Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
From the normal thread:

Sanguinia posted:

Side note, I was cleaning out my old screencaps today to make it easier to find the more current content while I'm blogging, and I noticed some stuff I'd completely forgotten about that fight fight against the Ascian mage with Thancred: 1) that Thancred had actually mentioned the term Ascian to me at the time, and he referred to them as "Bringers of Chaos," 2) that when I killed the Ascian he said something about the Wisdom of THE PARAGONS being brought low. When I fought Ifrit he said that it was the Paragons that had warned him about "godless divinity," like myself and that we needed to be killed on sight, and at the time I thought it was a totally new term, but now I know that whatever they are they are linked to these robed bastards and their plans, and 3) when I fought the guy he summoned some kind of demon creature.

Given what we know now about the art of creation, this guy's just being absurdly overdramatic, right? Though considering he gets brought low by a level 14 WoL maybe he's just bad at his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zutaten posted:

Regular Ascians are residents of Amaurot/the other nameless city they mention/people from the Complete World, that a Convocation member (just Unsundered?) awoke and recruited right? And the mark of being one of those souls is the Echo? I know they use the constellation stones to awaken the Convocation shards (which would imply they each originally had 14 "lives" or one-ups or whatever?) but how do they recruit regular Ascians? Could Lahabrea have rolled up to Arenvald or Krile and did some magic nonsense and tossed them a mask and a robe?

I should new game plus ARR...

From what I remember, the red-masked ones are convocation members (all of whom are sundered except for the big three). The black-masked ones like that guy (I was confused about that because the sigil makes it look red) are just randos that got ascended. Presumably they can do that for anyone since everyone is some kind of sundered ancient, but I'm not sure how far that goes. Since the beast tribes are found across worlds they're presumably sundered too, but I don't know if that means the ascians can do the same kind of spooky magic to them since they're a different species. Or maybe the beast tribes are sunderings of Amaroutine furries.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like to think the minor ascians aren’t actually intentionally jobbing to the WoL and were genuinely trying their best. So the big ascians were more like “oh yeah, you can totally take them out, this is your moment! *snirk*”

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The ixal going and accidentally making everyone think dalamud is happening again

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
In regards to off-world entities like Omega and the dragons, what exactly does it mean for them to travel to our sundered planet? Was the entire universe sundered too or just our planet? And if the latter, how the heck does that work spatially when other planets are involved since you'd have 14 shards occupying the same place but only one dragon planet.

It's possible I'm forgetting a mention that The First has different stars than ours which would indicate an alternate universe.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Right after Paglth'an, how are the Amalj'aa allying with Ul'dah? I thought they were still tempered and against everyone else, but I might be unsure how prolific the Angelo squad were. Were the untempered Amalj'aa still hostile until we proved we were good eggs by taking out Lunar Bahamut?

I also wonder if they're going to do something with all the beast tribe questlines since almost all of them pit the good groups against the hostile tempered ones, and for some like the sahagin they can't just handwave "but THESE ones are still hostile and irreversibly tempered". Wonder if it's just gonna be a CUL questline situation where it's about making the Sultana's dinner even while she's presumed dead.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 3, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I would call it... the artist Alphinaud and his assistants!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

I don't think anyone has ever died from falling in a Final Fantasy game

If a Disney Villain ever crossed over into the Final Fantasy universe they would be unstoppable.

Though I guess in practice that combo didn't work out that way.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

Emperor Gestalh.

Also Shadow if you leave him behind

No Shadow survived the fall and appears again in Sonic Heroes. They never really explain how he survived falling from space, though.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vitamean posted:

speaking of, I wonder if they had plans for grenoldt that got swept away for one reason or another. I get that mechanically he's there to gear you up within striking distance of the end but I was hoping he's pop up in some side content.

If the EW relic doesn't involve Grenoldt and Gerolt teaming up Square hosed up.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

The final fight is just a space giant the size of the planet and that is actually just the giant's scabbard.

I've often thought "oh man how sick would an Asura's Wrath trial series be" and then I remember that it's Capcom, not Squeenix.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

GoingPostal posted:

Same. A non-evil Ascian would be a refreshing change of pace. Bonus points if its the real Hythlodeus.

Gaia, sort of!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The FF Maximilian Pegasus responsible for all the TT cards just has a very strong premonition echo and uses it to design for a card game instead of anything more useful.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

megalodong posted:

this is a point lots of people seem to miss.

