Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Honestly, I think it's too soon to say.
Personally, I think he's just going for zombie apocalypse

I'm assuming Whatshisname hasn't figured out that we worked out a cure for Tempering, or he has and whatever the Towers do is different enough that our method fails or makes it worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Might just be on account of who they're tempered by.

I mean, the Amaalja beast tribe story involves sleeper agents Tempered by Ifrit, and there was no way anyone could tell until they start yelling about how much they love Ifrit and fire.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If anything, I'd wager that Hydaelyn finally just ups and gets killed. She's been on the defensive pretty much since day 1 of character creation.
It was the reason Midgardsormr had to babysit us, it was the reason Minfinilia had to go away the first time. She's basically been running on fumes everytime we deal with her in any meaningful capacity.

Granted, I'm not sure what her current status is now, but, it wouldn't surprise me if she was still considerably less than 100%

So yeah, I could see some sort of Zodiark manifestation happening, going through a bunch of stuff to get Hydaelyn onto the field only for her to get immediately Noped out, necessitating the WoL getting some sort of power up or alternative way of dealing with him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

a cartoon duck posted:

still think there is a non-zero chance we'll fight Hydaelin. 5.0 and 5.x made her seem a lot shadier than before, between being a primal, her servant describing her own existence as fundamentally the same as an ascian's, her creator sympathising with the Zodiark faction but thinking they're not going far enough, and running a telepathic phone scam to immediately bring new echo-havers to her side. even running at like 5% power isn't much of an issue, since Elidibus showed it's possible to game the whole primal faith system to get quick power boosts, and i imagine it's not hard to get your hand on a supply of faith and aether when you have an entire planet named after you. finally the story is now going into curing tempering, which can now address issues like the wol being tempered by Hydaelin.

most importantly, ff14 is a video game and fighting Hydaelin would be pretty cool

Maybe we don't fight either of them because they do the Fusion Dance and we have to fight Hydadark instead (Or Zodilyn if they use the Potara)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

All I know is that whatever super weapon ends up being a plot device, I hope it's in a glass case labeled "Break Glass in Case of God"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Seems like the biggest (only?) thing is that we inherited his penchant for meddling.
Like, that's it.

Azem liked being a Big drat Hero, and the WoL does the same.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Y'know, it'd be interesting if other people's Job Crystals came up as a plot point.

I mean, it's canon that we aren't the only person with them, though some are less widely available than others. It'd be interesting to see Thancred swap back to Rogue or Urianger bring back his Amber Carbuncle for some purpose or another.

Edit: Yeah, yeah, Rogue and Arcanist don't use job stones. You know what I mean.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

thetoughestbean posted:

I have a dumb fanfic idea where the WoL accidentally loses the machinist jobstone and because it’s blank it didn’t just get machinist abilities, it got concentrated WoL-ness and now whoops, some fucker picked it up and now has access to the most of the WoL toolkit. Shenanigans ensue

Thing is, I think with the exception of the Machinist stone, all of the job stones have all of the skills.
Like, the RDM stone has VerFlare and Scorch and all that good poo poo, it just doesn't give you access to it until you've got the proper level of skill.
So even if some rando did grab the WoL's MCH stone, it isn't like they'd be dropping Air Anchors and Punch Bots right off the bat. They'd still need to grind up to 80 themselves

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

I might be a little wrong on this, but I believe he does confirm if you talk to him after 5.3 that he's back at 7 but with the experience of everything that came before.

So basically like a 7.5
His soul is denser, but not as dense as it would be from a "proper" rejoining.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

All this talk of souls makes me wonder if Gerolt came pre-loaded with other versions of himself already, considering that he's been second only to the literal god of blacksmiths since day 1.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think a lot of it has to do with the template that the summoners use.

Consider: The Sahagin. Their whole thing is to expand their breeding grounds and what have you. When they summon Leviathan, it's for the purpose of expanding their territories. So when they temper people, they become enslaved to the idea of helping the Sahagin expand their reach.

The Amaalja are in a similar boat. They're a conqueror culture and worship him Ifrit as their war god. As such, when they summon Ifrit, his main goal is to enslave others to serve him.

When the Ascians summoned Big Z, their template was "Oh gently caress, reality is coming to a screeching halt, we need to save our world and our people."
So, when they got Tempered, they were more or less told to do the thing they were already planning on doing anyways - Try to save their poo poo.

Plus, the Ascians had a better instruction manual for summoning. They probably tweaked/watered down the ritual that they gave the Beast Tribes specifically in order to make them a lot more Temper happy in order to stir the pot.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A big point in ARR was that Garlemald was in the middle of a succession war which is why we got lucky and only had to deal with the 14th Legion instead of a more concentrated effort.

And yeah, Varis never declared Zenos as his heir. He didn't want him anywhere near the reins of power, seeing him as nothing but a monster and a freak.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like if we've beaten the Biggest Baddest ascians, the only way to make the remaining ones an adequate challenge (after Fancy Dan who is buddying up with a different ridiculously powerful individual) is to have them work against us in a more concerted effort. The final boss of that plotline could be them for the first time making an Ascian Prime out of more than two. And by "more than two", I mean "all of the ones that aren't already dead".

