Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Spartakus, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and Belle and Sebastian were so endlessly fascinating to me that they were basically the only shows that could be on that would keep me from just watching my tapes of the Goonies or Ghostbusters over and over. French-Japanese animation collaborations are clearly something that need to return. Here is where I find our they are not French-Japanese

Spinz posted:

Sweet
A dating thread for me
FINALLY
You seem pretty awesome, we can get together and watch Mysterious Cities of Gold and drink Ecto-Cooler. And eat... Taco-flavored Doritos? And sandwiches on Roman Meal bread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Snowy posted:

Only fellow old people remember Mummenschantz. Swiss surrealist mime for kids has never been the same
Thanks for reminding me to promote this Mummenschantz-related video, another excellent example of "sometimes one-hit wonders have other songs that are as good or better!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sl5mm91qUI

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Less time passed between "Disco Inferno" and Cypress Hill than between the World Trade Center's destruction and Trump being elected.

The four most noteworthy events in American history

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

sharknado slashfic posted:

I do agree that the 2000s were the worst decade, widespread internet was a mistake
I miss the era when I would just not bring up things that happened online because I knew it might be impossible to explain to whoever I was talking to what "online" even was.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dracky posted:

There's a lot of full episodes of old cartoons on youtube. I started watching ones from the late 80's, when I would have been too young to really understand anything but would still have hazy memories of those cartoons or ones like them. Not even good ones I might be interested in the story but lovely ones that tried to be hip for the time period. Like Popeye and Son or the New Archies or Yo Yogi. I turn them on mute and put some music on, and just watch the shapes and colors move around, cartoons running around a mall or surfing or playing baseball or whatever. I feel like a warm hazy glow of just being there as a kid while stuff happened around me. I had older cousins who had toys from the earlier 80's, it reminds me of playing with them in the backyard, going to the park, watching them play street hockey. It reminds me of a time where all the family was together, and we would do things, go on trips, celebrate holidays.
I live by myself now. My cousins all got married and moved away. My uncle died, my grandpa died, my grandma is in a care home with dementia. I call my mom every week, she barely leaves the house any more these days.
Sometimes I like to mentally go back in time for a bit. Maybe it means I'm not all right inside but you know. That's just how it is right now
Well besides that I want to give you a hug, Dracky, I pretty much hear you completely. I have four monitors in my absurd nerd cave setup and the one on the wall on the other side of the room is exclusively for background video nonsense; I usually watch YouTube retrogaming people or other niche interest videos, but sometimes do watch exactly the kind of thing you describe there (though I usually just have the volume on at a low level), or late 1980s/early 1990s professional wrestling since that was the only time I watched it as a little kid, or even straight-up compilations of commercials from whatever era I was likely to have been playing with action figures in the living room while my still-living mother and childhood pet cat meandered merrily about. It seems to me as long as you are also capable of finding happiness doing other things, too, that there is no real harm to this.

Tip posted:

It's burned into my brain because I ending up using it in my "audio show", basically a podcast before they existed.

12-year-old me would download a bunch of WAVs from chat rooms and websites and then write a script around them, and edit it all together in Cool Edit Pro. I called it "The Late Late at Night Show", and it was just a straight up late night format show. I'd do an opening monologue, do some crowd stuff, have a celebrity interview (cut together with clips of them), and a musical guest.
Well that is all pretty rad, congratulations. Now why are you not doing similar things in 2020, is the question?

My friends and I would fill entire blank tapes with stream-of-consciousness improv "comedy" or snippets of songs played from other sources or whatever, and I think if we had been about ten years younger doing the exact same thing would have resulted in a permanent Internet record of our incredibly uninteresting ideas. A blessing and a curse.