Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Screama posted:

I just rewatched Cormier/Stipe I this weekend and yeah I think Stipe takes the 3rd fight. DC did hit him with some very solid shots in both their fights, but like BrotherJayne said, I think the path to victory is just so clear for Stipe. Maybe a very high-level game plan and better training camp could be the difference for DC, depending on how they've both used the lockdown time. I do like Cormier a lot and would love to see him take this W and retire on top but this sport rarely works out that way :smith:

Stipe was unable to train for a long time while DC literally built a gym and a cage in his house and flew in a bunch of different people to train with, he's also not coaching high school wrestling or doing a bunch of other poo poo. But I don't really know if any of that will save him from collapsing if he gets hit in the stomach 5 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

Ideally, I want an exciting 5 round fight that ends in a split decision for stipe. DC can retire and be full time wrestledad, stipe can hang around to be champ.

Do you mean you want Stipe to win 3 rounds and DC to win 2 rounds? Or do you literally mean you want the judges to disagree on who won?

beep by grandpa posted:

Like, face challenger after challenger within the same event?

Uhh, sure, yes :getin:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I basically never watch the post-fight analyst desk stuff, I always got the impression back in the Fox days that it was meant for people who didn't watch the fights or if they did, didn't know what they were looking at because they just happened to catch it on TV. Am I wrong on that?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/AngieOverkill/status/1290382818007068672

Edit: LMAO, also

https://twitter.com/AngieOverkill/status/1290525731219357697

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 4, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

I got too high to talk one time and had the best flow state roll I've ever had against one of my black belt friends.

Were they also really high?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

moctopus posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on how Weidman vs. Akhmedov is going to go? I don't remember Akhmedov's fights even though I'm pretty sure I've his last four. It seems like a pretty big jump in competition for Akhmedov.

Wide man is gonna miss weight and get knocked out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/AngieOverkill/status/1291204010830045184

Angie's the best.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

last time he got embarrassingly knocked out he got 100 times better so i'm hoping the same happened here and he's the best fighter of all time now

Are you talking about Aldo or Roop?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

That looks pretty silly, including Lineker throwing uppercuts that seem to land like...2 feet away from Struve's head and yet he still gets hit by them, pretty clear the height doesn't actually do anything.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Is...that just photoshopped? there's a different video of exactly that length up in that slot now.

edit: oops too slow.

Anyway ya'll should go watch that Beneil video because he loving owns.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1291772497189195777

Sure, why not.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

funny, that

And that was like two days ago, so I'm gonna guess Dana made clear to Figueiredo exactly how little decisionmaking and negotiating power the flyweight champion actually possesses right now.

Yeah, on paper I kinda get how it's stupid to give Cody a 125 title shot based on a 1 fight win streak at 135, but in practice who the gently caress else are you gonna give that shot to? It can't be Joey B, #2 and #3 are Brandon Moreno and Askar Askarov and they both fought to a split draw with each other, they each won two fights after that, and Moreno probably deserves it a bit more due to beating Formiga but I think Deiveson crushes them both. At least Cody still sells PPVs.

Actually it should probably be Alex Perez, but he fought really recently, and his late 2018 loss to joey B looks real bad. Weird division. Anyway does anyone think Jennifer Maia has a chance?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

GDT for Oleinik v Lewis, come chat about fights.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

And literally no one will tune in for it.

People who don't pay enough attention to realize Woodley is 38 years old now will tune in, for example:

Southpaugh posted:

Woodley got it I hope. Colby is very beatable for him in the first 2 rounds imo, he just needs to stop being so timid and throw some bombs job done. I mean I just described his whole career but one fight off script towards the end of his career. C'mon for justice tyron.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

I was happy for Burns to win, but I really really really don't want Covington to beat Woodley

In other news, UFC 4 looking pretty good. Watch to the end.

https://i.imgur.com/iZhUyB0.mp4

I feel like I haven't ever seen clips like this from UFC3, did this kind of thing happen in that game too or is this one worse in that regard?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So this weekend's card is kinda falling apart huh.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1293629724837765122

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Guess Bellator wasn't interested.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

It's not super clear what actually happened, as far as anyone can tell it's Bloody Elbow said that News.AM said that Edmund said that Dana White said...

So that's 2 or 3 idiots in the broken phone chain depending on how you feel about Karim Zidan on any given day.

Edit:

Khabib holding some press conference right now taking questions, I tuned in midway, so far he's mostly been talking about how the fight prep is helping distract him from everything going on around him, when asked about Gaethje he told a story about how he helped him cut weight for the last few lbs because they were lacking people to help, due to Omari Akhmedov and Islam Makhachev also cutting weight for the same evening.

Ugh I was planning to keep watching and translate more relevant stuff but the mic that have Khabib talking in to is super low and the mic they're giving reporters for asking questions is way too hot, leaving the link to the video here so I can come back to it later, maybe.

Brut fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 14, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

they really need to change it so the people with the power to stop the fight don't also have an incentive to keep it going just in case their fighter gets a miracle KO

I'm really getting sick of fighters saying they're done between rounds and the corners talking them into going back out and taking a whole load of unnecessary punishment

Change it to what? The fighter can already tell the ref they're done at any point, it's not like the corner can overrule them once they do.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

You appreciate that fighters have social relationships with their teams and that telling the ref they are done (unilaterally) could result in anything from a stern talking to, to a full on destruction of the relationship?

