Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

So, some thoughts.

Fandaniel's represented by the Leo star sign. The Leo crystal in Amaurot had a rather interesting line.

As well, given the association with the lion, and Ascians taking the forms of primals/summons now...

Could Fandaniel be Griever?

I have a feeling Fandaniel's not really 'into' the whole idea of Zodiark or anything. As far as he was concerned that was the prerogative of the unsundered. He just wants to be rich and immortal.

Has anyone else matched Ascian to constellation to soul stone line? I don't really know my star signs off by eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks, guess I'll need to rewatch the cutscenes to match up the lines.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

please post these

RIP, Unending Journey only has Emet-Selch's crystal cutscene in it. Will have to find someone else's recording of the other crystals.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

please post these

OK, pulled the dialogue from Garland Tools, let's start matching them up:

Altima:
"...day forth...bring honor to the seat of..."

Halmarut:
"Behold, my friends."
"Embraced by the earth and caressed by the wind, vibrant life flourishes. All is right in creation."

Igeyorhm:
"There can be no greater joy than to use our wisdom for the good of our people. No greater pride."

Deudalaphon:
"May all know happiness, now and forevermore."

Loghrif:
"The heavens are ablaze and the land rent asunder. What will become of the world? Is life itself to be denied?"

Mitron:
"Come what may, we must not surrender to despair. If we but hold fast to hope, we may yet find a path to salvation."

Nabriales:
"Everything burns. Crumbles. Decays. I hear the lamentations of my brethren. And soon there will be only silence."

Emmerololth:
"We will deliver our star from its doom, this we swear. So please, dry your tears."

Lahabrea:
"The time is come. We shall rewrite the laws of creation. And we shall save our star."

Elidibus:
"From this life, our savior born... May I be worthy of the honor."

Fandaniel:
"I feel my soul turning. Slowly but irrevocably. And the power I wield begins to seem terrible... But this is right. It is right."

Pashtarot:
"Though salvation is ours, it came at great sacrifice. All that remains is to pray..."
"To pray that we will one day meet again, beneath a blue sky."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

Sounds like he basically did flash-imprints of bits of people's souls, yeah. Presumably fixable or recoverable, but it's why none of them seem to have concrete identities beyond vague signifiers of their heroic deeds and pasts. I'm actually fairly confident we'll see the Necromancer again given how big a deal they made of her; the Thief is transparently just Locke from FF6.

Nah, Thief is definitely Bartz. Uses Chicken Knife and all. Also clearly slotted in !Ninjitsu.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

homeless snail posted:

She throws him a sack of cartridges in the finale, when they go to do the Mor Dhona scholar FATE

Oh is that what that was? I thought she was throwing him a fat stack of cash to pay for the tea or something on the way out.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Emmerololth was the one who got merced by Galuf and co at Baldesion right? I'm still on Pyros.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I thought the Nier story this round was pretty nothing as well, but the fights were fun.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Valens already did that though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The four lords, while pulled from mythology in every case ever, were also in FFXI, and if you're willing to count SaGa games, Final Fantasy Legends II/SaGa 2.

Yeah the XIV Four Lords are definitely based on the XI counterparts, considering that Tenzen plays a big role in their story and Iroha's theme plays in their hideout.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

IMO Bahamut Egi should be even bigger.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

VRTRA

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTTtd6bnhFs

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm pretty sure the Zeal-ish zone is on Thavnair or near it, considering that one of the statues that gets blasted in the trailer was a dancer statue.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I wonder what the betting odds are of the expac final boss being Jenova vs Lavos vs Zeromus.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MSQ post-credits: Gateway of the gods? Now I'm very glad that I'm about to finish Chains of Promanthia in FFXI. Who wants to bet that the 6th zone in EW is Al'Taieu?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

With the fact he's picking up Sage in Endwalker, his new name is clearly Alphinaud Ray.

drat, RIP Alphinaud's dad then.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Y'know, it all makes sense now. Tem Rey, just like Forteteterete Levillieur, was an intellectual who, while very smart, was absolutely terrible with his kids.

Also he got sucked out an airlock, suffered from oxygen deprivation and eventually died by falling down a flight of stairs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gateway of the Gods let's fukkin Chains of Promantha this poo poo

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Have you looked at the Job Abilities video? There's a Thinker in there.

I did see that, yeah. I didn't play FFXI during its heyday, I got into it during ShB leadup lull and play it whenever I'm bored, but I was playing through CoP when 5.5 dropped and I was like "THEY SAID THE PHRASE"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

So doing some quick math, it looks like you cast 1 Ruin IV and 0 Ruin III's per 60 second cycle and only 3 of those GCDs have cast times, so this job is both insanely mobile and insanely set in it's rotation. This might be the successor to Stormblood Machinist I was waiting for.

Oh god, I hope so. I miss StB MCH...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gearhead posted:

We know that there is more than raw genetics to heredity in this world since the energies of a person's soul, the physical substance of a person and the environment itself are all different vibrations of the same stuff and it doesn't take THAT much extra energy to start blending all of that together in new and horrible ways. I could very easily see a situation in which Hades' spirit is resulting in the conception of large, half-Amurotian children even though his body is Garlean. We have no other examples of an Unsundered having children at this time. But we do have interesting situations where the offspring of Garlean and non-Garlean generally result in the children taking after the non-Garlean parent.

It is interesting that during the time that Allag started to REALLY go downhill being Huge became fashionable, right after Sephirot was captured and his unique magicks that governed gigantism were studied.

