Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
you know if you nerds had picked might in the beginning we'd be strong enough to simply rip the bars outta the way

> consider ripping out the bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Geemer posted:

> Ask the fisherman to reel 'er up. Surely nothing bad could be on the line.

Well I dunno what would ever possibly give you that impression!

But actually, I should have been more explicit...

This is a one time use card, akin to ? UNKNOWN MASS ?. Your powers of belief have more to do with what may be on the end of the line than anything else... however it'll only be a single item instead of a bundle, so all of you... choose wisely

Anyway, I lied and won't have nearly the amount of free time to Shade as I was hoping this weekend, but on the bright side that just means more time to brainstorm the line!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's knowledge of the Gate and it is the Gate and it's the Key and the Guardian of the Gate

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014
It's a Ki Attenuator. It collects the ambient energy of the shade o verse to slowly recharge the wearer's Ki. It looks strangely like an inconspicuous ring.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Chronojam posted:

> whistle the same tune

:"Hey that's pretty good!"

YOU HAVE FADED

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

> The fisherman reels up a very shiny brass trumpet.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Stoatbringer posted:

stick the mouthpiece end up your butt and give it a toot

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

i do NOT like this stab-happy little prick of a guard. speared for whistling, wtf

fisherman seems cool though, let's see what's on the line!

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Get a potion of specific forgetting from the void.
Send down the effigy.
Use the potion to forget what you sent.
Transform the effigy into an effigy of the beautiful shade.
The transformation should work on the effigy and the priestess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Protagonist posted:

:"Hey that's pretty good!"

YOU HAVE FADED

this guy is a dick

absolute loving dickhead

> tell him his helmet makes him look like a dick

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:ohdear: oops

Can we easily fit things into the window? It might be easier to fit and stash a harmonica vs a trumpet.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
The object is an Inverted Effigy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason we can't yank that spear away from the guard the next time he stabs us?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is there any reason we can't yank that spear away from the guard the next time he stabs us?

Probably the fact that we are a weakling with zero points in Body.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

> The lure is the guard's spear, which will dissappear from him the moment the fisherman reels it up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think lockpicks would be quite useful.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The Protagonist posted:

YOU HAVE FADED

All Sentries Are Bastards

> use Voice of Longing to make the sentry dream about leaving his post

Geemer posted:

> The lure is the guard's spear, which will dissappear from him the moment the fisherman reels it up.

or this

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There's a lot of really solid ideas here for something so relatively formless.

Bregor posted:

Should do this in any event

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Bregor posted:

I like this. Could we also connect with the void within and suck the line towards us, kirby-style, so that the fisherman pulls us up onto an upper deck too?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chronojam posted:

There's a lot of really solid ideas here for something so relatively formless.
:hmmyes:

This was the most difficult choice yet. It seems to me there are essentially three camps- the practical problem solvers, the soft-locking screwballs and the game-breaking cosmic power mongers.

My 5y/o absolutely loved the trumpet idea and thought that the butt-blat should spread throughout the ship, fading everyone. Hard to disagree honestly...

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

You spend a long while contemplating what might be hanging down there, awaiting coalescence...

Stoatbringer posted:

HIJK posted:

stick the mouthpiece end up your butt and give it a toot

Could it be an instrument, vulgarly applied?

Xaintrailles posted:

Get a potion of specific forgetting from the void.
Send down the effigy.
Use the potion to forget what you sent.
Transform the effigy into an effigy of the beautiful shade.
The transformation should work on the effigy and the priestess.

Could you circumvent the difficulties of the journey ahead with a clever concoction?

Presumably you drank from the Ἀχέρων before, and it cost all your memories. Could you risk a specifically applied potion from the same source now, trapped as you are? Best not.

Geemer posted:

Mayhap you divest the jailor of his armament with some cosmic appropriation...

What then though of the cell... and the inevitable backup?

What if...???

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it's knowledge of the Gate and it is the Gate and it's the Key and the Guardian of the Gate

But no... it is none of these things, exactly. You know what it must be. Or at least you know what you hope it to be. Careful not to alert the guard yet again, you call out to the sedentary fisherman to draw in his line...

:"Don't go anywhere. Heh."

With yet more time to kill in this horrid brig, you decide to ply a more subtle strategy against the sentry in hopes of impinging his morale.

Bregor posted:

You speak to them, quietly, for a good long while about the joys of desertion. They stir some, and you hope it takes.

Just then, you're alerted by the azure angler.

:"Spool is almost full! I think I can see something glinting..."

It occurs that you'd not previously worked out a deal with the angler about the contents of his catch. Oh well, you can only break the 8th seal once anyway.

You use telekinesis to take the catch.

You get a-

And also a-

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh good, Ki is a bit more accessible now. Wear ring, bend hook into lockpick to get the door open, maybe, then sneak past the guard. Or maybe the voice treatment worked and we won't have to, who knows.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Transpose and inspect the ring and your cell.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

> Put on ring
> use Psychometry on the ring

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Wild T posted:

Transpose and inspect the ring and your cell.

Unfortunately you are currently have 0/6 Soul Ki, & transposition requires at least 1 Soul Ki to use.

McFrugal posted:

Wear ring

Bregor posted:

> Put on ring

Bregor posted:

> use Psychometry on the ring

You now have 2/6 MIND KI

:"It seems hoping for a reprieve from the crucifix does little to inspire genuine hope of a return."

