Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mescal posted:

Which non-custom character should I use for this build?

You mean which of the recruitable characters? I can't speak definitively but I think Pizepi comes with enough Weird Science and Automatic Weapons to get you most of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

marshmallow creep posted:

You mean which of the recruitable characters? I can't speak definitively but I think Pizepi comes with enough Weird Science and Automatic Weapons to get you most of the way.

Shoot, too late. I took Cordite and respecced him. He has innate +4AP, and with the rush-strike plus executioner, he can get approx +11 free AP per turn. He's doing pretty good damage. A lot more than my old straggler.

My sniper got 5000 damage on a car. The weapon does up to about 312. Is that... a mega crit? And she has full INT, that's 20% crit chance, and the same on the weapon, plus 7% lucky crit change. That's 47%, but she's not getting almost half of shots critting. What's the deal there? AND, dammit, her precision strike does less damage than regular shots. Why?

Is there any way to make it bug out less in co-op? Bugs and crashes are tolerable, but quite significant

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm pretty sure precision shots are bugged right now so they do less damage than they should. I use them for their special effects, like scrambling CPUs.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
scrambling CPUs is a great way to deal with robots, yeah

I just finished Steeltown DLC and was kinda annoyed with the ending. I might do a replay sometime to see how things change idk.

I killed Ludlow because he's a loving monster and slavedriver. I sided with the workers against Markham. I stand by those two decisions, I'm not sure how dealing with the synths changes things. Maybe wiping their memories keeps Markham running the factory?

This time I freed the synths, and the outcome is that Markham leaves and the entire factory just... shuts down?

Let me get this straight. Markham leaves all decisions up to the computer of linked synths. The synths are deliberately sabotaging things to try and attract the Rangers there. Removing Markham and the synths causes the entire thing to shut down even though all the employees are... right there.

I assumed the outcome was going to be that the factory operates a lot more slowly with Markham gone and the workers in control and the Patriarch would be annoyed with me because of that. It's a bit nonsensical that the entire operation shuts down and everyone loses their jobs. The machinery, workers, and demand for their products are all still there.

Maybe I'll try it again and wipe the synths' personalities I dunno.

I also found Blue in the Ghost Garage and killed him before even talking to Markham, dunno if there are any interactions where maybe you can convince him to come run Steeltown in place of Markham? That'd be a neat option.

Not super impressed with it overall. It was fine but not very much content for the price tag.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Steeltown:

Yeah, it's nonsensical and annoying how it's presented as the workers being on strike has caused Steeltown to stop running, but also they don't know how to run Steeltown without their super smart bossperson in charge, who apparently wasn't even doing anything anyway.

I found Blue and convinced him to return the Synaptic Degausser and once Markham was exiled he returned to take her place. I also freed the synths (although the Desert Ranger thing to do is kill them). I've seen someone say they convinced the synths to stay and continue working in Steeltown but I have no idea how you'd do that. When I returned later to fight the raiders the Synths were there assisting in the fight.

The Patriarch was pissed I booted his pal, he didn't give a poo poo about working conditions.

As for how Steeltown ultimately turns out, I haven't beaten the game yet on this playthrough to see the ending slides. I'm curious to see if having Blue in charge will mean the Steeltown can run productively while still being fair to the workers.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Blue is key to making things work

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Yeah I figured I might've screwed up by killing Blue first rather than talking to him when the plot took me there.

It wouldn't surprise me that having Blue lead things also allows an option for the synths to stay and help out, since Blue was the one pushing for them to be treated as people to begin with.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Blue is key to making things work

And no matter how good you are at all the various speech based skills, you can lock yourself out of being able to talk with him with ease based on prior actions.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Solid pitch. Seems like a high-level dungeon crawl type of expansion?

https://twitter.com/inXile/status/1430222443289866245?s=20

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

hell yeah looks pretty cool! my biggest hope is that any new weapons are useful beyond the dlc, unlike steeltown...

