Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Why did mortals make a male Ifrita?

Does the Amalj'aa culture even have the concept of genders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait I thought all souls were sundered souls of the Ancients.
After Zodiark rewrote the rules of reality and stopped the calamities, but before Hydaelyn splintered everything, new non-Ancient mortal souls started appearing in the world. The Ascians' endgoal was to sacrifice these new souls as an exchange with Zodiark, so that the Ancients who sacrificed themselves to form him the first time could be reclaimed. While the Hydaelyn faction thought that wasn't right, and sacrificed themselves to create her and prevent that. So now everyone is sundered, but not all are former-Ancients.

There's also the people that felt a great sense of having lost something important from witnessing the starshower, but didn't actually awaken the Echo. Who I think might be sundered Ancients, but just lacking the part of their soul that would grant the special abilities. Which could then relate to why some peoples' Echos vary in strength and usage.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Its Rinaldo posted:

Primals are summoned when people are praying desperately for salvation and Crystal Mama doesn't happen if Zodiark is just chilling after everything is fine

By all accounts Zodiark was just chilling, but the Convocation were planning to ask him to do something that had the Ancients split 50/50 on whether they thought it was ethical.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Even with the relative timescale thing Nidhogg is actually fully aware the Ishgardians of today aren't actually guilty or aware of their supposed crime. Then even though he could easily kill them all if he wanted, he strategically plans to create the most destruction possible while still letting the society survive to birth new bodies for him to kill later.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if Emet-Selch wasn't completely literal when he claimed to be tempered, and actually meant like Elidibus always nagging him and setting him back on the path whenever his heart wavered. Rather than actually having his will overridden by Zodiark.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think she was clarifying that "the fascist that killed someone on our side" meant Regula killing Ysayle with his airship.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think Ultima halted the aether drain situation, but kept what the primals had already absorbed trapped. Instead of destroying them and letting their aether dissipate back into the enviornment.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

When you talk to G'raha when he's hanging out after returning to the Source, but before starting the 5.4 MSQ, he confirms that the memory/soul transfer granted him the extra soul density that the Exarch had from experiencing the 8th rejoining. (Also that the other pieces of his soul that were shared in common resonated in some manner, but did not further increase in density. So he's currently in the same 9/14ths rejoined position as the WoL, and not some 17/14ths Super Ancient soul-haver.)

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i dunno how hydaelyn ended up being the spirit of the star instead, did she punch zodiark straight out of the world and into space?

It's extremely likely that Hydaelyn's metaphysical sundering of reality was also accompanied by her physically sundering zodiark from the planet and creating the moon.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

We'll most likely encounter all the remaining Ascians to tie up the narrative, but not necessarily have to kill them.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Going by Gaia and Danny not giving a poo poo about their duty, I don't think the sundered Ascians are tempered by Zodiark at all. Plus I'm assuming they lived some time as mortals before the bosses showed up to give them their Ancient memories. So the remainders may also be inclined to just have personal motives of varying moralities to use their cool darkness powers for.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Estinien will just be like Alisaie, except instead of blowing your LB the moment you get one, Estinien will jump directly into an AoE the moment one appears.

If your party is Alphinaud, Allisaie, and Estinien, then Alph will spend all his attention on them and almost never heal you.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

multijoe posted:

Step 1: Do exactly what the Ascians want every step of the way
Step 2: ???
Step 3: THE REIGNS OF HISTORY ARE BACK IN THR HANDS OF MAN

Fully rejoined Varis kills Emet-Selch.
"I'm so proud of you, grandson"
Varis is loving pissed.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

When Estinien first meets up with you and Alphinaud at the end of 2.5, Haurchefaunt leads him into the room and then leaves again without saying a word.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cylva was snatched from her ruined world to the First and tasked by Elidibus to setup a bunch of problems, and then also work to stop them. The plan was to culminate with Ardbert killing her, bringing The First just to the required amount of light aether for a rejoining. Instead he spared her, moved on to kill her Ascian masters, which was too much and triggered the Flood.

Then the rest of the Warriors were brought to The Source and tasked by Elidibus to cause problems, also solve them, and to bring the Source to the required amount of Light to allow the rejoining.

