Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

The WoL has a few special powers that mostly grant well-defined minor boons. Like being immune to tempering, etc. Even the fact that we're the sundered soul of Azem I don't think has really mattered for our power level other than being able to use their soulstone without needing to train or practice like we do with the job stones

most of the wol's power level is just being frighteningly, monstrously good at killing things. The best at it, really, after dethroning former murder champ Zenos Yae Galvus

I suppose you can make the argument that the WoL ability to inspire and gather companions came from Azem, but I think that is more a parallel and a natural consequence at being really good at adventuring, which Azem himself was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be honest

I was half expecting that when you arrive with the spirit vessels in the Source, the WoL would suddenly realize they forgot to label them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly Y'shtola, Thancred, and Urianger have not had any meaningful representation since the end of 2.X, so I am fine with the focus on them for Shadowbringers. But Alphinaud and Alisaie also had great moments as well.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 13, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think his essence is effectively dispersed enough to make him effectively dead.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mister Olympus posted:

It gets covered in the same patch that conveniently introduces the question of gathering lizards and frogs from the first and bringing them back to the source for ishgard restoration - even if it's a living thing, if you think of it as "your possession," it is treated like an object and comes out intact

e: Though I suppose this also breaches the question of the auspices, right? Let alone the tupaq amaro? Is the process of ensoulment a gradual thing like with their consciousness?

This also gets commented on by Bragi in the first where he figures out that the weird out of place stuff that goes through the markets from time to time is you selling off your stuff from the Source, and tells you to keep doing it as it makes things interesting.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

YES bread posted:

can't believe the WoL honest-to-god punched a baby. maybe we were the real [jet black villains] all along...

Shadowbringers: Wherein You Beat Up an Old Man and a Child

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chillgamesh posted:

I mean if the Ironworks can make a Gundam they can probably make the Magitek equivalent of an ice machine

Could totally see Thancred losing a limb or being grievously wounded and becoming magitek robocop though.

Final Fantasy Rising: Revengence

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hardly think Fandaniel will take down the WoL but given that this is the last expansion of the current storyline and he has a Zenos, he is sure as heck not going to make it easy for us.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do not really understand the part of the FFXIV fandom that is expecting Hydaelyn to suddenly go "TIME FOR THE KILLING! BWA HA HA! SUCKERS!" any day now.

I mean, yes, it is obvious that she has not and is not telling us everything. For example, her being a Primal and the disturbing implications that come from that, and I am sure we are going to explore that soon. But she had given no other indication of working against our own interests, cosmically speaking.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Because Hydaelyn and Zodiark echo Altana and Promathia from FFXI, and Altana was just as evil as the evil god Promathia.

So you are expecting them to use the same plot twist twice?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Has Zodiark actually done anything yet? I get that the Ascian's are acting on behalf of him and the rejoinings/calamities are to rebuild him, but has he actually done anything?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was talking more about what if anything has Zodiark has done to us but in any case.

multijoe posted:

Hydaelyn has already killed untold millions of people, it was the very reason she was created.

She's clearly not evil or malicious, but as Shadowbringers exhaustively established everyone is the hero of their own story and her good intentions dont change the fact that she eradicated the entire original civilisation of the Ascians in creating its reflections.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Presumably phase 1 was complete, which was to rewrite the laws of existence to stop whatever was causing the end days for the ancients. Life was restored to the planet.

They just never got around to sacrificing other creatures to return the Amaroutians.

I thought that Amarot was all but destroyed then Zodiark sucked up whatever was left. Hydaelyn did make the killing bow through the sundering, but it was arguably in service to the new life over an old civilization that is all but dead and gone.

I mean yeah it sounds bad when you hear Emet Selch talk about it, but while he is probably not lying, like Hydaelyn herself, he is probably not telling us everything either.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 18, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally, I think there is more we do not know about Hydaelyn and Zodiark that would color things in for both, and I am willing to wait and see. Like I said, there is going to be a big reckoning about Hydaelyn being a primal, I think.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
what the actual hell did I just watch

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have a question about Ascians, specifically Sundered Ascians: How are they 'made'? As understand it, basically the unsundered Ascians would gather up what they could find of the Sundered Ascians soul, then find someone on one of the shards that carried a bit of the soul of that Ascian, then they would 'ascend' them into becoming that Ascian. Is that the right of it, or am I missing or misunderstanding something?

I have a bit of a theory regarding Fandaniel regarding that, but I want to check if I am right in my assumptions.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

EVIL Gibson posted:

has anyone theorycrafted what the giant scabbard thing is in Endwalker Trailer?

1. Old allagan technology equivalent to the bahumet battery moon. A ship the size of the moon ramping up to ramming speed into the star/source/planet's crust
  2. the expansion's explanation of how you get there. I don't think this is it since the art in the title is always, at least partially significant to the story.
  3. a more refined staging platform you see for the nether beasts as you see floating all around during the latter part of the Amurout.
  4. The final fight is just a space giant the size of the planet and that is actually just the giant's scabbard.

and you control the moon

I was thinking it was an Allagan Somethingorother that would take us to the moon. My theory is that it is a relatively intact piece of Dalamud engineered into a makeshift spaceship.

