Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is Reincarnation just Nightmare++ or is it more of an alternative mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Countblanc posted:

Is Reincarnation just Nightmare++ or is it more of an alternative mode?

Its mostly nightmare++ but you also get a dude at the very beginning who gives you a choice of strong buffs you can buy with the soul crystals or w/e. So you really want to be maxed out on levels before you try reincarnation otherwise you either wont be able to afford the buff or you slow yourself down on the talents

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pretty much Nightmare+ to ++++++++ depending on what level you play on. The spiritual blessings really open up build options and fun stuff, once you've maxed out the talent tree and beaten Nightmare there's no reason not to just play Reincarnation. The spiritual blessings are so strong though that Reincarnation 1 is by far easier than Nightmare, especially the early game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

double posting to say wow, Dog has a genuinely good dual wielding build now on Reincarnation! Weapon Genius is a pretty good spiritual blessing now.

Also checked the frame unlock requirements and they're kind of funny, they range from just playing a particular build to pray you get Easy Kill in Longling Tomb. They look pretty sick though.

also Tiger's frame requires you play Solo on Nightmare or Reincarnation and clear all 4 acts with only snipers/foundry. lol

edit: I just found out you can choose Curse scrolls for the peculiar chests that ask you to hand over "an occult scroll" in exchange for something else. :psyduck:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 30, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Evil Kit posted:

also Tiger's frame requires you play Solo on Nightmare or Reincarnation and clear all 4 acts with only snipers/foundry. lol

gently caress, I like just did this! I found an incredible Piercing Flame end of Longling Tomb and beat Pole Monarch with it!

Ah well, back to the Gunfire mines I go. :v:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What is this? Game update after post release? But the plan is to release a thing, then make it dead game afterwards... But apparently these guys missed this memo and are "prototyping" 2022 future plans, maybe something DLC.

2022 New-year Letter from Gunfire Studio

Hmm.

So what are you all hoping for in a 2022 Gunfire year?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

So you really want to be maxed out on levels before you try reincarnation otherwise you either wont be able to afford the buff or you slow yourself down on the talents

I started playing reincarnation at just around 100, and I think it's working out. You earn a LOT of soul, and the scrolls and soul-talents are REALLY strong, it feels easier to me than Nightmare and I'm making more cash with every run that I used to be

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Golden Goat posted:

I haven't maxed out the tree yet I'm about lv 126.

Maybe we should stick to elite for a bit then until we have more of the tree maxed out.

I went up in difficulty levels way before you're "supposed" to too, outside of the hero talents (definitely max those out ASAP for the hero you're playing) there's some must-gets that make it a lot easier on you. Being able to refresh the merchant, and the less elemental damage taken and the other survivability ones go a long way. Manipulation elemental fusion (shock + fire) is a massive help too, since enemies attacking eachother aren't attacking you.

Also I found the first stage to always be the hardest for me personally, cramped rooms, lots of traps, fucky elites (fu Elite Spearman when nobody has an acid weapon), and more crossbows than you can shake a stick at.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

We cleared the boat on nightmare.

I just got lucky with Lei Luo and got Hawkeye Sight and Penetration Bullet real early and built him around chaining Fatal Current. I got lazy at the end and used a talisman instead of a sniper rifle.

Partner was Tao and was just vomiting swords or something. Not sure what lead to that but it was liquifying bosses.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Golden Goat posted:

Partner was Tao and was just vomiting swords or something. Not sure what lead to that but it was liquifying bosses.

There's a build where whenever you hit anything with your blossoms (Q) it will summon (100/200/250)% of your current stacks of swords. Then if you get all three of the plus base/max stacks it can be summoning like 20 swords every Q cast. That's the build I aimed for when I first started out. I do think the weapon build is better at higher difficulties. The sword damage just doesn't scale well. It sort of will if you also get the sword crit and base damage talents, but that requires a lot of RNG luck to max the build. Then you also need at least one into the shields per sword and probably want one into the each sword causes the target to take more sword damage. Just too many necessary parts to make it a reliable end game build imo

I will say it is very satisfying for the thin level 2 archer/gun units, if you got lucky one Q will kill them. Fire and forget

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 2, 2022

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

imo you have play very carefully towards the end of act 1 in nightmare mode. Your build won't be online by that point and you probably have crappy weapons. It's better to just dink and dunk from behind a pillar against the later rooms with snipers and the shield guys unless you can take them out asap

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gotta agree, the longbow jerks are the biggest threat in tomb and just handing back behind cover while thinning out the front line is the safe but effective way to do it. Unless you have a good sniper or long ranged option to just nuke the longbows with, of course. After a certain point with all the talents if you have the right guns or got lucky and hit the core of a build early you can force the back line and kill the longbows first before killing everything else. It's a riskier move though.

