Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol that they gave the G-Warrior Trans-Am and a fin funnel barrier. They really went all in with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you read the logs you find in Nier raids? I've forgotten.

On a related note, Okabe brought his A-game for the music. I don't know what he mixed The Maker's Ruin with, but it was rad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nibble posted:

I realized he makes a good match for Zenos in that way. Zenos killed his own dad so he didn’t have to be burdened by his birthright and could be free to do whatever. Fandaniel couldn’t do it himself, but with the big three gone he’s happy to be free of the Zodiark mission.

As I've said before in the main thread, they're also the natural consequences of the unsundered Ascians' schemes. They may have been spreading chaos and death for a noble cause, but they were still spreading chaos and death, and as the millennia went by and their original cause faded away, the carnage that they left behind became their only real legacy. Zenos and Fandaniel are the ideal citizens of the world they created. They can't be nuanced and human like the unsundered, because the unsundered spent generation after generation stripping nuance and humanity away from the world until all that's left is murderous hedonism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If you talk to Y'shtola after the story is over (she's in the nursery with Urianger), she speculates that, since the Crystal Tower is technically G'raha's territory, it's probably not fair to call him Tia anymore.

I have no idea how he'd react if the WOL ever calls him G'raha Nunh.

Chillgamesh posted:

Zenos yae Galvus is probably the the biggest misnomer in the game, because not once has anyone looked at Zenos and said "yay"

I mean, Asahi did. Didn't exactly work out for him, but he definitely liked 'em tall, blond, and sociopathic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, Zenos is just the inevitable consequence of the Ascians' mission once it loses its guiding ideology. We need a simple monster as payoff for the complex, nuanced, and human villains' terrible, futile ambitions. He's their new Amaurot as it really exists, and now everyone has to live with that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

YES bread posted:

everyone is so sick of villains with understandable motivations and tragic backstories. "please" theyre crying out, "just let me bunch a dude in a nazi uniform!!!"

lol if you think 'I really enjoy hurting people because my culture and social class selects for nihilistic sadism' is a difficult motivation to wrap your brain around in 2020.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, primals aren't natural forces, they're summoned magical constructs shaped by the desires of their summoners. If Hydaelyn goes poof, it does no meaningful damage to anything except that it leaves the planet without its most powerful protector - and primals, given their immense aether drain, were never the most effective protectors anyway. Hydaelyn is definitely going to want to be destroyed once Zodiark is gone, and to fight us in order to make sure we can do her job once she's gone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I was afraid they went too hard too quick with the Weight of the World remix in the first raid. The only way to top that would be Emil (Despair)

Remixes of Emil (Despair) and A Beautiful Song in the same raid would be incredible. Especially if they also bring back Weight of the World in a boss phase. Like, that might seem overly ambitious, but Dun Scaith has a similarly insane concentration of good music.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gaius specifically said during his time as Shadowhunter that what he wanted to do was talk to Varis and find out whether the Garlean Empire really was just an Ascian machine for creating death and chaos. He doesn't know it, but he's aware of the possibility and open-minded about it, and the Weapon storyline is really hammering in that he and his country were a blight upon Hydaelyn. He's definitely in the middle of an extremely painful redemption arc, which will likely culminate in him saving one or more of his kids in a grand, public act of defiance against the Empire. An endgame with Maxima as the new leader of Garlemald and Gaius as his retired military advisor seems likely.

Fandaniel, Asahi, Teledji, and Yuyuhase seem to make up a recurring subgenre of evil-evil secondary antagonists who are just cruel, greedy assholes. Zenos is Trump-evil - he has his reasons for being who he is, but they mainly build understanding rather than sympathy. He's just a spoiled fascist brat with a violence addiction. Some folks do be like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of music, have we talked about the lyrics to To the Edge? They're pretty :smith:.

quote:

All our splendour bathed black in silence
Our surrender a sombre reverie

Slowly drifting down into twilight
Left to sifting through faded memories

Know our places, for worth is wordless
Evanescent, this writing on the wall

Brother stay this descent to madness
Come and save us. Catch us before we fall

Like broken angels, wingless, cast from heavens' gates
(Our slumb'ring demons awake)