I feel like condemning Cylva also requires you to look harshly on the rest of Ardbert & friends for their own desperate attempts to go along with the rejoining plan.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nessus posted:

I don't think they're getting rid of egis because carbuncles are part of their monetization strategy. It would be like removing the portly puss or moogles.
Give a persistent carbuncle/default state, and work the primals into rotational abilities.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The actual text of both the short story AND the poo poo in game is that they had no idea what would happen. Good attempt tho.
G'raha and the Ironworks do both question that erasing themselves may be a consequence of changing history though. They had no idea for sure what would happen, and in the end it didn't work that way, but they did acknowledge it as a risk.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

We've seen the planet from the moon's surface, and from there the planet looks relatively large. Meanwhile from the planet's surface the moon looks relatively small. If they were the same size they should have the same apparent size from the same distance, right?(i.e. from the surface of the other one)

My theory is that when Hydaelyn metaphysically sundered the world into shards across the rift she also physically kicked Zodiark out of the planet so she could replace him within it as The Will, and thus created the moon as his new smaller container.
Here's an artistic representation.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The story calls G'raha an idiot for having heroic self-sacrifice as his long planned endgoal he's striving for, but it doesn't say all who have given their lives for others were dipshits.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

FunkyFjord posted:

Is there anything explicitly stating that the akadaemia horrors were their unconscious fears being weaved into their creations though?

Definitely, they spend enough time in that section talking about the slightest missteps in concentration leading to similar effects but I was pretty unclear if that meant things like 'this robe I tried to create came out as an eldritch horror end beast' or 'it's size and coloring is not quite what I intended.'

I don't think anything in Akadaemia is related to The Final Days, but in the "Amaurot" dungeon Emet-Selch pretty plainly says "Just as prayers give rise to primals, our dread made manifest our deepest fears."
What we know is basically that something spooky started happening, and then as it got worse people started accidentally thinking "I sure hope no scary monsters jump out at me" while doing creation magic which made the progression of the bad things accelerate exponentially.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Scions initially theorized that the Elidibus we know must be someone that refilled the seat after the previous one became the heart of Zodiark, but then we find out that no he just yanked himself out of Zodiark's main body and that the only Elidibus present in the story is all the same guy.
We also hear about how he was a newer member of the Convocation, but that was still decent amount of time prior to the Final Days.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Agreed. It's been a while, but I think you're going there to negotiate something with the summoning clan? I read that line as "If negotiations break down, I'm killing the primal. Even if they go well I still may need to if she doesn't disperse on her own." Acknowledging the reality and that even a "good" interaction like Ramuh still necessitated a fight.

I feel like being required to kill it after an otherwise peaceful negotiation still falls under the "if I have to" part of the warning, not "even if I don't"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

With the conflict between Zodiark and Hydaleyn ended and the threat of calamities and umbral eras ended for good, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn will disband, their job complete.

2 seconds later they'll announce a new group name and say you can't get rid of them that easy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If we ever see Emet-Selch again it would be in the context of somehow revisiting the story of the 8th umbral era timeline where he and Elidibus are still alive, or we'll meet a baby that smirks and does a strangely snarky handwave at us

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hogama posted:

Louisoix did some permanent psychic damage on the Ascians by simply preventing Bahamut from destroying the world too hard and presenting them the irresistible prospect of finishing their millennia-spanning goal sooner than planned.
"I mean, there's only one Warrior of Light, how bad could it be?"

Emet-selch really had the right idea to just kill off his emperor character and take a hundred year nap.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm not entirely sure about aether thermodynamics but I think Lahabrea getting absorbed into a primal, and then the primal getting killed and releasing it's absorbed aether back into the world, would probably release Lahabrea back into the lifestream?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zodiark rewrote the rules of reality so that the planet would sprout new life, and whatever was causing problems before would cease. Then Hydaelyn's job was to split him apart as an Ascian-safety lock to prevent them from asking him for bad stuff like killing all that new life in exchange for getting old lives back.

The only threat we've really been working under is "all the mortals on every shard will die as part of calamities and the Ascians' endgoal." If she was personally holding reality together I feel like that would've been mentioned as a threat of her waning power by now, and so possibly Zodiark's rules are still what's doing that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

The Exarch transferring his soul was never even an idea. You can't be alive without a soul, they couldn't just pluck it out of his body and put it in the crystal, he was still walking around!

