Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
low key hyped for the release this Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Haven't seen anything honestly, I backed it way back and this game is my jam. I really enjoyed W2 so if it's more of the same I'll dig it

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I remember reading the old thread. Besides some trap skill choices I think the main complaint was the camera system.

I really didn't have any issues playing W2 and I smashed through it over about a month of solid completionist play, which I can rarely say about most games these days

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Doesn't it release Friday? Guess you can pre-load with the keys or whatever

e: I'm jelly

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Most backer levels did have early access.

I intentionally ignored mine since the released game is always better and I just wanna play once

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
looks like the embargo lifted, reviews are largely positive, the setting getting called out as setting it apart along with the humor and sound design

criticisms are mostly technical issues along with "not enough changes from the last game" which tbh is what I personally wanted

e: also end game A.I.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 27, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Release is tonight at 5pm PT

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
can you increase stats through leveling up?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
5min my bitches

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Game is ready to play

*deep sigh*

Now to spend 1hr finding custom portraits for each character...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I never really got that vibe from it, but I guess I'm 100% the type of person who likes these games. I loved fallout tactics, never played Wasteland 1, but 2 really clicked with me.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Extra pen seems like it might be good on a sniper, or hell, any character. Looking at the weapon attributes +2 pen on all weapons seems pretty good since they range from 0-8

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I normally skip melee characters in my party. Are you saying melee... good???

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Custom portraits should be 420x337px as either a JPG or PNG and placed into a self-created folder named: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Wasteland3\Custom Portraits\

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Prisoner is my favorite character so far, lmao, maaan

Voice acting is really good so far, especially for major characters. Dark humor is on point. Overall I'm enjoying it more than W2. Combat is smoother and faster. My biggest gripes so far are the camera being slow to rotate and I wish you could zoom out more. There are areas where the game isn't real polished, like W2, but it doesn't really detract too much imo.

Overall balance seems pretty good, every character type gets good use out of 3-4 major stats. For my sniper small arms and sniper seem like a very good pairing, as well as stacking +AP. Vicious Avenger and Bopper seem real good with little drawbacks, same with wasteland wanderer

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I maxed my coordination on my sniper character from the start, since I wanna shoot mah gunz twice

I also grabbed small arms... and drat, it works better for pistol characters. Being able to shoot a big rear end revolver 3-4 times a turn at stuff is real good

Scoss posted:

I really hate how much inertia the camera has when panning with WASD or rotating, feels super sluggish.

one of my top complaints

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SMG + Rifle seems a good combo for assault rifle characters. Flamer + Machine Gun on heavys

Not sure if the pyro perk is worth it yet tho. Lighting your rear end on fire on the hardest difficulty is pretty painful

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I feel grabbing ~4 strength on your early characters is a good way to go, gotta get that bonus HP over time. Then maxing out your main stat

MorphineMike posted:

I played the tutorial twice and both times it spawned the wrong ammo for my weapons, leaving me unable to beat the second fight. Not really a great start to the experience.

Are you on the GOG edition? Seems like there have been a number of issues on that one

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

Game is unplayably buggy and it sucks because when it works it's fun.

Trying to play co-op with a friend and getting repeatedly slammed with a bug that deletes all quest progress from your log completely, which basically entirely breaks the game! The only way around it is to obsessively check the quest log and save like a paranoiac every 5 seconds to make sure I have backup saves to make sure our entire game isn't completely hosed. This also has the awesome side effect of sometimes we don't notice it's broke until we spend 10-15 minutes doing a fight, then after the fight discovering that all our quests are gone and we have to reload and redo the fight. It also happens CONSTANTLY, like once every 10-15 minutes. When you add the horrible load times, even on SSD, it makes the experience just atrocious.

I can't believe a bug this completely game breaking is in the release version of this game.

Which version is this?

