Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Stretch Marx posted:

In order to properly get into the new season my ingame name is now Weird Dark Coffee "Baked Bean" and has apparently powered me to my 100+ crown. They added a counter but it apparently counts all crowns received not just the ones you win. So I still don't know exactly how many I've won but whatever.

The new levels are fun so far and demonstrate, once again, that there are a lot of really stupid people out there. Also new climbing map which I enjoy.

Haven't played yet, but from I saw on the twitter previews, the new levels look a lot better than season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Stretch Marx posted:

In order to properly get into the new season my ingame name is now Weird Dark Coffee "Baked Bean" and has apparently powered me to my 100+ crown. They added a counter but it apparently counts all crowns received not just the ones you win. So I still don't know exactly how many I've won but whatever.

The new levels are fun so far and demonstrate, once again, that there are a lot of really stupid people out there. Also new climbing map which I enjoy.

My counter only shows the ones won.

The servers were down during my free 2 hours this morning, so I'll stream it tonight.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Largepotato posted:

Haven't played yet, but from I saw on the twitter previews, the new levels look a lot better than season 2.

So far they definitely are. The new obstacles are interesting as well with how much they mess up people.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Haven't played since season 1, but I gotta have that penguin.

Any summary of the season 2+3 changes? Season 2 didn't look like much at first impression.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Haven't played since season 1, but I gotta have that penguin.

:same:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Streaming the new levels. I'm not sure how I feel about them. The checkpoints seem in really poor places. I love how it looks tho.

https://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are the S2 levels out of rotation? The other three sucked rear end, but I was good at Knight Fever! It was a fine gauntlet!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

GrandpaPants posted:

Are the S2 levels out of rotation? The other three sucked rear end, but I was good at Knight Fever! It was a fine gauntlet!

knight fever I can confirm is still in rotation. I was fine with the egg one, but I won't shed a tear if vaulting it is the cost of removing the push and pull games, since the netcode just wasn't there for those two.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the new levels seem really, really hard, though I may just be rusty since I haven’t touched the game in a month

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The "ice hexagone" final is pretty fun.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the new levels seem really, really hard, though I may just be rusty since I haven’t touched the game in a month

They are not forgiving, and good luck if your team is dumb in the rolling ball one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm guessing that the counter next to my nameplate is some sort of crown progression? Any way to see what it unlocks?

The new levels are fun, but the tempo feels completely different from earlier seasons. Might just be something I get used to though. The new Rollout Finale is pretty hardcore at least.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The Rollout Finale is my dream. I love murdering on the original. Now they're practically telling me to.

Also after watching it, the crown counter definitely includes those picked up from the season progress. Also it appears there are crown lvl restricted cosmetics.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

New levels are starting to grow on me a bit. Does anyone know if the max exp for the season has changed? Is it 26k again?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Ski Fall can be best summarized with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb97AbB8M_o&ab_channel=G.Jenkins.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The new levels are alright, and I like the new finals stages. I don't like the ball rolling one as much as the others, though, and it's the same problem I have w/ the 3 team ball rolling race from season 1. Those two can both have players interfere with the progress of the other teams, which sounds great in theory, but often ends up just really dragging the round out. I think they'd work better if a relatively short timer was added to hard-cap how long the round can go.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm 4 wins out of 4 rounds played on the new icy Hex-a-gone final now, and it's not even because I play well. The others just... fall off, none of them have even been close.

Liking all of the new rounds except for the aforementioned ball roller, it's just way too easy for one or two players to bog down the ball of an entire team.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I want to like the new maps, but they're themed around what is still one of my top least favorite mechanics in games after decades: slippery floors. So they're all middling to me just because of that.

Just had my first run on the new Roll Out variant. Watched a single blue player cause the red team to have maybe 30% completed by the time yellow and blue finished. It's only just come out, but that seems a bad sign so early.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just had the penguin grab minigame for the first time. It's actually really fun, one of the penguins was trolling a group of 5 of us by repeatedly running back and forth beneath the middle platform, which was hilarious. It's like an actually fun version of the egg games.

Shame it seems to be really rare, we also had unbalanced teams when we got it, 5v5v4.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Not in love with the new levels. Conceptually some decent ideas but too many of them are kind of boring and tedious to play.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've only seen the penguin game once but it feels like they're should be, like, five penguins not two

ski free (ski fall?) is great, legit one of the best maps, thin ice is also good

the frozen peak one with wind jumps should be slime climb style because the top before the finish is so large you can have like five guys hanging out up there at the finish line, too easy to low-effort troll imo

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Holy poo poo the snowball rolling team game is unplayably awful. Or maybe it's because I'm 0 - 7 on it now because it seems to team me up with the biggest mouthbreathing morons in the game, as well as always going against players on other teams who know how to just pin my team's ball against the wall the entire time so I can't do a thing. I can't get past round 4 in the winter game mode because of this awful lovely game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else disconnecting a lot when playing the Snowy Scrap game? I've had like 4 disconnects over the last two days, and every time it has been on that round.
Feels like it happens too much to be a coincidence.

