with wahoo support :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren posted:

My kickr core has stopped reporting power, cadence, and speed. Seems like the ESD issue. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/wahoo-ceo-details-fixes-for-issues-surrounding-kickr-2018-kickr-core.html

I put in a ticket with wahoo support :(

Resolution to this was that out of warranty it’s a $250 replacement + $40 shipping + $650 deposit (refunded when you ship the old unit back). The standard warranty period on a new kickr is 1 year. The replacement unit comes with a 120 day warranty. I got a replacement and it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

How much will it cost to ship back to them? Can't be cheap..

That’s included in the $40 shipping fee. They send you a label. The replacement unit only has the kickr core. No AC adapter, no QR. You box yours up in the box they sent you and send it back.