Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm brand new to DBD and playing killer is very frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nessus posted:

If you've saved up BP on survivor, go ahead and buy up a killer a few ranks which can give you a lot more flex and options. However, my big advice would be, first, just completely write off your first eight games, and second, count it as a win if you get one kill.

Thanks!

I'm following some advice and decided to move from huntress to leatherface for his perk for more BP - not sure how to give it to other killers yet

his chainsaw took some getting used to but it's not bad.

I've had a few kills, I just finished a 3 kill game which was nice? last guy rabbitted out of a bolt hole unfortunately.

I also picked up ghostface but people tell me he's bad - ideally we get a scary movie version of him and cindy campbell at some point.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Got my first 4 kill :toot:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nessus posted:

Good job! Did they bunch up in chainsawing range?

Alas no :( just 2 starters and 2 decent players.

Spread my focus to pressure the good players away from gens, and went for the people who kept getting in my way

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Had a game as killer, where I hooked and killed 2 survivors, but couldn't find the other 2, gens were at 3 remaining, then suddenly both escaped at once?

Not sure I understand what happened

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Played a match yesterday, first two guys I downed immediately disconnected, third played possum but I found and hooked him, the fourth one just ran to me and started ducking in front of me.

Very odd

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1382824163807748098?s=19

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Doomykins posted:

Bullying is tedious when the skill disparity is super huge. There's definitely a point where a newer killer can't learn a thing against people doing 720s around his goofy rear end. Yeah sure you can at least make an attempt or learn the map or something. But it's just part of the two things you gotta deal with to learn the game, the russian roulette matchmaking and the skill/rank curves. That said there's almost always a chance to learn and practice and a lot of the tea-bag stuff does work in your favor if you get accustomed to reading it. I win half my hard matches because I ID the best looper and ignore them. When 1-3 not so great loopers are on the hook then the endzone champ and their flashlight get stuck making risky plays while the gens wind down.

Oh dang, so what's the reality then, if anyone knows?

New killer here, I don't enjoy being clowned on by a 4 swf group on comms, who are all bad mannered, body block like crazy, are all running the same perks, and who stalk the killer with flashlight to force the killer to a no hook game, then have the temerity post game to say they're not try Harding.

How am I supposed to learn when this is happening on a level 1 killer? When I'm a rank 18 killer going up against rank 12s?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cease to Hope posted:

There's no amount of knowhow or engineering that can turn a tiny-assed player base into fair matches. It's not a problem you solve with better design.

Ok, well when this is the outcome of queueing, don't complain that your playerbase is shrinking

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Played a game yesterday where I was playing as a low level huntress (rank 13, level 10?ish? idk, I just wanted to practice throwing hatchets), got paired up against a red rank twitch streamer and his swf posse, downed the streamer early, hooked him, and every few seconds I'd be getting swarmed with his 2 buddies trying to unhook them, every single hatchet I threw hit the streamer

I lost the game, because I was too busy trying to down survivors who were trying to help their friend, and literally could not turn my back away from them to focus on gens

post game, I copped a load of abuse from them, they went on my steam profile to insult me and I kinda feel that, if you're going up as a group of two red rank streamers with a rank 20 so you only fight low ranked killers, and your only goal is to frustrate the killer, then you can kinda expect to be tunneled a bit, even wit the best of killer intentions.

It's not like I even wanted to focus on him, just ill luck that every hatchet I threw hit them instead of their friends, and that I couldn't leave without them making a bustout attempt.

idk, the game is fun but very frustrating as a killer.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

John Romero posted:

imagine the time management skills you need to be a lawyer at a top firm, an aspiring comedian, a popular streamer AND a sexual predator

Persona 6 writes itself

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just had the most incredible game
extremely bad mannered survivors with me as a killer, I'm playing huntress with an iridescent blade.

Lots of bad mannered moments, deliberate teabagging, body blocking, but the blade really really carries me the whole game by getting lots of unexpected downs on them

pick off the meg who had been using her toolbox to deny me hooks
pick off the bill who was also doing that and was teabagging me every time he'd leap over a window

until finally I'm left against two survivor characters I don't know (David King and Nea Karlsson according to the match details)

I tap David and down him, drag him down to the basement and I'm about to hook him when I remember there's even odds that they used the blueprint to make the hatch spawn there, so I drop him right in front of it, and decide to reload my hatch and boom, there's Nea

So I put them both on the hook
David's got the Slippery Meat perk and wiggles off and I just crack him as he lands

incredible game, 10/10 for just how flat out cathartic it felt to smash those smug fucks

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

rydiafan posted:

What kind of moron teabags a huntress through a window?

One who's seen a buddy take a hatchet and go down in one hit, so knows I'm only carrying one hatchet and haven't reloaded yet

On a related note: I thought that the addon that gave you 2 extra hatchets worked with the iridescent blade so you'd end up with 3 hatchets, not just one

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's a good totem hunting build?

there was one trait I picked up that was not very good, I'd ideally like something that highlights the totems aura

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ETA for the new chapter?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm still newish to the game and been leveling survivors for perks, I know how to use sprint burst, but gently caress if it isn't irritating that I have to blow it if i want to run while outside of a chase.

It should be a QOL thing to make it only trigger when in a chase, because having to give up a survivability perk to be able to run to a dumbass who got himself hooked leaves me up a creek when I unhook them, and if I don't run, no one else on the team will go there.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

anyone able to recommend a good streamer who only focuses on myers?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

As a solo queue survivor, having a "gently caress it, these guys are useless, I'm out" button is great.

