Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The WoL and Scions are more like Luffy and the Strawhats than Goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alaemon posted:

I bet Arenvald really thought he was going to make varsity, but with G'raha joining the Scions, it's not going to happen this season.

the scions have too many drat casters, arenvald should definitely get a promotion

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think something that hurts nier's narrative is the fact that all of the non-androids look exactly the same, and many of those look pretty similar too. having every non-android character be a dwarf - meaning no facial expressions (or face at all really) and identical clothing - makes things all the more difficult to focus in on

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hogama posted:

Zenos will go out in 6.3 and the Warrior of Light's final dialogue options will be between "I wish you could have been around longer." and "I liked you more than Emet-Selch."

This is ideal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fool of sound posted:

Sharlayan fashion icon Krile Baldesion

https://twitter.com/elfwifecity/status/1239822533639065601

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Niddhogg is definitely evil even if he was wronged a thousand years ago

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Zenos is a hunk who understands my unending thirst for Content.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
do we know exactly what laws of reality were changed/rewritten by Zodiark? i wonder how that whole ordeal changed life on other planets.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
look when everyone around you has the fashion sense of a garbage bag you have to get creative

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my friends were some of the lucky few to get through Raubahn (Extreme) during 4.0 and would tell me how weird/cool it was getting to Kugane when there were maybe 3 other people in the whole city. including a guy who was already level 70 somehow??

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they made Gaius super hot so unfortunately he's definitely going to be shown to be sympathetic if not reformed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I cant remember all the pieces to the puzzle now but back in like 4.4 some people puzzled out how it was G'raha before the Crystal Tower was even mentioned and it was such a thorough, convincing thing at the time that i just completely bought into it. before that though i was 100% on the "future alphinaud" train

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

wizardofloneliness posted:

To me, a character who is "evil for evil's sake" means that they were just born evil and don't have any real reason or motives to explain their actions other than that they like doing it. Zenos is the only character who could be described like that, but he's still kind of a mystery. Yotsuyu and Nidhogg are both undeniably evil, but they didn't just wake up one day and decide to start killing people. That doesn't mean they're sympathetic or redeemable though, just that they have actual motivations driving them.

zenos was raised from the word "go" to be how he is, he had no chance.

"evil for evil's sake" as this conversation is defining it basically doesn't exist in fiction anymore unless it's done as parody of that idea (ie the "i don't want to cure cancer, i want to turn people into dinosaurs" guy and even he might have been brainwashed by Big Dinosaur propaganda as a child or something) or it's like, a baby story for babies.

if you expand it to "person acts evil for reasons which seem unrealistic or stupid to the majority of humans but are still A Reason" then there's more to talk about but i feel these sorts of conversations just sort of circle the drain as people list out reasons why someone did a warcrime or a genocide, because of their childhood

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 6, 2020

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the man is tempered, and i'm glad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rantmo posted:

It's got to be Biggs or Wedge but I'm not sure which.

i had assumed it was Jessie but i'm probably wrong

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't stop thinking about when the scions were like "those floating towers look like Garlean tech!" When like... no they don't. Not even remotely!!! Why did they say that lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If 6.0 adds a healer and mdps then between those and dancer and gunbreaker that's really not that much leveling to do all the role quests

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
every time i see an enemy casting one of the Ancient Magics i turn into the pointing leonardo dicaprio meme

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

WrightOfWay posted:

Presumably, populations keep increasing so there must be new souls entering the cycle of rebirth.

i'm not sure it's actually been stated but it feels like one of those things you just have to sorta pretend not to think about. i guess an alternative explanation is that the quantity of souls in the lifestream is such an immeasurably large number that no feasible amount of population growth would ever approach using them all at the same time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eox posted:

I want to know what happens if you break two different job crystals in half and fuse the wrong pieces together

combining half of black mage and red mage stones to create... black mage

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also that requires the characters to be very genre savvy and to realize they're in a story with forced drama and stakes by writers. in-world the WoL and allies are almost definitely one of the safest groups to handle dangerous artifacts