I keep asking because I haven't run into any bugs yet on PC steam (single player tho). I wonder if there's a more buggy version out there or if I'm just lucky

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So that's 2 posters with some lovely game pass issues

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
man I hope there's some payoff to going around arresting everybody

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
High cha sniper using rally all the time is a nice support build

Personally, I went max coordination on mine, and will do luck next. 11AP with sniper and small arms means you can shoot your rifle, follow up with a pistol, reserve 2AP, then shoot your rifle twice next turn. I'm hoping to find some item that gives +1AP so that I can just fire the sniper rifle twice at the start of combat. 4 revolver shots are real good too, if you wanna build a gunslinger type character. Low AP weapons seem pretty strong with high coordination builds.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm just going to keep arresting literally everyone this game lets me arrest, in my own base. There is no way this can backfire. Not even at the inevitable base assault that always happens in these games.

I hope I can sell them into slavery or... perhaps something even more sinister?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
October-11 boy the make it hard not to kill a child, but we know the truth, all synths must die

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So far the balance seems really good. All the skills and all the attributes have a purpose (depending on your character). I'm finding myself leveling up more support skills than combat skills for most of my characters

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm playing on supreme jerk. If you're having a hard time with some of the tough encounters, remember you can move your dudes back and not forward. My tactics tend to be to use my flametrooper to light the immediate clump of enemies on fire and then to keep falling back into cover focus firing on the de-buffed stuff. Snipers can outrage turrets and vehicles too, so if you're against those... they can't move closer than a certain point and you can just plink them to death with rocket launchers/long rifles.

I still think Fallout Tactics has been the best tactical RPG I've played, in terms of combat, level design, and integration of vehicles. I also miss the older style of map movement on an actual map, this one seems to railroad you in certain directions too much (at least right now, I'm not very far)

On the other hand... in W3 you can put a big rear end scope on your flamethrowers giving yuuge range bonuses :allears: fuckin owns

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My flame trooper is more and more the linchpin of my squad. I gave him max strength at start so he's a beast. Flamethrowers with scopes and extra wide chokes means he basically de-buffs the poo poo out of everybody and soaks up bullets for the first 1-2 rounds. By then I've killed enough to swing the fight in my favor

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 30, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can create new rangers in your HQ, not sure if that goes for your main character tho

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
embrace it, let it flow through u

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
mid-game Bizarre question (after you help them out and play a bit you get a radio transmission, spoiler below)

what do you think about siding with the mob, vs flab?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lakbay posted:

I’m still early in the game, haven’t done any of the main children quests yet, and already there’s decisions I’ve made that are biting me in the rear end, so it’s hard to say who to side with in any quest, at least until people have done multiple playthroughs

Yeah I'm not far into the game and there's a lot of decisions you make that impact the world. I'm starting to get what the reviewers were writing about

Nearly every time I go back to base there's something new, more people, another major moral decision aghhhhh

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

How do you throw a grenade? I've equipped two, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to throw them. Do I need a skill for that?

Equip it in your quick slot, exit out of your inventory, then look for the 3 pouch icon at the bottom of the screen

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah I agree about the camera feeling a bit too zoomed in. In general the scale of stuff feels more... off, in this one

e: Just discovered that eating enough food gives you +1 AP for 15 min or so

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 30, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Haha, I found... the elf workshop :allears:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The devs have said its about 100hrs of content. I've played about 40hrs and I feel like I'm about 1/3 of the way through the game, maybe less. Taking my time though on the hardest difficulty.

Div and Xcom have more polish, but the combat in this feels real good imo. Story is fine, but the reactive nature of the world is outstanding and way better than either of those others. I love tactical RPGs and I can't put this one down right now

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its been hard to keep followers alive on supreme jerk. I think I'm past trying anymore :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm at around level 16 for my group with rank 5-7 weapons. Here's how the power balance has shifted on jerk:

