Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Oh gently caress, old teams gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

this is all a temporary fun thing they are doing during the siesta. this has no meaning or impact on the next season, and a few of the teams are new made up players (including the devs)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Memnaelar posted:

So, is there any sort of... readable primer for starting blaseball? I just joined after seeing it all over my Twitter feed, randomly picked a team and idol whose names sounded cool... and now?

This is a good in-depth primer on the game. Or alternatively, here's a more succinct one. Most community stuff (which is a huge part of the experience) and live chat during games happens on the Discord, which you can find a link to in the first doc. There's also the wiki's timeline for an overview of the major historical events in the game so far.

The game just started a special event called the Coffee Cup where players from the regular teams are sorted into temporary teams based on coffee preference (one of many "stats" that the players have), so some systems like elections aren't active right now. The regular game will start up again in, I dunno, probably a few weeks?

Your chosen team might also have some kind of primer/new fan's guide specific to that team with more detail on your team (unless your chosen team is one of the new temporary teams for the Coffee Cup), go to your team's channel in the discord and check the pins.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 17, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Memnaelar posted:

So, is there any sort of... readable primer for starting blaseball? I just joined after seeing it all over my Twitter feed, randomly picked a team and idol whose names sounded cool... and now?

this video is a good rundown of everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5t8DwnDE1k

but basically you bet on games while they're happening, and spend your coins on improving your bets/voting for things in the store.

there is a long offseason happening right now to improve the game in various ways; to make things go a little better they're doing an exhibition tourney every tuesday with new teams with players reassigned based on their coffee preferences

the rest of it is immersing yourself in fan content that's getting made about and around it, usually by poking around the wiki and the discord

that brings me to why i came to this thread today: the garages did a live set for desert bus for hope and it was fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3xIfbsYxM

the live album of that set is also up (plus bonus tracks), proceeds also go to the charity

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

w00tmonger posted:

Oh gently caress, old teams gone?

Nah, they're still chilling over here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

think of the Coffee Cup as the Olympics except by coffee preference instead of nation-state.

[FOGHORN SOUND]

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Does Parker MacMillan's status as our court-mandated best friend only apply to Parker MacMillan IIII? Because apparently we're on Parker IIIII now.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
My man, Nerd Pacheco, is knocked out of the Coffee Cup in the first round.

First momentous blaseball decision to make - maintain my loyalty or come back to my Nerd down the line.

May cost me coins, but I'm leaning towards the former. Gotta stand by my Nerd.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

With both Qais Dogwalker and Wyatt Pothos in their rotation, Milk Proxy Society has to be the odds-on favorite.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
I also recommend all of everything that official the official ILB Ambassador has written, starting with the primer. https://catacalypto.substack.com/p/i-am-all-love-blaseball-and-so-can

That live version of In the Feedback is kind of incredible, highly recommend it.

Coffee Cup day 1 was hilarious if only because SIBR was the first team to WILDLY be doing data crimes.

marhom fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 19, 2020

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of SIBR, there's some... Idk what to call it:
https://twitter.com/WTFBSplortRadio/status/1329232531388993536?s=20
https://twitter.com/SIBROfficial/status/1329193643773730822?s=19

On the bright side they finally solved the Total Salmon Extinction of 2017.

perc2
May 16, 2020

getting into this

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

mark several dates on your calendars, folks

https://twitter.com/blaseball/status/1350282807222824960/photo/1

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Commissioner is (Not) Doing a Great Job

(joke shamelessly stolen but still good)

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Blaseball back March 1st.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/377494/THE_GRAND_SIESTA_IS_OVER.php

Gamasutra posted:

New Key Features:

Concessions! You can now buy snacks! Also votes are snacks.
Mysterious weekly team tarot readings. †
The FEED: an easier way to track events as they happen so you're not always playing catch-up in discord or on twitter!
The long-anticipated Crabitat! The Crabs get their ballpark and then [redacted]
Wills: Deeper strategy for every team. Your community organization will go even further than before.
On Season and Off Season: New pacing of 3 weeks on, and 2 weeks off, the latter offering fans the downtime they need to get caught up with recaps, media and events via The Feed. The Game Band may even have some surprise events lined up

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hell yes, finally

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

finally life has meaning again

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
The commissioner is doing a great job.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Unironically excited to reach the playoffs and lose round one yet again!

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Think I'm going to try to get into this.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Let's go BEAMS!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

As a resident of Chicago and someone most assuredly from Chicago, I am super pumped about this. I also love 3 on, 2 off. It seems much less hectic for everybody.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TOMORROW

(Make sure to log in tonight and get your free Flute to switch back to your team)

WAFC

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Hey... psst... hey.... it's time to wake up, everyone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

TOMORROW

(Make sure to log in tonight and get your free Flute to switch back to your team)

WAFC

But I already joined my local team once it was added?

We Got Swole y’all

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

harperdc posted:

But I already joined my local team once it was added?

We Got Swole y’all

You missed out on the entire Coffee Cup during the siesta?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

WHOSE KICKS OUR KICKS

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Concessions up soonish.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
We are all love

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

After a quick scan of the concessions, the most notable thing standing out to me is that idol swapping between pitchers seems to be significantly nerfed. With maxed out idol pendants I was getting 200 coins per strikeout and 10k per shutout, that's been reduced to 43 and 2,630 respectively.

I think that's a good change, swapping between pitchers just outpaced hitters by so much. Taco baco everyone, let's rejoice.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
this is targeted harassment against the pitching machine and I will not stand for it

In the interim, if people tuned out during the siesta:

Parker 3 died during the trial, for reasons. Parker 4 died during the coffee cup, also for... reasons?

The Garages released approximately seventeen thousand albums, all of which were at least "pretty good"

Parker 5 is Scores Baserunner's dad. legally (do not copy) (thanks SIBR I guess)

Cat dropped s11 (and really, Discipline era capstone piece) recap just tonight: https://catacalypto.substack.com/p/after-the-fire

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

You missed out on the entire Coffee Cup during the siesta?

oh duh that's right, for some reason "once a week" slipped by me.

the whole website just updated, and it's pretty nifty.

...and uh it looks like they're adding On Fire mode from NBA Jam to the batters from this season?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

harperdc posted:

oh duh that's right, for some reason "once a week" slipped by me.

the whole website just updated, and it's pretty nifty.

...and uh it looks like they're adding On Fire mode from NBA Jam to the batters from this season?

Spicy has been there for a while. Sandie Turner got it first, then the season when we voted on weather decrees, one player on each team got it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Spicy has been there for a while. Sandie Turner got it first, then the season when we voted on weather decrees, one player on each team got it.

ah okay I double checked, I guess it's been too long.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
This is an extremely called shot: the new UX around Wills is going to be used narratively (probably in the last week of this 3/2) by the Boss to drive divisions in the playerbase.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The concept of inventory limits certainly is a choice too.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

harperdc posted:

just saw this come up in discord which... huh.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

harperdc posted:

I immediately broke the inventory. I don't know how. I can't actually use my 8th slot. It just exists, perpetually empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tzarnal posted:

I immediately broke the inventory. I don't know how. I can't actually use my 8th slot. It just exists, perpetually empty.

Not being able to move things around and having my popcorn and stale popcorn not right next to eachother is going to drive me loving insane.