Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I simply never remove my helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

spouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM97nbRsKfc

Yeah, uh... Yeah... uh... yep.

Get destroyed, undoers.
This is a clear case of someone buying a helmet at least one size too big. There is no friction when he puts it on. Don't be like that guy.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Nitrox posted:

This is a clear case of someone buying a helmet at least one size too big. There is no friction when he puts it on. Don't be like that guy.
Yeah I was just about to say that helmet flies off way too quick to be anywhere near a snug fit.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I simply never remove my helmet

This is the way

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

This is the way

Second time I've seen "simply never take your helmet off"/"this is the way" posted today

(yes I watch Mando I get the reference, it's just feeling a little Baader-Meinhoffy in here)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Any Dainese gloves worth it? I got a 15% off coupon and they're doing a Memorial Day sale now.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any Dainese gloves worth it? I got a 15% off coupon and they're doing a Memorial Day sale now.

I have these winter gloves and they work well. Nothing to rave about, but they do a good job blocking the wind and keeping my hands warm down to like 30 F. Below that I'm more inclined to wear heated gloves.

But they're well constructed and fit good, so I assume any of their gloves would likewise work well.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My Dianese Carbon gloves are awesome (gauntlet version). Have a scaphoid slider which not every "sport" glove has, the leather feels very supple, but I still feel quite protected in them.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
They're ... fine? Not worth the *premium* markup. I don't know if Five has a stockist where you are, but their stuff is great quality and probably about the same (or less) than Dainese stuff with a 15% discount.

FWIW the rest of my riding gear is dainese but I've never been all that jazzed on their gloves and I love my Five RFX3's

prukinski fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 26, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

prukinski posted:

FWIW the rest of my riding gear is dainese but I've never been all that jazzed on their gloves and I love my Five RFX3's

Same. Generally I rate Alpinestars for gloves.

Reminds me I want some non-gauntlet leather gloves for summer, better get shopping.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
I untie my shoes every time but I like a tight fit.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What other crazy clothes poo poo are people up to, unbuttoning your pants every time you take them on/off?
Undoing your belt?
Gaping your socks?

Where does the madness end, goons?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I put on my pants both legs at a time, just like anyone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao if you dont jump from the mezzanine into an outstretched pair of pants waiting below

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am pretty morally opposed to anything with a monthly fee, but does anyone have experience with one of those bike trackers? Ideally it would let me share my location with my partner when I’m loving off alone and maybe detect a crash as well as letting me find my bike if anyone ever decides to gently caress with it.

I’m more interested in the first two than the last two. But it’d still be nice to know I have at least some chance of finding my baby if someone takes it.

Yeah, I’m already set up to share my GPS location with her through google, but that’s a bit too dependent on Wi-Fi networks and such. I have an iPhone, in case that makes any difference.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't have any experience with one intended for motorcycles. But I did have a Garmin 510 bicycle computer about a decade ago that had this feature. Iirc, it still needed to have an active Bluetooth connection to a cell phone with an active data connection, but it had its own GPS.
I used to go on longer bicycle rides through the Eastern Washington desert and my wife would worry about me. I figured this feature would put her mind at ease.
In reality, she started panic calling me the first time my riding partner had yet another flat and we had to patch it up. All she sees is my GPS stopped dead by the side of the road that doesn't look like a good rest spot.
I stopped using it not too long after that lol.

Edit. Bonus photo from those bike rides. Admire my aero bars. The Garmin 510 is right there!

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 26, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Yeah, I’m already set up to share my GPS location with her through google, but that’s a bit too dependent on Wi-Fi networks and such. I have an iPhone, in case that makes any difference.

If you have an iPhone it's easy to share your location with anyone who has a Mac or other Apple device so you can get in business with that today if everyone has Apple stuff. Settings/location services/share my location then go into their contact and pick share my location there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Either that or put an AirTag on the bike and add the AirTag to her account. Your iPhone will say you’re being followed but you can dismiss the message and I believe it doesn’t come up again

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Geekboy posted:

I am pretty morally opposed to anything with a monthly fee, but does anyone have experience with one of those bike trackers? Ideally it would let me share my location with my partner when I’m loving off alone and maybe detect a crash as well as letting me find my bike if anyone ever decides to gently caress with it.

