Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Onmi posted:

Hey, so how many data files did folks find in the Nier Raid Part 2. Because I found 9.

I found 11 myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

To bring this back to ascian ranks, my impression is that there are basically three "tiers" - you had the three unsundered of Emet, Elidibus, and Lahabrea, who survived the sundering of zodiark whole and are largely a continuous existence. They are the ones who are effectively immortal, you've gotta lock em down and hit them with a Blade of Light to fully kill them, because they're a whole and powerful Ancient soul. the sundered ascians are the rest of the original Convocation of 14, who were shattered by Hydaelyn, but the big three were able to more or less put them back together, such as nabriales or drat daniel. They're almost as powerful, and can pull most of the same tricks, but they can't necessarily self-resurrect as easily due to being a shattered soul, which is why Ardbert and company were able to kill the poo poo out of two of them, and if fandaniel's shenanigans are any indication they seem to have more of a connection to their mortal identity and, as a result, potentially more mundane interests. The bottom tier don't even have names, just assigned titles, which leads me to believe that they're just shards of random ancients that Emet and co. came across and offered to power up. These guys are just total mooks, like the ascians you nuke the poo poo out of in the summoner quests, and are basically toast if you hit them with enough aether in one go (say: a deathflare), no fancy bullshit needed.

The blade of light from Hydaelyn wasn't actually enough to kill Lahabrea, but it apparently -was- enough for Ardbert and co to kill two of the sundered Ascians.

It's noticeable that both Igeyorhm and Nabriales required us to lock them up in white auracite to trap them for long enough to charge up an attack big enough to kill them, which also required outside sources of aether. Tupsimati and Moenbyrda's sacrifice for Nabriales, and Nidhogg's eye for Igeyorhm. Meanwhile the black masked Ascians are weak enough that they outright cannot possess any bodies that aren't already a corpse and we can kill them rather easily without white auracite at all being involved.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The dps check is definitely rather tight. You can't afford many deaths, and uptime is important, even more so than regular extreme fights. I went in with my e8s static and while we were a little rusty due to not meeting since we finished getting all our E8S drops we managed to clear it within a couple hours.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I checked the clip, and it's 10 seconds of uptime actually! Even worse!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if Zenos isn't actually Shinryu at this point. Not like he's not Zenos any more, just kind of like how Sephiroth and Jenova are technically the same person during FF7. Could definitely see them leaning into him being a shard of Elidibus the way the WoL is probably a shard of Azem, too.

He can't be a shard of Elidibus because there are no shards of Elidibus, he was one of three people who didn't get split apart by Hydaelyn.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The things we know about the sound are this: It came from underground, it mutated non-ancients exposed to it, it made ancients lose control of their creation magic, it originated outside of Amaurot and travelled towards it over time, hitting at least one non-amaurotian city across the sea first.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I don't think fighting Hydaelyn is in the cards, even if it turns out that she does die. As presented so far, she's working off the last dregs of her power, in fact before we fed her back the crystals of light she made the original Warriors of Darkness she was incapable of deliberately talking to anyone anymore, even after she made Minfillia her mouthpiece to get around that. As presented a fight against her would be like... kicking someone who's on life support.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
We're directly told that the Sound wasn't just that, it mutated non-ancient life exposed to it and also forced ancients to lose all control over their creation magic. The ancients from amaurot even visited and captured creatures from another city that had previously been exposed to it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Badger of Basra posted:

I would be very upset if my WoL summarily executed someone who was beaten and unconscious but not dead.

I mean.... we kinda have, on multiple occassions? Such as the coils, or when we were intending to but got beaten to the punch in warring triad.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The echo has exactly zero combat utility.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

the_steve posted:

Tell that to Fordola.

We're not Fordola and we don't get to read people's minds.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Cleretic posted:

The Echo by itself is basically combat-neutral outside of dealing with primals. And in... many cases might actually be combat negative; the Echo flashbacks that we get have been problems in some cases, most prominently in the physical DPS and healer role quests.

And we've got one of the useful ones, since it also gives us knowledge of our potential failures (which is where the Echo buff and a lot of AoE tells come from). Spare a thought for Minfilia, who only had the flashbacks. Of course, there's some that have more useful ones than us; Mikoto's flash-forwards are why she never takes any damage in DR, for instance.

The echo doesn't give us tells, and we have no precognitive abilities. The only echo powers we have are flashbacks and being able to understand any language.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

apostateCourier posted:

Depends on the Echo. Doesn't seem like everyone gets the full package, we definitely did though. Wipes are just potential futures you've seen, aoe indicators are hinted at as being an Echo thing, Fordola's whole deal... There's a lot.

