Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

So after living in apartments for 10 or so years I got tired of it and decided to gently caress back off to the country side and bought a "cheap" house about an hour from work (though in these corona times I am working remotely)
Buying anything closer to Helsinki woulda cost €€€ and even apartments in the area are way more expensive and lovely than a house I can do whatever I want with.

Two buildings, the shed/garage/misc thing on the left has a workshop, a place that can be used as a guest room that is currently filled with poo poo what needs to be thrown away or kept depending on the stuff in question, a place where the tractors used to go but now is mostly wood storage and a tiny added on garage that is too small to really be useful to me as a garage.

I didn't take any more pics of the "guest space" (might see about putting a home gym there later) because the stairs will not support my weight:

The garden has some apple trees and from here you can kinda see the deck my grand dad once decided to build on a whim (this place used to be in my family, it was briefly out when someone else bought it and kinda hosed some stuff up)

"Better" view of the deck:

Front door opens up to this:

From there we get the hallway:

These two doors both lead to the bathroom/shower/sauna for some reason? I think they were going to separate the bathroom from the shower which I want to do at some point:

The bathroom/shower is pretty big and in an L shape, unfortunately the toilet is smack dab in the middle of where you'd want the wall. Also there's no runoff for the washing machine so the hose is just put into the toilet bowl.
There is no shower curtain or cabin so you are just kinda showering in that big space which is also weird to me, being so used to cramped showers.

Sauna fits 3-4 but is currently full of stuff I need to get rid off before giving the sauna a good proper clean

Going back out to the entry way we have: Stairs up, door to stairs down to basement, door to living room...

Turning right we get door to kitchen:

Oh you noticed that, did you?
There used to be another toilet in a real narrow space here, now all that remains is concrete slab and pipes

Kitchen is, uh, well, not in use at the moment. Also full of poo poo.

Blurry pic of bedroom that is connected to kitchen and living room.

Living room as seen from the hallway

Anyone need a tv? It's full hd!

Stairs go up

to the landing that will also be my temporary kitchen:

Those two doors? Lead to the same space. I think someone meant to put up a wall so they'd be two separate rooms and it never happened.

Still in the process of moving but I will be living upstairs while getting downstairs livable. Upstairs is a more recent add-on and is ok.

Bed still lacks legs, but that's an easy enough fix for some day.

View from window:

Let's check out the attic space:

Oh no.

no no no

fffffuuuuccckkk

We will ignore that for now...

The house is full of "neat" "little" "touches"

[timg]blob:blob:https//imgur.com/e839bae7-9003-4376-9093-ddf2aebbb204[/timg]

I'm gonna need an electrician to look at this at some point...

BASEMENT TIME

Stairs need replacing
[timg]blob:https://imgur.com/9d71bcea-2088-426a-908f-0c35b3c4edf6[/timg]

"Apple mash -92"

Basement itself

The floor was raised by one of the previous owners because the basement was always wet. Still is. So I gotta hunch over. Here you can see down to the original floor a bit better:

So, let's talk about background here.
My grandpa built this house in like the 50's or something. Originally he wanted it to be slightly higher up elevation wise but the land owner, also his father in law, refused to sell him the plot he wanted. As a result, the basement is kind of hosed, and there's a tiny sliver of plot right behind the house that is just forest. Too tiny a forest to be useful for that, and also not likely something you'd be granted permission to build on. I might try to buy this plot at some point in the future but don't know yet.
The house originally had no bathroom or upstairs, those were added later. When the bathroom was added more foundation was made and more basement space, but there was never a door or event wall put in to the new basement space. There is a window to it so it is accessible from the outside but uh... Yeah, no.
the most recent resident was my aunt and my parents owned the place. My dad didn't have time to do upkeep and my aunt was in no condition to do it either, so it's not in great shape. More recently my aunt had started smoking inside but "luckily" only downstairs. So the entire downstairs area needs to be renovated. As you can also see the place didn't get emptied when I bough it.
My grand dad, aunt and two cousins have lived here so it's full of "family stuff" but due to the smoking that happened most of the stuff is just gonna get thrown away. I may try to save some furniture though. I'd need to sand and repaint them so I'll take it on a case by case basis if no one else in the family wants it.

