Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Or you could conquer England and take the title for yourself. :black101:

If he’s next in line because the current king has no kids of their own you can usually just wait for that to change before you decide anything as well.

And a one time tyranny hit is entirely okay unless you’re on the verge of an uprising that you can’t beat. You can always try to get a claim on the title to avoid the tyranny hit too.

And of course there’s always murder. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this never happened in history, ties of homage were made fuckin weird and peeps were both vassals and lieges to each other sometimes to deal with crap like this. so pdx is forcing you to do that in order to make a game that won't melt your computer and both your and the dev's minds

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Revoking the title would work, at the cost of some tyranny (and I think legitimacy now?)

Murdering him would make his current heir replace him as ruler of the title he currently has, and that person may or may not also be the next in line after him to inherit England. You can check that by going to the title and checking its line of succession at the bottom.

You can fabricate a claim on his title, which would allow you to revoke it without a penalty (or maybe just less of one? I haven't done this in a while)

If you are a feudal government and have the Royal Perogative innovation researched you can increase your Crown Authority to 3 to prevent titles from being inherited outside of the realm. This would make the earldom pass on to his heir when he inherits England.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Fajita Queen posted:

This is a very helpful video thank you.

EDIT: Does any of this apply to other base religions besides Christianity? I'm currently playing a Muslim game and it seems to have some weird differences with regards to how temple ownership works

Muslims start as Lay Clergy; you need Theocratic Clergy to do Theocracy, so you need to reform your religion to get Theocratic Clergy. I recommend Theocracy Clergy with Temporal Revocable assignment so you can always control who your realm priest is.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
getting to change to temporal revocable is basically why the actual protestant reformation happened. also the investiture crisis. also the chinese 21st century investiture crisis lol

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Just got an unexpected game over -- despite having 500+ house members, I had no heir?

A bit confused why these guys weren't selected. This was on a clan, with antagonistic house succession (seems like any large house ends up swirling into antagonistic).

Weirdly some dude _not even from my house_ was picked, despite having hundreds of house members?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 23, 2024

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

alcaras posted:

Just got an unexpected game over -- despite having 500+ house members, I had no heir?

A bit confused why these guys weren't selected. This was on a clan, with antagonistic house succession (seems like any large house ends up swirling into antagonistic).

Weirdly some dude _not even from my house_ was picked, despite having hundreds of house members?

Male Only succession only allows specifically your children. I'm not sure why it works like that, but it does

The other possible explanation (not tested) is that Male Only only allows tracing inheritance through males, which would make more sense. It looks like there was a princess in between you and that relative

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Helical Nightmares posted:

I have a vassal, Earl Liber who has the Earldom of Galloway and he is also the Heir to the Kingdom of England.

I'd like to maintain the Earldom of Galloway but my understanding is that if Earl Liber obtains the Kingdom of England then he will no longer be my vassal and also take the Earldom of Galloway away from me.

What are my options here?

I could revoke his Earldom of Galloway title, but that would accrue Tyranny right?

I suppose I could murder Earl Liber but I'm not sure what that all would do.

Look at England and who's holding it - if it's someone young who just got shoved on the throne, they'll probably put out a few babies soon enough and the situation will solve itself. You can even help out by seducing the wife!

If it's something a bit more dire, such as an old woman on the throne, there's nothing you can do to alter the inheritance of your vassal. Revoke, murder, or let them emigrate then wardec to take it back - sometimes preferable if you know their ascension will be weak and England will suffer internal wars of which you can help with its destabilisation. For the murder option be sure to check who his heir is, and if they're not also 3rd in line for England. As mentioned above fabbing a claim lets you revoke freely.

Honestly the easiest way is normally revocation and just eating the tyranny penalty, as quite machiavellianly tyranny is a resource to be managed just like any other, such as stress. But now with legitimacy concerns I'm unsure if it's a real option anymore =[

-------------------

scaterry posted:

The other possible explanation (not tested) is that Male Only only allows tracing inheritance through males, which would make more sense. It looks like there was a princess in between you and that relative
Yea that's gotta be it, male-only disqualifies the female relative and by extension all of her progeny.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 23, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it's a stiff legitimacy penalty, but not as huge as marrying a dirt-farmer

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

scaterry posted:

Male Only succession only allows specifically your children. I'm not sure why it works like that, but it does

Serephina posted:

Yea that's gotta be it, male-only disqualifies the female relative and by extension all of her progeny.

Yes. An "agnate" is a relative whose relation to you can be traced purely through the male line. Agnatic succession law allows only agnates to be candidates.

