Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We don't know if that's necessary. It's just speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

jokes posted:

Like 8 pages ago they talked about how Zodiark and Hydaelyn aren’t evil and that got me thinking. Who actually is evil in FFXIV? Gaius is/was a misguided fascist making amends, he’s close. Zenos is so aloof the concept of villainy doesn’t even enter his brain, enough he might not be considered an actual person. Nidhogg is also a misguided dude, but is seeking revenge against innocents for a justifiably heinous sleight. Even the progenitors of Ishgard who stole the dragons’ eyes probably had a solid, justifiable, and understandable reason to be assholes. Probably something about a Cold War with dragons if their alliance ever shifted so they needed to be prepared.

Then I realize, the only truly evil and heinous dude was the usurious capitalist in the first samurai job quests that was trying to rape that girl.

Gaius? Willing and preparing to genocide beast tribes. Evil.
Zenos? Just basic evil. Comically so.
Nidhogg? Attempting to genocide an entire civilization in retaliation for something that happened hundreds of generations prior. Evil.
King Thordan the First and his knights? Murdered a friend and ally out of cold blood and for power. Evil.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 14, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think anyone in game is evil just for the enjoyment of it, except maybe Zenos.

But other than him, the other characters have motivations, and hell, even positive qualities. But promoting genocide and the like I think still fully puts one into the evil circle.

Maybe the other Garleans don't mind due to their perspective? But I'm pretty confident in saying nah, that's evil. There's no grey area there.

jokes posted:

Which is more a question of relative morality because to him he was betrayed yesterday. Midgardsormr was like "I mean, yeah, but also gently caress that dude" which resolved that question I guess.

Even then, he's punishing people only tangentially related to the initial crime. If he murdered a generation of Ishgardians and hosed off? Justice was served I guess. Instead he's still out there waging war on people that don't even know the crime that was committed. Just because Nidhogg lives so much longer, and still carries that grief, in no way excuses him from murdering more people completely innocent in the situation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He knows about the Ascians guiding things, but I don't think he knows Solus was a meat puppet being driven around by an Ascian.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I could do with an FFXIV remake of Zeromus's theme.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

Sometime last year I put a bunch of XIV villains onto the old-school D&D alignment grid (which I think is awful, but it helped me make my point to tabletop nerds) to show the breadth of villains the game's got, and a lot of those 'evil secondary antagonists' are the real the game's got just a TON of Lawful Evil bad guys. XIV really loves its assholes who know how to play politics.

My point, as an aside, was that the slate's so wide that there's villains for every single alignment, including the Good ones. I had Ramuh as Neutral Good (wise enough to know what he has to do for the greater good, but essentially willing to just inform someone else and let them make the decision), and Ilberd as Chaotic Good (terrible shitbird who's doing horrible things we don't understand until it's too late, but all for a noble goal that ended up being for the best). Lawful Good could be either Alexander or Thordan depending on how you define that particular alignment, with the other ending up Lawful Neutral.

D&D alignment charts are half meaningless, like you point out, but there's nothing good about Ilberd. By the time he was enacting his plan, he cared nothing about Ala Mhigo or Eorzea; he wanted everyone to suffer like he did in a new calamity.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Emet-Selch was responsible for Allag.

Whether he had anything to do with second gen Allag resurrecting Xande and going on a warpath is unknown, but he might have been poking Amon in that direction.

I don't think the Ascians have much love for the dragons. They're probably just seen as useful tools if anything.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just to be pedantic, Midgardsomr's world is still there, just rendered uninhabitable to some extent. Ishgardian Astrologians use it to predict the movements of the dravanian horde.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Pretty sure that was just Omega, or at the very least the war against it left it that way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quote:

Yet immutable as the laws He has woven may seem, they will not serve to forestall our doom.

quote:

Yet it is plain they will not countenance a permanent solution.

Seems pretty clear they don't think Zodiark's rewriting the laws of reality are enough of a solution, and they're not permanent. They don't say anything about Zodiark being worse, or Zodiark leading to new problems.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sinteres posted:

When has it ever been suggested that Hydaelyn did anything other than counter Zodiark though? And the sundering of course, but I always wondered if that was actually the cost of summoning her and not just a side effect of her battle with Zodiark.

The sundering fundamentally changed existence, likely far more than Zodiark's work did. It probably goes well beyond just defeating Zodiark and more into a long term solution for life.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
gently caress Gaius tbh. The thing he loves is destroying the thing he loves, and that's the best result for an unrepentant fascist.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't really care what he believes of his empire. They left their subjugated neighbors in ruins, and have gone far past securing a safe and prosperous position for his native people. Nobody's blaming them for defending themselves, but what they've done past is inexcusable and he has no remorse for it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't mean to imply you were, but he still does, even after all the destruction the empire wrought, Gaius still sees it as right. He has some personal grief about his children dieing. It's not because he and the system he worked for turned them into zealots for their cause; just the loss of a child. And he's angry that the Ascians were manipulating the empire. He doesn't care what the Ascians made them do, merely that it wasn't a Garlean on top, because he's more or less fine with their deeds and directions.