So here's what I hope will get done in this thread:
1: Move in, clean old apartment and square away poo poo in the upstairs area.
2: Tear up "new" floor in the basement
3: Add a doorway to "new" basement space
4: Start digging up the drainage system, reveal house foundation to get it to dry out, dig up and empty current sewage container and move it to the lawn so I can have a longer line to it and have the lawn act as a "drainage field" (don't know if this is the correct term, basically the pipes will allow lighter stuff to seep into the soil and heavier stuff goes into the sewage container)
5: put new drainage in BELOW THE loving FOUNDATION OF THE HOUSE LIKE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE
6: start renovating the downstairs area. Start with the entry/hallway and then move to stairs->kitchen->bedroom->livingroom. Replace woodstove in kitchen with a heavier one that retains heat better.
7: Proper kitchen, but this is going to require so much money it won't happen for probably at least 2 years.
8: Bathroom renovation, also going to cost a lot of money so not happening for a while.

I've had a few people over to check out the house to see that the foundation etc is in order and that there's no mold (the wooden stairs in the basement need to be replaced though). Have also been using an ozone generator to get rid of the worst smell downstairs, but some still exists and cling to clothes and textiles down there.
The plan is to get my dads digger in working order, dig, dry out the foundation then put up some isolation so the temperature in the basement is a bit more consistent (saving me money by not needing to heat quite as much)
If my dads digger doesn't work and I can't dig myself I'm told to expect 5-10 000€ more in labor costs :/

But for now, I gotta move in, get the upstairs area in better shape so I can live here. Next week my vacation starts so I will start doing stuff and posting progress reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Ground floor of this one. Looks like you have your work cut out but it will be amazing once it's all done. Good luck!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Aw yiss another motherfuckin house project. I can’t wait to see what you do!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Sorry for the lack of updates, moving has been harder on me than I thought and I only find myself able to do physical labor for like one hour per day. But vacation starts today, so I can take it easier (once I clean out the old apartment properly at least)

Meanwhile, I walked up to the forest you can see in one of the pictures below, it's a pretty straight dirt road (one slight curve) and about 500 meters until you hit the forest. Though I spent time here in my childhood, they have chopped enough trees that I can't really recall where the good spots are.
But you can still find berries real easy

Blueberries and lingonberries. Too bad I don't really like lingonberries in their raw form but I'll go whole hog on some blueberries. Also found a single raspberry.

There were also wild strawberry plants but they are pretty temperamental about actually producing berries

This anthill is also pretty close to my house, right at the end of the driveway, so I will need to deal with this somehow. Don't know how yet, a small controlled fire would be fun and disastrous.

Hopefully I will get more updates during next week. I did find my cousins old "these are my friends!" book and one dudes page had been all scribbled over and in big letters the words "$name IS GAY" were written very aggressively. Now I want to know the story of this...

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

organburner posted:

4: Start digging up the drainage system, reveal house foundation to get it to dry out, dig up and empty current sewage container and move it to the lawn so I can have a longer line to it and have the lawn act as a "drainage field" (don't know if this is the correct term, basically the pipes will allow lighter stuff to seep into the soil and heavier stuff goes into the sewage container)

In the US we call this a leach field. They’re a pain in the rear end.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Liked and subscribed. I somehow visualized this house to be in much worse condition based on what you'd told me about it before. The little red barn is just delightful. :)

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Very curious to see what's in the future home gym, as well as why the stairs are so weak. Also, why is the upper floor in such better shape than the ground floor?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Very interesting thread. Greetings from the Vaasa region.

EDIT:
Took a closer look and that old timey stove next to the electric, is it a wood fired one? Never seen them looking like that. It would be cool if you kept a woodburning stove, or if not, I think they fetch money. Seems to me if you are on a budget, a lot of that crap people might pay for.

Does the house have any pönttöuunis? They are great and can be taken down and rebuilt without much trouble.

The outhouse looks great for turning into a shop IMO, I'd love to has big an outhouse like that. All that crap in there might have buyers if you are up to dealing with that.

Are you going for a "conservation" type of renovation to keep as much of the old as possible, or is this tear everything out and replace with new modern technology kind of repair?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 25, 2020

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Apologies for the lack of updates in this thread, it's been weird times. Basically the house came with a washing machine that broke in a way that kept me up until 5 am and since then my lack of sleep has hosed me over.