We only fly when falling, falling far from grace
(Hell take us, heaven can wait)

Our lives a message in a bottle cast to sea
(Disgrace untold and unseen)

Quick to their ends, our candles burn until we're free

In monochrome melodies
Our tears are painted in red
(Bleeding to the edge)
Deep inside we're nothing more
Than scions and sinners
In the rain
Do light and darkness fade

Yes, time circles endlessly
The hands of fate trained ahead
(Pointing to the edge)
All things change, drawn to the flame
To rise from the ashes.
To begin
We first must see the end

Rock of ages, we cast the first stone
In our cages, we know not what we do

Indecision here at the crossroads
Recognition, tomorrow's come too soon

Follow blindly like lambs to slaughter
At the mercy of those who ply the sword

As our song wends dead underwater
We're forgotten for now and evermore

Without a compass wand'ring lost in lies of faith
(Faith slowly wasting away)

Only alive in fighting Death's amber embrace
(Our hearts beat loud, unafraid)

On Hands and knees we pray to gods we've never seen
(Come shadow, come follow me)

The final hour upon us, no more time to breathe

In monochrome melodies
Our tears are painted in red
(Bleeding to the edge)
Deep inside we're nothing more
Than scions and sinners
In the rain
Do light and darkness fade

Yes, time circles endlessly
The hands of fate trained ahead
(Pointing to the edge)
All things change, drawn to the flame
To rise from the ashes.
To begin
We first must see the end

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Sometime last year I put a bunch of XIV villains onto the old-school D&D alignment grid (which I think is awful, but it helped me make my point to tabletop nerds) to show the breadth of villains the game's got, and a lot of those 'evil secondary antagonists' are the real the game's got just a TON of Lawful Evil bad guys. XIV really loves its assholes who know how to play politics.

My point, as an aside, was that the slate's so wide that there's villains for every single alignment, including the Good ones. I had Ramuh as Neutral Good (wise enough to know what he has to do for the greater good, but essentially willing to just inform someone else and let them make the decision), and Ilberd as Chaotic Good (terrible shitbird who's doing horrible things we don't understand until it's too late, but all for a noble goal that ended up being for the best). Lawful Good could be either Alexander or Thordan depending on how you define that particular alignment, with the other ending up Lawful Neutral.

Alex is nice enough, but Thordan just wants to be an eternal superpowered magical dictator. He's not as monstrous as some other villains, but there's little to actually recommend him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

I think the angle they're pushing for Zenos is that constantly witnessing the apocalypse in a society that rarely if ever meaningfully challenges him on his worst impulses has broken his brain and he's numb to everything except the pain he inflicts and that others inflict on him and embraces nihilism out of a belief that nothing he could do would matter.

So, a spoiled fascist brat who keeps getting recommended guro by the YouTube algorithm? Still not exactly the most heart-rending backstory in the game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do think it's an inevitability that 6.0 will feature us facing down a Garlean primal. We've pushed them too hard and shaken their sense of self-worth too hard for any other outcome. Yeah, I know they don't have magic, but they're getting better and better at finding creative/horrifying solutions to that little problem.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hydaelyn's probably going to want to fight us simply because she's the most powerful being on the planet (remember that she punked Zodiark), and she wants to make sure the mortals seeking to replace her will be capable of doing her job and keeping the world safe. Like, there's plenty of reasons for a boss-fight against Hydaelyn even if she remains a wholly benevolent, trustworthy being. As Ramuh and Alexander can attest, it wouldn't be the first time we've fought and killed a nice primal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like we should have a Livia Oversoul simply because of how incredibly uncomfortable it would be for Gaius.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

multijoe posted:

I don't think even her biggest stans have ever called Yotsuyu 'morally grey' (amnesia arc not withstanding)

There's a reasonable argument that she ends the story in a grey area. She's bitter, vengeful, and destructive after getting her memories back, and she does turn into one of the most dangerous beings of Eorzea to pick a fight with us, but she honestly seems to want to give her country a monster to slay as a happy ending, and doesn't kill or permanently injure anyone who doesn't deserve it.