I don't see any attempt at remorse or repentance in his character. He's still a imperialist fascist; just one that currently shares a common cause with us.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Chillgamesh posted:

This could get really :can: really fast if we compare them to real life groups, so I'd like to avoid that. What I will say is that wasn't it the Meracydians who drove them to Ilsabard, and Emet-Selch who introduced them to Magitek? While the Empire may have been good to an average Garlean, that person would have died centuries prior to the game's setting. They're just supremacists at this point.

I don't think it was the Meracydians. I don't know their timeline perfectly, but Garleans would have originated in Othard / the Far East, in ancient Ivalice. They were driven northward by the other Othardian and Ilsabardian countries. I'm not sure there was much contact at all with Meracydia until the second age of the Allagans came about. Entire eras in the past either way.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 4, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ivalice was probably post 4th calamity, or contemporary with early Allag. I don't think there's a definitive answer on their exact timeline. Either way, I don't think it really affects either of them all that much. It just probably wasn't the Meracydians that pushed them up north into the current Garlean homeland.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. This thread should be open season, no spoiler tags.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

no, the story has sided with the fascist even more-or-less directly after they murdered someone on our side).

Is this something else you've made up or misread?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

Regulus and Ysayle. It's hard to determine exactly how much time is 'supposed' to have passed between him killing her and the Warring Triad storyline where he's on our side, but in terms of his screentime, he gets basically no space between those points to either continue being an antagonist or to endear us to him otherwise.

The story never sided with Regulus. He saw his folly at the end and died. He was still as much an antagonist as Gaius.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Regulus is from heavensward, in Azys Lla, and in the Warring Triad quests. He dies fighting Zurvan.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Gaius thinks the genocide of anyone that summons primals is A-OK. At the time it was only beast tribes, but we know that's not the case.

He'd prefer to subjugate and indoctrinate, but death is fine for the rest.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nidhogg and Yotsuyu are both evil for evil’s sake.

In Nidhogg’s case, everyone even slightly responsible for the death of his sister are dead. Their children are dead. Their children are dead. Their children are dead. He’s just killing innocent people with nothing to do with it, and had been for generations.

Yotsuyu is just obsessed with Doma’s suffering. Nobody in Isari had anything to do with her life, or have any influence on the way Doma had been or is currently run. Yet she still goes to town and will kill and torture peasants. She just wants people to suffer.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yes they are. Any perceived justice is long gone. Nidhogg has no other reason to perpetuate the war, and Yotsuyu is just bullying the weakest members of society.

Compare this to the others. Gaius truly believes he's bringing good into the lives and society of the others. The Ascians are trying to restore their home.

Neither Nidhogg or especially Yotsuyu have any notions of justice or good in their actions. They know, as much as Nidhogg has the capacity for rationality, that what they're doing is wrong.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 6, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cock hero flux posted:

Both of them are seeking revenge. Justified revenge, even, but they've expanded their scope beyond the people who individually wronged them to include their entire countries and in doing so ended up hurting countless people who were completely innocent and undeserving. In Nidhogg's case I think he's genuinely unable to understand or accept that the revenge he's obsessed with obtaining is conceptually impossible. I don't think he's at all rational about it, and in his immortal mindset he seems to believe that all of his actions are completely justified. In Yotsuyu's case she seems to understand that what she's doing is evil, and she doesn't care. She's beyond anything but hating people and wanting them to suffer.

I can concede Nidhogg at this point because his mind is so far gone, but

quote:

She's beyond anything but hating people and wanting them to suffer.

is pretty textbook for evil's sake.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nobody is expected to kill peasants for no reason in Zenos's Ala Mhigo. And I doubt Zenos cares at all what she does to them. She's taking out (her legitimate grievances) on completely unrelated people that basically border on her situation. And enjoys it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Completely unrelated people?" One of the characters you encounter in Doma is specifically Yotsuyu's former pimp, specifically to drive home the narrative point that a revolutionary state does not emerge from a vacuum but is built on the pieces of the old, and deciding that you are working towards liberation does not absolve you of your previous sins.