Yeah, it's a bad design but it's not a balanced game, and it's tiring dealing with people missing skill checks, leaving you to dead on the first hook, running a killer to you on gen, cleansing dull totems and chests, ignoring gens / hiding from the killer and otherwise being unhelpful.

I'm no paragon, I make mistakes, but with all of the above, sometimes it's fine just tap out when 2 of your team mates are dead, there's 3 gens left, and the killer is on your rear end because he's running tinkerer and beelined straight at you when your gen hits 70%

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

getting real tired of dumb fucks running the killer into me in order to escape

I'm doing gens
I'm the only one doing gens
gently caress off

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

was there supposed to be a shard giveaway as part of the event?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pyrolocutus posted:

9k shards if you log in during the first week.

How do you claim them?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

saw a video of a hacked ghostface earlier and clicked on it out of curiosity, it was pretty funny, he was floating through the air machine gun firing huntress hatchets and downing people in a single hit.

none of this subtle poo poo, go big or go home. I don't think I'd even be mad if that happened

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

yeah I just picked up undying and ruin
wish I'd got devour the other day but I didn't play, I'll just wait for it to show up at some point or another

on a related note

if you unlock a power through the store, and later buy the killer and start levelling them, do you get a free 150k bp when you get to unlockable perks for that killer, or is it just "nup"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Very careful choice of word there

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What the hell does the mist do? The offerings, I mean, both survivors and the killer can bring stuff that thickens the mist but I don't see anywhere what sort of gameplay impact that has

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Medullah posted:

I did laugh at the various names Otz changed to throughout the challenge. He was Moonbeam or something at the beginning. Dowsey changed to something like Bill234666321 a couple times.

I now need to go check my players tab on steam because I might have played against them last night and I know I killed at least one if not two people in that game

e: ok, it wasn't me, phew

tithin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 27, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mega Comrade posted:

So wait, it's an exact replica? The corridors arnt even randomised?

to be fair it's not a precise replica, the corridors are narrower and a lot of the closed off doorways are open up which can be very confusing for nerds like me

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dawgstar posted:

My only definition of camping hooks is standing right in front of the hooked survivor, possibly while smacking them. I just think that's a boring way to play and not fun. I don't count 'oh look the survivors are trying to creep up like sneaky bunnies so I'm going to go chase them.'

Question on Wraith: Does he just have a longer lunge or was it all down to him running Coup De Grace?

Longer lunge due to a speed increase when coming out of stealth.
Coupled with Coup De Grace leads to some wild distance lunging

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I haven't watched the halloween remake rob zombie did yet, on my to do list though. Any good?

As for the fnaf stuff, the twitter thread on the dbd tweet is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1426196953440919556

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

oh poo poo i thought the rob zombie one was the last one

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DeathChicken posted:

Nope, there was Halloween 2018, which pretended all movies after the first one never happened and picked up with crazy old lady Laurie in the present day. It was awesome as gently caress

I'll watch it tonight and let you know my thoughts then, if the rob zombie halloween was trash

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Umbreon posted:

It also doesn't help that killers have far more ability to ruin the game for survivors than the other way around. For example, tunneling someone out 5 minutes into the match is great for the killer, but feels completely horrible to have done to you as a survivor, and if a killer really wants you dead, there's nothing you can do about it even if your team wins anyway because of it.

It kind of feels like toxicity is just inherently baked into the game and there's not much that can be done about it

This happened to me last night, against a trapper at badham 4, team-mate gets hooked in the basement and every entrance is rigged, wait for him to depart, and within 10 seconds of me undoing one of his traps, he's back to lock it, wait for him to leave again, undo one trap, in, rescue the kill and he's back already, Jill gets tagged, I get tagged, I get hooked, Jill gets picked up and I just say gently caress it and let myself die

No one's coming back and I'm a liability, 6k points in and I'm out with no recourse.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

honestly as someone who plays a lot of pig, I'm gonna be sad that hawkins is gone, there's not enough indoor maps as it is

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

God drat there's some broken assed people who play this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-QExYZ4WE

bear in mind this is off a 1 kill with me as Wraith, old mate cracked it because I killed him

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That's the point where I say gently caress it and start tunneling a single person to death

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Looks like a "bully the killer game" based on that trailer

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

1000k blood points takes you up to about level 35 - 40

Takes about 1.3 to 1.5 to get to 50

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My solution to the issue of totems being one and dones is that when cleansed it should wane in power instead of being immediately gone.

Just make every totem generate tokens over time to a maximum of say 3, and when cleansed it loses a token every 30 seconds until it finally shuts off.

For totems that already collect tokens (devour etc), they lose them at either an accelerated rate (to finish at the same 90s timeframe) or at 30s per token.

Something like hope would therefore lose its associated increasing power over time, no more mori, no more exposed, slowing move speed until it's completely gone - solves the problem of losing power immediately and functionally having a dead perk because the survivors spawned in staring straight at the totem.

It's not a perfect solution but I still think it's more balanced than what their current system is.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So to be clear, they just implemented a totem for survivors that is a combined self-care / botany knowledge that stacks with botany knowledge and can't be permanently stamped out?

I'm a bit flabbergasted to be honest - how is that in any way fair to killers? I mean I know that killers collectively are going to be buffed, but nowhere to that degree. We're already super strapped for time, if survivors can undo damage in 4 seconds flat then what's the point?

E: gently caress it, they need to rework killer totems to make them permanent if they're giving that to survivors, that's cooked. Make undying baseline and move the hex to a random free totem until there's none left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's probably fake but lol if that was the reason for the voicelines to be removed.