Like the "community cohesion" sidequest, the patronising amaurotine says this:

It's not that you made your own clothing and expressed your individuality that's considered bad.

It's that, from their perspective, you made your own clothing and then kept the concept entirely to yourself (since you're the only person dressed that way) out of a desire to be unique, thereby preventing others from benefiting from your creation, as opposed to sharing the concept with everyone else for the benefit of all.

It turns out everyone wears the same robes because they're profoundly comfortable and any other concepts they try just pale in comparison.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The First's G'raha basically did to the Source G'raha what Ardbert did to the WoL. They're not dead, but you can't really say they're alive either.

Also I like to imagine that the WoL has always canonically had help for all the dungeons & trials. It feels way more thematically appropriate for how outgoing they are. It gives a good explanation for why Zenos kicked our rear end, too. That might just be me roleplaying though :v:

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 4, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I do kind of get Cleretic's disappointment that the lightwardens weren't the true bad guys because evil angels are a hell of a good aesthetic. Mt. Gulg and Innocence at least sated me well enough. The Amaurot dungeon's trash being partly made up of the same voidsent we've seen before is the real issue, though, since The End of Days really ought to be made of really unthinkably horrific things. I hope they design trash mobs that are as freakish as the bosses were.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I'm still annoyed that Vauthry turned sexy. I'd have gone for one of the weirder angels if he had to have a transformation.

I was also bummed by that. It feels so spiteful to use so many "fat evil" tropes with Vauthry and then not even give the courtesy of making his cool transformation fat too. Thankfully Dulia-Chai is pretty great for chubby character representation.

quote:

But yeah, this is the main thing. Evil angels were rad as hell, Innocence is a pretty good escalation of that, but I was hoping we'd go higher. After all, no Megaten game calls it a day after having you fight Gabriel. Dungeon Amaurot, meanwhile... Therion is neat, a lot of the others just amount to 'really, that's it', especially when the sin eaters were serving up an A-game.

Therion gives me hope. That design is frickin wild, and it's not angelic or demonic so it's clearly something very alien. I'm guessing we're gonna find out what the Noise was and that'll make it clearer what to compare these things to.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 4, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

Also, his wings are swords

I will give Innocence that that casual wrist flick summoning the swords is an unbelievably sick animation.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Are Summoners really going to have to wait until level 90 to get the actual summons? I feel like there's no way that's right, they seem too important to the job now to put off that long.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

It is. They all had level 90 during the live letter tooltips.

What on Earth is that levelling experience gonna be like I wonder.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

Still figuring out how summoner works now, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

You still get the egis at their old levels, but you summon them temporarily in place of the proper summons until level 90. They give you access to the elementally aspected abilities they showed off in the live letter. It works the same way with DWT and Bahamut, you get a weaker version first and then the full version later on.

They all work a little differently. They each last 30 seconds, and the new skill that recharges your ability to summon them is once every minute, so you can stick with two of them if you want, you don't have to go through all three.

Really excited to try it out, but it looks like it has a lot going on!

It also looks like Ifrit's best at single target, Garuda's best at multiple, and Titan's in-between, so we're going to go from never seeing Titan-egi to seeing him more than the other two.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Allarion posted:

Actually, I completely missed how Titan works, so my theorycrafting is long off. Titan doesn’t machine gun in the same way as Garuda, but it generates its own Ogcd to weave so it might end up the stronger one outta the two in certain circumstances. Summoner is very flexible!

It looks really sick. Even if SMN ends up with few buttons compared to other jobs it'll still be fun to play because the bread and butter combo keeps changing dramatically.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/Larryzaur/status/1448485399953805315

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Or how in ARR and HW, people who want to go to war with Garlemald are treated as warmongers and should be stopped, but then from Stormblood marching on Garlemald is treated as the righteous thing to do and people who want to hold back are treated as incapable of doing what needs to be done. And so on.