Sirotan posted:

Liked and subscribed. I somehow visualized this house to be in much worse condition based on what you'd told me about it before. The little red barn is just delightful. :)

I still need to take some detail shots of the parts that are mad hosed up. The electrics are what one said was "not great condition" and another guy said "might be dangerous" so I need to get an electrician in ASAP to check that out.
The red barn is awesome, unfortunately it is full of stuff and the stairs that go up to the second floor there will not carry my weight until I rebuild them.

Zipline posted:

Very curious to see what's in the future home gym, as well as why the stairs are so weak. Also, why is the upper floor in such better shape than the ground floor?

The upper floor is a later addition which is why it's in better shape. It's also a project that is unfinished, which is why the only light switch for the stair lights are... upstairs. The stairs are also super slippery when wearing socks.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Very interesting thread. Greetings from the Vaasa region.

EDIT:
Took a closer look and that old timey stove next to the electric, is it a wood fired one? Never seen them looking like that. It would be cool if you kept a woodburning stove, or if not, I think they fetch money. Seems to me if you are on a budget, a lot of that crap people might pay for.

Does the house have any pönttöuunis? They are great and can be taken down and rebuilt without much trouble.

The outhouse looks great for turning into a shop IMO, I'd love to has big an outhouse like that. All that crap in there might have buyers if you are up to dealing with that.

Are you going for a "conservation" type of renovation to keep as much of the old as possible, or is this tear everything out and replace with new modern technology kind of repair?

Yes the stove next to the narrow lovely electric one (can't use burners and ovens at the same time lol) is a wood fired one. I am hoping to replace it with something that retains heat better as it is a "cooking" stove not a "heat up house" stove. I am hoping to get a combination wood fired stove/oven/heat reserving fireplace but I need to see if that's in the budget. There is a pönttöuuni that has been converted to electric in the living room, winter will show how well it works if at all.
I will probably modernize the house as it is already sort of a hodge-podge of different styles, but I will keep as much stuff as I can for money reasons. I have to tear up the inner walls though, otherwise the smell will linger forever if I don't replace the isolation material.
The issue is that everything downstairs except for the bathroom has been infused with a mix of tobacco smoke and "something that was sprayed into the walls in the 80's to isolate the house better" (loving no one knows what this is and I don't know how to describe the smell) So anything wooden needs to be repainted, anything textile probably just thrown away. I don't think the smell would stick to metal though. The house has been through several rounds of ozone generator use so the smell is not quite as pervasive as it was but it will stick to clothes and the like.

I need to take more pics once I have time but by the time I get back here from cleaning my old apartment I'm usually just too wiped.

What my car has looked like for the last few trips. I was supposed to borrow a van but that kinda fell through and by the time I found out it fell through I had already moved most of my stuff anyway.

Why it has taken so long to move and clean the apartment. Top is inside, bottom outside. The apartment just will not cool down in the summer and it's been pretty humid so I've only lasted for a few hours every day. It is nearly finished now though.
I have one of those fun bodies that can be over and under hydrated in the summer as well if I don't remember to drink some sports drinks.

I did get some stuff done around the house though:

Tore up the stairs leading to the living space in the shed (I will need to take pics of this, basically it's an isolated apartment that has electric heating, someone used to live there. Don't think there's any water there though).

All the tools you need it sometimes feels like. Nearly took that sledgehammer to the old washing machine when it hosed with me, but instead I demolished the stairs while angry and sleep deprived.

The wall is not looking... good. There also appears to be a rat entrance right over that pile of sawdust. This will most likely be a project for next year though.

Also got tired of having these bare light bulbs right behind my monitors so I switched out this lamp

New one is pretty bright through the power of LED's

I need to take some more pics of the outhouse, or rather the interior of it.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Got another short update, it doesn't look like my dad is gonna be able to fix his digger in time so I'm probably just gonna have the same dudes who were gonna help with installing the new drainage stuff do the digging. I don't think I will be getting very far with a shovel and my vacation is almost over so even if I were to rent a digger I would only be able to get any real work done on the weekends.

Got some stuff done though.

All the ladies complain about the size of my plums

Decided to yeet the old cabinet from the bathroom as it was filthy:

New one is cheap. Light is also new. These are just temporary until I can afford to renovate the bathroom, but the bathroom is alright as it is.