Anyway, Happy Earth Wind And Fire Day from FF14!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOtyNI03m3U

:unsmigghh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Who is Venat? Is that the woman shown on the Endwalker art and the stinger for 5.55?

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I feel like Fourchenault Leveilleur is not completely standing with Sharlayan. I don't know if he is actually on your side or if he has plans of his own, but going to Eorezea to not only personally strike down a petition, but also loudly and publicly disown is children when they dare disagree with them? It feels like a bit of performance art in order to underline and underscore that something is Up with Sharlayan.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

sexpig by night posted:

words can't describe how much I adore gunbreaker lore for exactly this nonsense.

'ah gunblades, so they're named that because they're guns with blades'

'no no, it's because the users were the elite guards of the queen, Gunhilda, they were her blades you see'

'oh...okay...weird but yea...Wait but Garleans use them too?'

'oh they call them that because they are guns with blades, which is because they're imitations of the originals and came after the gunblades'

'gently caress you'

I read this as two loporrits having this conversation and it is hilarious.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 29, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know that Emet Selch mentioned plenty of other places on Etheryis (Not that I am taking that as a guarantee) but I hope that if we do go cosmic again that the Moon would be used as a forward base.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to confirm something: I know that the same VA voices Amon and Hermes, but did it seem like he was switching between the character voices in the cutscene after the Aitiascope? If so then I feel that was really neat in context of that character.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
A restaurant cafe at the end of the universe. God damnit Ishikawa.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tunzie posted:

Dude had hang-ups over how their society treated the life they created, and didn't feel he could talk about it to anyone and be taken seriously (the ancients needed to invent therapy)

I think Emet Selch saw this and legitimately wanted to help him: joining the convocation would have allowed him a set of equals to talk to about his hang ups, and possibly put him into a position to actually things.

Unfortunately, this and everything around it was handled in the most Emet Selch way: it ultimately enforces the status quo and his approach was with the level of his usual emotional honesty, which is to say none at all to the point of having a violent allergic reaction if actually confronted by it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Valentin posted:

this is the whole point of going to the First and having them go "oh you're dealing with Final Days? weird we're just vibing." the status of the other shards is incredibly nebulous but the story indicates, to the extent it indicates anything, that the sundered shards are dimensionally beyond Meteion's reach for whatever reason, the same way Midgardsormr landed specifically on the Source and not one of the reflections.

I thought that the Watcher said that if the Source falls to the final days, the Shards will be soon to follow.

Anyway, the Moon evacuation plan I felt may have been a consequence of the whole thing being a Hail Mary in the first place: An imperfect plan by an imperfect goddess (Hydalyne and Zodiark are both by nature imperfect because they were created by imperfect beings, another thing the Watcher said) who was struggling to keep the lights on, so to speak, keeping Zodiark sealed. It wasn't meant to save everyone, just as many people as possible as a fallback if the WoL did not end up appearing to her due to the vagueness of time travel.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jetrauben posted:

See here's the thing: Ishikawa pointedly gives every one an answer they want re: the Sundering, whether Venat or Emet is Best Girl, etc:

"You're all right."

Yes the Sundering is a horrifying extreme act BUT yes the Ancient world was a good place of good people, it just wasn't intact or easily recoverable any more.

Yes, the Ancients loved life, but also yes, their trauma blinded them to that love.

Yes, Emet (and Venat) are both complicit in mass death and destruction AND fundamentally good, loving people who do what they do because they care so much about those around them and want the world to be better.

Even Hermes, the dumbass who started the whole thing, is textually a "gentle soul" who is treated with pity and hope in his final scene that next time he will do better and you will find the answer together he wanted so badly.

Endwalker says that these (and most of the FF14 cast) are basically good people by nature led astray by circumstances who deserved better than they got, struggled hard to get a world they loved, and whose lives were a mixture of crime and charity. And who deserve a new, fresh start. (Even Emet, as Solus, is implied to have genuinely pitied the luckless Garleans freezing at the edge of the world and genuinely made their lives better.)

Emet's whole "I still don't admit I was wrong" is counteracted by literally every other line that scene, for crying out loud.

The end of 14 is the various Ancients walking together to a new life "with new parts for all to play" for a reason.

The closest thing to a true genuinely malevolent Big Bad responsible for it all in Endwalker is the souls filled with hatred and resentment from their own worlds' deaths poisoning Meteion, and their worlds are conveniently largely uncharacterized.

FWIW I think this is well put.

FeatherFloat posted:

Because the writers aren't the kind of people that get all tied in knots about time travel inconsistencies? I know I really don't care all that much. I think FFXIV did pretty okay for what it was trying to do. It is not so much concerned with tight causality that the giant pile of nerdy fans will pick apart, it just wants to tell a cool story.