Sword Hose Rabbit is more likely maxing out Luminous Heart and Blade Shadow than the the Blossom build, you can only Q so fast and it doesn't look like a sword hose. Still a fun build though, and tbh it does help immensely with the Swords Out Rabbit build for maintaining stacks.

I realized when I played after the patch that all the new frames are also achievements, which means I'll actually have to get them. At least the Bunny one is just Sword build.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

double post because yeah okay the frame unlocks are just dumb. You have to force a specific ascension build for all of them but Tiger, who is just "don't touch weapons other than snipers in solo nightmare/reinc"

If you want the Bunny one, get level 3 Luminous Heart and level 2 Blade Shadow, boom, 45 swords at max stacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm very glad they changed the last boss' DPS check not to wipe you if you fail it as I just had my first turtle run along with a rabbit where we were strangely extremely powerful against regular enemies but not at all against high health enemies, so we failed the check but were able to win anyway

hot drat turtle is fun with 40 punch capacity, duplicating punches and punching extends your shield so you can keep it up for a whole room

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/J0TgmzD.mp4

new gun rocks, dog buffs good

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://i.imgur.com/X8Cdj7t.mp4

Finally beat the game with bunny on Nightmare after getting stomped on in R3 over and over. Got the Veteran scroll super early and was able to pump that up over 320 by the time I got to the last boss. Then got Flesh and Bones which helped too.

My weapon is a Scalpel that had the autoaim for crit after 5 kills which made the rest of the run v. easy. Fun stuff.

Kludge
Mar 25, 2016
I was looking for a looter shooter to play and had this game recommended to me by goons. Man it's so addicting. I've been playing it for about a week now and just managed to clear elite difficulty at level 81. I'm usually not a fan of roguelites but the guns and different character abilities are just so much fun to play with that I don't even mind the roguelite elements.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

More enhanced scrolls:

quote:

Enhanced Occult Scrolls:
New:
[Enhanced·Final Judgment]: Weapon attacks and Hero Skills instantly kill normal enemies and elites with less than 20% HP remaining or bosses with less than 10% HP remaining.
[Enhanced·Advanced Depot]:Use reserve ammo first rather than magazine when shooting.
[Enhanced·Bullet Bank]: All picked up ammo will automatically convert to the currently equipped weapon's type, and gain 3 copper.
[Enhanced·Copper Miner]:All enemies dead within 15m drop 2x the basic reward, within 7m drop 3x the basic reward.
[Enhanced·Gourmet]:Buns now recover full HP, and +50 Max Shield/Armor for 20s.
[Enhanced·Strategic Advantage]:+40% Movement Speed and RoF for 3 s after using Dash.
[Enhanced·Shrine of Recovery]:Fully recover HP after changing stages. Recover 5% HP per second if no DMG is taken within 5s. The recovery will stop upon taking any DMG.
[Enhanced·Flame Shard]: Fire damage +75%, and immune to negative effects of burning effect.
[Enhanced·Lightning Shard]:Lightning damage +75%, and immune to the negative effects of shock effect.
[Enhanced·Corrosion Shard]:Corrosion damage +75%, and immune to the negative effects of decay effect.
[Enhanced·Evil-Devouring Sword]:For every cursed scroll you own, gain +20% Weapon DMG, +30% Skill DMG and +15% Lucky Shot Chance. Reduce 10% cooldown of Dashing and primary skill.
[Enhanced·Fire Enthusiast]:Whenever you inflict the Burning effect to enemies also inflict Burning on yourself (take continuous DMG). When you are in Burning, Fire DMG causes 2% more life-steal.
[Enhanced·Corrosion Enthusiast]:Whenever you inflict the Decay effect to enemies also inflict Decay on yourself (movement speed -50%). When you are in Decay, -20% damage taken and +40% movement speed.
[Enhanced·Lightning Enthusiast]:Whenever you inflict the Shock effect to enemies also inflict Shock on yourself (DMG taken +10%). When you are in Shock, +75% Lightning DMG.
[Enhanced·No Retreat]:+50% Weapon DMG when secondary skill count is 0 or primary skill is cooling down. This bonus persists at least 20s.
[Enhanced·Long Shot]:Increase weapon DMG when hitting the enemy away from you. The further they are, the larger the bonus (up to 200%).
[Enhanced·Lone Ranger]:When there are no monsters within 8 meters, gain 2 stacks every 0.5s(up to 40 stacks). Lose 1 stack every 0.5s otherwise. Gain +1% Lucky Shot Chance per stack, and when at 40 stacks, gain an additional 10% Lucky Shot Chance.
[Enhanced·Bullet Light]:+25% Lucky Shot Chance. Recover one consumed ammo to magazine and reserve upon triggering a lucky shot.
[Enhanced·Explosive Bullets]:Non-element weapons have a 20% chance of causing an additional explosion damage to 250% of the base damage.
[Enhanced·Curiosity Box]:Randomly get 1-3 Enhanced Occult Scrolls when picking up this scroll. (Extremely small chance of obtaining cursed scrolls).
[Enhanced·Decay Driver]:+40% Movement Speed for 5s after inflicting decay effect or hurting enemies under decay effect.
[Enhanced·Field Support]:While the holder is moving, +30% weapon damage for yourself and your teammates.