Also started tearing up the old deck:

Some of the wood gave way under the 4kg sledge but some was surprisingly persistent and had to be pried off with a crowbar. I don't know why the rusted metal drum is there. Some of the planks leaked water as I applied pressure to them, a good sign.

Got this far:

The noticed this

Which I don't know if it's a problem or not, gonna have someone take a look. Didn't notice it under previous inspection because it was nicely hidden by one of the supports for the deck.
The rest of the deck/stairs to the door there are held up by a metal frame, so it will be a bit harder to tear it up, but it will be torn up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sup washing-machine-hosed-you-over buddy

Making progress! At least it should start to cool soon at night if you can get some circulating fans .

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cracks happen in foundations, it doesn't look too bad to me considering the age.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Update once again, it's been too wet of a season to start fixing the basement, so that will be postponed until summer. Meanwhile I've tried to have some fireplace people over to see about replacing the stove and I haven't gotten much further than that on that front either. I kinda want to try fixing up a temporary kitchen but I also want the fireplace installed before I start investing too heavily into the kitchen if that makes sense?

But that doesn't mean I've been completely passive!

Got the last planks of the rotting back stairs torn off the frame. It's kind of a shame, it seemed to me it was solidly built just not maintained.

At first glance I thought these pieces of rebar(?) were attached to the stair frame but they weren't!

My galaxy brain decided to see if I could simply lift the frame and drag it away (as opposed to, you know, cutting it where it is into pieces)
Surprisingly I managed to shift it, but I'd need to dig it up if I wanted to try dragging it away. Might try a metal saw to cut it in pieces instead, I got all winter to deal with it now anyway.

When it hasn't been raining I've been busy in the kitchen. Busy emptying cupboards

This one was filled with stuff that is now in boxes waiting for someone to go "oh do you have that one cup" and me to go "It's in one of those boxes, tell you what, you take them all home and go through them ok?" or until I just chuck 'em.
I need to tear out the sink and electric stove from that wall as well as the new fireplace will have to go against that wall since that's where the chimney is, and depending on what fireplace I get I probably won't have space for a sink there.

So I think I might install the sink against this wall?

The water heater is right behind the wall to the right there so pulling the pipes shouldn't be too difficult.

Can you guess where the cups were placed? When emptying out the cupboard I was thinking "Why did they put away so many dirty dishes without washing" before realizing the dishes were not dirty when put away. They became dirty thanks to smoking later on.

Also I think I forgot to post that my bed got legs!

And here's my sweet TV set up. Need to have that shelf there for my temporary 4g modem until I get fiber installed.

So right now I'm waiting for word on a new fireplace, but I think it's probably not going to happen this year either due to them being too busy. I'm not about to install one myself either as I'd probably gently caress it up. if I don't receive word for a while I'll probably just start working on tearing poo poo out from the kitchen since that needs to be done anyway and then start fixing the entryway into decent shape. Paint the ceiling, the walls, sand the floors and repaint that as well, all that kind of fun stuff.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 16, 2020

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Hello!

So I kinda got hooked on sleeping meds that made me sleep all day and then withdrawal made me wish for sleep all day and I've been kind of a mess of a hosed up not quite human bean.
Things have been happening, if slowly though. Kitchen still needs to be emptied but I did get some stuff done in the yard at least.

First off, the frame for the old deck:

My dad came by with an angle grinder while I was working and bisected it. I wanted it reduced to smaller bits but "if we keep it in two parts we can weld it together in case someone needs it later!"
My dad is a hoarder.

A neighbour came by with a giant... I guess it's like a weedwhacker attached to a tractor? Then my dad later came by to plough the lawn/field after the grass had been cut. I'm not sure why exactly but I won't have to worry about mowing for a bit.

Anyway, bonfire time. Needed to burn up some of the random furniture that was no longer in usable shape and I didn't want to bother restoring as well as some of the wood from the deck and other random stuff. Some of the planks were so wet they seeped water when grabbed.

It starts kinda slow.

But then I had to step back due to the heat

Don't worry about the overhead lines, they aren't as close as the picture might make you believe. One of those is my fiber and I did not want that to get destroyed so soon after getting it installed!
And slowly the fire died out. I forgot to take pictures later on when it was getting dark but it took a while.

Next day.

