Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

Router: TP-LINK AC1200 Archer C50

Oysters Autobio posted:

And here's the second:

Interestingly the speed is showing as 100mpbs, so I wonder if its being throttled or limited somehow?

The Archer C50 has four fast ethernet ports which max out at 100Mbps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

You've gotta be kidding me, I knew it would be something stupid like this. The router has faster speeds on WiFi than it does on ethernet???? What? Why?

Suppliers probably have a surplus of 10/100 Ethernet stuff that they want to get rid of before they become really, really obsolete. 100Mbps is still plenty for lots of people.

Network architecture has become so discordant that a user could find themselves in this scenario in 2020:

Cable: Cat6 = 10Gbps
Computer: Gigabit Ethernet Router = 1Gbps
Router: 10/100 Fast Ethernet = 100 Mbps
ISP: 5 Mbps

Basically it's about money.

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I guess a new router is what's needed here, or can I use a switch to connect both the router and a direct ethernet?

The only thing still odd is that I connected the ethernet straight from the modem as well and still got slow speeds, but when I did the same on my laptop I got my maximum 300mpbs.

Yea, you'll want to get a gigabit router. Connecting a basic switch directly to a modem won't do anything.

As far as the discrepancy between the computer and laptop speeds I'd try connecting both devices through the gigabit router and see if they still both get different results. If they do then I recommend using iPerf https://iperf.fr/. You can use that program to test upload/download speeds between devices on your private network to narrow the issue down more and determine if the ISP is throttling the computer somehow or if the computer also has the issue within your network itself.

PS iPerf isn't the easiest program to use so you'll need to read the documentation closely or ask questions here.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 21, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How long is that flat CAT6 cable that's being used? And is it near anything that could cause interference (other electronics etc.)

Oysters Autobio posted:

I think now when I was getting those really fast speeds on my laptop when directly connected to my modem was because I was doing this with my laptop sitting right next to it, with a different cable.

Sounds plausible.

Oysters Autobio posted:

So, if this is in fact the reason, (1) how do I troubleshoot to confirm this, and (2) if the results of those troubleshoots confirm it, how do I fix it?

Using a normal CAT6 cable would be the quickest thing to try.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Additionally, is distance on a coaxial cable something to worry about?

It can be. It depends on the age and type of cable and how it's terminated and split etc. The only way to be sure about that would be to have the cable company test the signal strength where the modem is located.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Should I consider having my router and modem just next to my PC tower? This would also mean the main WIFI is coming out of the 2nd bedroom instead of the dining room, so I'd have to do an AP into the living room and / or get into the whole mesh router thing (which I already was considering to replace my current WiFi extender that goes to our backyard).

It might fix the issue but the best design is normally to have the WiFi coming out at the most central location.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ten feet isn't long at all but it never hurts to try another cable.