Heroes:
[Crown Prince]'s Ascension [Acidominance] Level 3 Adjustments:
Old: +120% Corrosion DMG, and the first critical hit against an enemy will create a toxic cloud equivalent to a detonated smoke grenade.
New: +120% Corrosion DMG, and a critical hit against an enemy will create a toxic cloud equivalent to a detonated smoke grenade (Each enemy triggers at most once every 3 seconds).
Reduced the interval of using [Crown Prince]’s Primary Skill [Energy Orb]
Optimized [White Water] owned by [Qian Sui], the minimum damage bounced back will increase as the Ascension levels up.
Now [Ao Bai] is able to discard weapons and interrupt [Dual-Wield] while Dual-Wielding.

Levels:
Added a new route in [Hyperborean Jokul - Stage 2]
Tweaked combat flow in [Anxi Desert-Stage 3]
Adjusted the copper rewards after finishing [Duo Fjord-Stage 3]

Monsters:
When player defeats monsters with delayed death time, the related effects of defeat can be triggered immediately.

Spiritual Blessings & Reincarnation:
The [Elite Coyote] may appear when the challenge event "Innumerable elite monsters are coming!" is triggered in Reincarnation LEVEL 8.

Special Effects & Models:
● Optimized performance of [Golden Bow], [Strike Wing] and [Icy Spear] while being used by heroes.
● Optimized animations of [Crown Prince] and [Ao Bai] while preparing for an adventure.
● Optimized some special effects in regards to [Flying Saucer].

Descriptions:
Changed the descriptions of “Total HP”. Please be advised that these two descriptions are different:
Total HP: The sum of HP and Shield/Armor.
Total Max HP: The sum of max HP and max Shield/Armor.
Adjusted level frame descriptions of [Crown Prince] and [Lei Luo]
Changed the description of Spiritual Blessing [Craftsman's Inheritor] to “You can upgrade/reforge/etch/reroll weapons for free, but you can only own up to 20 non-cursed scrolls”.
Changed the “Interrupt Charging” to “Interrupt Charging/Dual-Wielding” in Hotkey Settings.

UI:
Optimized the rewards dropping special effects after completing challenge events.
Optimized UI performance when players are knocked down and revived. The Revival can only take effect after falling for no less than one second.
Optimized main menu performance on some widescreens.
Optimized animations showed in tutorial.
Added some tips in loading screen.

Audio:
Optimized the background music in [Longling Tomb] and [Anxi Desert].
Optimized alert audio related to some monster skills.

Controllers:
Added auxiliary aiming area for [GOLEM] and [ICHTHYOSAURUS OFFSPRING].

Others:
The peddler will kindly refills magazines for the weapons he sells.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Read those patch notes, read the thread and I finally had to open the game and read the (X) Enthusiast scrolls because I wasn't sure but- the enhanced versions are exactly the same? What the hell dev team, is that a typo or did you literally just add dud enhanced scrolls that are duplicate copies of their original versions?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I believe there are enhanced versions of occult scrolls that can drop.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

cage-free egghead posted:

I believe there are enhanced versions of occult scrolls that can drop.

Correct! Though only in Reincarnation difficulties and are usually only acquired via the Phantom Peddler that appears in aforementioned difficulty, or if you take a specific spiritual blessing that gives you a flat 20% for any occult scroll to become its enhanced version. Enhanced scrolls are strong and getting good enhanced scrolls can absolutely win you a run, but also lose you a run on the higher levels of Reincarnation if you don't get any good ones.