• My sniper, who was strong early game, is now the worst performer. Even when I get two shots a turn it isn't much with a rank 6 dragunov. He has max luck, coordination, and charisma. I'm going to grind out int next to see if the crits help
  • My SMG character is now a beast, especially with a +3M scope. Using a rank 7 SMG she tears the gently caress out of enemies every turn. Max coordination and charisma.
  • My shotgun character, a poindexter with maxed int and coordination, with a rank 7 pump shotty is outstanding. On paper the damage seems meh, but the shotgun perks with 40% chance to crit every hit means tons of damage, and she shoots 3-4 times a turn! She sucked early game so this is a nice change.
  • My pistol character, max speed + awareness and high int, has always been a good performer. Rank 7 pistol with a +4m scope with the pistol perks means 3-4 shots a turn, usually with an aimed shot or crit. Does 2-3 times the damage of my dumb sniper :(
  • My heavy + flamer character (max str and coordination, grinding awareness now) is starting to wax a little. The good heavy weapons use extremely expensive 50 cal ammo, so I use the lighter weapons with less damage. Using rank 5 guns he does about the same damage as my sniper, but less reliably. Just found a rank 6 flamer, hopefully this helps a bit.

No melee characters. Regarding upgrades, I'm finding that the +range scopes are important to making flamer, pistol, shotgun, and smg characters shine. It's hard finding that many though, so I'm always chasing that gear. Despite field stripping tons of guns I still haven't gotten one through RNG.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 31, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

babypolis posted:

Yeah but he still comes off way better than the crazy assholes willing to shoot up a nightclub filled with civilians because they didnt get exactly what they wanted

On the topic of the game not being subtle when you go into the secret bunker that Angela Death tips you off about, she try's to sell it like some hugely aha! evil thing, but it left me feeling like it wasn't. Even some of the dialog options when you leave the bunker match that. I get that the patriarch had to do some shady poo poo to stay in power, but the people you're supposed to free are even worse than him, and they plan to continue doing it. I love that I was able to straight up say "I don't associated with slavers" and killed them right there. This is so early in the game and it just keeps going after that... real interested to see where things go. Doing my best to do an independent play-through, where I prop the rangers on top and none of the other powers.

Just impressed you can straight up murder major characters and the main plot just adjusts and rolls with it

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, I had built my party around knowing just the names and general builds of future party members, then I get to the Lords of War one and I just couldn't bring myself to recruit him even if he does have a cool shotgun arm. Maybe in another playthrough, but as it stands this just seems generally morally ridiculous to do. Maybe the game will prove me wrong, but while the Patriarch is clearly not a good person by a significant amount he STILL seems like the least bad option of the ones presented. Hoping I can just take over the entire region as my entirely morally perfect Rangers (ignore all the stealing).

Evil Canadian posted:

Just did this mission

Feel a bit mislead about the whole Angela deth leading you to the "truth". Like ok the patriarch is probably a dick but paying the tribes to gently caress off isn't the worst thing, and this dude she wanted me to rescue is 100% bad news and is a proud slaver. So I iced him in his cell right after the fact.

Same here. If there's one principal I stick to, its that I kill all slavers

On the topic of Flab I decided to try both options, either siding with him or working with Charlie to userp him. My hope was that I could double cross Charlie... and yep, you can! Problem is then nobody is left to defend the place and everybody just leaves. Seems the best option for now is siding with Flab, though I may be proven otherwise later.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wolfe's Hunt: So I was back and forth with this one. On one hand the robot had a kid's voice and I felt sorry for him and on the other Gary Wolfe is a racist prick. Yeah the bot said he would probably kill and I was being super naive by not killing him but Gary Wolfe 1) was never recruited in my games as w2 made it hard and it wasn't that good so he was stolen valour as far as I'm concerned 2) Wolfe and company shot up the town a =nd expecting me to clean their mess and 3) called me a simp and a race traitor. Yeah the bot did immediately kill someone going over the wall and carved "thank you for helping me escape" into the corpse so I know this is going to bite me in the rear end but I didn't see anyone else choose this in the walkthrough (was curious) and hoping that Wolfe bites it hard. gently caress that dude.This also fits my naive good guy that means well but is so hosed.

Well, sentient AI did destroy the entire world

In other words...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wolfe was right :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wolfe was a merc in W2 that you could eventually have join your party. They made him into a hard-line robo hater in W3, but that's fitting given what all goes down in W1 and W2

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 31, 2020