Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

James, light of my life, adorable, lovely, affectionate bag of cuddles, gets dry food every morning at ~8-9am and wet food at 6pm sharp every evening. It's been that way for years.

Between 5 and 6, sometimes even as early as 4, he YELLS for dinner. Meows and meows and meows, loudly. This is starting to become a real problem when I have to work past 5 because he's breaking my concentration. Other than that, it's just REALLY aggravating.

Yelling at him doesn't work. Ignoring him doesn't work. I've tried setting an alarm on my phone for 6pm, putting it in the kitchen, and simply ignoring him until it goes off - the idea being that he'd associate this other thing somewhere else with "food time". Doesn't work either.

To complicate matters, he has a brother, Wolfgang, who is very sweet and polite and only sometimes cries for early dinner. But I also have to watch them when they eat, or else James shoves Wolfgang aside and eats his dinner too (after he's devoured his own dinner).

How on earth can I get my greedy little bastard to shut up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Treat/puzzle ball. When my fluff monster starts gabbing a lot but Im busy or whatever I put like 5 pieces of kibble in the ball and roll it away. Seems to satisfy her for an hour before actual meal time.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, worth a shot! I've just ordered a treat dispensing ball now. Thanks

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lol.

So, today I received this thing in the mail https://www.petcircle.com.au/product/rogz-treat-dispenser-tumbler-orange/

He started up about 45 minutes ago, so I’ve taken it for a spin.

He sniffed at it a bit, tried to shove his face through the tiny hole, and has given up and gone back to yelling at me. 🤦🏻

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

The perfect counter argument, coming right up.
Sounds like he needs kitty second breakfast. I personally am the type to just leave a bowl of dry food out at all times. Maybe that is bad. None of my cats are fat cats.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BobTheVillain posted:

Sounds like he needs kitty second breakfast. I personally am the type to just leave a bowl of dry food out at all times. Maybe that is bad. None of my cats are fat cats.

If I do that, he'll end up a heckin' chonker. He will stuff himself. He's 5.1 kg as is, which the vet says is at the stage of "he's fine but don't let him get any bigger".

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
He might be yelling for more food because he's bored. Our cat tends to meow and pester us for food when he's bored and wants something to do. We occasionally hide treats around the apartment so he has something to hunt and it keeps him occupied for awhile.

How much do you play with James?

You can also try splitting the dry food into two meals, so it lasts longer throughout the day.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

big dyke energy posted:

He might be yelling for more food because he's bored. Our cat tends to meow and pester us for food when he's bored and wants something to do. We occasionally hide treats around the apartment so he has something to hunt and it keeps him occupied for awhile.

How much do you play with James?

Hm, maybe that's it. I don't really play with either of them that often, just cuddle. I figured they have each other for play, and there's lots of bits and pieces and toys and things. They do chase each other and wrestle pretty often.

I did just try playing with him for a bit. He stopped showing interest and, now that I've sat down at the computer, has gone back to meowing.

I have just ordered a rechargeable laser pointer, though, so we'll see how that goes when it gets here.

quote:

You can also try splitting the dry food into two meals, so it lasts longer throughout the day.
Maaaaaaybe...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
You should definitely try more active play with the both of them. If the cat loses interest right away, try and see if they might react more to different toys. My cat will sometimes only play after I smack him in the face with the peacock feather a few times and get him riled up.

I've only had a solo cat, so I'm not sure how it is when you have more than one. I just know since I started playing with my cat more before his meals, he's been waaay less of a pest.

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010

quote:

He stopped showing interest and, now that I've sat down at the computer, has gone back to meowing.
The toy may not have been stimulating enough. Sometimes I find my cat ignores a toy if it doesn't provide a challenge or a thrill.

quote:

I have just ordered a rechargeable laser pointer, though, so we'll see how that goes when it gets here.
Lasers are really good distractions for a cat but unfortunately they do not make good substitutes for a toy. Cats want to be challenged but they also want to win at the end of the day and catch whatever it is they've been chasing. They gain satisfaction from biting into it at the end of their hunt. Studies have shown that some cats will exhibit frustration at repeated failures in actually catching a laser. This lead to further behavioral problems.

Have you seen him bite furniture or chew on things around the house ? That's usually something cats do when they're bored

quote:

To complicate matters, he has a brother, Wolfgang, who is very sweet and polite and only sometimes cries for early dinner. But I also have to watch them when they eat, or else James shoves Wolfgang aside and eats his dinner too (after he's devoured his own dinner).
Have you considered a slow feeder for him ?

evilmaniac fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 20, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Holy crap, dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
My cat couldn't figure out the slow feeder for "cats" . I bought a dog one first to get him used to it