I still got some other random wooden structures I need to tear down and burn, but I'm not sure if I'll get to it before the snow hits. There's also more furniture to burn.

Some old deck thing I leaned against and a plank came loose. Surprisingly sturdy considering it hasn't been maintained though.

We Do Not Talk About The Shack

Also the fireplace people never contacted me so I should get on that at some point. Luckily it's still kinda warm out.
Hopefully I'll get the kitchen emptied out soon-ish so I can start loving around there.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Glad you are back on track! :toot:

I'm surprised you can just burn things, rather than having to take them to the tip.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't think it's entirely legal to burn all that stuff, some of it yes but I don't think it's kosher to burn s mattress.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I don't think it's entirely legal to burn all that stuff, some of it yes but I don't think it's kosher to burn s mattress.

It's what my neighbors do and when in rome etc...
I should look this up at some point because it didn't even occur to me it could be illegal when literally my cop neighbors do the same thing lol.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I don't expect a guy called organburner to care about the legality of burning things anyway.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You all will be laughing when he harvests a bumper crop of partially melted bedsprings next season

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Partycat posted:

You all will be laughing when he harvests a bumper crop of partially melted bedsprings next season

they are easier to haul to the dump than mattresses tbh.

And I got a poo poo ton of metal I need to haul to the dump. This yard is nasty.

Sirius Jayne
Nov 29, 2020

Jayne's getting Sirius

Zoesdare posted:

In the US we call this a leach field. They’re a pain in the rear end.

I have a “septic tank and drain field”, and while they can be a PITA, thus far it’s been low to no maintenance *knock wood*. The key is, in these systems the tank can’t freeze solid as the whole thing operates on gravity and evaporation. Waste goes to the tank -> top level ‘effluent’ is siphoned off to the drain field -> drain field is sloped so as the effluent travels downhill, it also evaporates. I believe the size and distance between the distribution lanes is defined by the slope, soil type, and what it’s “perked” out for (i.e. maximum waste load per sq. ft of drain field). There’s an informative website that might give some good ideas how to proceed, I’d search for, “Everything you need to know about septic drain fields”.

Organburner, good luck with this project!! It’s gonna be huge! Like the hands of the man who would be king. . .

Sirius Jayne
Nov 29, 2020

Jayne's getting Sirius

organburner posted:

It's what my neighbors do and when in rome etc...
I should look this up at some point because it didn't even occur to me it could be illegal when literally my cop neighbors do the same thing lol.

Might wanna make sure you’re upwind though, who knows that kinda cancer causing agents could be activated in the 🔥!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Sirius Jayne posted:

Might wanna make sure you’re upwind though, who knows that kinda cancer causing agents could be activated in the 🔥!

Oh yeah, definitely don't want to huff the smoke.
I'm still buying some tools and equipment for when I start sanding floors but need more cash money, things are going kinda slow.
Also need to figure out how to inspect the space between the bathroom ceiling and the roof as I keep hearing sounds from there (I think) and it's probably a mouse or something. I already caught one mouse in a trap earlier but I suspect there's more, because there's always more.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Been almost a month since my last update, but not much has really happened due to some issues with medicine and the like, but I think I'm getting some wind back in my sail... Maybe.

What did happen though, is I got a birthday/xmas present:

Just dumped in the shed...

Oh well.

While distracted I neglected to put on the correct shoes while chopping some of the firewood one day and, well

Don't, uh, don't chop wood without steel capped boots imo.

It took a while to stack this, and I'll have to check the pieces before using them as some are too big to fit inside the little stove I have so I'll need to saw them (Chopping fire wood lengthwise doesn't really work) but maybe this winter will be mild enough that I don't need to use the big pieces yet. Then I can maybe just get a better fireplace before next winter!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Me a few days ago: "Winter is pretty mild, some snow might be nice..."
Later:

Me: "That's about just the right amount of snow."

This morning:

Up to my dick in snow!

I had hosed up and left the car too close to the shed/garage which made for a nice little snow collection valley.

He lives!
Took me more than an hour to get the fucker out of there and to the store for food.
Which leads me to some small progress reports. I've started tearing poo poo up in the kitchen. Want to get things to the point I could maybe get some cheap temp kitchen installed in the summer. That would involve moving the sink and maybe re-doing electrics, but will definitely involve the following:
Tearing down the integrated cabinets.
Tearing down the trim pieces.
Tearing down the wallpaper.
Unscrewing pretty much everything.
Replacing the insulation in the walls.
Painting the ceiling, getting new poo poo (water and electrics) installed, figuring out what I want to do with the walls (paint/wallpaper? something else?)
And finally sanding the floors and painting that.