We don't see potential futures and aoe indicators are not the echo. You're confusing fan theories with actual canon. Cast bars and aoe indicators are simply 'the WoL and other people are good fighters and can recognize what their opponents are going to do' because it's not like people without the echo can't dodge them.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Allarion posted:

We even got to see the the echo used against us when we fought Ardbert and crew

in the form of them being low budget ascians piloting corpses, so we couldn't just stab them to death because they were already dead.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Chillgamesh posted:

15) I think what the game refers to as the Rift is just what we would call outer space - not other dimensions. Presumably the Source, as the largest and most aetherically charged of the planets, would naturally be the most likely to attract the attention of aetherically-attuned spacefarers like Omega and Midgardsormr.

We've been to and through the interdimensional rift multiple times, it's not outer space.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Elidibus explicitly states that we're growing stronger after every fight and it's to a monstrous level. Also, except for a couple exceptions (Hades and Elidibus trials, trust dungeons) we canonically solo everything.

Hell, in this latest patch it's mentioned that the weak point in plan 'send in the WoL to fight an army' isn't that we're not capable of it, but that eventually we'd get tired and overwhelmed through sheer numbers

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I just want to know what happened to Ran'jit's body. It disappeared after the last fight in Eulmore and I was half expecting him to show up again during the Eden raid series or the Shadowkeeper follow-up quests, but no. He's just gone.

Eulmore's soldiers found his body and cleaned it up, this was in the MSQ.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
From what I recall, when Fordola is given the resonance it's not phrased as it being untested, but that they know it works it's just dangerous and might kill her, it's not a big stretch to say that Zenos got his resonance from a different echo user, particularly as he doesn't seem to have Krile's powers like Fordola does.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The datamined scythe looks like poo poo because it A: wasn't actually datamined and B: is from FF11

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ImpAtom posted:

No, everyone reincarnates eventually in the FFXIV worldsetting. Whatever makes up your aether goes into the planet and is eventually reborn. This includes the sundered Ascians as we know from things like the WoL being both Azem and heavily implied Tenzen

We are definitely not implied to be Tenzen, for one extremely simple reason: Tenzen's soul was in the seal the entire time.

Other people are allowed to be heroes too, not every historical hero is an Azem reincarnation. In fact, it's probable that exactly none of them are besides us.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Doublestep posted:

i randomly looked up the moon on the ff wiki to see if it had a name and it just straight up says the moon is a prison for Zodiark, no idea if that's 1.0 lore or something

Hydaelyn claims it is during your conversation with her in the anti-tower, and there's probably a reason that Elidibus loved hanging out up there and there's Ancient structures up there including a concept library, so it's probably true.

I say probably because due to things we learned in Shadowbringers it turns out Hydaelyn is a lying liar who lies.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Jetrauben posted:

So the finale for Zadnor is good. Awful convenient for there to be an evil, berserk Allagan weapon for Misija to redeem herself destroying!

Honestly, though, Diabolos' life sucks. Dude may be an utterly evil backstabbing Voidsent monster, but he got summoned on multiple occasions, imprisoned for a thousand years, beaten to within an inch of his life, killed, possibly reconstituted in a chimerical cyborg horror, and then killed again. The universe is seemingly determined to dunk on him.

Although his being possibly revived within the Armament asks all sorts of uncomfortable questions about the other Voidsent we've destroyed.

I'm kinda disappointed we never actually see a Bozjan settlement, though. I know it's not viable, but I'd really like to actually see Bozjan and Ilsabard culture instead of it all being a take-our-word-for-it.

I don't think Diabolos was actually inside the Armament at all, since it's been around for over three thousand years (since before the fall of allag!) while Diabolos was summoned during the war of the magi thousands of years later, and then finally permanently killed by us. The notes say that it's some kind of cyborg chimera monstrosity intended to be his host body by the allagans, but probably never actually used.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Vitamean posted:

Quick question of what I assume was a 1.x thing:

What's Sicinius referring to during the last Dabog skirmish when he talks about "the VIIth's data extraction technique"?

He's talking about the thing Valens was doing to let him copy the fighting abilities of garlean legates into the Weapons.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
It's not really a plot hole, because Ilberd was never even trying to summon Rhalgr. He states outright that he wanted something akin to Bahamut.

All those people who got sacrificed for the primal didn't get a say in the matter, because they were just the fuel not the summoners.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
We already have pretty direct evidence that at least one of the twelve was in fact not a god at all, and that we are their reincarnation, much like Garuda is based off of the allagan general in charge of the Ixal when they were first created. I find it highly unlikely that the game is going to go 'yeah, all the beast tribe gods are fake, but the twelve? Totally real and the only legitimate religion' at this point.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Fordola's powers are explicitly a copy of Krile's, she's just unable to control it and so has it on full blast 24/7, and Krile doesn't fight.

Also, when Fordola was given her powers it was already a known quantity with known risks, which tells me that Zenos probably already had them.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

jokes posted:

Thankfully it’s usually supposed to be like a couple days or whatever.

I think the entire events of FF14 take place over a couple months?

