Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If I make one prediction for 6.0 it will be that Fandaniel tries to turn on Zenos and gives him a 'you were just a pawn in my grand scheme' speech and Zenos just goes haha no and effortlessly bodies him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

Feo Ul, like Ryne is too cool to be left behind.

Also I apologize if this has been brought up before, but I just found out about this thread, but the biggest disappointment for me with Shadowbringers is thus far being the warrior of darkness has meant nothing more than a linguistic trick of changing worlds. I really do still hope that it would be such a fundamental change that calling us a warrior of light anymore wouldn't work! Hell we even fight other WoL's though it's so bloodless it disappoints me too. We should've actually had to drat the heroes of other worlds to stop Elidibus.

I don't know, I love the reveals of the ascians, but us being Azem is just kind of boring because thus far Azem is just us...we've always been the magical murder hobo maverick, instead of really adding anything as a reveal. Just that you were totally awesome and you are now totally awesome and everyone loves you. :shrug:

It would've been cool if along with the reveal of the ascians we see that Hydaelyn's goals aren't our goals too. And that we will have to become something 'different' to resolve this.

That's pretty much the implication from everything revealed so far though, Azem wasn't aligned to the Zodiark or Hydaelyn factions and probably wasn't onboard with the idea of the fracturing of the Source. Everything seems to be building towards moving past the need for artifically constructed godheads that rewrite the rules of creation and putting the ol' reigns of history back in the hands of man.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say that our (we aren't Azem) and Hydaelyn's goals are aligned. She wanted to stop Zodiark and preserve life on the planet. We like the latter too.

Until she heal-turns and starts munching on souls to stay alive, we're on the same team.

Hydaelyn just initiated a different flavour of genocide instead, the Ascians have a pretty legitmate grieveance with her in that she *did* eradicate the near entireity of their civilisation and species. Both Primals were crude attempts to paper over whatever disasterous hole in reality caused the fall of Amaurot and which we know Azem/the WoL would have prefered to deal with with the aid of seven other likeminded comrades and a good music track.

If the world is going to move on past the ancient feud between light and dark it only makes sense that both instigators of it have to step aside and let a new world be born.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So you are expecting them to use the same plot twist twice?

Hydaelyn has already killed untold millions of people, it was the very reason she was created.

She's clearly not evil or malicious, but as Shadowbringers exhaustively established everyone is the hero of their own story and her good intentions dont change the fact that she eradicated the entire original civilisation of the Ascians in creating its reflections.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Has Zodiark actually done anything yet? I get that the Ascian's are acting on behalf of him and the rejoinings/calamities are to rebuild him, but has he actually done anything?

Isn't the implication that without his heart, Elidibus, he's just an empty vessel lying around for any old Echo wielding war crazed psychopath to pick up and repurpose?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Personally, I think there is more we do not know about Hydaelyn and Zodiark that would color things in for both, and I am willing to wait and see. Like I said, there is going to be a big reckoning about Hydaelyn being a primal, I think.

Fair, I'd just be surprised if she made it out of the finale alive, especially when she'd make such a good final capstone fight in 6.3 assuming we fight Zodiark at the end of 6.0.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 18, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Briefly appearing to Emet-Selch as Azem is pretty suggestive in itself too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It also depends whether by evil you mean people who do bad things for bad reasons, like most of the antagonists in the game, or people who knowingly and willfully evil acts for the sheer pleasure of doing so which would be a vanishingly small list because even in fantasy fiction very most people have some kind of rationale for why their cause is just which would make them not 'evil'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Zenos' turns into 'Zeromus' so easily ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I fully expect to get some Zeromus thing when we actually go to the Moon.

Yeah that would be my guess for the finale. Zenos makes himself the new heart of Zodiark (who is sealed in the Moon, obviously) and then loses his rationality entirely and becomes a creature of pure destruction - Zeromus

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I do think it's an inevitability that 6.0 will feature us facing down a Garlean primal. We've pushed them too hard and shaken their sense of self-worth too hard for any other outcome. Yeah, I know they don't have magic, but they're getting better and better at finding creative/horrifying solutions to that little problem.

I don't know the finer details of Garlean aether deprivation lore but I reckon you could make a pretty good fight out of a legendary field commander who becomes a primal of themselves after you initially defeat them through the sheer faith their troops in them, like a positive version of Garuda's origin

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The world is not prepared for Hot Trump

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I get a very strong impression of Fandaniel thinking he's the Kefka to Zenos's Gestahl when he's actually going to be another Lahabrea getting owned by the guy he thought he was playing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think even her biggest stans have ever called Yotsuyu 'morally grey' (amnesia arc not withstanding)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hadn't done Crystal Tower at the time so I guessed Alphinaud. If I had, I want to say G'raha would just be insanely obvious given his link to the tower and the Exarch's build

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

People absolutely have and for fairly justifiable reasons.

