Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello is this the thread where I talk about steak being well-done tasting good and watch otherwise reasonable people become volcanoes of fury

Also good overcooked: eggs, toast, and I suppose theoretically a well-done steak and over-hard egg sandwich on blackened toast

Do it ironically posted:

The only reason to not be vegan is you're a selfish person who doesn't care about reducing suffering
Look at this newb who has not been out-insufferabled yet by an indigenous locovore

(they are right, incidentally; eating only things that grow/live within walking distance from your home is the only way to not actively kill the planet since like bok choy probably contributes as much to global warming in its epic transcontinental voyage as a cow does)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I forgot to tell the story about the first time I went out to dinner with my now-wife and her family

We went to the closest thing to a good Italian restaurant we have in the area, and I knew not to order the most expensive thing since someone else was paying for it, so I got the lamb that was only a little more than the average cost of other things.

Every member of her family but her looked up from their menus to stare at me when I said the word "lamb" instead of saying the only edible animal word, "chicken"

I should have known it was not a good fit from that moment alone (though my wife has gamely progressed from that background to someone whose favorite cuisine is Ethiopian so it worked out culinarily)

Also I am one of those people who had a literal food aversion thanks to spending a day throwing up from the flu while the whole house filled with the aroma of a dozen pizzas being made for a big part. It took about 5 years to stop gagging when it got too near my nose, and now more than 20 years later I can finally eat tomato sauce pizza and even sort of like it occasionally, kind of!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Barudak posted:

Hey we cooked this delicious fish meal but oh-ho-ho-ho its chockfull of hundreds of tiny dagger bones, broken randomly as the meat cleaver smashed through them, so you must chew each bite with care and precision lest your mouth become like a hunted whale. Take them out before we cook them? Preposterous, the bones contain the ~flavor~

Everytime they order fish they ask "why do you eat so slow? Do you hate fish???"
I suspect there is some very useful occupation you are well-suited for given your ability to feel pain where other people feel nothing.

Though who am I to talk, I cannot really drink soda because it burns my pathetic baby throat so badly that I cannot understand why anyone likes carbonation. Though at least soda is flavored pain; I would have to be literally about to die from thirst before I would drink sparkling water

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Barudak posted:

Its not a me thing, every other non-Chinese part of my family or American guests that eats with them is like "why are their broken bones everywhere in these fish?" If you've not experienced it, please come visit rural china and feel the joy of the tiny fish and the infinite bonestorm
Oh perfect, I am on my way now. Could definitely use a bonestorm in my life. And more hot rice

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Wendigee posted:

puking up icecream isn't even that bad.. some how the milk removes the acid from your guts and you just kind of taste ice cream as you vomit fluids into your tub. There is no burn of bile taste. Make sure and drink plenty of water afterwards.
Seconding this, as the least awful time I ever threw up I had drank two huge glasses of chocolate milk about 15 minutes previously and it literally just seemed like the chocolate milk returned unchanged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My earliest sexist belief was that all women like mint chocolate ice cream. It did take me until I was in my mid-20s before I met a woman who did not like it. Fortunately that immediately destroyed the patriarchy in my heart as well.