Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Chihuahuas generally have good temperaments, so do Bichons (which is one of the most well mannered breeds). There's just an odd stereotype against them because, as usual, chihuahuas were (and still are) a popular breed, and when a breed is popular the amount of incompetent owners increases proportionally. I've known as many heinously poorly trained Pirs, Labs, Retrievers, Shibas, etc. as any other breed. If the breed is popular it will have tons of examples of irresponsible owners. People buy and adopt dogs on a whim.

People just project weird personal poo poo onto animals. From all the vet tech work I've done I've known a staggering amount of people with animus against small breeds because they consider them "gay" or effete. People who treat dogs as status symbols are uniformly garbage. So do people who instinctually loathe breeds because of the owner's stupidity.

At least have some awareness of your own brainless bias before getting bizarrely mad at small dogs.

Honestly if most people realized that they can't have a loving Pit in their tiny rear end apartment and just got a small breed the world would be a much better place with way less Pits in shelters because people just always want the hot-ticket status breed instead of something that actually suits their circumstances.

how would you describe a shiba inu because ive been thinking of getting one for awhile. i know they are high energy, but I like walking around my neighborhood a lot so i think that'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Big Beef City posted:

Little white dogs DO suck rear end, tho

No.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Haha yeah but no they do they're terrible it's ok I understand the concern and care in your post I just wish that every small white dog died right now

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
big beef city I need you here: _ cause right now you're here: ¯

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OMFG FURRY posted:

how would you describe a shiba inu because ive been thinking of getting one for awhile. i know they are high energy, but I like walking around my neighborhood a lot so i think that'll help.

Very smart, extremely aloof, quite nippy in their youth, are difficult to train because they are very stubborn and want to do their own thing, they shed like mad, but their personalities are very endearing and once trained they make for a dog that is quite independent if you have a backyard they can busy themselves in, they do well on their own as long as they can keep themselves distracted. They do decently in apartments at the least. It's a toss up with how affectionate they are though, and they can be noisy if you don't train them to not bark at strangers properly.

Also like many other primal breeds they love to scream, which is extremely funny, but again noisy.

Shibas are super idiosyncratic, so if you want a clever, willful breed that is guaranteed to have an odd personality then they're a good pick, just know that if you don't have a training service you can take them to and you're not adopting an older dog, training them will seriously test your patience.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The_Continental posted:

Most dogs enjoy the training process because the most effective way to train is through positive reinforcement. Its one of the best ways for an owner to bond with their dog.
i give my dog positive reinforcement for being a wacky roommate instead
also wwf-style wrestling

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Plant MONSTER. posted:

big beef city I need you here: _ cause right now you're here: ¯

Because I used dumb verbage to tease lsbb about dogs?
Relax homey.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Big Beef City posted:

Because I used dumb verbage to tease lsbb about dogs?
Relax homey.

gently caress you!! I'm NOT relaxed!! My thing I just said to you was meant to be silly as well hence the use of a macron. what goddamn idiot out of their gourd would use a macron in a serious post?

It's loving on now, Big Beef. It's on.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yapping like my neighbors little white dog, drat

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

People just project weird personal poo poo onto animals. From all the vet tech work I've done I've known a staggering amount of people with animus against small breeds because they consider them "gay" or effete.

This is by far and away the main reason people hate small dogs, by like a million miles.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Pugs are such horrific toxic mutants that the only fitting end to them is splattered across a windscreen à la Robocop.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I actually do like small dogs, though. Pomeranians are super cute, chihuahuas are cute - the ones I've met have all been nice and chill. Same with the papillons. Pugs are cute if you know how to deftly dodge their snot bullets.

All the bichons/small curly dogs I've met have been sucky, though. :shrug: I don't think "aww" when I see one, I think "eww"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Xaintrailles posted:

Pugs are such horrific toxic mutants that the only fitting end to them is splattered across a windscreen à la Robocop.

Be like the mighty underscore, not the lowly macron.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 2, 2020

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i've met really sweet chiuhuauas but ALL of them have had horrible rotting teeth and terrible couch clearing breathe.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
My great grandmother had a small white curly dog and it was an evil creature
the old ladies among my neighbors seem to be members of a cult dedicated to the care and feeding of the foul beasts
what possible reason could one person need with THREE small white curly dogs
I muse while peering suspiciously out my window, curtains pulled slightly aside

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Chihuahuas generally have good temperaments, so do Bichons (which is one of the most well mannered breeds). There's just an odd stereotype against them because, as usual, chihuahuas were (and still are) a popular breed, and when a breed is popular the amount of incompetent owners increases proportionally. I've known as many heinously poorly trained Pirs, Labs, Retrievers, Shibas, etc. as any other breed. If the breed is popular it will have tons of examples of irresponsible owners. People buy and adopt dogs on a whim.

People just project weird personal poo poo onto animals. From all the vet tech work I've done I've known a staggering amount of people with animus against small breeds because they consider them "gay" or effete. People who treat dogs as status symbols are uniformly garbage. So do people who instinctually loathe breeds because of the owner's stupidity.