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I want Zenos to absorb zodiark but to just fully do it and remain in control. Primals ain't poo poo, mortals forever baby

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That definitely feels like the original intention from back in 2.X. I expect the healer rework to be a return to that to some extent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tbh until we hear specifics I'm taking that line to mean "they have a Presence of Mind analogue"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

The warrior of light has defeated far, far, far more non-primals than primals, and primals have historically given them the most trouble and required the most preparation and backup to even engage at all.

yeah basically. "going primal" is a lot less of a boon against the WoL than basically anyone else, but it's still a boon. it's not like Thordan was going to have any sort of chance to beat us in wrinkly old pope form, only by becoming a primal did he have anything resembling a chance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The next scion to die is [throws dart at board] the lady who is concerned that her sister is too horny

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like that won't happen until 5.55 specifically for that reason

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
end of msq: happy to see telegraphs that Krile will be a bigger part of the active scions in 6.0

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bruceski posted:

I wonder if she'll change to Sage.

I sorta assumed the way she was looking at Alphinaud she was gonna invite him to tag along to clear his head and that was gonna be the explanation for his job change but obviously that didn't happen

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
having a surprise dungeon would absolutely own, if not just so EXDR didn't have relict for the next 6 months.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cleretic posted:

The Lodestone stories like setting up the idea of Y'shtola and the WoL, but the game never really met them on that (or on... basically anything really, I don't think a single Lodestone story has laid groundwork picked up by the game). I honestly only see that in an 'only two eligible people in the group' kinda thing; they only get together because there are literally no other options. Granted, Y'sh seems to warm considerably in just that situation, it feels like that's how she and Runar grew close, but it's still not much.

Outside of her, I could... maybe see Krile working if they wanted to take that road? Her eyes aren't on anyone else, and she seems friendly without being aloof. There's no groundwork there right now, but it could work if they were so inclined.

krile is the only scion who fits my WoL really, because i simply cannot calibrate to lalafell with any other race

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

multijoe posted:

It has been a real long time since a bug gently caress crazy 'the wisdom to commit violence for its own end' speech, starting to wonder if our boy still has it in him :ohdear:

I believe in my truly insane bestie

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i would be super disappointed not to fight him because i, the gamer playing the game, think he would be a bomb-rear end fight with great lines

e: note this means I hope we don't do more solo duties with zenos because they're contractually obligated to make those exceedingly boring

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
having zenos be the Vaulthry of EW seems good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hogama posted:

Endwalker's finale surprise gives you a Zenos trust. All of his banter is talking mad poo poo about the rest of the group the whole dungeon, especially if the lineup includes Estinien and G'raha.

zenos calling out alisaie's bad lb usage would be everything i could ask for and more

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
zenos' echo manifests as the ability to see parses

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think Zenos sees war as a purifying force, he just likes fighting to a truly bizarre degree in a narrative that generally wants you to take the idea of violence-as-solution a bit more seriously

Coincidentally this is also why Zenos is hilarious and owns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

Now if only we could get the writers to stop writing so many "meanwhile in the imperial palace" scenes where he sits around, boredly

ShB Zenos should have been still vibrating with excitement from fighting the WoL and be taking every opportunity to level up to beat us next time, imo. Really play into the parts of his character that worked instead of the bad parts

Yeah a scene where he's striking down some incredibly powerful foes or like, using the towers to summon lunar primal sparring partners would have been cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's valid to trust thr writers but still not love every character, subplot, etc. I'm very excited for EW's plot because I love Zenos, and Fandaniel has been a delight to watch torment him, so when people are like "don't worry, have faith, they'll fix the bad guys and make it good!" it feels weird to me because... it's already good to me! I love what has been teased and set up! I want more of this! I'm totally ready for EW to just not work for some people at points because of the characters involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
using different essences/lost actions (and changing those mid-combat) has flavors of that for the true sickos