Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Not the OP, obviously, but there are at least two problems that come to mind with knocking a place down (make that 3):

1. Where do you live?
2. Getting a building permit in your jurisdiction and all of the related legal mess with a knock down and rebuild.
3. Your mortgage company won't like not having an asset to sell when you default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I know you're the electrician and all but I'm going to disagree and say that the nylon plates are nice and worth it for an old house. I'd rather have a slight deformation so the edges sit flush than a cracked plate or one with an edge gap and I'm not going to redo the entire wall to make it flat. But that's just like my PO-ish opinion man.

Your framing/windows look nice!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

cumpee is stored in the latex paint balls

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Old growth true dimensional 2x6's maybe? IANAE

Interesting stuff, my guess is that if you asked a structural engineer now they'd have you put some structural walls in at some point(s) of the span. What are you thinking about doing, if anything?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Each footer's 24x24x18, with a #4 rebar cube in the middle, about 800lbs a piece, each one will get a 4x6 post.
that sounds solid, probably could secure 2 motorcycles with it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Last night I pinched a nerve in my shoulder, and my arm's been dead all day, so I didn't get into more gutting/construction like I wanted.

I, more frequently than I'd like, hit up Dr Jo on youtube for stretching out the latest weird part of my body to have issues. There are like real life doctors and physical therapy of course but ~pandemic~

Good luck getting back to the grind.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I love seeing shiny copper pipes on instagram but as a practical matter PEX does seem to be the new standard and certainly if I ever gently caress with plumbing beyond some under sink bits it'll be PEX.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Puncture wounds are the grossest kind for sure. Nice wall though!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What dimmer switches are you going to use? I've got some Leviton ones (only wired in one so far) and the wall switch has a nice form factor IMO and I haven't had any problems with the phone app either (although they recently made a UI change that makes adjusting the dimmer take longer to access).

Dissolvable stitches or do you need to have them removed later? I have fond memories as a child rehabbing my thumb in warm salt water after the tip almost got severed in a door.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah you've done an insane amount of work, very impressive from my position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

quote:

unfortunately they missed the house.
Thought I mis-read this at first and then I remembered what thread I was in.

Deck looks nice, so does that headboard. Have fun relaxing in the snow on your break from sub life.