Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Just tuned into my first live hockey game and I'm greeted with Oh Canada.

Hockey is surprisingly rad. It's so fast paced and there's men punching the poo poo out of each other within five minutes of the game and then they get a little time out time like it's daycare.

Go Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Someone please explain the goalie numbers.

I saw something like 12-23-3.

I figure it's W-L but what's the last number? Draws? There's draws in hockey?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What should I know as a new hockey watched? My favorite sport is baseball and soccer so bear with me.

This is like soccer on skates. It rocks.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ThinkTank posted:

If you're having trouble following the puck, don't worry about it too much. It's not really possible to see it at every moment even for experienced fans, look for body language and the way guys are facing/reaching with their sticks. It generally becomes obvious who has the puck after a moment or two if you lose track of it.

Fights are rare these days so don't expect to see one (although there was actually one earlier).

Like in all sports, Boston sucks.

It is very hard to follow but I'm having fun with the action!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

grassy gnoll posted:

Hockey is fast and they can fight dudes. Reffing is remarkably terrible, and there's less selling for penalties than in soccer because you usually either get away with murder or get called for nothing. If one of the players attempts to move the puck down the ice, but it goes over the short glass along the long sides of the rink, regardless of intent, it's a penalty and it's loving garbage.

You should ask questions whenever they occur to you.

Short glass? You mean the glass on the edge of rink?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What is a power play?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm new to hockey and even I know the Canes are playing better. They have control of the puck far more. I'm mesmerized by the skating and the way the players control the puck with their sticks. That was very physical and awesome but it's also so overwhelming to the senses as a newcomer. It's like being pushed into the deep end.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’d guess the rangers had less than 5 minutes of time in the o-zone that period

And probably like less than 2 minutes actually in control and attacking

shameful period, lucky to only be down by 1

Rangers hockey, baby

I'm rooting for the Rangers but please explain o-zone

Is that near the other teams goal?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

grassy gnoll posted:

The plexiglass around the rink is the boundary of play. The shorter panes are relevant because chipping the puck over those causes the delay of game penalty, but hitting it out over the taller panes around the goals is just a stoppage of play.

If your team is guilty of a penalty infraction, you lose a player for two minutes for a minor, four for a double minor, or five for a major penalty. You can also lose more than one player if multiple dudes have committed a penalty during the same incident or stretch of time, though you won't be down more than two men on the ice. This makes it easier for the other team to score, for obvious reasons. If the team on the power play scores on a minor penalty, that's it - the PP is over and done with. They can keep playing with a man advantage if they're benefiting for the duration of a major penalty.

Normally you can't just dump the puck down the rink without a stoppage of play. If you're defending on a PP, you can, which is what Carolina's been doing fairly frequently, because they're being morons.

I don't understand what's so bad about shooting the puck over it? This feels like the most random of rules? My entire reaction to this post is ...but why? Two minute penalty for accidentally hitting a puck over some glass? What the gently caress.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Levitate posted:

before it was a penalty teams would just intentionally shoot the puck over the glass in the defensive zone anytime they started facing pressure and couldn't easily break the puck out. The penalty was an attempt to stop that behavior

Arivia posted:

Because it’s an easy way to save yourself in a defensive situation otherwise. It’s classified as “delay of game” because it would be an easy way to get your defenders a break instead of letting the offense keep attacking.

Ah, that makes sense.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Rangers are playing better offense!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Levitate posted:

Zibanejad still looking MIA

I have no idea who that is!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
This was my first live game and it was incredible.

Set play of basketball, the spacing/back and forth of soccer, the machismo of football, dexterity and precision of baseball.

I loved it. Go Rangers.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Is overtime that unpopular?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Aphrodite posted:

No, no. He's saying the opposite.

Watching overtime playoff hockey will make your heart feel like you're on a motorcycle airdrop on coke.

I figured, but I'm also literal minded/autistic brained so I figured I'd ask.

The game was one giant adrenaline pump. It was insane. I didn't know sports could make me feel like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Matt Zerella posted:

You didn't feel it when you watched the Devils Rangers Matteau game I linked you? Cmon now :)

Welcome aboard RAS!

No I loved it!