Yotsuyu has a more sophisticated understanding of systemic oppression than some folks who think it's just a few bad apples and if you only attack specific individuals then it's ok and you can solve the problem that way. That's not what makes her evil, it's that she replaces the systemic oppression with more of it, just with her as the oppressor

Yeah, but that pimp wasn't a starving fisherman in some backwater village. The fact a prominent member of society like that is still alive by the time the revolution came about shows she didn't much care to take revenge against the people and institutions that wronged her. Nor is she interested in doing anything regarding systematic oppression. She just wants to cause people to suffer. And yes, she's doing it to survive, as ImpAtom is saying; but she's doing it also because she enjoys it.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 6, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CYBEReris posted:

Yeah let's not forget that Hraesvelgr may not have bloodied his own hands but when he had the choice to deny his brother vengeance he instead became complicit by surrendering his own eye

I don't think his choice was that easy. He could have denied Nidhogg his vengeance by denying the eye, but Nidhogg would have died. It was more the choice of saving his brother's life at that moment, especially that shortly after the death of his sister. And Nidhogg's revenge was still, I'd say, legitimate at the time

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That would be great. He gets a big arc. 5.3 comes around and he gets a new life and uniform. 5.4 comes around and he gets Haurchefaunted.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

DON'T YOU DARE PUT THIS OUT INTO THE WORLD

Yeah I’m not ready for any of the cast to die. I can’t see it happening.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hah, I never even made that connection.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Badger of Basra posted:

So the cutscene where Ryne calls her Gaia and Mitron says to not to dare use that name but if you must call her something use the name her parents gave her. Does that mean every Ascian has three names?

Gaia has a name her biological parents in Eulmore gave her, and we don't know what that it. Loghrif is her convocation title, like Emet Selch, and Gaia is her true name, like Hades.

All of the sundered would have three names for similar reasons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Next time someone's doing the new dungeon, you should look around the final boss arena and check out the detailing on the book shelves.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Darth Walrus posted:

How does the Eden's Promise 1 mechanic with the tethers and the circles of gunk work? I always eat vuln stacks from that.

I think the vine is like Titania’s, where you have to run a certain distance before it breaks. If you run away when it’s just the line tether, you can get so far away you don’t have the necessary distance to get that range. I always get close when it’s the tether and then the vine snaps easy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FeatherFloat posted:

Fancy Dan being a world-ending nihilist is sort of unusual, if you stop and think about it for a moment? I mean, he's an Ascian, and Ascians should be tempered by Zodiark, and should probably not want to just end everything? And he has apparently not been on board with his superior's plans for a while now. What the hell is up with him to make him your standard Final Fantasy "gently caress reality and everyone in it, including me" baddie?

Dan was sundered, and had his memories implanted into a new host body. There's no real indication that tempering his OG body/soul would persist past death.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, he's sundered. But Mitron seems more invested with his memories of Loghrif, and sharing their lives together again. The rejoining would help with that.

I think for the most part, getting a bunch of memories of when you were an powerful immortal living in some ancient utopia would be all the motivation a sundered ascian needs to strive for the rejoining. Kinda seems like the implanted memories overwrite the host's as well, making that strive even more unimpeded.

I'd theorize that the soul gets reset / rebalanced whenever it's reused from the lifestream. Otherwise you'd have all sorts of weird stuff happening like people being born tempered in Eorzea. And part of this patch was using memories as a tool to cleanse tempering, if the soul was clean, the memories should keep them at a stable, untempered spot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah there's definitely some base identity retained in the soul. We could use Azem's stone. Ardbert was recognized as part of the same soul. And Mitron could still recognize Loghrif despite being reborn.

There seems to be some amount of personality retained, too. Azem, Ardbert, and the WoL are all known for travelling and forming bonds and groups. Mitron said Loghrif was always forgetful.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One of the big 2.x revelations was that the main Ascians at the time, like Lahabrea, pull themselves back together if their soul is intact; killing their body is a minor inconvenience since they could just echo away and either take a new one, or just reform it. Thordan destroyed Lahabrea's soul, and we did the same of Emet-Selch. Elidibus's was a snack for the Crystal Tower. Nabriales and Igeyohrm had to be locked in place with white auracite, just so we could hit them with Tupsimati and an Eye of Nidhogg respectively, to destroy that shard of their soul.

It still takes a big hit to take out a convocation member, a bigger one still to take out an Ascian prime.

Mitron/Loghrif got smashed up. Loghrif's body died, but her soul didn't. Mitron's body absorbed all that light aether, and became Eden.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 9, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

I got the impression Gaia/Loghrif properly died when Ardbert gibbed her and Loghrif, it's just soul memories linger between incarnations.

Physically Gaia died, but if her soul was destroyed like with the rest of them, there wouldn't be a Gaia soul fragment in a new life on the First.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

That's what I'm not sure about. I don't think you can Cessation of Existence a soul, you can just kill it hard enough it gets fed back into the reincarnation cycle

This was an explicit point in the 2.x / 3.x Ascian kills. An Ascian soul in the lifestream can reform itself, and they needed to be irreparably destroyed to finally deal with them. Hence containing their aether in the white auracite, and then destroying it with something well beyond the WoL at the time - Tupsimati or an Eye of Nidhogg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

I recall that, yes, but as noted Emet clearly exists as an entity post true death in the Lifestream.

Does he? His little parting gift may have just been a farewell imprinted into the stone. I don't think there's anything showing any part of Emet-Selch still exists as an intact, or even a collection sundered souls. And the particle effects when he dies are unconvincing.