I think their current tactic is throwing an Ascian at us who literally has nothing to lose.

Up to this point, the ones in charge had a goal that required certain steps: Namely bring about enough Rejoinings to resummon Zodiark and bring back all of their dead friends and family. They had to base their actions around the completion of that plan.

Fandango, on the other hand, wants to die and take everything with him. It gives him way more leeway to work with and makes him more dangerous, since he's not trying to accomplish anything other than Rocks Fall Everyone Dies. There's no situation that might force him to pull a punch like with Emet or Elidibus.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

See, I was thinking of the 80-90 crafters too, but I was thinking 'Helmarut has decided to use ancient magics to score a monopoly on literally every single possible crafting sector', and it's up to you to beat his unbeatable quantity with unbeatable quality.

Basically we make an entire questline out of that Spongebob scene where he has a cookoff with King Neptune.

Didn't we already do the the whole "quality > quantity" story with the 50-60 Leatherworking quest though?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

its midgardsormr's spaceship he came to the source on

Pretty sure that Middy didn't need a ship.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Now all I'm picturing is Nyancat, except it's Middy

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Chillgamesh posted:

I think it would open with a solo duty against Scarmiglione, then a trial against Cagnazzo, then another trial against Barbariccia, then a solo against Rubicante, and the last trial boss would be Geryon from TAY

is the e in Rubicante silent or does his name rhyme with picante

If we fight the Four Fiends, then I could see the Giant of Babel factoring into it somehow.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, I can't imagine a scenario where Lahabrea actually returns in the Present tense. Maybe OnlyFans is using some of his old research or something and that's what explains the towers, and we figure that out through some Laha-centric Echo flashbacks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think hers was closer to bitter resignation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Echo is what makes the WoL immune to tempering. It's the Blessing of Light that makes the WoL roll all attacks with advantage against Primals and whatever else Hydaelyn decides is a threat worthy of her buffing us to take out.
WoL absolutely is Eorzean Superperson, but only in select situations. Otherwise, yeah, they're just a highly skilled adventurer.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Eopia posted:

The echo has exactly zero combat utility.

Tell that to Fordola.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think that we would know if we were Tempered. I think you're consciously aware of it, it's just a matter of whether or not one of your side effects is turning into a zealot like the ARR primal worshippers.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, and that was just to fight Ultima Weapon and some chump primals. I could definitely see Hydaelyn straight up killing herself to power us up to fight Zodiark directly. Which would succeed in getting rid of both gods of the planet without a contrived "crystal mom was evil the whole time!!!" twist if they wanted to go that route.

Agreed. Hydaelyn has pretty much been up against the ropes since the day we stepped off of the chocobo carriage/ship.
She's basically been losing a war of attrition against the Ascians since the Sundering and the final nail is getting lined up on her coffin.

Her sacrificing herself in a big Hail Mary play so we can finish off Zodiark would track as a thing that could happen.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Non-Evil Primals have been seen before. Ramuh was one, since his myth involved being wise the Sylphs made him so when they summoned him, and he was aware of what was up, even if he was still driven to protect the Sylphlands from outsiders.

Plus Alexander who realized it was a threat to the planet and orchestrated it's own defeat.

Hell, even Susano-O wasn't malevolent, he was just a big fighty partyboi.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

We've clashed with what could be considered 'good primals' before, but honestly, they've all had their own agendas that they were 'heroes' of in their own world. Ramuh was the Sylphs' wise and diplomatic leader (because they knew they needed one), Alexander recognized its own danger. Lakshmi's an interesting one in that she's essentially a goddess of love and harmony, it's just... love and harmony on someone else's terms. But that's still an extreme minority, and in all cases, ones where circumstances put us against them anyway.

Hydaelyn's interesting as a primal because her presence has been actively helpful, and she specifically wants us to succeed. She's also, as I've mentioned, the only primal we've ever crossed paths with with a completable goal; Ramuh wanted to be an (indefinite) leader, Ifrit wanted unparalleled destruction, Susano just wanted a good goddamn time, all those are goals they'll never really attain, because there's always more time to rule, more poo poo to burn, more party to be had. But Hydaelyn's only task is to kill Zodiark, and there's only ONE Zodiark. Hydaelyn's the only primal that can actually win and then call it a day.

And I want to see what happens when a primal is just... done.

Depends on how self-aware the writers decide she is I suppose.
If she's ultimately a construct, albeit an ancient and intelligent one, then she might just be all "Beep boop, Zodiark = Dead, time to shut down."
You could conceivably go with the "I don't want to die" angle, or the "I'm so tired and ready to rest." angle.

Plus, I'm curious about what all of that aether is going to do to the planet. I mean, Primal dies, the aether used to summon them returns to the planet. But that's always been on a fairly small scale, Bahamut being the biggest example but also skewed because of Allagan tech keeping him from actually vanishing all the way initially.