Edit: PSA: If someone is constantly jumping during the penguin grab game, it's almost impossible to get a grab on them to force them to drop the penguin. If this happens, just do a dive into them. If you hit them while they're jumping they will often fall and drop it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 20, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Hoopsie Legends is well and truly the worst level.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Disagree but only because there's a team version

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I find that the jumping and grabbing mechanics aren't good enough (i.e., tight like a platformer's would be) to justify an entire level. So instead of being wacky chaos, it just ends up being a tedious, frustrating level. I also hate Wall Guys for this reason.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My biggest issue with Hoopsie Legends is the level feels like it has no energy to me. Win or lose I don't feel any source of tension from it at all.

Really like the season 3 content, much better than season 2.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

GrandpaPants posted:

I find that the jumping and grabbing mechanics aren't good enough (i.e., tight like a platformer's would be) to justify an entire level. So instead of being wacky chaos, it just ends up being a tedious, frustrating level. I also hate Wall Guys for this reason.

Yeah, not to mention the weird network bug where the platforms would occasionally bounce into the air. Hoopsie Legends solves the original team hoop level's big complaint of "It feels like I'm not contributing to victory or loss" but then leans into one of the game's worst sins, when you win and then spend minutes just sitting there waiting for the game to end.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I love three Hoopsie Legends gametype but think the level is bad for it. I do think the gold rings ruin it they should be worth 3 so you need 2, and/or show up later in the match. Or like have all the rings go up in value as the match progresses.

I also think Hoopsie Daisy is the best team game and think Ski Fall is great except the reddit strat ruins it, so like a single extra obstacle would save it.

I dunno. I just like jumping through hoops.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The “holiday special” ad is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/WcHkrLImwe8

Santa suits for all!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
bring back the holiday show, I don't want a reminder of the shameful streamer who denied us "ask me about my butthole" shirts and sniped the winning charity bid of 42,069

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Great success!

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Yeah right before the update went live I was in a game of Block Party that ended with all the survivors being eliminated and the wall of 30 plus all being ejected. Then when the game returned there was winter stuff.

After having played it enough I honestly don't mind Snow Scrap. Once I understood the different team positions, it made the game a lot more enjoyable. There are pushers, attackers, and defenders. Pushers push and their general goal should be to always get their ball to the punchers to do most of the work for them. Attackers try to prevent that. I found the best way is to do this is, rather than stopping the ball with your face, is to hit their ball at a slight angle so you cause the ball to spin. If you get them all pushing in the same direction, you can get the ball to spin in place and if they're too stupid to stop you that's their problem. The job of defenders is to prevent that, mostly by grabbing and holding attackers until your pushers can get away. Don't push the ball unless you're certain no one is going to come near you. Otherwise defenders need to hover around it and bee-line straight towards the first opponent that's obviously coming over.

The main thing is to pick a position and then stick with it. A lot of people forget they're playing a team sport and feel like they need to be everywhere at once. I see this in the other ball based team games as well. You win as a team or lose as a team so pick a position that you enjoy or feel no one is doing. Even a single defender protecting the ball can annoy attackers enough that they just straight up ignore you in Snow Scrap.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Bullying the loser is the most effective strategy I found in these team gamesz I just don't know to how to turn it around when my team is the losers.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I had the funniest thing happen on snow scrap last night. I was the attacker and I went and attacked yellow who was second last place. My team was utter garbage so I quit trying to help by pushing or defending. I got yellow pinned up against a wall and they were trying to push against me but a couple of them decided to get the ball actually moving they'd come push with me(it's actually a good strategy if everybody goes on the same side as the attacker and just pushes the ball, because it goes faster than The attacker can get in front of it again) but only two of the four decided on that strategy. so I just like backed up and watch them push against each other for about 30 seconds. My smooth brain team finally ended up accidentally rolling into enough snow hexes to win, but it was the longest match I ever seen.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Bullying the loser is the most effective strategy I found in these team gamesz I just don't know to how to turn it around when my team is the losers.

I really think that if they hid the other team's scores in team games, that would help solve this problem quite a bit. You still could see your own score and even if your team is currently losing, but obfuscating other team's scores would go pretty far in slowing down the first-order optimal strategy of 'bully the loser'.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Haven't played since season 1 and it's a trip to be playing on console and have the controls actually be responsive

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Simone Magus posted:

Haven't played since season 1 and it's a trip to be playing on console and have the controls actually be responsive

When they upped it from 30 to 60 FPS on PS4 it made a world of difference.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah the only stuff that was still rough was some of the collision detection and grabbing of moving platforms, but it looks like only one game is in the rotation that includes that right now so it's not as noticeable.
Oh speaking of netcode stuff, is there weird rubberbanding for the other players for anyone else? It really only happens to me on the new r1 snow race until you get passed the snow boulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Is there anything I can do when sweating while hanging so I don't drop? It seems to happen more when my camera is off center but I might be imagining things.

Also, is there any strategy to Thin Ice before the bottom layer starts breaking? I did catch a couple of people last night by opening up holes early.