a couple of months ago inxile made a thread on their forums asking people what theyd like to see out of a new game+, havent heard anything about it since, but with this being the final expansion with one more patch slated for after release, im hoping it gets added and wasn't just idle talk.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Awesome, is that a trailer for an announcement for an online multiplayer stability patch? So exciting! Now to simply click the play button and see

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

A little bit more info on the actual blog post on their site:

InXile posted:

Cult of the Holy Detonation expands the Wasteland 3 experience with entry into the Cheyenne Mountain complex, crammed with new characters, enemies, challenging combat encounters, and powerful new weapons and armor. Your squad of Rangers will be tested like never before in objective-based encounters that put a creative spin on the already deeply tactical turn-based combat. As they face overwhelming odds, the Rangers will need to shut down reactors, clear ventilation systems, and engage defensive countermeasures to stem an unending tide of dangerous mutants and machines within the dilapidated military bunker.

Cult of the Holy Detonation is the second and final expansion to Wasteland 3 and will be available for $6.99 on Steam, GOG, Xbox, and PlayStation, or as a part of the Wasteland 3 Colorado Collection for $59.99, which includes Wasteland 3, The Battle of Steeltown, Cult of the Holy Detonation, and Colorado Survival Gear. Xbox Game Pass members who want to purchase Cult of the Holy Detonation save 10%.

The objective based combat sounds like what they did in Steeltown wrt dealing with the Computation Engine, where you faced endless waves of enemies until you shut down their spawn points. Sounds fun.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think I figured out what real life vehicle(s) the Kodiak may have been built from and ironically it's not a Chevy Kodiak but rather a Mack. Specifically the 1990 Mack RB600, with the wide grill and fenders of a 1990 Chevy C70 Kodiak.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I guess they must have just liked the name Kodiak more

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How is this on a controller? Looking for a new game to play on the couch, got kind of bored with 2 but this one seems a lot better

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation

Mr. Crow posted:

How is this on a controller? Looking for a new game to play on the couch, got kind of bored with 2 but this one seems a lot better

I use controller. Not super great. Much worse than Divinity os2.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

1.5.0 is out and it's a big change log so I won't quote it but here's a link: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-patch-1-5-0-going-the-distance

Lots of co-op fixes and changes to perks, quirks, and backgrounds too. Plus the option to leave the end game and return to Colorado to experience the DLC.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 1, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Proletarian Mango posted:

1.5.0 is out and it's a big change log so I won't quote it but here's a link: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-patch-1-5-0-going-the-distance

Lots of co-op fixes and changes to perks, quirks, and backgrounds too. Plus the option to leave the end game and return to Colorado to experience the DLC.

They fixed the issue with Inspire applying status effects to your squad. I guess morale has improved so the beatings can srop.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

A special encounter has just been discovered. People are trying to figure out what the triggers are for it to appear. Seems to have something to do with the Goat Killer background. Some dude on the WL3 discord said he was just driving around the overworld and it popped up after a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjk-DtD6IGw

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation

I retract my earlier sarcastic comment. Now we can finish the game without the multiplayer glitchy crashy stuff. Good goin devs!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

InXile put out a new video:

InXile posted:

Early in development of Wasteland 3 we had additional soundtrack recordings done that ultimately weren't used in the final game. Here is one such unreleased recording. This is "Down in the Valley" by Robert Francis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-rQO68ECiA

Pretty cool! I hope they put out a compilation album with all the music.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A different version of the same song plays if you kill the traitorous kids in the north part of Colorado Springs

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS5Zf5NYseo

This is the version they went with

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Not sure why it got locked, but IT'S BACK OPEN BABY

Looking forward to doing a run with the final DLC & all the updates.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is this game still a buggy mess with game-breaking fuckups ahoy?

It's on sale right now for like $30AU, but looking at Steam reveiws even quite recent reviews are complaining about progress-arresting and save-breaking bugs, just wanted to check with people who have been playing it recently before I decide to purchase.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've personally never had a problem with it, especially not something that torpedoed my save.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Breetai posted:

It's on sale right now for like $30AU, but looking at Steam reveiws even quite recent reviews are complaining about progress-arresting and save-breaking bugs, just wanted to check with people who have been playing it recently before I decide to purchase.