Corners and their monetary interest in a win are also part of the problem.

If a fighter sits down between rounds, is completely sure that they're done, tells the corner to stop the fight so they don't have to do it themselves (even though it doesn't really matter since we have corner cams/mics these days) and they just don't listen to them and send them out there, gently caress that corner and gently caress that relationship, why should I care?

More to the point though, I still don't understand what (if anything) is actually being suggested as an alternative to the current system.

Slotducks posted:

The "incentive" for winning is already there by being in the UFC - you have to perform regardless to stay up.

Show/Win pay structure is just doubling that factor - it's stupid.

Yeah, the show/win system is pretty dumb, maybe cutting it completely down to a flat fee just for showing up is too much but the split should probably be around 75/25 or maybe even 80/20, not 50/50.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

Is JDS gonna die or is Big Boi still suffering CTE from his fight with Francis?

Uh, the answer to your second question is definitely yes. I'm not sure about the first question.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Somebody forgot to tell Herbert Burns that his fight was actually at featherweight this time, not 150lbs catchweight again, he weighed in at 149.5.

T.J. Brown 146.5 (vs Danny Chavez, 146), but who gives a poo poo. No other misses.

Stipe 233, DC 236.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Refs are damned if they stop it early and damned if they don't and in sports, people tend to say the best thing a ref can be is invisible.
So they should always aim to do it early if it's touch and go because it will have a tangible benefit for the defeated fighter and i'd much rather see a massively poo poo early stoppage than a massively poo poo late one like when Aldo was murdered by Yan

Yeah other than really silly poo poo like Cutelaba vs Ankalaev (dude faking being wobbled) I can't really think of an early stoppage that was upsetting, even GDR vs Aspen Ladd despite seeming a bit premature was somewhat understandable. Anyone got other recentish UFC examples (lets say last 10 years), I wouldn't mind watching a bunch of early or "early" stoppages on fight pass.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Someone making a GDT for tomorrow night? I'm not gonna have time for anything higher effort than the usual paste fight card picture from UFC's twitter account shtick, does this deserve a write-up? :shrug:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'd swear there's been a bunch of questionable ones but I can't actually remember what any of them are :downs:

I guess there was that stoppage of Ricky Simon vs Merab Dvalishvili at 5 minutes of the 3rd round that maybe shouldn't have happened, but that's kind of a different thing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Off the top of my head, recently:
  • Drew Dober getting straight-up screwed against Leandro Silva by way of the referee early-stopping a guillotine, which was so egregious it got one of the extremely rare commission overturnings
  • Darren Elkins/Antonio Carvalho, in which Carvalho got flashed by a hook but sprung back to his feet before he could even fully hit the ground and had the fight stopped as he was standing up (bonus: despite being on a 2-fight winning streak the UFC cut Carvalho after this)
  • Sabah Homasi/Abdul Razak Alhassan, where Herb Dean thought Homasi dropping for a single-leg was him getting knocked out by a punch that hadn't even landed, which was so egregious they did an instant rematch
The worst ever is probably still Sakuraba/Silveira from the old days.

I will check all 3 of those out, thanks!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Patch it, EA.
Does he say his own name?

This got brought up on one of the DC and Helwani shows and he was aware of it and seemed to imply that it is completely intentional, and yeah I believe he says his own name.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

who was the ref for carwin/mir im too lazy to youtube it

Big Dan.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Wait what? Stipe dominated that fight.

Stipe dominated the fight in which he got knocked out in the first round?

Edit: Oh you mean he dominated Ngannou. While that is true, he still got punched in the head a bunch by loving Ngannou, and we generally know what that does to brains.

Brut fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 16, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Garbrandt vs Munhoz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mX0pgbE08w

Good to see Munhoz back this weekend after just over a year away.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Reyes vs Santos makes the most sense, but I'm not sure if Santos is ready. Reyes vs Blachowicz is the current rumor going around though.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

That's pure madness. However you feel about performance enhancers or whatever you have to be impressed by that because it isn't easy.

https://streamable.com/wqbnn

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Rumble vs Santos for the vacant? or Rumble vs Reyes? or Rumble vs Blachowicz? Basically they're gonna hand Rumble a belt is what I'm saying.

Edit: Oh Reyes vs Blachowicz is already scheduled, huh.

Edit2: So is Santos vs Teixeira but I suspect he'll get past Glover real quick.

Brut fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 18, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Rumble vs. Anthony Smith it is then.

Smith scheduled against Rakic. :smith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Do you think Rumble will be coming back at 205? I'd assume Heavyweight.

That's what Abdelaziz is telling Okamoto.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The Automator posted:

What mcgregor fight has been garbage?

That two recent ones against old men, one in a bar, one in the octagon.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The Automator posted:

I’m not going to act like it’s an impressive accomplishment for him to beat cerrone, but it was still fun to watch 🤷🏻‍♂️

It was still fun to watch him get beat up

Just the ratio of him tweeting about fighting vs actually fighting makes it really annoying, especially with the back to back 2 year breaks lead first in to an instant titleshot, and then in to that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1296182030619861001

Also, Lewis vs Blaydes is official.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Justin_Gaethje/status/1296213314431672321

uh oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007