Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MorrisBae posted:

MLB C/V August: A Plague of Their Own

Are you infectious? There's no infection in baseball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah if you click through, people in the comments were pointing out that Judge's OBP is like 50 points higher so I would assume the OPS+ is about that different.

Kepler probably plays better defense though :v:

Seems like Kepler is also better at not being injury prone. :v:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ProperCoochie posted:

Pulling a no-call no-show to a lovely company full of idiots is one of life's greatest pleasures.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1290022370984378368

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

edit - from Epic High Five

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even if he completely ghosted the team and left without warning, who loving cares? This season is Spring Training 2.0 at best, we’re in the middle of an out of control pandemic that’s already seen several teams sidelined entirely due to infections, and the commissioner spent the entire week prepping ways for the public to blame players for a shutdown even though his office has done less than the bare minimum to ensure their safety. And you’re really going to poo poo on a guy for just throwing up his hands and saying “to hell with this poo poo”?

Not to mention that, again, we’ve yet to hear Cespedes’ side. You’re taking the front office’s statement as gospel when they have a vested interest in deferring blame.

It's this. Cespedes could have been having the best start of his career and walking away, with or without notice, is a perfectly reasonable thing to do this season because the league has completely hosed things up.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jupiter Jazz posted:

It's still bizarre.

Even going by the Athletic, he let teammates know but never told management and had his agent talk to them. It still doesn't make him look good at all. Mets definitely shouldn't have announced the whole "we have no idea where Cespedes is! He could be dead!!!" but Ces also did himself no favors. Why can't the Mets be normal? Save us, Cohen!

Much like you should use always use a lawyer when talking to a cop regardless of the circumstances; using your agent to talk to management about you leaving the season is probably the right thing to do since your agent is there to communicate issues and deal with management.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

And then Carlos Correa was just like "shut the gently caress up, assholes" a couple of times so now we all hate Correa a bunch. And then he yelled at a guy who made him look silly striking out on curves that he should have thrown a fastball and he would have crushed it. So now we laugh at him a bunch.

Lmao

I'd throw him nothing but breaking balls now and taunt him every single time.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Should have walked the first batter. Then it would have been a fly out and a double play. :colbert:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao at the crybabies lamenting a grand slam because the score was already too high.

Here's the deal: baseball is both a team game AND an individual game. The battle between the pitcher and the batter is a one on one test, regardless of the situation, count or score, with only 2 true outcomes: a win for the batter in the form of a hit or walk or a win for the pitcher with a strikeout or ball hit directly to a fielder leading to an out. And thus every single at bat should be played as hard as possible to determine if who wins that particular test at that particular time. And that means that when a pitcher grooves a 3-0 fastball down the middle of the plate then you should do your absolute best to rocket that ball into outer space even if the bases are loaded and your team is up 50-0.

And remember, the difference between a home run and a long fly ball is like an inch. So hell for all we know, Tatis was trying to hit into a double play and just hit the sweet spot instead.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Despite the fact that this season is stupid, having all sorts of stuffed animals and dumb pictures in the stands amuses the poo poo out of me. And things like that just make it even better.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Nah, All of it makes perfect sense. Everyone is probably telling the truth here.

I bet the players did come to Heyward and volunteer to sit with him, I bet he did say go ahead and play.

Most people have been in a situation where they have told friends, SO's or acquaintances, or had a friend tell them

"nah It's cool go on ahead"
"I'm fine, go have fun with your friends"
"Nah, yall go into the bar, I'll just head back"

etc etc

And either had people make the decision to sit and stay with you or make the decision to go on ahead like you said.

It's just The Dodgers players had an extra give a gently caress to say "nah gently caress that, you sit, we sit" in them that the Cubs players didn't have.

It is what it is...

I've been thinking about it a bit over the course of today and if it is true that Heyward told the rest of the Cubs to play then I just can't really bring myself to condemn the rest of the Cubs for playing, even though they really shouldn't have played.

Maybe it's just me, but I loving hate that " 'I'm fine, you go play' while secretly wanting the person to not play" type bullshit because I don't feel like it's real leadership. It's a mixed message and I feel like a real leader should not be afraid to directly state what they believe is the right thing for EVERYONE to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

The thing is the rest of the players don't need Heyward's permission to opt to not play. Heyward isn't going to tell them what to do, it's up to the rest of the players to decide if they want to support the boycot and their teammate. I'm sure Heyward 100% meant it when he told them to go ahead and play, that doesn't mean he wouldn't appreciate it if they joined him anyways.

I completely understand that, but if you've got a guy who is supposed to be a team leader saying 'I'm sitting out, but you guys should really go out and play' then it's a completely mixed message and makes people want to please someone they like, respect and consider a leader by doing what they say.

I would be much more unforgiving of the rest of the Cubs if Heyward had said "I'm sitting out because of this" (without telling the rest of the team to play) or "I'm think we should all strike for the day" and then they decided to keep playing anyway. But as it stands, while I would have preferred it if the entire team had sat out, I can completely understand why they played and can't really write them off with this type of reasoning:

Poque posted:

They had a choice and they made it.