Yotsuyu's behavior was terrible and unforgivable but it was action taken against a country that did terrible and unforgivable things to her. She lived a life of immense abuse from every angle and had to struggle to remain a person instead of an object and her cruelty was a mirror of the cruelty inflicted upon her by both the Garleans and Domans. She spent her entire life in misery and suffering and the only time she had some realm of control is when she inflicted pain right back. It is absolutely coherently understandable why she behaves the way she did and why she felt she had no other choice.

The ongoing themes of people trapped in terrible situations and struggling to find some way to control the world around them is one of the biggest parts of FFXIV. For most villains (minus voidsent, elf-popes and capitalists) their behavior is usually built upon having no hope and no other way out. Most of what the WoL does isn't slaying gods but finding solutions that allow people to escape that eternal prison and it's usually treated as some form of tragedy when they can't.

I mean that's an explanation for her behavior, but it doesn't change it. She was still a straight up villain who was working to no greater goal than her own gratification, there's no moral ambiguity about her actions or motives for carrying them out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eimi posted:

The ending shot of the Eden raid is real 'subtle'. :v:

I hope one day's Japanese media companies can reach the levels of representation US media was a decade ago. Having the rest the final shot on a wink wink subtext image in 2020 is just kind of sad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes, American media absolutely has no hangups about portraying a gay cou-

I don't think I said American media is infallible, but there's plenty of adult and young adult media with extremely up and front queer representation now and even Korra walked so other shows could run. So I do think there's a substantive different to be made between that and Japanese media, where with only a few honourable exceptions, the default position is still to bury it in the subtext.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The biggest fuckign western media giant Avengers: Endgame was loving pushed super hard as big and bold for gay rep was a random extra going "I miss my husband." and captain america nodding stoically. that's not any better than just heavily implying that they're gay and writing to story as if they were and just not saying it.

This is Avengers just gesturing towards a lazy token scene it doesn't really care about though, rather than the writers clearly wanting to write a gay storyline but being stonewalled by cultural circumstances, which is the phenomena I'm trying to point out.

Curious about the China line though, is FF14 really that big in China that it has to be factored in like that?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah like knowing....anything about media from Japan just makes the whole "WHEN WILL THOSE STRANGE JAPANESE GET AS WOKE AS US ON GAYS STUFF?" poo poo even more loving stupid and disgusting. There's an insane amount of LBGTQ+ positive media from japan, not as much of it main stream as stuff that ignores it but that's just as true of our media too. It's just being weird about foreigners. Acting like we're so much better isn't loving earned at all.

This is kind of tiring having to respond to accusations I didn't make. I am not attacking the people of Japan, or claiming they produces no LGBT content. I am saying it sucks it has such a conservative corporate culture that limits what writers in major franchises like FF14 can do, like forcing them to Korra up the romance plot to get it past the censors. That is all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with Zenos and Alphonse, but I'm going to go with the Oversoul phase will be at the start of the fight and and then the phrase transition will be Alphonse's personality reasserting himself and gaining true control over Diamond Weapon, inverting the dynamics of the previous fights in the series. I'm going with this because they've already told us Oversoul is going to be immediately loaded in again and Alphonse seems to think he's still in with a chance to turn things around so he might have a trick up his sleeve to avoid ego death like the other pilots, so I reckon this time the drama isn't going to be in the Oversoul activation but what happens afterwards. Plus it would just be cool as heck if it's structured like Bloodborne's Ludwig the Accursed/Ludwig, The Holy Blade fight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

Do you think the remake/remaster will take some of those punishing edges off? The entire mythos seems intriguing but I'm still leery of the sexy robot game for some reason.

Like, I love butts and blindfolds as much as the next person but a while cast of it seems a bit much.

I think Nier is in the same category as Deadly Premonition of games that you have to enjoy in spite of the gameplay. I only played Automata which by all accounts is the most playable Yoko Taro game to date and I still found it alternatingly boring and actively obnoxious to play, I can't imagine what kind of ordeal the 'bad' games are to experience

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am really interested to see if they let Taro get nutty with it in the last act, or the main FF14 supervisors are going to insist on a course correct to a happy (or least least bittersweet) ending. I would love one story arc in this game to end with a bleak desolate '... gently caress' and no cheery, optimistic vision of the future in sight

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's also that Zodiark is inert and has no will of his own outside of the Elidibus, so it would follow that a tempered of Zodiark would have a great reverence towards him but also a great deal of latitude in interpreting their faith without their god directing his will straight into their brains

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My issue with that is a primal doesn't have to exert their will, and even then they don't control people. Being tempered is enough to turn them fanatical to the cause, which in general will align the individual's actions with the primal.