This is, hmm. In previous titles this was straightforwardly labelled "agnatic succession" or "pure Salic law". That wasn't exactly newbie friendly but it did prompt you to stop and look up exactly what that meant. I wonder if changing it to the more intuitive "male-only" has actually been a UX regression.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's labelled Agnatic right there in the screenshot! Thanks for the tip tho ;p

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

scaterry posted:

Thanks! I think this was the explanation. Definitely not limited to direct children only since I had a cousin inherit, but he was my father's brother (so did not pass through a princess).

I swear I had it on Male-Preference at some point (or my religion was Equal and that's what had it as Male Preference, but then I changed my religion to Male Preference and it swapped it to Male Only and I didn't notice!!)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It finally happened, I got the urge to play another Paradox game. I've played 1000 hours of CK2 and I'm trying to get used to the interface in this game.

My first question is, whats the fastest and most efficient way to search for an umarried (female usually) claimant to a title? Say I'm in Eastern Germany and I'd like to marry a son off to a daughter who is somewhere down the line of succession to a title, then murder all the heirs before her.

I'm not quite sure how to do this with the character finder, if its possible at all.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
go to the title sidebar-thing, it'll have a list of claimants in order

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 23, 2024

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

And if you’re not looking for a particular title searching by prestige gain or alliance power is a handy proxy for people who are connected to big titles.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
After the End is really fun. Getting into american lore

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Ah, _this_ is how theocratic vassals are supposed to work :D

Amusingly, the salary I pay him to be Steward comes back to me as taxes:

Contribution breakdown, should be able to get this to 100% with a few more artifacts:

--

TL;DR: Have a theocratic temporal revocable religion. Pause the game. Fire your realm priest. Assign them one county with a temple. They'll get replaced with a new realm priest. Fire that new guy and give them another county.

Important: You want one county per priest (maaaybe two if they have a high domain limit). Do not just give everything to one priest since they won't manage it well and will go over domain limit but not create vassals since they are counts and have no money.

My mistake in my clan game was I gave everything to one guy and then gave him titles and he made clan vassals (not theocratic vassals! theocratic vassals do not automatically make theocratic vassals)
It is definitely weird.

No downsides apart from the awkward set up. It's completely OP and pretty broken, but fun for what I wanted to do (stay a very small kingdom and explore activities while having gold income, while also putting my dynasty on other thrones through claim marriage not stabbing)

Had never been able to figure it out before so was curious how it worked; now that I've seen it probably won't use it again since it's so strong

alcaras fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 24, 2024

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

Contribution breakdown, should be able to get this to 100% with a few more artifacts:

Or with a better Grand Tour modifier.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Anyone know why some of my vassals (or vassals of vassals) have building construction completely stalled? I remember seeing this before but I don't remember how/if I fixed it. Is it going to go away on its own or do I need to edit the save?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I wonder if there’s any way to make that stupid UI mod that solves the linux/mac crashes be less stupid?

At one that mod its a gift from the gods, as it really makes the crashes at least a lot less common. At the other hand, I can’t see my children in the character screen because I happen to have too many siblings

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they solved the crashes on the trunk branch, you should be able to just uninstall it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I can't see any betas for linux under the Steam menu - they're all 'old version', 1.0 launch version, or 1.7.0 avx hotfix.

The unofficial patch seems to stop the super common crashes, I can play for a few hours straight now before it chokes and dies.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think the fix that's in that mod was added into the Unofficial Patch mod, which arguably everyone should be using anyway. Alternatively have you tried that beta branch that was being referred to upthread?
Cheers for that, btw

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Is anyone else having tons of auto save crashes? I’d say mine crashes 2/3 of the time when it attempts to auto save, regardless of the interval I have it set to or if cloud saves are on or not. This is also for manual saves too, otherwise I’d just turn it off entirely. I’m on Windows and haven’t had crashes for any other reason. It’s basically unplayable now since the game also takes forever to initially load, so I’m spending just as much time doing that as I am actually playing it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Holy poo poo, I just saw the HRE formed by the computer within the first few decades of a 800 start. Bavaria just kinda ate a few people then inherited lothria and west francia then BOOM, holy roman empire. Zero input from the player, other than maybe raiding a few people which might have weakened their armies, unintentionally.

--

^^^ And sorry, no idea about autosave crashes.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I didn't have a single crash in a 400 year playthrough. Try disabling mods?

And yeah the AI seems to be much better at forming the HRE now. They had it done before the first generation of Karlings died too and if I hadn't dismantled it myself to restore the Carolingean borders as Francia it probably would have stuck around.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

All of my crashing was solved by following these steps, but they weren't save related. I originally thought it was mod-related but thankfully it wasn't.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

No crashes here.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

All of my crashing was solved by following these steps, but they weren't save related. I originally thought it was mod-related but thankfully it wasn't.