I thought this was one of the most interesting turns the story made, personally. No one was willing to invade Garlean-occupied Ala Mhigo; even Raubahn, who dreamed of liberating the country, was hesitant. The alliance needed to be forced into it, and as morally reprehensible as Ilberd's plan was... it worked. Ala Mhigo was ultimately liberated, and his actions are what got the ball rolling. There were doubtlessly far less tragic ways to spark off the revolution, but Ilberd took action when nobody else was willing to - not even the WoL.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm misremembering, but was Zodiark/Hydalyn tempering everyone actually confirmed? I remember Emet being asked that and he goes "hm, maybe, that'd explain a lot" but not going more concrete than that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

This edible ain't poo poo

*Thirty minutes later*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxR97bgF-Q

I Shoulda Never Smoke That poo poo Now Im At The End of Days

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The post Zodiark saga is going to be all the pigs we stuffed with aether becoming powerful enough to take over the world

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

what if we ride bismarck to the moon and get a sick party duty out of it where we're beating the gently caress out of radiation and rocks and ice

First Bismarck gets their own trial because he gets pissed off we keep waking him up.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jetrauben posted:

Well that'd be really interesting.

Certainly creates a fundamentally new world with a vast diversity of societies, and makes me wonder whether the Void and First will be incorporated.

The first would have to be incorporated just to avoid removing access to all those expansion areas. So Norvrandt would still be around, but it’d change into being just another continent on the source, which would be pretty wild. I doubt it’d happen but that would make all those areas easier to incorporate into future content...

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

yea considering the shot of the WoL looking kinda hosed up on the throne with Zenos monologuing at him I wouldn't be shocked if before we got to the moon there was some 'all is lost' moment where it seems Zenos finally got the upper hand on us and we're in genuine danger and the pov switches to our Scion buddies coming to save us like in the finale of 5.55

Yeah it's going to be like the ending of Space Channel 5, AKA one of the best finales in gaming history.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/northgalis/status/1415251062680809475
https://twitter.com/northgalis/status/1415268986925686792

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

I like the "the realms are rejoined in that they're all in the same dimension, so it's easier to travel between them physically" idea for this reason.

That way you don't invalidate the Eden stuff, and there's now the additional problem of the evil demon dimension existing in real space, possibly leading to an invasion of some sort!

The motivation to go to Meracydia in the future expansion is so that we can help establish an interplanetary dragon taxi service.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chillgamesh posted:

RE: That dungeon looking like Memoria

If we get a Soken arrangement of You're Not Alone I'm gonna lose my poo poo

drat it would be appropriate to do a take on that whole sequence for the finale of the scions' story, huh. Though who knows what the heck could give the WoL a crisis of conscious like Zidane had.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
We’ve already discussed this and concluded that the tower is full of swords being scraped against rocks.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmao at Lyon's son

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The open spoilers on Zenos coming back to life actually got me pretty good because I assumed Elidibus possessing his body was what people were talking about, so Zenos getting his body back for real was actually a surprise. Yes I did not make the in-hindsight-obvious assumption that the mystery swordsman was Zenos.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What makes Sephiroth interesting to me is that in a way he’s a deconstruction of the megalomaniacal villain trope; he gets his big call to villainy but then, before he can really get started, he gets unexpectedly killed by a total nobody. And sure, his alien mom keeps puppeting his reincarnated body around after that but it’s the trauma he left on Cloud that drives the emotional story beats. Cloud is what makes Sephiroth work.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sign me up for Cleretic’s failure Zenos plotpoint, that’d be neat. Like it wouldn’t just be a “psyke! We made the payoff unsatisfying as a twist!” thing because he’d definitely have a Griffith-level megabreakdown about it, considering it’s his only reason for living.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've never been bothered by power levels because the MMO format itself discourages it. You need a group of other adventurers to take on every single proper threat, and if they weren't there you'd get your rear end kicked (apart from unsynced duties but those are noncanon). Even though the story mostly credits your WoL alone for all those deeds, I know the truth of it, and that keeps me humbled enough that I don't crave ever-increasing stakes.

It makes me feel like a jackass to say it demonstrates one of the strengths of collectivism vs individualism but I can't help but think that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Valentin posted:

I will say that the one thing that makes killing our silent protagonist even faintly plausible is that that literally happens in one of the games that's clearly a visual inspiration for at least part of Endwalker. You just need the Scions to, uh, find a WoL dummy somewhere (make Godbert make one) and do some sick time-traveling to bring us back to life. 2 hour long RP duty, easy.

The WoL goes to kick a blitzball and it blows up, sending their severed head flying into Yshtola's arms.