It's fine IMO, played it all the way through like 2 times, had bugs but nothing OMG RUINED FOREVER.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I had a progress-stopping bug that I couldn't resolve with the save editor and mucking around with flags. Specifically, Angela Deth wouldn't spawn in Hoon Homestead after I returned with Victory Buchanan so I had to go wayyyyy back to a save almost at the beginning.

So yeah there are still some bad bugs floating around. It wasn't that hard to breeze through a second time though, once you're familiar with the mechanics, encounters, and where the good items are you can break the game pretty hard.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation

Breetai posted:

Look at the recent patch notes. I know they fixed some multiplayer stuff, maybe they fixed the stuff you're talking about too.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I saw this back on page 1 of games and I got a hankering to finally replay it. W3 is the first (and only, really...ive got maybe an hour into W2) turned based RPG I've played and apparently there is DLC. It seems steeltown is a bit of a bust, but I think I'll restart and build better characters. I had no idea what I was doing the first time and it's a miracle I got through it at all

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Eat This Glob posted:

I saw this back on page 1 of games and I got a hankering to finally replay it. W3 is the first (and only, really...ive got maybe an hour into W2) turned based RPG I've played and apparently there is DLC. It seems steeltown is a bit of a bust, but I think I'll restart and build better characters. I had no idea what I was doing the first time and it's a miracle I got through it at all

Steeltown isn't that bad, it just sucks that a lot of the weapons you find there don't work in the main game.

There's also another DLC expansion that came out this week but I haven't tried it out yet.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cleared out Aspen before Denver tonight this time on my supreme jerk run since Steeltown took me from lvl 15 to 19, and now I'm 21 heading into the new Holy Detonation dlc. Early in yet but it seems cool so far.

e: whoever decided it was a good idea to have "monster mash" loop back to back endlessly through a very long respawning gauntlet of 30+ enemies should be fired.

so with the new dlc there's an winding tunnel-like area you have to take your squad through while also navigating the kodiak along as well. there's various checkpoints that require activating various pressure pads in order to pass. the whole area has like 20+ enemies in it to start with and once combat begins a minimum of 3 more enemies begin spawning in every turn. additionally half of these enemies explode when ran over, damaging the kodiak. on top of all this the goal is to reach a computer console to stop the respawning enemies but it still leaves you the ones already there to deal with. and "monster mash" is playing back to back endlessly the whole time while you wait about a minute each time the enemy turns to process. its awful.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 9, 2021

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm playing on xbox and got a few hours in. the game is sooooooo much more stable. I do t think I've crashed once, and I think restarting the game was the way to go rather than juat jumping into the DLC from a near-endgame save. I have a decent handle on building a balanced team rather than have two people with a bunch of points sunk into barter or animal whisperer or whatever

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

this is not even half of the active enemy units

im so loving sick of hearing monster mash

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oof the Steam reviews for the new Cult dlc are rough.
Hey wasn't that endless enemy spawns mechanic from Steeltowns boss cool? No? Oh well that's the whole mini expansion now, enjoy.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

sounds like inexile are withdrawing from this game quicker than I'd thought.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm not that surprised, now they're a Microsoft studio. Whole different environment than when they started working on this game. Plus it's on PlayStation, that's probably a big part of it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

This new DLC sucks. I spent literally all my free time with it this weekend and made 0 progress because of it's lovely, half baked combats, and to top it all off, now my squad is stuck with a radiation debuff that can only be cured with special DLC-only anti-radiation drugs that I don't have access to because I can't get past all the lovely combat with endlessly spawning enemies.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

This new DLC sucks. I spent literally all my free time with it this weekend and made 0 progress because of it's lovely, half baked combats, and to top it all off, now my squad is stuck with a radiation debuff that can only be cured with special DLC-only anti-radiation drugs that I don't have access to because I can't get past all the lovely combat with endlessly spawning enemies.

That's disappointing to hear, but not surprising.

Way to take one for the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Are there any redeeming features to the new DLC