Yeah, I’m guessing it might be some weird poo poo with my computer, although from looking around I’m definitely not the only one with this problem. The crashes I’ve had before weren’t specific to saving, so this stuff is new. I remember this game worked real smoothly for me when it first came out, now it seems like every major patch renders it unplayable for one reason or another for weeks/months. The last time I played was like 6 months ago, so I guess I probably should have checked beforehand before spending $40 on the dlc…

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm a bit confused and don't know what's causing my current situation.

I am unable to get remarried after my spouse died. Playing as a Muwalladi Muslim in Iberia, my secondary spouses and then primary spouse all died within the past ~year or so and it doesn't give me the option to even select myself as an option to propose marriage to anyone else. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm using RICE and a couple of cosmetic mods but nothing like this was happening in this or any prior game I've played with that modset on this version so it seems unlikely to be a mod issue

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

I'm a bit confused and don't know what's causing my current situation.

I am unable to get remarried after my spouse died. Playing as a Muwalladi Muslim in Iberia, my secondary spouses and then primary spouse all died within the past ~year or so and it doesn't give me the option to even select myself as an option to propose marriage to anyone else. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm using RICE and a couple of cosmetic mods but nothing like this was happening in this or any prior game I've played with that modset on this version so it seems unlikely to be a mod issue

If you "arrange marriage", doesn't it only look in your court for a spouse? "Find spouse" checks other courts.

The other possibilities are to hit "reset to default" because of non-default filter options, or reload the savegame (if it's bugged).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Find Spouse isn't even an option on the right click menu :(

The game seems to be treating my character as though he's already married basically.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Did you have a promised grand wedding that isn't firing? Sometimes that screws up marriage options.

Beyond that, other than reloading and waiting for a monthly tick to recognize that your character is single now it's either a new bug or a mod issue unfortunately if you aren't even getting the find spouse option.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I saw a YouTube video for the total conversion mod After the End, so i got that installed today because I was excited to form the Chicagoland kingdom.

Three minutes in I realized I haven’t played a game that starts anywhere other than the Isle of Mann and gives me raiding in maybe two years? I forgot how early game stuff works

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

I saw a YouTube video for the total conversion mod After the End, so i got that installed today because I was excited to form the Chicagoland kingdom.

Three minutes in I realized I haven’t played a game that starts anywhere other than the Isle of Mann and gives me raiding in maybe two years? I forgot how early game stuff works

Honestly, unless you are playing as Tribals the early game can kind of suck. Everything is gated by gold, and if you aren't at least a Duke getting enough gold to do anything is a slog. After adventurers get added later this year I think the basic Feudal economy could use a rework so there are more interesting things to do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Servetus posted:

Honestly, unless you are playing as Tribals the early game can kind of suck. Everything is gated by gold, and if you aren't at least a Duke getting enough gold to do anything is a slog. After adventurers get added later this year I think the basic Feudal economy could use a rework so there are more interesting things to do.

Yeah an issue is that a lot of stuff scales by gold but the stuff you really want to be doing early (like filling your MAA regiments or building stuff) doesn't, so you end up having to sit waiting around a while until you can actually afford it, while also not doing any of the side stuff since even if they are cost scaled, that's still money you can't really afford to spend.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah an issue is that a lot of stuff scales by gold but the stuff you really want to be doing early (like filling your MAA regiments or building stuff) doesn't, so you end up having to sit waiting around a while until you can actually afford it, while also not doing any of the side stuff since even if they are cost scaled, that's still money you can't really afford to spend.

This really is why all of my games for the last few years have started with “spend a generation elevating the Isle of Mann and grab legacy of pirates for a century”

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Trevor Hale posted:

This really is why all of my games for the last few years have started with “spend a generation elevating the Isle of Mann and grab legacy of pirates for a century”

I actually parked my most recent game as I realized I was going to have to do that again, that or maybe migrate to a land that has a gold mine - one that can be built within the foreseeable future! I may need to stop playing 867 starts, as playing broke low-dev realms sucks.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
They really need to put better event for money other than "Surprise taxe" or "It's four O'Clock babe! Raiding time!"

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

There's always "Migrate to someplace rich and spend a generation as Unreformed Pagan Feudal building up and raiding before converting and join the Struggle/Intermezzo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, speaking thereof, they really need to overhaul the religion system. I know they've added a tenet or two, but it's really super limited and the only way to get something that feels different is to spend all 3 tenents on some gimmick like "horny/lying&murdering/partying is good". Normally it's just a big long list of how bad the illegal stuff is, and how much everyone hates you for having a different coloured flag.

I think the pilgrimages changes are a strong step in the right direction, but it'd be nice if things where a bit more nuanced like the culture system where your beliefs enabled new small side-stuff rather than being a list of illegal common activities.

Being paradox, I'm very much aware this is a monkey's paw wish.