Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

I'm imagining this relationship and it's seriously bumming me out. Two sad nerds drifting through life living looking for little hits of nostalgia to make themselves feel something until finally the wife decides to try polyamory and the whole house of cards comes down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Divorced computer toucher in his empty bachelor pad looking at his Pops! collecting while shoveling Lucky Charms in his mouth and dreaming of the good old days with the ex walking through malls and cons to find dead-eyed bobbleheads

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp
I think Pop! Figures are absolute garbage. Funkos belong in the Junk...o. Absolute garbage. Terrible build quality, awful paint jobs, horribly over priced, so on and so forth.

I'd rather fork over extra dough for a Revoltech, Figma, Nendo, and various other brands since the sculpt is far better to the representative figure.

Like, why would you want to buy something that looked like this:

when you can get something that looks like this:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
How much money is the Kirby

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Funko Pops are the peak of materialism - turn your labour into money to spend on a mass produced thing that might or might not be popular and show it off to all your friends that you too like a popular thing.

Oh then to keep the allure alive - create some sense of throw a rarity or "collector's edition" on it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Vim Fuego posted:

I think Pop! Figures are absolute garbage. Funkos belong in the Junk...o. Absolute garbage. Terrible build quality, awful paint jobs, horribly over priced, so on and so forth.

I'd rather fork over extra dough for a Revoltech, Figma, Nendo, and various other brands since the sculpt is far better to the representative figure.

My assumption is that some people equate the goofy Pop! designs as somehow being less "nerdy" and more socially acceptable than "serious" designs.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I have quite a few friends from college that work as sculptors at Funko so i'm torn between supporting their work and keeping my mouth shut about how trite and consumerist these things they make are...and how meaningless they are. I will never buy one, yuck.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

*David Letterman voice* James Bouhuys

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ELI PORTER posted:

*David Letterman voice* James Bouhuys

is there an updated schedule for summer 2017 onwards? what is the current balance of the emergency pop fund? i have questions for james and amanda that need answers

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Hey, I have that BB-8! And Black Panther in the costume with the gold embroidery from the movie. Someone gave them to me and they’re kind of cute. I don’t give them more thought than that. BTW I haven’t seen the movie with the droid, I just have the figurine.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A big part of Funko's ubiquitousness is that as physical media dies out it's a cheap and easy way to fill shelf space that was once filled by boxes with discs or cartridges inside them. Also since they assume all the costs and risks a ton of companies partner with them because it's basically free money, so for some older and more esoteric stuff Funko is one of the only current pieces of merch.

Universe Master posted:

Kirby is just a ball with a mouth that eats things

and they took away the mouth

they took away the loving mouth

It's OK, the obviously fake CGI render can't hurt you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

Exactly. I prefer USEFUL figures, such as for my wargaming. Perchance not as LAMESTREAM as your CRAP-O pops, but infinitely more useful, and dare I say, adult? Alongside their infinitely more useful nature, they allow you to express your own artistic mastery.

For example, this miniature giant robot horse that has a laser coming out of its rear end

Now THAT is something useful, artistic, and a real conversation starter. Something you can proudly display in your home and show off a MEANINGFUL side of your persona.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Amazon sells Bosch figurines. I'd rather have little nightmare Hell guys than Funko Pop turds.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

That's really hosed up lmao

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

stop buying toys you loving child-brained dweeb

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Funko my neghole

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm not sure if they are worse than plushies tbh

Both are bad and a symptom of diseased mind unless owned by children

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I dunno you guys

Maybe it's not that deep

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
nendroids and figma are really cool, despite the fact that I will never buy them because I generally can't justify buying expensive toys and stuff unless it's from a series I'm obsessed with.

Funko pops are dumb as hell and I dislike them!!!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
It had to be done

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

You know, I'm not 100% convinced it did

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DA JOKA!
(gamer)

Lookit 'im there, squintin. pwnin them nubs LMAO you get 'em JOKA!! HAHA YEAAA BABY!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Also the "Batman - 80 Years" sticker on the box is the recommended age group.

so please, unless you're Batmen ages 80 and up this toy may not suitable for you

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spinz posted:

It had to be done

This is amazing work. As a student of toys I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of Funkos like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a wifebeating situation I’ve never been in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Richard "Toesnax" Kyanka in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I went to a comic con a couple years ago and every stall was just selling these things. A few years earlier you’d get a variety of different types of merch which was cool to look at. Made me realise I’d grown out of those types of thing

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There's something surreal about licensing someone to use your likeness and then they turn it into anime. What? It's Keaunu Reeves? Don't lose the box; it's your only proof.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i blame fallout 3

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
where is Will It Blend when you need it

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
On one hand, Funko Pops! have infuriated me since the very first time I saw one, because it was ugly and virtually identical to the others near it, which should have immediately told me it was brilliant and was going to make a trillion dollars

On the other hand, reading that they are sometimes the only toys for particular pop culture properties makes me think there is a potential valid use for them; if a 4-year-old wanted a toy of something that only existed as one of these things, then awesome!

But then I get mad again thinking about how my wife would have left me immediately if I were unable to control myself in purchasing toys, and yet this dweeb is contractually bound to spend thousands a year on this bullshit

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I have this one and this one only because jaws is my favorite movie, look at the teeny air tank:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

What if they made Funko Pops of goons and SA celebrities

Not that hard to imagine! :classiclol:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Chewbecca posted:

What if they made Funko Pops of goons and SA celebrities

Not that hard to imagine! :classiclol:

don't let your dreams be dreams: https://www.funko.com/pop-yourself/designer

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Target Practice posted:

I have this one and this one only because jaws is my favorite movie, look at the teeny air tank:

Yes it is cute but the teeth look like a Doberman/4th grader hybrid :buddy:

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Limited Edition USS Indianapolis funko pop

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I'm not gonna hate on anyone that owns 1 or 3 of these but anyone whose Thing it is to collect the poo poo that fills up malls and walmarts is a mega trashy loser.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Garfield Tribute Pop

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I just keep clicking “randomize” and laughing

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ProperCoochie posted:

I'm not gonna hate on anyone that owns 1 or 3 of these but anyone whose Thing it is to collect the poo poo that fills up malls and walmarts is a mega trashy loser.

I am 100% going to shame anyone I see with even 1 of these.
If I even see that your kid has one of these I will bust into their room and tear it apart I don't fuckin care that we're here for the cook out LOOK at this loving THING, DAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop