Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fandaniel Radcliffe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cleretic posted:

I still don't buy ANY of that about Amaurot being a utopia, but we're in a weird 'either way it works' situation on Elidibus possibly being a child. Either they are a utopia, in which case it's safe to trust a child there and their judgement is infallible... or they aren't a utopia, and are in fact a civilization so lovely or in such a bad position that they'd put a child in that role, which... also checks out, Lahabrea and Emet had to learn how to be terrible people from somewhere.

They're referring to the actual book, Utopia.

A good number of names in Amaurot come directly from it.

Hell, Amaurot is the capital of Utopia.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

blatman posted:

last nier raid is just the automata hacking minigame except 24 people at once, please look forward to it

One alliance has to forfeit their chance at the costumes/music/minions in order to give everyone a buff that's mandatory to clear the raid.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Third story has gone up. This one focusing on Emet and Elidibus.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Chillgamesh posted:

Also I just did Emerald Weapon today. Jesus Christ Valens :catstare:

That scene really made me wish they did voice acting for more non-MSQ stuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ither posted:

Oh, really?

Guess I got to level up my trusts :smithicide: and run the dungeon again.

Always run trusts for the story clear, that way you can see most of the dialogue without needing them leveled.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

CYBEReris posted:

nier gestalt/replicant isnt anywhere near as smooth as automata but for the most part it's really not that bad to play.

Absolute hell if you want to 100% it though, which includes things like a sidequest that takes 2 real like weeks to clear unless you constantly gently caress with the system clock.

Also NG+ puts you into the second half of the game, meaning any sidequests you miss in the first half are flat out lost unless you start an entirely new file.

To really dig it in, the sidequest split is 51%/49% for both halves of the game, just to make you think you're in the clear if you hit 50% completion by the mid-point.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or the black rose that was connected to light aether just...hosed up all those shadow ghosts real strong. All the ascian plans around this rejoining, from Ultima to Thordan to The WoDs to Black rose all seemed really really slipshod and slapped together, especially on their timeline. Really wouldn't be surprised if they got got by it.

It does make a bit of sense, considering most Calamities have a gap of centuries between them while this one was cut off before it could completely destroy the world thanks to Louisoix. So they might as well get started on the next early.

Then Logrif and Mitron hosed up the First and suddenly they needed a light-aspected Calamity ASAP or else another shard goes the way of the Thirteenth, so they just started throwing plans at the wall in the hopes that something sticks.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Elidibus directly interfered to stop the warring triad, so I doubt they were an acceptable light calamity in the waiting.

I don’t think anything Ardbert and crew were doing had anything light going on either. You’re probably right that they were supposed to entirely be an obstacle for the WoL.

Shinryu is another weird one. He seems to be multi elemental, which is fine, but Nidhogg, if anything, was dark aligned. As was the aether used to summon Shinryu.

I think the plan for the Warring Triad was to have Thordan eat them for a power boost, which would then kick off a light calamity.

Ardbert was probably a repeat of the First's plan, set up some big evil force of Darkness to prompt a bigger force of Light to kick their asses, hopefully pushing the world far enough that a Rejoining could occur.

By the time Shinryu was brought out the First was stabilized, so while they probably had a plan for Nidhogg's aether it got canned and was able to be freely used by Illberd.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

erenoyo posted:

Agrias the character is from Final Fantasy Tactics and the entire Stormblood alliance raid series is loosely based on that game. The other three bosses from Orbonne are also from FFT, as are Ramza and Alma. That quote specifically isn't from FFT but the characters in that game all say weird esoteric poo poo when they use abilities

That quote is actually in FFT, iirc, it's the proper translation of one of the skill lines.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Zandar posted:

Zenos has already explicitly said that he intends to take over Zodiark. That's his weapon, like Shinryu was in SB.

My theory for 6.0 is that he'll try to hijack Zodiark, only to learn the hard way that even a fragmented god is far, far beyond Shinryu and get counterhijacked.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Eopia posted:

We're not Fordola and we don't get to read people's minds.

Fordola doesn't read minds, she has amped up aoe telegraphs.

She also has the past viewing thing we have running in the background 24/7.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

the_steve posted:

I try not to go in on the whole "Bloodlust towards bad characters" schtick, but if ever there were a time that I desperately wished "Go gently caress yourself." was a dialogue option, it was when Yotusuyu's parents were bleeding out in front of you.

On the plus side, Stormblood confirms that time does pass while you're in an Echo trance.

So Yotsuyu's dad saw you, begged you for help, then slowly bled out as you stared at him for five minutes.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rosalind posted:

In short, the unsundered Ascians masterfully manipulated the Allagan Empire into the Calamity, ensuring maximum carnage. To me, this is Ascian machinations at their high watermark. They had absolute control of the situation on all sides. It stands in stark contrast to the modern day Ascian machinations which strike me as (Ilberd voice) sloppy by comparison. I wonder if the ages wore them down a bit intellectually--similar to how Elidibus was having difficulty remembering who he was.