However generally those enhanced versions actually do something different. As far as I can tell comparing the text, Enhanced versions of Corrosion/Lighting/Fire Enthusiast are literally the same as their non-enhanced counterparts. This seems like an oversight and unintentional.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I think this is the lowest weapon level I've won with in a while.
Don't frequently get weapons with good enough inscriptions to overcome the value of the huge level weapon you've been feeding since early on, so it's nice when it happens.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dual wielding weapons with low stability and hawkeye sight, clutching my mouse with a vice grip while I try to track the heads of kung fu monkeys while they roll around

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

IronicDongz posted:

dual wielding weapons with low stability and hawkeye sight, clutching my mouse with a vice grip while I try to track the heads of kung fu monkeys while they roll around

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm doubleposting to not ruin my emptyquote to say if that fit as a thread title I'd say we'd need to PM a mod to get it changed. Probably should get the thread title changed since Gunfire isn't actually in early access anymore.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you guys find something you really like just report that post and state in the comment that you want it as the new thread title.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Gunfire Reborn - Smack your dragon to reload

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

Gunfire Reborn - Smack your dragon to reload

Not bad!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The transition from Elite to Nightmare is being rough. I'm starting to think *maybe* I'm not the super hotshot FPS player than I believed I was:

LOL

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Oof, I feel you. Gunfire has been the go-to game for me and 2 buddies to play on our weekly game night, so I've seen everything the game has to offer, but I can't imagine doing the tougher difficulties solo.

Getting resurrected by a friend is core to my gameplay experience. How else can I justify going zero survivability if not leaning on my partners? As long as my numbers are biggest at the end of the run.

Lightning Tiger is probably also one of the tougher characters to solo with on top of that. Bunny's probably easiest, fast and continually making more shields with her sword talent.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'd say Bird, Bunny and Turtle are easiest solo, with Tiger being the worst by a mile. He's just so drat squishy that even if you get a strong build going you still gotta be aware of being one shot at any moment. Ultimately though, Nightmare is indeed just hard enough even with a maxed out talent tree that you're going to splat a lot of runs trying to get an initial build going if you're playing solo, and you'll still lose a number of the good runs you get going to your own hubris misplays.

I imagine it is made worse if you're trying for Tiger's frame though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can confirm, I switched to Bunny and reached stage 4 in Desert.

I actually had picked Tiger just because I hadn't played with him a lot, in general, not for other reason.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I dont understand why they made some frames solo-only, like at least make it also able to get in solo, not only in solo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fishstick posted:

I dont understand why they made some frames solo-only, like at least make it also able to get in solo, not only in solo.

it's because two tigers can't occupy one (mountain) peak.

I think it's dumb too.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

tbh I struggled in nightmare and then jumped into reincarnation 1 after my first win and found that to be easier thanks to the blessings

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

yeah the blessings and enhanced scroll really make up for whatever slight difference in difficulty there is between Nightmare and Reincarnation 1.

Reincarnation 4+ though? you start noticing all the things the difficulty scaling modifies, especially solo

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Figured I'd go for the Bird frame and my second run I got the platonic ideal Cleave build, literally only one ascension by the end of world 3 wasn't a cleave ascension and that was only because I forgot I had Ultimate Gambler! Also broke my highest damage dealt record, ended with 3790 Easy Kill stacks. You can def only hit the threshold for the frame (3000) if you get Easy Kill on the first or second stage of Tomb and also get a Cleave Carnivale level early to pair with it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sometimes you do some bigbrained elemental combo stuff to win

other times you just get a 10.6x crit multiplier on an illusion and hold down m1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
What is stability? Does it affect accuracy or critical chance?

While I'm here, a few times I've been playing Thunder Cat and have noticed that sometimes scopes will outline enemies in red through cover after waiting a second or two. I haven't seen an inscription that explicitly grants it, though I think I've seen it most often (but not always) with "additional crit damage after waiting in scope for two seconds". Is it a hidden bonus or am I just missing it?

Also, I'm doing Nightmare solo as well after just squeaking through Epic. The jump in difficulty is... something. I lose like a third of my runs due to being inattentive around traps. Epic is doable, though I lose a lot of runs suddenly and stupidly. On Nightmare, I'm lucky to clear the Temple. I feel like I don't have enough time to get a build going unless I'm very lucky with ascensions. I really want to see Reincarnation, but I think I'm going to run out of steam before then.