Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hello is this the thread where I talk about steak being well-done tasting good and watch otherwise reasonable people become volcanoes of fury

Also good overcooked: eggs, toast, and I suppose theoretically a well-done steak and over-hard egg sandwich on blackened toast

It is your right to be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Myron Baloney posted:

Maybe a digression is what this thread needs so tendie crew gets a breather. Another way people are weird about food is to be food snobs for dumb reasons. Lots of good American foods are very underrated basically because of classism. I don't know how it is in other lands, feel free to jump in.

American cheese is good. I don't eat the individually wrapped singles much but if you're going to melt them it's fine, just admit you like melted Kraft Singles. I really like American cheese that I get at the deli, melted or not. I think the packaged "deluxe" style American cheese that isn't individually wrapped is pretty similar to that if you don't have delis with bulk cheese. It's as good as any fresh-style cheese, they're all bland and taste basically like milk. That's what they're supposed to taste like. I'm actually not a big fan of Velveeta because it's too goddamn salty.

Yellow mustard is good. It smells good. It tastes good. Its nice clean acidic flavor is a very nice foil to the richness of a hot dog. It's useful in cooking. The turmeric gives it a nice bright color and a flavor that is pretty unique. On burgers, the combo of ketchup and yellow mustard is iconic. I like Dutch or Dusseldorf style on a burger with just onions and pickles, but if it's got tomato, lettuce, and ketchup it will get French's.

Hershey's chocolate is good. Milk chocolate itself is good and Hershey's is one of the better ones. Everybody screams about how they love complex flavors. Well, the ever-so-slight butyric tang of Hershey's milk chocolate is complex as hell, and I think milk chocolate without it tastes bland and sugary in comparison. No, it does not taste like vomit. No more than blue mold cheeses or Parmigiano do - and since those can be acquired tastes maybe that's the issue. My only complaint about Hershey's is that it dries out fairly quickly so maybe if you don't like it you got some old chocolate. Hershey's Kisses dry out about ten minutes after they're made.

Iceberg lettuce is good. You cannot beat that sweet crunch. Yes, you should also eat other salad greens too, and iceberg gives great contrast in texture and flavor mixed with soft and bitter leaves. I don't see anyone crapping on melons which are even worse but mention iceberg and you always get IT'S JUST SUGAR AND WATER. What's wrong with that as long as you don't try to live on it?

I do like Hershey's milk chocolate a whole lot better than European style milk chocolate which is definitely too sweet for my taste. I'll take dark chocolate over both most of the time though. Also yellow mustard is very good on a hot dog. I like the extra vinegary flavor of it and I think it cuts through the greasy hot dog taste quite nicely.