So my arms are real loving tired after loving around with the snow, so didn't get too much done.

Trying to get at the cabinets. I might re-purpose the doors and hinges and make a fire wood container/bench thing with them.

Kinda doing things haphazardly, not gonna lie. No real organization going on here.

Cool thing about the integrated cabinets, they've got this little ventilation hatch leading outside so the cabinets stay cool. Unfortunately this means once I get it removed the kitchen will be colder.

Speaking of cold, it's not that cold here yet, like -10 degrees celsius, but my power bill was almost 500€ for 2 months thanks to electric heating so I uh, adjusted some radiators and now if I don't burn wood in the stove my bedroom/office/livingroom is like 17 degrees celsius and my bathroom hovers around 16. I only found out later that the ceiling in the bathroom is not insulated so uh... Something I need to investigate. But that brings up another point: I have no loving clue how to get to the space between the ceiling and the roof there to check!

The stove will need replacing as well. After getting the chimney swept, the airflow is loving insane even if I have the vent thing almost all the way closed a load of firewood will only last at most an hour, and that's if I use the pieces that just about barely fit in there. Used to have a Jøtul where I grew up

It kinda sucked because it didn't reserve that much heat, being all free-standing like that, but you could put so much firewood in that fucker that the embers would last ages.
Unfortunately I don't know if I will be able to afford upgrading the stove this year.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah those jötuls aren't very efficient in the end, even though they put out a lot of heat. If I wanted to use firewood for heating I'd consider a masonry heater.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah those jötuls aren't very efficient in the end, even though they put out a lot of heat. If I wanted to use firewood for heating I'd consider a masonry heater.

Our cats used to sleep underneath ours, even when it would seem like that would be hotter than the drat sun.
But yeah I'm looking at something like this https://www.tulikivi.com/en/products/HU3400_13
Or similar, I don't know if that specific one will fit. 3500 ish kilograms of soapstone should retain heat nicely.

Unfortunately the installers seem pretty busy. I need to contact them again.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

organburner posted:

It kinda sucked because it didn't reserve that much heat, being all free-standing like that, but you could put so much firewood in that fucker that the embers would last ages.
Unfortunately I don't know if I will be able to afford upgrading the stove this year.

We had one of these when I was a kid and I only just remembered it. Holy poo poo.

vibez~

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

gently caress.

I'm gonna need some help for this as I can't lift the door and screw the thingy back in place with only two hands.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

*into communicator* Look around you, see if you can form a rudimentary pile of junk to crib the door

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

organburner posted:

gently caress.

I'm gonna need some help for this as I can't lift the door and screw the thingy back in place with only two hands.

Eh, screw a hook above the fallen corner, use a ratchet strap between it and the handle. Should work just fine.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

It's not todays problem. Between all the fuckery with shoveling snow and managing firewood (chopping and sawing) my arms and shoulders are real tired at all times so I'm having some trouble getting stuff done in the kitchen.
I've torn down some more stuff but I think I need a rest before I gently caress myself up further.

But yeah I might end up doing something like the hook to handle idea once my arms are no longer noodles.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Argh, I decided to clean the uh, what's known as a "stench trap" here under my bathroom sink, but I couldn't get it off so I decided to unscrew the whole thing and, well, the screw holding the stuff in place was rusted and now the threads are stripped and long story short I'm without a sink.

Took me a while of screwing to figure out the threads were stripped and that's why I couldn't attach the fucker back.
My brother has an extra one so gonna hopefully get it fixed tomorrow but man I hate it when a 5 minute thing becomes an ordeal and then can't get fixed.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
P-Trap, aka pee-trap, or as you're aware, the source of the smells from Satan's anus. In my opinion, the worst part about removing them is that you can never get all of the water out, by design. Just flush them really good with clean water before you start working and be prepared for it to spill everywhere but your bucket when you finally break the pipes loose.

