Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like how they never specified Azem as male or female, either :allears:

fuckin' cute as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

remind me who venat is again?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Guy who lead the group summoning Hydaelyn, her heart

where did his name pop up because i am drawing only blanks on that name

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

she's a roegadyn because she wasn't the real Queen, she was a handmaiden chosen by the Blades to take the place of the real queen who took her own life rather than summon an eikon.

it's still a contrived twist of the story that allows them to not show female hrothgar, but they do at least explain it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

If we're dealing with the latter, then the Gunnhildr we see being a Roe makes sense, even if both the genuine Gunnhildr, and the original primal form, were Hrothgar; to Misija, she's a Roegadyn like her, so it only makes sense that a primal summoned based on her is also a Roegadyn. That's especially true if she's going off the figure she saw in the memory, who was the dead body of the decoy, in non-primal form.

yeah i agree with this. Misija clearly thinks that the Blades took advantage of and smeared the good name of her (very likely) ancestor, the handmaiden who took Gunhildr's place, and is using her memory and power to get revenge. the blade itself supplying the aether for the summoning.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Mar-A-Lago lifts into the skies above the Florida swamps as an even more grotesquely bloated Trump slowly floats away on tiny cherub wings, having devoured his aides, cabinet, and the contents of every McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Wendy's in the Greater DC Area

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

time skipping ahead on the Source for like ten years or so is totally feasible, you could get away with just replacing some NPCs with older versions and not have to change much environment wise. they do that sort of stuff all the time anyway when you progress through MSQ.

Eimi posted:

Time skip but also give us a portal for everyone between the Source and First so the fun new characters don't get shelved. This way we get adult twins, Ryne, Gaia, and also Ryne can join the Scions for real.

this would also own. let ryne join the team

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i also wonder, having watched through the 5.2 stuff again, where the hell is Venat these days. y'shtola and the crew kinda completely skipped over the whole revelation that he (she??) became the Heart of Hydaelyn, and now that we know that Zodiark's heart has still been around this whole time as Elidibus, I want to know where the hell her Heart has been. it's not me, because the Defector/Azem didn't coordinate with Venat's people to summon her (which is another interesting point i had forgotten). they reached out to him but he never responded.

could be that Venat became the Oracle of Light, but that leaves another mystery as to who the Oracle of Darkness is.

also, who's memories does Zenos have in his brain? does he have Emet's memories of the Last Days, given that he's his grandson? or something something implanted someones' via the artificial echo process?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

is it just me because i might have missed something, or do we even truly know what Gaius's hopes for the empire actually are? does he still think they should rule the world? or does he just want it to be a functioning society again, without ascian influence?

even after watching the Werlyt stuff again he doesn't give me the impression of still being a fascist. just a sad dad. plus if he does try and go back to the empire his elezen buddy will just shank him immediately

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah this thread is the spoiler thread, so it's all free game no tags. everybody here should be up to speed on everything (i'm only not up to speed on a bunch of job quests)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also regula has one of the best themes in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=916CXkqbENw

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

given all the bullshit about sylvanas in the last couple of years from WoW i dont actually know what "morally grey" even means any more.

having a believable backstory, and being able to understand the motivations behind their evil actions, is what makes a good villain. they don't have to be redeemable or sympathetic.

there's a lot of good villains in this game. gaius, nidhogg, yotsuyu, emet selch, elidibus, even zenos. none of them are purely evil just to be evil (zenos is on the borderline of that, but we don't actually have his full story yet either.) they all have their reasons.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

why does e12 boss need so many boobs though

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that's a weird place to hold your bull testicles not gonna lie

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have never played Drakengard. is it a fantasy game

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yes, the gameplay is on foot Dynasty Warriors style action spilt up with aerial segments that play kinda like Crimson Skies or Ace Combat

hmm yes. i have also never played any of those games but i think i get your meaning anyway!

so what's this i hear about an Orb/Seed and possibly a Sound

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

That would take pages and pages to explain so I'll just link this
https://youtu.be/__q_Nx9WbgY
You do not want to play those games, they are very bad. The story is good however.