The Exarch infuses his soul vessel at the same time his body is dying and turns to crystal.
If you talk to G'raha back on The Source before starting the next patch MSQ he has dialogue about how the process worked for him, and that he now has the extra soul density from the Exarch having lived through the 8th rejoining in the other timeline and that the rest of his soul just attuned without any messy complications.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Countblanc posted:

the fact that the pastebin is written like "idk i think the capstone ability is called this, maybe not. also i cant remember what it does" actually makes it feel more likely to be correct lol

Checks out with the Shadowbringers media tour leak pastebin that had stuff like "Samurai: A new ability called " Shouwa / Shoah " ??? Something jewish?." and "Astrologian: New spell : Creswahtiahiojwdoiajdo whatever it was?"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It sounds like it replaces Blizzard 1/Fire 1, for one cast per phase.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Maybe the Arcanists' old spells still exist, and it's only the WoL that decides geometry is too lame and learns to summon Carbuncle just to have a cute little friend while they pursue becoming as gods.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Did everyone instantly become a new reborn person at the point of the Sundering, or did they start as 14 exact clones and then slowly diverge through random chaos and later reincarnations at the end of their now mortal lifespans?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The convocation members weren't sacrificed to Zodiark, and thus would have returned to the lifestream when dead. Since it's cyclical, those lifestream souls would eventually be born into new people, and the Ascians would be able to find / uplift them.

It's the regular ancients that were sacrificed that were the problem, since Zodiark used them for fuel. They planned to have the restored, but there's no telling that's even possible at that point.

I'd guess that beating up Zodiark and making him dissolve into aether might theoretically release the souls that currently comprise his form into the lifestream for reincarnation.
Though I imagine he's still load-bearing even while imprisoned, and that getting rid of him outright would also release whatever set off the original calamity.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My assumption is that awakening a sundered Ascian's memories doesn't kill the body they're currently reincarnated in, and when it does eventually get discarded/destroyed for any reason then the whole corpse possession limitation comes up.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Taynor says he feels like he already knows Unukalhai. It could still go either way on meaning he's the counterpart of Taynor himself, or of his bff Nyelbert.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Lakshmi is a lesser primal made of random aether, and with no special link to the lifestream. So her "resurrection" was just creating a doll, and she couldn't source the actual desired soul.
The theory behind the Ascians' plan is that the souls used to create Zodiark's form still exist inside him, and we have evidence of that with Elidibus managing to separate himself back out. Therefore they want to take the other souls back out of him too, but also trade new souls into him so he can continue to exist as well.
Plus natural reincarnation of dead people and Ascians restoring their memories of a past life is also a demonstrated thing. So I really see no reason why their plan shouldn't be possible. The issue is really just their desired targets are trapped inside something that's essential for the current existence of reality.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I wonder if the limitation would also be different if the summoners were consciously aware that they were just summoning an image of their God, and not actually The One and Only True Form, or if part of their faith included that their deity is capable of manifesting in multiple places at once.
The faith part of it is interesting since it does actually fuel the primals to an extent, but the WoL+Ryne+Eden obviously didn't have that aspect.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Vermain posted:

Also, before I forget: is Venat's explanation of the blessing of Light a mistranslation? The Echo and the blessing of Light have always been separated out in the English script, but Venat claims that the magic her future self wove into you is what actually protects against tempering... something that's contradicted by Heavensward, where you're still able to fight Ravana a-okay even before Midgardsormr returns the blessing of Light to you.

I believe it's that people with The Echo and are able to hear her voice are gifted her Traveler's Ward that prevents aetheric corruption. The thing with the crystals that charges us with additional Light power is an extra, separate thing. The game does play it a little loose with calling both enhancements "the blessing of light," but that's the characters conflating the phenomena and terms.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. It says it can 'tug.' Not take control.

I imagine Emet-Selch's tempering is more like he'd occasionally hear the shades of those sacrificed saying their "We are the will of the star" "We must save this star" "Do you remember" stuff. No actual compulsion to do anything or loss of will, but making his depression and dissociation with the modern world worse than it already was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My assumption was just that the dynamis impact made the planet itself "cry"