You also have to keep in mind that the Ascians are on a significantly accelerated timetable after Bahamut got sealed and the Calamity cut off early.

Normally they would have centuries to set up new pawns while the world rebuilt itself after a full Calamity, now they're having to prepare a new Calamity after just a few years, plus there are people who know about Ascians and how they operate.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Nessus posted:

Don't both Omega and Midgarsormr get so loving moved by the actions of the Ironworks in the Future Trunks timeline that they resolve to help humanity recover from all that poo poo?

I wonder if Emet-Selch and Elidibus are still alive in that timeline.

They're almost certainly still alive, considering that timeline has a distinct lack of Scions around to hit them with some white auracite, but they're probably taking a nap for a few centuries to let the world recover enough to start on the next Calamity.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Onean posted:

I'd except that, if only because of the wild places the story would have to go to make that work.

The adjutant went down a deep hole that would kill any mortal man.

You know what else went down a deep hole that would kill any mortal man?

The Eyes of Nidhogg. :tinfoil:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

CJ posted:

Is there a reason that they don't show Emet's face in the Vauthry echo scene? I assume that took place during Stormblood, so he should look like Solus. Seems weird to only show him with his hood up.

He might not have looked like Solus at the time. He mentioned having to morph the face of whoever he was hijacking to resemble Solus when he was with the Scions, iirc, and post-Flood was probably enough of an Oh God Panic Now moment that he just hopped in the nearest body and got to work to try and stabilize things.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Plus Coils is basically Savage raids before they started the Normal/Savage split, so making them mandatory would either require redoing every raid to make a Normal version, or figuring out a way to force people to queue for them unsynced.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Azem and Emet (and Hythlo too) are just the old story of an extrovert adopting an introvert as their friend, willingly or not.

On a serious note, the WoL hasn't really been a blank slate for a long time. Like, even from the beggining you can't have your WoL's personality be like "actually the Garleans are right about everything and I want to join them" or "actually Ishgard deserves to burn to the ground, no survivors". You can fill in some details like tastes, backstory and etc, but ultimately the WoL is a nice person who likes helping others, even if sometimes it can be unrewarding, and is also a dumbass every once in a while. It's more like a mad libs sheet with sets phrases and some you can fill in.

And by virtue of that Azem is pretty much the same, except the fixed details are "likes travelling and making friends", "is friends with Emet and Hythlo" and "loves messing with people". Hell, in some aspects they're a bigger blank slate, their motivation and actions during the Final Days could have been anything except "fixed the problem"

And even in finer details: you always refuse a glass of wine when Aymeric invites you to dinner, and watch him like a hawk when he has a drink. No matter how you characterize your WoL, they end up with some PTSD from Nanamo's banquet.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

MechaX posted:

So, the timeline that G'raha came from, exactly how would it end up dealing with the Endsinger stuff given WoL dies (and probably will be reincarnated somewhere) and Emet/Elidibus are still out there?

I mean, given that short story, I guess that is all Midgardsormr's problem now, but I just wonder

At the very least Zodiark is alive, so he'll keep the Endsinger at bay. And since Emet Selch and Elidibus are still around Amon can't pull any schemes to try and doom the world.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm thinking Golbez is the thirteenth's equivalent of Ardbert/you. This would make him your brother, kind of

The expac jobs even went from Dark Knight into Paladin! :eng101:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think it's a bit disingenuous to call Iajutsu a spell being cast.

If you can cast Fist, you can cast Sword.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Cleretic posted:

The Ascian pile-up of plans after the Seventh Calamity was basically just them getting overexcited that for once they didn't have to wait for humanity to rediscover gunpowder and the like. So they were kinda rushing it all.

I don't think going for back to back Calamities was due to overexcitement , I think it was due to panic.

A full, proper Calamity would have the nice side effect of wiping out pretty much everyone who knew of the Ascians, and the sheer chaos that's left in the aftermath would give them plenty of time to clean up any remaining loose ends and make sure no one knew who they were and what they do by the time the next Astral Era rolls around and they can get started on a new Calamity.

With Bahamut sealed away early? The Scions are still kicking, all the city states are aware of the Ascians, and now they have more time to figure out a way to deal with them, so the Ascians have to get something rolling now rather than give them a few centuries to think up anti-Ascian countermeasures.

Lo and behold, just a few years after Bahamut, the Scions now have a way to perma-kill Ascians and one of the only three unsundered Ancients is dead, and things just keep getting worse from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Electric Phantasm posted:

I actually payed attention to the Ultima cutscene recently and I just love Laha's laugh after Ultima goes off.

He's just having a grand old time causing untold amounts of damage. :3:

Such devastation was his intention.