I’m more interested in the first two than the last two. But it’d still be nice to know I have at least some chance of finding my baby if someone takes it.

fwiw my solution was buying an airtag and popping it under the seat, not really going to help on the crashing end of things but the tracking would be solid.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
New helmet. Shiny. Double d ring but that doesn't matter if I never take it off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Geekboy posted:

I posted this in another thread but check out the specialized angi crash sensor (I stick mine to my helmet). I use it for crash detection, will communicate to whoever you set as your contact via email or text. So as long as you can get a text out it can send coordinates. Doesn’t work way out there but for most places people go it’s good to go. Less than $50 and no monthly anything just download their app. Doesn’t help with the theft thing.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

TotalLossBrain posted:

What other crazy clothes poo poo are people up to, unbuttoning your pants every time you take them on/off?
Undoing your belt?
Gaping your socks?

I'm getting over a mild shoulder injury so I actually put on my jacket like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8BzByjH4q0

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Undoing your belt?
Gaping your socks?

I had all my outfits sewn together and cut down the back with a zipper installed, so I only have to pull on an adult onesie every day. Saves time coordinating shirts and pants and socks and whatnot, but I do have to get completely naked if I need to use a public restroom.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

I had all my outfits sewn together and cut down the back with a zipper installed, so I only have to pull on an adult onesie every day. Saves time coordinating shirts and pants and socks and whatnot, but I do have to get completely naked if I need to use a public restroom.

This is also known as the Nazi paratrooper look

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
The main limiting factor for my endurance now is that my seat is uncomfortable. After an hour, I start to ache on pressure points inside my thighs and on my sit bones. After two hours, I just don't want to be on the bike anymore.

I'm reluctant to shell out the cash for a custom Corbin-type saddle on a bike I don't intend to keep much longer, though. I was thinking of a seat like this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/saddlemen-gel-channel-tech-seat-honda-cbr250r-2011-2013

Any other options I should consider? Is there another cheap way to add cushioning or better distribute weight?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bead seat

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Scooter style mesh cover.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Both are excellent suggestions ∆∆∆

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
can't speak to the bead seat on a bike but those mesh covers are amazing in the summers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The bead seats are great as well. I had one on my old goldwing and it really keeps you from getting swamp rear end on hot and humid days

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
might need to further dadbike the dadbike then. summer swamp rear end is one of the few complaints I have about the goldwing and since the seat is one big piece no one makes a mesh cover that would fit

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Is the beaded seat actually good and helpful or is this another “I slip my helmet off without undoing the buckle all the way” thing?

Old men seem to like them and honestly, old men are usually right about such things but it just doesn’t compute when I look at them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They literally just put an airgap between your rear end and the sweaty vinyl, thats all they're doing

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I recently swapped the painfully thin seat on my MT-03 for a thicker one from Norton Motorsports; did about 200 miles on it this weekend and experienced zero butt ache. Had to send them my old seat to convert but a new oem one was only like $35 so I didn't have a useless bike in the meantime.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

Is the beaded seat actually good and helpful or is this another “I slip my helmet off without undoing the buckle all the way” thing?

Old men seem to like them and honestly, old men are usually right about such things but it just doesn’t compute when I look at them.

As I understand it having lots of small contact points is better for fatigue than one big one

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I bought an air cushion from SW Motech on clearance, but I haven't found the courage to use it yet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bizwank posted:

I recently swapped the painfully thin seat on my MT-03 for a thicker one from Norton Motorsports; did about 200 miles on it this weekend and experienced zero butt ache. Had to send them my old seat to convert but a new oem one was only like $35 so I didn't have a useless bike in the meantime.

I’m thinking of doing this but primarily to get an extra inch of seat to peg distance.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Bead seats like the BeadRider are great for cooling your butt but are not something that makes your seat otherwise more comfortable IME.

This might have to do with my Corbin being so stiff, not sure. But adding hard beads on top of that feels downright bony.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

I’m thinking of doing this but primarily to get an extra inch of seat to peg distance.
It definitely made a difference in riding position, had to tweak my mirrors a little. It's probably 1.5-2in thicker then stock tho that will compress a little when you're on it obviously.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bizwank fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That looks inflammated