Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
I like how there's some additional symbolism to Azem's seat being deliberately left vacant. It was the only position that concerned affairs outside Amaurot, so by refusing to acknowledge it, the Convocation basically said "screw everyone that aren't us". And we know how that ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
I picked the wishy-washy third option ("I trust you'll make the right decision" or something), then chose to kill her, and she died before I could do it.

I figured my character hesitated for too long since I already established them as indecisive.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
Finished Endwalker, had some strong negative kneejerk reactions so I've been ruminating on it for a couple days to see if my opinion changed. It didn't really.

Basically, I loved everything up to Elpis (I see people complain about the In from the Cold duty, personally that, along with the whole Garlemald zone, was one of the highlights for me). I also loved the dungeons and trials post-Elpis. The story took a nosedive for me in Elpis onward, though, because, my personal dislike of stable time loops aside, the whole concept of dynamis felt like an unnecessary rear end-pull. The game's always been eager to explain how things work, yet it's terrible at explaining dynamis, and much of the story starts hinging on it once you get to Elpis. There isn't anyone who tries to draw connections to stuff we've already seen, like Nidhogg being for all intents and purposes a rage ghost, or that the "faith" part of summoning primals might have something to do with dynamis (and, possibly unrelated, when Ilberd summons Shinryu, we see a dark fog effect very similar to dynamis). Yes, nobody knows about it, which is why nobody can really exposit about it, but that's not very satisfying. So a lot of stuff in Elpis and beyond felt hollow to me, almost like it was written by a different person.

Dungeons were all top notch though, and as much as I disliked Ultima Thule because dynamis didn't click for me, the 90 dungeon was great. Felt like a better, shorter Ultima Thule. "Life is meaningless so we decided to die" x 5 just left me frustrated, but the 90 dungeon I feel did a great job of showing me both the different ways that can play out, and it made me warm up to Meteion a tiny bit. I would've liked it better if she'd permanently been a bird, her girl design was a bit too anime for me even though I can't pinpoint exactly why. I do like that she somewhat resembles a siren though, which works well with the whole Song of Oblivion thing.

Overall I'd say that ShBs ending and overall tone was better, but the first 60-70% of Endwalker is my favorite part of the whole game, and though the narrative fumbled a bit towards the end it had a ton of highs and I enjoyed them immensely. I can see what the narrative was trying to do, it just didn't work for me personally.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
My male moon cat WoL lived as a hobo hermit in the Shroud (his family was very conservative about no men in the house) until Bahamut happened and he got saved by Gridania's conjurers. With zero social skills and the charisma of a dead dodo, his most fervent wish is to be a random background NPC and keep his head out of trouble... which, considering what game he's in, goes poorly :v:

I tried to tie this into his character design by giving him grey skin and hair. Since everything gets desaturated at night, he kinda just... disappears against a lot of the backgrounds. Can't attract attention if people can't see you, or something.