As for G'raha, only Miqo'te men have lower faces shaped like that. That significantly narrowed down the possibilities.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Er, did you miss the part in Ruby Sea where she tortures and kills whole villages and complains that slaughtering kojin isn't nearly as much fun as killing humans?

I'm talking about what she did after regaining her memories. She acted like the villain she used to be, but it was mostly a theatre performance (and an excuse to kill her awful, awful family).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey now, they're both fourteen. Let's not get weird here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's be real here, though, Eden's Promise was extremely gay. Like, you had an entire final boss phase based around protecting Gaia's memories of going out on dates with her girlfriend. It genuinely felt like the only reason they didn't have them making out at the end like Squall and Rinoa was because they're consistently depicted as early teens rather than late teens, rather than because they happen to be gay, and the whole thing still ended on them going off on a ride for two where you definitely weren't invited.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eox posted:

There hasn't even been a straight on-screen kiss so they have a reasonable excuse to dance around it

And, again, they're both fourteen, so I'd put them on the lower end of the likely priority list for that sort of thing, but it does feel like whenever those two eventually come back into the plot, they're going to have the kind of married-couple energy that's detectable from two shards over.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How does the Eden's Promise 1 mechanic with the tethers and the circles of gunk work? I always eat vuln stacks from that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm assuming that for the Diamond Weapon battle, Allie will be the pilot and Lucia will be the Oversoul? Felt like we were getting some pretty clear misdirection here, and there's no way they'll let a trial battle be Yet Another Zenos Fight when he's alive and kicking as a major MSQ antagonist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that when we did as Ardbert did to Mitron and Loghrif and smacked a senior Ascian with a Blade of Light (Lahabrea at the end of ARR), it didn't permakill him, which is why he came back for Heavensward. Ardbert and his crew honestly did more damage than we did on our first try.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Lahabrea was an Unsundered, though. Nabriales, Igeyohyrm, Mitron and Loghrif were all subjected to the gently caress-off-ghost blade with fatal results.

I can believe that Mitron was another unsundered. Guy seems like he was incredibly powerful, and his kaiju form as Eden is not wholly dissimilar to Hades unleashed. That might be why he survived and Loghrif didn't.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I got the impression that most of their relationship development happened during the timeskip from Eden's Verse to Eden's Promise. They're extremely coupley by the start of EP (well, it can be argued that EP is finally where Ryne figures out that she's got a girlfriend rather than a best friend, but Gaia definitely knows where they stand), and the flashbacks in E12 suggest they've been spending quite a bit of time together.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Also isn't. Midgardsomr snaps that poo poo off like it's nothing.

I mean, it's Midgardsormr. Knowing what we now know about tempering, I see no reason why he couldn't effortlessly remove a dose of that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Anyone seen Ryne and Gaia hanging around in the overworld after the raid series? I haven't seen them and so far presume they're off taking a joyride in the unmapped empty.

I mean, the quest that unlocks EP Savage and serves as an epilogue to the questline ends with Gaia inviting Ryne for a ride on her new mount, which only has two seats so you're not invited. I assume that wherever they are, they're greatly enjoying their privacy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

So you're saying the elevator in the Bulwark Hall has a secret down button that leads to the ancient allagan artifact that'll launch the entire city into the sky while draining all the aether out of vylbrand?

It's the Great Ship Vylbrand now. We gonna get an entire floating island-battleship.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I can't stop thinking about when the scions were like "those floating towers look like Garlean tech!" When like... no they don't. Not even remotely!!! Why did they say that lol

I dunno, they're red and black with smooth metallic panelling rather than the weird quasi-organic poo poo the Mhachis used to use. They're pretty Garlean.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gaius always had a pretty good reason for remaining ignorant of how awful the Empire really was - he was a frontier general and governor a long way away from the capital, and he didn't run things like that. It was very easy for him to believe that he was the norm rather than the exception. Remember that the Garlean Empire, like most historical empires, was really more of a federation of sub-nations, because it's only recently that we've developed the technology and infrastructure to run a country that huge centrally. Regional governors have a lot of freedom in how they interpret their directives from the capital, which is how you get legati like Noah, Gaius, and Nael (Valens, ironically, is pretty much just doing his job as he's supposed to).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 4, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Really the Ultima Weapon isn't a terrible idea on the whole, unless there were weird aether buildup ramifications they didn't touch on or that I cannot recall

It just happens to also be a general-purpose war machine that can get used on anyone.