This was a bit ago, but some of the hardest evidence we have for the passage of time is in Heavensward which we know took a -minimum- of 9 months, as you see a couple go from first meeting to having had a child together over the patches, with their storyline updating with each new patch and ending 3.5, alongside patches starting with explicit references to months passing since the end of the previous patch including between 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.3 to 3.4

Cirina fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 26, 2021

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Emet Selch is dead. The only thing we use trapping an ascian soul for is to enable us to then break said soul, which we very much did when we threw a giant spear of light through it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Ah i see we're having another 'Cleretic wildly misunderstands or is outright wrong about things that happened' session.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
We've seen allagan clones without souls, they're kinda mindless and can only do things if someone else is puppetting them, the simple fact that Xande wasn't means he had a soul.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
No one had a battle form outside emet-selch who was using his special and unique connection to the life stream to empower himsef, and that warrior of light was explicitly a post sundering hero, not Azem.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Why do you people insist on responding to moofia, just put them on ignore and make the thread better for everyone because you don't need to see their poo poo takes and no one needs to see them in quotes either.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Pigbuster posted:

From the normal thread:

Given what we know now about the art of creation, this guy's just being absurdly overdramatic, right? Though considering he gets brought low by a level 14 WoL maybe he's just bad at his job.

With 5.3 it's implied that this guy was one of Elidibus' 'go find new adventurers, cause minor problems, and then lose to them on purpose to encourage their heroics' minons, because they were doing the exact same things.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, IMO, that Ascian is basically intentionally chewing the scenery there because he’s playing the role of inscrutable evil wizard while trying to create minor heroes for Elidibus.

[edit] Actually I guess it depends on whether the Ascian is intentionally speaking Eorzean to be understood or the Echo is letting us understand their Ancient language. They definitely didn't know we had they echo at this point, I'm pretty sure.

Every Ascian has the echo, so they can be understood regardless if they want to be. Also that ascian in the intro was in no danger, no bodies around or no, they had their escape method dark crystal so they just fled in soul form after back to their in between dimensions meeting point.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Nessus posted:

I believe the tier list works like this:

Boss-grade mob: Some jackass who had part of the soul of an actual Ancient
Elite-boss grade mob: Ditto, but one of the guys who summoned Zodiark (these people include most of the Ascians we have encountered)
Super-Villain grade world boss: Elidibus, Lahabread, Emet-Selch

It doesn't seem completely clear how much of the 'original person' is actually there to get reawakened and how much of it is a monster zap from a soul crystal of one of the original council. I suspect this may get explored some with Fanny and co.

Fun thought while I was organizing that: Ryne and Gaia can absolutely pop in and help us out (though I suspect they won't, as Gaia is optional content... for now)

I'm not sure Ryne or Gaia actually can because of the limitation on ascian world travel. That being that they you know, have to die first. And then find a body to possess in the world they're going to.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

musouka posted:

The thing that really sticks in my craw about Venat's plan, even now is that she had full information including where the source of the Sound was coming from and proof in the form of a brand affixed to Meteion. The Ancients were trying to stabilize a situation where their planet was dying, but at no point is it implied that she tried to explain that she knew exactly what was causing the problem. After things were stabilized, it's possible that the Ancients would have turned to trying to solve the issue, but we'll never know because Venat trusted knowledge of the future instead of an unknown variable like the actions of her people after they were traumatized.

Rewatch the post-Anamnesis Anyder cutscene, it addresses this in specific. She and her group did in fact try to explain to the convocation what was going on and that Zodiark would only serve as a delay not a solution, but the convocation didn't listen.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Honestly I'm sick of the crystal being used and hope it gets retired now. Go back to offering no explanation for duty finder, it's a game mechanic and that's all with no basis in the story.

Edit- Also I found them going out of their way to explain why you have other people with you in Pandaemonium completely unnecessary and weird.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I prefer things like the Weapon questline or Titania, or Innocence, where you explicitly solo them is all. So them shoehorning in explanations for duty finder is less fun to me.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
lol at people taking pure gameplay conceits as canon. When they want it to be clear you didn't solo things, they make it clear, such as by having the Exarch literally summon people in for you, or you summoning them with the azem crystal, or Themis creating illusionary minions to fight alongside you, or the trust system where you run dungeons along the scions (and not random adventurers because that'd be dumb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ImpAtom posted:

So to be clear your argument is that literally everything prior to ShB is the WoL fighting alone in every circumstance even when other people are showing fighting alongside them in cutscenes and we're told that you're taking a squadron (i.e: not just yourself) in.

Also there is an entire segment of the game dedicated to events that only have you controlling yourself called Solo Duties which is different from Dungeons because ???

It's because this is a mmo, and therefore you play with other people. There is not a crack team of echo havers fighting primals along side you for 90% of the game yes, especially since in almost every circumstance there's no actual opportunity to pick up people. You definitely wouldn't have a bunch of echo havers with you to fight Shinryu because there was absolutely no reason to think they'd be needed.