Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Posting because Sid bullied me. This is something I've been thinking about recently....

The origin of "goons" as the collective term for SA members goes back a long time, like 2004, 2005?. Per the Saclopedia:

[quote=""Lowtax"" post=""438269595""]
Awful Link of the Day owner came over here back when registration was open to anybody and made a thread in GBS calling all of us goons for putting mean words in her guestbook.
[/quote]

IIRC, the actual context was something like "you and your goons," or "Lowtax and his goons" or something like that. The implication is a "goon" is specifically a lackey of Lowtax, someone working his nefarious intent. Funny at the time, no so funny now.

I think most of us would prefer a collective term that doesn't have the implied allegiance to lowtax. What do you think would be better? I have some bad ideas:

Awfuls
Awfulites
SAPs - Something Awful Posters
The Chosen Ones

There, Sid, I de-lurked. Happy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Spinz posted:

Still it's cool, you've got some balls

It's nice to meet you!!!

Thanks, Spinz.

I've got some other thread ideas, might try another one tomorrow.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

other people posted:

15 years and this is the best thing you could come up with OP? smdh

I felt pressured. In retrospect, I should have made it a poll.

How about "goobers"?

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

A Grand Egg posted:

"The implication is a "goon" is specifically a lackey of Lowtax"

No its not

This is stupid

Im going to punch an elf

There's also the historic connotation with Nazis, goon being what the US GIs called German soldiers.

GI: "There's three jerrys by the bridge, Murph"

Murph: "Let's take out those fuckin' goons"

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

probably the best course of action, there doesn't seem to be much impetus to change.

Future netizens will tell tales of the Noble Goons who steadfastly held the line against internet stupidity. "Were you a Goon, daddy?" "Why yes, son, I was shitposting in GBS during the Tik-tok Wars of 2021....those were the days...."