Also c'mon, the Sharlayans are a bunch of isolationist dipshits, so for narrative purposes it doesn't much matter. Maybe in some kind of theoretical No Crystal Exarch Plan timeline mess we instead put Fourchenault in a headlock and have the Sharlayan time experts punt us into the past. Who knows! I can write all kinds of fanficcy premises. For all that FFXIV does try and deliver a somewhat grounded story that makes mostly consistent internal sense they are happy to throw that out the window when they wanna do something neat.

[InsufferableNerd]I think the thing was with that is that it was explicitly the First that they needed to go back in time in and save in order to prevent that cascading into a calamity on the First, so its time travel plus crossing worlds[/InsufferableNerd]

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lord_Magmar posted:

Vrtra’s is a soul so gentle that he cannot bear to harm the monsters his myriad children have become and it absolutely earns that with the way he’s presented in every meeting with him.

One thing I liked about Vrtra is that unlike his siblings, he talks to men in their language instead of using Dragonspeak. We only see that with Midgardsomr (I do not know if that is only out of respect to the WoL) and it kind of shows that he places himself on mankinds own level.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

stories can have tension even if you know the good guys are gonna win. for instance you know they can resurrect krillin with the dragon balls but its still ftw when frieza blows krillin up and goku goes super saiyan.

I mean, even though I knew that they will eventually be alright (and literally were, not 10 minutes afterwards), my reaction to the twins stepping up to the sacrifice conga line was still "NO! NO! N-O! NO!!"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Personally I felt EW stuck the landing, though ShB was more consistently good. I am still up for the next installment of Natsuko Ishikawa's Wild Ride, if they still have her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lord_Magmar posted:

There was very little bad faith arguing if any, differences of opinions are fine and everyone was willing to be told they had misinterpreted part of the story or were talking about their own opinions and experiences with no expectation of it being an objective truth.

Speaking from someone who has dealt with (and threadbanned) actual bad faith posters from the WoW Lore Thread. This was indeed uncalled for.

Nthing this. I mean, there has been sniping here and there but things have been no worse than a book club discussion.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jetrauben posted:

Spite.

Varis made the Solus clones so he could say gently caress YOU GRANDDAD by metaphorically desecrating his grandfather's body again and again and again.

I probably should read that ES short story sometime, but I got the feeling that Varis, on some level, admired his Grandfather (in a weird, pathetic, more-issues-than-time-magazine type of way). Like when he was talking about the ancients in the scene with the alliance leaders, he seemed kind of wistful.

Or he kept clones around so he could shoot his grandpa over and over again, like the first scene ES was introduced.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

Hell, they seem to have changed what the Echo does again for Endwalker and moved some of its functions onto the Blessing of Light.

I thought they established that the Echo was separate from the Blessing of Light during 5.1 or 5.2.

Basically, if you have the Echo, by way of ancient memory awakening due to seeing a starshower, you can hear Hydaelyn, and she gives the Blessing of Light to basically everyone who can hear her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I started with Labyrinthos which I feel was a mistake; I think it would have been better after Thanavir as a pallet cleanser.

Also, Masaya Running through the Jungle with the Baby is probably this expansions Ardbert in the Battle moment.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Terper posted:

Asahi owns because when we talk to Fandaniel, History's Greatest Fuckup who managed to cause the same Universe-spanning cataclysm, twice, without even knowing he was responsible for the first one, our goodbye is one of heartfelt sympathy and words of encouragement, and when we say goodbye to Asahi, whose biggest crime is fashion, we say "gently caress off, loser"

Also being an unrepentant abuser.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 1, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure it's everything to do with Yotsuyu/Tsuyu and her memories. But also being an absolute assmad loser about Zenos' death.

Everything aside, I still really like the scene where, after an entire segment where they go Is He or Isn't He Evil, he just gleefully goes mask off right in your face.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like that Limit Breaks have been canonized into you using Dynamis.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

CJ posted:

Can't wait for 7.0 to find out what the enmity meter is really about.

The tank is making constant Yo Mama jokes to their target while their tank stance is up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do wonder what they will do, if anything, about the big cloud of Zodiark funk wafting out of the place he was sealed.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
*Enters thread, sees it's the same argument with the same person. Leaves*

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Late to the Party, but: Matsya is good and my friend, but it is cool if you did not think much of him or That Scene.

Ya'll think the Arkasodara are seriously giving the adventurers in the Elephant suit getup some serious side eye?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ibblebibble posted:

Nah, they made it for people who do great deeds for them. Estinien has a line about it in the wrap-up party scene.

My hosed up opinion: I liked Stormblood's story more than Heavensward, both base and including patches.

Hot take :Stormblood has its issues but it does not deserve the level of cartoon hatred it gets in the main thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

I mean, his whole "we have to try to save Estinien because everyone else has already given up." is one of my favourite lines in the game. That is a guy who has seen his idealism fail in the worst possible way and decided he's gonna do it anyway but with his eyes open this time.

Alph going from "Thinks he is the smartest man in the room" to "Long suffering but staunch idealist and optimist" is a great development for him.