Technically we do have one other example of an unsundered having kids with Midgardsormr and his brood, but dragons are asexual so it's hardly relevant anyway :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I once did the usual pre-patch joke of "yeah Goku is the final boss of the dungeon" for Swallow's Compass and boy was there egg on my face when I saw who the final boss actually was.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A breather patch or two would be nice, yeah. Maybe start pointing us to Meracydia/New World/????

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TGLT posted:

I mean, at this point we're just going to have to disagree. Reincarnation is continuation - the self is indestructible, and when it dies it sheds its memory and body before migrating to a new life.

Completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, but I feel like the real-life forefront proponent of reincarnation, the Buddha, might have words with you and your insistence on the self being key to reincarnation considering that lack of self is a key tenet of Buddhism. Of course, XIV reincarnation probably does not adhere to Buddhist theological explanations, but your line stood out to me and made me amused.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Isn’t the Buddha an opponent of reincarnation? Like, he’s trying to get the whole thing to stop

I meant more that he believed that it was a thing that existed, rather than thinking that it was a positive thing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I quite liked Seiryu EX personally. The back and forth was fun.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FFXIII was an ascian plot

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm getting out of here. Bye all.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Final boss Did kinda wish that the Endsinger was called Zeromus or Necron or something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I always hated these theories. FF14 is its own game. It should have its own end boss, and not just be a reference to another game. I'm glad that turned out to be true.

Eh, it can be its own deal but have a name reference.

Jetrauben posted:

So maybe I'm stupid from multiple days of no-lifing it, but I'm trying to figure if I read the ending wrong.

1: "Our" Metheia is still alive, in her bird form? That's a curious choice.
2: So the Metheion's plan was causing irreparable damage to the cosmos because they were basically sucking up the souls of those who fell prey to their despair-infused dynamis bombardment to ensure no new life could be born. Is that why there was no aether detected in the victims' bodies? And cracking the Dead Ends' shell and Metheia's last gift released those souls back into the cosmos, including Etheirys/Hydaelyn as well as the other ravaged worlds?
3: What was with the scene of seeing the Ancient quartet walking past the Scions and nodding? Should that be seen as purely metaphorical?

1. Think so, yeah.
2. Yeah, blasting enough dynamis at aether-based lifeforms is bad, as we saw. I don't think cracking the egg returned the souls though, Meteion mentions that they're not coming back at the end.
3. Just metaphorical.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zeruel posted:

Post zone 5, not a huge fan of the 11th hour villain reveal. dungeon with ES, hythlo and venat was cool though.

idk if it's because it's late or what but I'm also not really following what happened with venat. she rejected the amarautians wanting to return to the gif times and was like "life sucks deal with it"?

Her point was that trying to sacrifice lives to get back to the good ol' days is fruitless and will only lead to more suffering, rather than accepting that those days are gone and learning to live with the current situation and its limitations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

I will say that the way that EW portrays Venat's summoning of Hydaelyn feels way, way more morally ambiguous than I thought it would be, where it's now motivated more by her future knowledge than objection to what the ancients were doing per se. I think for me because she is portrayed now as acting alone, instead of as any group, and immediately after Zodiark's summoning while the world is still burning, vs some time after when things were normal the discussion turns to returning the world to how it was. Of course you could argue this isn't exactly what is happening but dramatic metaphor, but it does muddy the waters in a way that I don't think was necessary?

Also on muddying the waters of the theme, all the talk of suffering yet you never experience any this expansion. It's the suffering of others that gets you to the end, the ancients, the people of Garlemald and Radz-at-Han, but you get off entirely scott free, and it rings more hollow to me now on reflection than it did last night. Well I guess there's my personally suffering at Zenos being in the story :v: but I get the impression you were supposed to like all that.

I didn't read that scene as her summoning Hydaelyn, personally. I read it as her basically announcing her creed and her intentions, and then she will go on to become Hydaelyn later. It's basically a soliloquy in a play, more for us the audience rather than the in-universe crowd.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't think you're meant to take Venat/Hydaelyn's actions at the time as an objectively good solution, more of a best solution at the time that she could think of, just like summoning Zodiark. It's messed up but they were stuck in a rut and she had to fix the immediate issue rather than treating it at the source (because she couldn't), and that caused a lot of Problems for everyone. They say as much that it was a very imperfect solution and that it's up to us to properly fix things.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looks like a very stylised Ragnarok to me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

You know, we've still heard next to nothing about the Island Sanctuary. Maybe the "island" in the name is more metaphorical...

I would bet $5 that it's going to be at Corvus Amenosus, they mention it too many times in the MSQ for us not to go there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Considering that Endwalker was meant to wrap up the Zodiark-Hydaelyn storyline I don't think we're gonna be doing time travel for more Ascian bullshit in the MSQ any time soon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As someone said in the thread the other day, there's two concurrent morals(?) in EW, one which is more practically applicable IRL and one that's more high-concept and more for debate and discussion rather than trying to call your local senator/MP about because humanity isn't approaching that level of perfection any time soon. I feel like that is the high-concept one that there's no real point applying to one person i.e. yourself because it just doesn't work on that scale.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's the best option because it's in character, but also because your WoL has the most hosed up gremlin smirk on their face as they say it

It's the same smirk that he uses when he bodyjacks you so I choose to believe that it's infectious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Corvos is almost 100% going to be Island Sanctuary.