Chillgamesh posted:

This post will contain Drakengard and NieR/Automata spoilers so if the gamer reading this wants to avoid that skip this post. It'll also probably contain narrative errors because I don't remember Drakengard or NieR Gestalt/Replicant super well!

man i watched these videos and read all this stuff and wow, what a crazy fuckin game.

i've never played any NieR game either and i can only suspect it's just as crazy if not more so.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i went and spent the entirety of my evening watching the rest of clemps's drakengard, nier, and nier automata analysis videos, and i gotta say: wow.

can't wait to see where the ffxiv poo poo goes

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And he gives Azem's stone to "Hythlodaeus" to give to the WoL. Maybe a contingent mercy to help put one of his last friends to peace, but still in direct opposition to Zodiark.

is it though? we still don't really know jack poo poo about Zodiark himself, we barely even know what "darkness" is, other than change, perhaps. we know from the 5.4 stuff that tempering aligns your soul closer to the element of the primal - but what does that mean for a Darkness primal? and one so fuckin huge and ancient that maybe it doesn't even fall under the elemental structure.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that's the wrong thread

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

I'm more wondering like, does this just include plants, or does it include animal life as well? 'Cause a planet without meaningful animal life across 90% of its surface is gonna be hosed for a looooong time.

probably just plants at first, and the animal life will have to spread out from Norvrandt over time

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also is azem related to azim from the steppe guys? azim was their sun god who took mortal form in a xaela body, who were like the children of the dusk god, which sounds kind of similar to azem's deal as an ascian who is the embodiment of light.

if you talk to Urianger in the Rising Stones between 5.3 and 5.4 he mentions the similarity between Azem, Azim, and Azeyma as being pretty interesting but it's hard to say for certain if they're related

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

He also had the same glowing eyes that the people who got Gunnhildr'd after CLL.

didn't cid's dad have the same glowing eyes in the memory thing? from being tempered by bahamut?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like to imagine my WoL trying to come to terms with the whole Azem thing and what it could mean and him just having this ever-increasing look of dismay on his face at the realization that yes. he's always been like this.

edit: "you do side quests." "...oh my god."

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the azem stuff is rad as hell and i can't wait for more of it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

theres a joke here about organizing things alphabetically but i cant get to it

Aemz

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Clearly Gerolt's blacksmithing spirit is so strong that it has radiated throughout the world and years. In every generation a new Gerolt is born and in every shard as well, the unified spirit of Blacksmithing they share granting untold blacksmithing power. There is even a Void Gerolt who is the one who makes all the weird goofy void weapons you see Voidsent using. He looks exactly the same except he wears spikey pants.

the Oracle of Smithing

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The Astral/Umbral dissociation from English was a conscious choice by the developers. Umbral has always been stagnant (Umbral Ice buff) and associated with white magic (Holy stun). Urianger made a big deal about it when he explained it in Shadowbringers as well.

umbral being stagnant and astral being active is only how it's been known on the First - on Eorzea, prior to ShB, umbral meant chaos, and astral meant order. see: Umbral Calamities (chaotic disaster) and Astral Eras (peace and prosperity) that follow them. Urianger mentions in ShB that they might've had it backwards the whole time.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

The guy you meet if you did the Gunbreaker quests showing up is pretty cool. I liked that a lot.

i was wondering who that guy was. he seems cool

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

did they ever say why the 3 weren't sundered?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys

estinien is just so god drat cool

edit: whoops i thought this was the main thread, cause of all the spoiler bars

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ok can someone who played nier or drakengard explain why the last boss of the raid has trains

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Back in Drakengard the final boss of Ending E opens up a rift and goes to modern-day Tokyo, with Caim and Angelus following. You then fight a rhythm battle (you may have heard some out of place bells or had other raiders saying "I. Hear. A. Sound") to beat it. Then during your victory lap two fighter jets blow you up.

Basically the whole boss was to trigger PTSD in people who actually played that game.

yeah i knew about all this stuff i just didn't know if there was a reason the boss of the nier raid specifically summoned trains, and had dialogue acting like she was a glitchy train station announcer or something

i never even played those games (just watched videos on youtube) and i'm reading way too much into it lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also Alfonse being fused into the big silver robot was just one big FMA reference wasn't it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

13/14's gonna be good enough, or maybe Zodiark can fix the rest once he breaks free. They're not gonna say "welp, one's lost. Time to give up."

Eden and the First isn't really a good example of the Flood of Darkness though. The scale of devastation on the Thirteenth is well beyond the First, and at least on the First all the aether is still there and somewhat usable.

yeah thawing out something frozen (metaphysically, via light aether stagnation) is probably quite a bit easier than putting something back together that's been in a blender for a while (metaphysically, via darkness aether chaos)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

multijoe posted:

No one is ever going to smirk at Urianger

i smirk at him all the time

actually its just a big smile because he's my favorite

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Urianger's problem is that he'd just found his place as the Scions' resident endearingly dorky nerd, and then a much more archetypal endearingly dorky nerd joined the team.

yeah but urianger is taller

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dragoon 2: Insect Glaive

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah sorry kid but we all love Emet Selch

https://twitter.com/zucchini_loaf/status/1388751492782252039?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008