I do have to wonder if it somehow shields its pilot from Tempering. Seems like a necessity.

The big problem with the Ultima Weapon was that it had a backdoor to let Ascians Gundamjack it, resulting in considerable unintended devastation. So technically, yes, aether buildup was a problem because it let a bunch of genocidal space wizards unleash magical nukes willy-nilly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gruckles posted:

I think Ultima halted the aether drain situation, but kept what the primals had already absorbed trapped. Instead of destroying them and letting their aether dissipate back into the enviornment.

Well, it did let it dissipate into the environment... as a gigantic magical nuke. Hence the 'Ultima' part of 'Ultima Weapon'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Empire having linkpearls and other communication tech doesn't mean that all information on them is trustworthy, freely shared, and freely available, even for regional governors. Does the Garlean Empire really strike you as the sort of place with permissive freedom of speech laws?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It was a big point that the ancients could fuel their creations with their own body's aether. Hydaelyn and Zodiark are charged purely off of what was given through their sacrifices, which is vast amounts more than what the current races can provide.

Hydaelyn is almost running on empty. She's basically too weak to interfere or even communicate much. Plus, Hydaelyn essentially is the soul of the world. It wouldn't make sense to drain aether from herself to herself, but lesser primals could drain aether from her.

Eeeh, I'm not sure that Hydaelyn is Hydaelyn, any more than any other primal is the entity they were modelled on. She's interwoven with the planet, but she isn't actually the planet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

I think you're letting your dislike of Emet-Selch cloud your thinking, because we, as in the human us, aren't aware that time travel is a possibility, because we can't do it, and I'm pretty sure if some person showed up and was like "sup, time travel exists," every single person would be "loving excuse me?"

I'm not sure this is a track that should or could be taken.

That said, small-scale time manipulation magic is common enough in the setting that you might expect a millennia-old archmage to give the occasional thought to upscaling it. We don't live in a world where astrologians exist, for instance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Meiteron posted:

I'm always legit annoyed whenever I see that last enemy design because I know the model it's based on from FFXI and frankly I think the new version is terrible.

XIV wants me to believe that this pretty boy sitting on a stupid ball is supposed to be a lord of the void:

But in XI they were horrific cow skull demons chilling on a floating golden throne:

One of these things is metal enough to be a king of hell and it's not the modern one.

I think the whole point of the most powerful voidsent is that they still look a little bit human, though. They're a big enough deal to assert some of their old personalities amidst the chaos of the Void.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bewilderment posted:

It's referencing the move Crush Punch, later renamed/retranslated to Northswain's Strike.
It's named that because in Chinese mythology there's a being associated with a Northern constellation that's associated with death, and Northswain's Strike has a chance of instant KO.

I have no clue what the original Japanese was, but going by the wiki, the activation quote was translated as:
Original FFT: "The doom of a planet... Crush Punch!"
FF Record Keeper: "The seven ride, their shadow falls. None can escape unyielding fate!"
and then FF14 finally has: "seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path waits death, and death alone."

The reference to 'seven' is specifically to the seven stars of the constellation. Seven lights = seven shadows.

You might better know this constellation as The Big Dipper.

In other words, Agrias and Cid are breaking out some Hokuto Shinken.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As I've said before, I'm pretty sure that we'll fight Hydaelyn for the exact same reason we fight Ramuh - she's a huge, unnecessary aether drain, and she wants to be your final test so you can replace her as guardian of the planet. Option B is that she pulls a Hraesvelgr and uses herself as our combat trainer for the battle against Zodiark.

Her being entirely moral, helpful, and trustworthy in no way prevents her from ending up as a boss battle.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I don't think they'd make us fight Her if they did this; She'd just pass herself onto the WoL like Minifilia did to Ryne. Something extra would have to happen for us to be forced to fight her, like a massive power surge making her go rampant; That's what I think Zenos and Fandaniel are up to.

Again, though, she may very well want to fight us - not out of malice, but to help us learn how to play in her league if we take over her role. I see no reason she wouldn't be up for a final exam.