At least have some awareness of your own brainless bias before getting bizarrely mad at small dogs.

Honestly if most people realized that they can't have a loving Pit in their tiny rear end apartment and just got a small breed the world would be a much better place with way less Pits in shelters because people just always want the hot-ticket status breed instead of something that actually suits their circumstances.

people are frickin weird about dogs but anecdotally smaller breeds i've seen tend to be more aggressive than larger breeds - largely cause aggressive behaviour in dogs is often linked to them being afraid.

that said all dogs are good dogs, people shouldn't inbreed them so they get hosed up health problems but any dog can be traumatized or raised badly. or can be raised well.

thing with pits and really any powerful dog is that it matters a hell of a lot more if they are traumatized or raised badly cause they can inflict serious damage.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I wish aliens would do to us what we have done to dogs.

OMFG FURRY posted:

maybe they already have :tinfoil:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

dogs are dumb and annoying and loud and people who own them have separation complexes and they think that just because a dog looks as if it's smiling at them when it wants food that it means that the dog loves them like a human

cats at least are just real with it, and you just need to give them food water and a place to poo poo and you don't ever have to take them outside or do anything with them and they're fine

dogs are like perpetual babies that never grow up, what kind of sadist submits themselves to that poo poo

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I like birds

Musluk
May 23, 2011

post more weird misshapen green dog

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

dogs are dumb and annoying and loud and people who own them have separation complexes and they think that just because a dog looks as if it's smiling at them when it wants food that it means that the dog loves them like a human

cats at least are just real with it, and you just need to give them food water and a place to poo poo and you don't ever have to take them outside or do anything with them and they're fine

dogs are like perpetual babies that never grow up, what kind of sadist submits themselves to that poo poo

Dogs manage to sniff and lick butts w/o almost killing themselves, so

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AHH F/UGH posted:

this is a lot of words to say "i'm a sociopath"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Musluk posted:

post more weird misshapen green dog

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My parents had two dogs; lost one dog and, I guess, felt she was lonely. The puppy became head honcho in no time. Her traits changed and they are now like a duo. She's the big momma still, he is just a little bit bigger and WAY stronger.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All dogs are precious even the ugly one you’re about to quote-reply at me.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Stunt_enby posted:

this is a lot of words to say "i'm a sociopath"

i'm not a bird owner, so no

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

All dogs are precious even the ugly one you’re about to quote-reply at me.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

im a sociopath because i don't want to deal with a pet that needs to go outside to poo poo, drools constantly, barks a lot, has bad breath and needs to be bathed because it can't keep itself clean?

yeah okay. did you think that maybe im just a lazy rear end goon and a cat fits my living "style" of a hermit better?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m getting a pug. Before you all get pissed at me, it was an oops-litter, they meant to keep their dogs separated while the momma pug was in heat, but apparently human intellect, opposable thumbs, and baby gates are no match for the sheer horniness of two small dogs. They’re getting them both fixed ASAP, and I’m definitely getting Mrs. Maisel fixed. Oh yeah I’m naming her Mrs. Maisel.

These people, who are friends of mine, need the money. Also, their grandson was born with his liver and intestines outside his body and a severe cleft palate, had to spend months in the NICU and will require extensive medical care for a very long time. Really, I’m doing a good deed by buying her and not getting a shelter dog. Can you tell I’m trying to justify to myself knowingly adopting a mutant victim of AKC eugenics?

I’m still getting her, though.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Get that dog

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I legitimately feel bad for people who cant or don't know how awesome dogs are.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Cats and dogs are the same animal.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Cats and dogs are the same animal.

My cat bugs me to play fetch, licks my face constantly, and chases his tail. This tracks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

PinheadSlim posted:

My cat bugs me to play fetch, licks my face constantly, and chases his tail. This tracks.

I know and that's why the phrase "Fight like cats and dogs" never made any sense to me until I realized that the worst fights humans ever fought were against other humans. Now I see the wisdom in the words.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

borzoi look like some silent hill poo poo and i refuse to be near one

That’s a horse

Musluk
May 23, 2011

:tipshat:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Matlack Radio posted:

Longhair Afghan Hounds(Saruman dogs) are hideous.

97% of dalmatians are unredeemable beasts of discourtesy.

Wtf that's a good dog if I ever saw one (gently caress any pet owner who gets a hound in an urban setting tho )

I'd storm Helms deep for this doggo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

AHH F/UGH posted:

blocked

AHH F/UGH posted:

i'm not a bird owner, so no

blocked

Wendigee posted:

im a sociopath because i don't want to deal with a pet that needs to go outside to poo poo, drools constantly, barks a lot, has bad breath and needs to be bathed because it can't keep itself clean?

yeah okay. did you think that maybe im just a lazy rear end goon and a cat fits my living "style" of a hermit better?

blocked

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

its all good man no coating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019