What kind of pipes are under your sink? All of mine are PVC, I dislike them because they are connected with plastic screw on collars and o-rings. I assume yours are most likely brass? I think chrome plated brass p-traps would certainly look nice, but that bit about the threads rusting together sounds terrible. The PVC traps like look like poo poo, and they gets stained overtime and you can never truly clean them, but I've never had PVC threads rust together.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Not Wolverine posted:

P-Trap, aka pee-trap, or as you're aware, the source of the smells from Satan's anus. In my opinion, the worst part about removing them is that you can never get all of the water out, by design. Just flush them really good with clean water before you start working and be prepared for it to spill everywhere but your bucket when you finally break the pipes loose.

What kind of pipes are under your sink? All of mine are PVC, I dislike them because they are connected with plastic screw on collars and o-rings. I assume yours are most likely brass? I think chrome plated brass p-traps would certainly look nice, but that bit about the threads rusting together sounds terrible. The PVC traps like look like poo poo, and they gets stained overtime and you can never truly clean them, but I've never had PVC threads rust together.

I'm not good enough to identify metals, but the screw is deffo some kind of metal. I don't really care about stains as long as poo poo isn't actually dirty tbh.

I almost want to suspect this thing has never been cleaned it's in such a state, but I dunno. I didn't manage to open the fucker the normal way so can't get inside for a look, which is why I removed it from the sink completely.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Hello.

Been doing things slowly, first off:

Removed this cabinet door, as I was wanting to use it as a lid for a combined fire wood box / bench I need to draw up some plans for. Removing it was a loving pain and the door is heavy as poo poo since it's not this modern ikea paper door poo poo, it's solid loving wood.

Without exaggerating I think it took me two hours to unscrew these fuckers.

The screws were painted over and the groove for the screwdriver was pretty shallow to begin with. So I put a screwdriver and a hammer to work, but there was not much space to work with so it took a while. Also tried to use a knife to grind the paint off since it was kinda slippery. I don't know if I should do the same thing with the other door, could make 2 fire wood box / bench things...

Anyway, time to put the crowbar to work!

I decided to retire to the local book store.

Ok you know what? let's not do that.
I think it's some kind of self published sci-fi book, but it might be a local author so don't want to put too much info out there

So instead I decide to swing the sledgehammer around from the inside of the cabinet and demolish the wall. Swinging he sledgehammer at the upper planks was a bad idea though as my shoulder hurts now.
The next cabinet wall has the planks running vertically, so I will need to see how those are attached.

EDIT:

I tried to fix the garage door via the hook rope method and, well, it did not go well:

The hook did not take the weight of the door. I didn't have enough strength to lift it myself and maneuver it into place anyway.
Luckily my brother came by so I got some help for it finally.

organburner fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 7, 2021

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Oh gently caress I haven't updated this in a while.

I got the offer for fixing my basement etc and it's "not gonna afford a kitchen for a while" money so I've moved my temporary kitchen downstairs so I can actually use it. No pics as it's not really done. I haven't done much since updating but once we start working on the basement I'm gonna try to start updating the thread again unless yall want to see my half-assed yard work (half-assed since a lot of this poo poo is gonna get excavated soon enough anyway)

Gonna be almost 30k€ to fix the basement issues.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ok, summer is here, I got ADD meds after getting diagnosed as an "eh, maybe, I guess? maybe you got ADD" case so maybe things will go more weller in the futures.
Meanwhile some small things.

First off it's summer so I got a grill

Strange omens abound in the woods

Can they even be seen? Creatures invading, yet I have no quarrel with them...

Strange shapes in shadows, nigh impossible to see and invisible to my camera

What could it mean?

We may never understand... But we may try to tame...

And yet the ill omens continued

Something is supposed to be attached to that...

Ah.

Anyway I moved my kitchen downstairs so I could actually use it, also bought some more kitchen things such as a mini oven and an electric grill thing so I can make more foodes.

And summer is here so time to install the portable AC!

Excellent job, me!

In these trying times, I recommend getting a friend

A friend worth their weight in gold...

TOO BAD THE CEILING IS SO LOW IN THE BASEMENT I THREW MY BACK OUT AFTER 10 MINUTES!
I need to figure out my ergonomics here, I might have to just tough it out until I can clear a spot where I can stand. The floor is like butter to this thing, holy drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Gonna just fill up a big bucket...

The bigger the bucket the more efficient I am!

Why does everything hurt now?!?