Hydaelyn and Zodiark are magnitudes larger and more aether stuffed than Bahamut ever was, even in any reduced or weakened state they may be in. Plus they were summoned using the Full Ritual instead of the watered down one the Ascians gave the beast tribes in order to stir poo poo.

It's going to be an incalculable infusion of ancient aether being returned to the planet that will probably make what happened to the Thirteenth look like a glass of spilled milk by comparison.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gearhead posted:

Imagine a world transformed drastically by something WONDERFUL happening instead of something horrible, for a change?

It's a possibility that's what happens. You've got Hydaelyn and Zodiark as two opposing forces, so unlike the First/Thirteenth there shouldn't necessarily be a massive overload of one Aspect over the other.

But at the same time, it's a lot of aether generated from pre-Sundering constructs, so SOMETHING is bound to happen.

Maybe it'll be a True Rejoining that doesn't involve destroying one world and causing global calamities on the Source, so the Convocation's mission is also completed but in a happy way.
Hell, the rest of the ancients might get rezzed into a less godlike form so that Emet and friend's dream of restoring their people happens too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zeruel posted:

what if hydaelyn was evil, but she tells you that she only pretended to be evil so your friends wouldn't feel bad killing her because like all primals, her being alive sucks the aether out or something.

pack it, ship it, goty2021

G'raha tried that after you beat Vauthry and literally nobody believed it then either.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mordiceius posted:

Was just thinking about the Ardbert/Seto reunion in 5.3. I don’t think anything in this game has made me break harder than that cutscene. Just rewatched it and it broke me all over again.

Same.

That and the scene where Sin Eaters are attacking and he tries to fight one only to ghost right through it and he's forced to watch people get killed because he's powerless to do anything.

I legit got teary eyed just remembering that scene, and very vividly remember yelling at my computer "Do it! loving let him hit that thing!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

For real. Read the short story. He mostly lays around and barely has the strength to fly himself.

Just level your everythings to 80 and get a young one that's willing to put up with you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

I'm honestly surprised the Heart of Sabik hasn't come up in the Weapon questlines. You'd think it would've been a big deal, at least as a design struggle to overcome, how to replace something like THAT.

Hell, wouldn't the Ascians be the only ones who DO understand how it works?
Granted that's assuming they were the ones who made it and it wasn't something the Allagans salvaged when Middy and Omega crashed onto the planet.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SirSamVimes posted:

He is genocidal specifically against "beast" tribes.

Gaius is/was a jackass, but his problem with the Beast Tribes is that they were prone to summoning Primals, and Garlemald had a very anti-Eikon stance.
Part of their reason for wanting to conquer the world was because if everywhere was Garlemald, then folks wouldn't be trying to summon primals all the time because all of the fascism would stomp out the attempts and make the knowledge lost and forgotten.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No.

I did hear someone's theory that live or die in Endwalker, a lot of the A Team scions might retire out the party, and let more of the B Teamers or take front roles in what comes next.

I just don't see that happening from a gameplay perspective, because they're not going to take out the Fan Favorite longtime "party members" who they just finished coding into Trusts not all that long ago.

Like, plot-wise, maybe they'll start getting back to their Academic routes and being all "Yeah, I researched a ton of stuff and wrote a few theses on this thing we're dealing with." , but they're still going to be down for fieldwork in dungeons.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, the story doesn't try to hide the fact that the internal politics of the city states are causing just as much trouble and are pretty much directly responsible for the additional trouble of Primals being summoned left and right.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

apostateCourier posted:

Apparently the Diamond Weapon fight is a capture mission. Bet you anything it doesn't go oversoul outside of the EX.

I bet it does, just with a different pilot.
Or maybe Creepy Rapeface makes an Oversoul that doesn't require a Gundam to initiate and he becomes the second phase of the fight.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So my brother finally made his way into Shadowbringers and was recently introduced to Ranjit.

He hates characters with bullshit plot armor, so watching him rage about that goddamn old man has been pretty amusing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zenos couldn't have gotten the Resonance treatment until after Fordola because the tech literally didn't exist until they kidnapped Krile and hit CTRL-C/CTRL-V on her Echo in order to finish programming the Echo Giver 3000

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

"You have spirit bonded with literally countless pieces of arms and armor, and then you just sell it. Hell, we even started collecting your old fishing poles."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

Urianger's problem is that he'd just found his place as the Scions' resident endearingly dorky nerd, and then a much more archetypal endearingly dorky nerd joined the team.

Yeah but I think they're angling towards Graha being more of a fanboy nerd, whereas Urianger is still the Book Nerd.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, I'd be alright with more Trust NPCs, and I don't even use Trusts 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

stev posted:

Should've killed Urianger instead.

Honestly though, at that point in the game, he was less of a character than she was.

Thancred and Y'shtola were the only two Archons who really did anything at that point.
Papalymo and Yda were the bickering comedy relief duo, and Urianger was "exposition dump, but make it Shakespearean."

I honestly think him dying then would have had way less impact, other than however well they had Moenbryda sell her grief.