Elidubus's words make sense regardless. The only thing that really exists of him at that point is his mission, and anyone deviating from it at all would be abhorrent to him.

All of the tempered sylphs are fanatically devoted to Ramuh, even when Ramuh wasn't around or summoned. His presence makes no real difference to them, except to the point they either need to summon him or not. They don't go back to normal and to their free will again when we defeat him. Ramuh himself states he has no control over that. His proximity alone was enough to temper them, and once tempered, there was no going back (prior to 5.4). Zodiark being inactive or inert would be the same.

Tempering already varies greatly between primals though, like alot of the Drowned are like yeah Leviathan fuckin sucks lol and resent being bound to his will but can't do poo poo about it. So between that, Emet being an unsundered Ascian and Zodiark having no desires to impose on him there's plenty of wiggle room for tempering to be a less absolute process than it is for others imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I want to say there'd NPCs with background dialogue in Satasha Hard who are talking poo poo about him? But it's been a good while since I was in there. But definitely had it lodged in my brain that the Drowned aren't all huge fans of Leviathan

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thinking back on it, it's kinda funny the Ultimecia expy of Eden ended up being one of the main cast members with amnesia...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NachtSieger posted:

Emet-Selch created the Allagan Empire, whose main cultural exports are war crimes.

See also: the Garlean Empire!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He was still the ruler of an expanist empire forged by Emet-Selch to do conquest and imperialism, so at best he was a Gaius-tier idiot who didn't understand the consequences of his actions

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The WoL is a silly power fantasy character regardless of whom they are descended from. I'm not going to lose sleep over them bring literally the most important person in the world because they are just that cool, or because they used to be the Ascian WoL

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just don't buy the ancients just heard a spooky noise and got scared for the first time in the history of their species, and the act of getting scared alone sent their civilisation into a doom spiral. If getting spooked was enough to cause them to start uncontrollably conjuring monsters they never would have developed as a society long enough to create Amaurot, they'd still be hunter gatherers getting killed by folk demons of their own imagination

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everyone should be nicer to Clerietic, who is generally a polite and friendly poster even as people flame her and try and run her out the thread for no greater crime than posting goofy fantheories

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's a lot of naked male primals too. They're abstract, aestheticised beings, they don't need to dress sensibly or wear armour for protection, in a sense 'fan service' is a diegetic part of their conception and form

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

She's got a very typical 'classical European art' look, actually. Very Greek/Roman statues, even up to Renaissance paintings. So you're gonna have to ask questions about weirdly revealing art WAY older than Final Fantasy to get a proper answer here.

Couldn't possibly tell you why the robot throne, but the huge arcane ring behind her definitely creates a vibe that rings bells, I just can't fully describe where I know that from.

Every man and his dog is surrounded by three arcane rings in FF12, so possibly that?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Countblanc posted:

also that requires the characters to be very genre savvy and to realize they're in a story with forced drama and stakes by writers. in-world the WoL and allies are almost definitely one of the safest groups to handle dangerous artifacts

What if we chucked it down a hole? Y'know, a deep one, I'm sure that would get rid out it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Nah, there's a fair amount still around, and if Fandaniel can be a threat (and more to the point, can turn up out of nowhere to be a villain) they can all be.

We've still got Pashtarot, Altima, Deudalaphon, and Halmarut unaccounted for. Emmerololth is in a bit of a 'but we didn't see the body' situation where it's entirely plausible they were brought back after dying at Eureka, but we don't know if they have been. So still five or six Ascians to square off against.

They're also all low-tier sundered scrubs who can be killed conventionally without a massive plot device, so it wouldn't really have the same drama in any case

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gruckles posted:

We'll most likely encounter all the remaining Ascians to tie up the narrative, but not necessarily have to kill them.

It would be a very FF14 move if they had an ephiphany that other races had the right to exist and they just renounced evil and set up the Ascian institute for aetheric studies or something and tidily swept themselves out of the plot

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know exactly how it is going to happen, but I am absolutely postive Zenos will some way or another end up biting off more than he can chew and becoming a mutant horror for the final boss, probably called Zeromus

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Having dps and heal combos that can link between each other could be a cool gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is Scathach still meant to be kicking around, she seemed pretty expired after we killed her and then Diablos devoured her remains and then we killed him