:"It was worth a shot. Keeps morale up among the remaining faithful at least..."

:"Mm. More and more will begin to wake from their fugue and begin their inevitable descent."

:"I fear our time on this placid little embankment is soon drawing to a close..."

:"There must be something that can be done."

:"We can yet buy some time. Let the faithless among us leave at their own pace... interning them here with their yearning and longing will only make us more a beacon to the infernal jailors and bounty hunters."

:"I'll have the men open the gates for the despairing. Anything else?"

:"Purge this place of the arcane, any items of power should be considered contraband. No matter the comfort, it'll only help to draw in the buzzards from below..."

:"I'll see it done."

:"Thank you Likhoden... to that end we may as well start here and now. Let this be a consignment to the cooling chaos at the end of all things."

The channeled vision comes to an end.

You have gained knowledge of the ring.

McFrugal posted:

bend hook into lockpick to get the door open, maybe, then sneak past the guard.

owlhawk911 posted:

i do NOT like this stab-happy little prick of a guard. speared for whistling, wtf

Not content to wait for the ring to take effect, you manage to break the hook into an improvised pick and torsion wrench and start to work at the lock. It's awkward going from within the cell and it'll take some time.

At least you have a moment to decide if you're going to attempt to sneak past the guard when you do spring it, or shank him good with your glass dagger.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Fade for fade. Shank the bejeezus out of that jerk

e: whistle the fisherman's tune right before you do it, too

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 23, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Too bad the window is too small to stick him out it. Voting sneak past.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

If we shank the sentry, won't it just respawn?

> people shades can move past it, and heal

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I think I'll break my regular silence on :airquote:mechanics:airquote: and say that we're operating more or less on dark souls rules, so generally things only come back when you also die.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
If we had any points in body, I'd say go for the fade. But since we don't, sneaking seems like a better option. But be ready to shank if he wakes up.

Can we still contact Dennis? Whatever comes next, I'm sure we could use an ally.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Sneak attacks are pretty much always successful, I'd think. Shanking him will definitely unlock another Seal, but that particular Seal seems hard to avoid in the long run anyway... I'm on the fence but leaning towards stabbing him since we'll be able to loot his equipment.

Hmm, that flashback is concerning. Most of the initial text is blurred too much to recover, but I can make out the second to last line at least: "We cannot last, when fresh souls reach the descent the keepers of the ledger will wise up to our little sanctuary". Sounds like this is a very recent flashback, since they also talk about releasing the despairing. They were keeping souls here and trying to use longing to bring something back... the ferryman, perhaps? Also sheesh is this near the end of time itself? No wonder the ferryman is comatose: nothing's left that can die, so he has no work left to do. This is the last bastion of existence.
...oh man I really want to use psychometry on the ferryman's gear.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

i don't want to stab the guard. he sucks for stabbing us and we're better than him

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

owlhawk911 posted:

i don't want to stab the guard. he sucks for stabbing us and we're better than him

I get what you're saying!

> Slit the guard's throat.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

I think I'll break my regular silence on :airquote:mechanics:airquote: and say that we're operating more or less on dark souls rules, so generally things only come back when you also die.

well in that case concentrate really really hard on the ground for any messages from other shades or previous incarnations of yourself. they're probably trolls but maybe something is useful.

but those buzzards from below sound like allies for real. make an overture to them with some arcane lure or other.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Shank him, but make sure it's quiet! then take his helmet and spear.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Shank the guard

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Shank the guard, then shank ourselves so the guard respawns and we can shank him again

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tomfoolery posted:

Shank the guard, then shank ourselves so the guard respawns and we can shank him again

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

lol

Looks like we're on our way to stab city, though it was far more contentious than I thought it would be! Respect to those who favored subtle nonviolence, but I fear our transformation into full murder-hobo was inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

McFrugal posted:

leaning towards stabbing him since we'll be able to loot his equipment.

Jasus Christ posted:

Shank him, but make sure it's quiet! then take his helmet and spear.

Butt Discussin posted:

Shank the guard

Geemer posted:

> Slit the guard's throat.

Tomfoolery posted:

Shank the guard

Hello Sailor posted:

Fade for fade. Shank the bejeezus out of that jerk

After what seems an interminable span the cell lock finally yields to your blind probing. A moment of terror passes as you just manage to keep the cross bar and lock from clattering to the floor... the bars swing freely open.

You are nearly overcome with equal parts giddy anticipation and nerves as you creep silently forward towards the still slumbering jailor.

Hello Sailor posted:

whistle the fisherman's tune right before you do it, too

>SHADE uses KEEN GLASS DAGGER, CRITICALLY HITTING SENTRY

>SENTRY has FADED

quote:

THE 6th SEAL HAS BROKEN

quote:

The Ki Accumulator Procs, you now have 1/6 Soul Ki

They pass with a quiet gurgle. Confident no one has been alerted by your violence, you quickly collect their things-

Fumbling through the ring you find the right key for the heavy brig door easy enough. Looking through the small window in the door reveals only darkness. Taking care to open it slowly, it gives way with a low creaking.

You risk a peek out and survey the shape of your newfound freedom.

The hall forward fades into darkness, perhaps defunct or unused. To the left you can see firelight dancing from around a corner, and the distant sound of subdued revelry...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
e; quick patchin

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 23, 2020