Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that's some grom Bull poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Phy posted:

My brother, who hasn't rode for a few years, just told me about https://www.lightmodehelmets.com/

And so help me I want a set

They're fun, I used to have a DIY one in amber.

e/ cost me about £55 for all the bits, not counting the hot glue gun I already had. I've been meaning to do another one for ages but the Chinese drivers are really lovely and the output wires break easily.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 28, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just imagine having a spare hundy laying around and not being able to find anything better to spend it on than christmas lights for your head, jfc. Just get some anodised chinesium farkles like a normal idiot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can pick up some EL wire and DIY for a fraction of that price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did you find you got any glare from the EL riding around at night? It's a fun look but I doubt I ride enough when it's dark out to justify any spend on anything like that.

Slavvy I love you buddy but imagine caring enough about what other people want to do with their free money that you complain about some frivolous helmet decoration :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 28, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

like a normal idiot.

But I want to be a shiny idiot

What I'll almost certainly end up doing is look up how to DIY it, cost it out, and then never do anything about it

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Slavvy I love you buddy but imagine caring enough about what other people want to do with their free money that you complain about some frivolous helmet decoration :haw:

We need to get Slavvy a higher paying job so once he has money to piss away we can watch with interest to see how he pisses it away!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

Did you find you got any glare from the EL riding around at night? It's a fun look but I doubt I ride enough when it's dark out to justify any spend on anything like that.

Nah, it's all out of view of your visor. Besides which, it's more what you'd call luminous than bright; in the dark it looks comparable to a 3M reflective panel that's having a very bright light shone at it.

Phy posted:

But I want to be a shiny idiot

What I'll almost certainly end up doing is look up how to DIY it, cost it out, and then never do anything about it

The most pain-in-the-rear end part is figuring out where to put the driver and batteries, in addition to being kind of flimsy most of them are awkwardly shaped (eg the 12v ones you need for driving the brighter kind of wire are a 4cm cube, no there are no alternatives) and will actively resist your efforts to find a decent place to put them on a helmet.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 28, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s what I figured, thanks!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Just imagine having a spare hundy laying around and not being able to find anything better to spend it on than christmas lights for your head, jfc. Just get some anodised chinesium farkles like a normal idiot.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Man angry at fun. Full story at 11.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skip the no name helmet and just buy the separate light kit they sell

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Phy posted:

My brother, who hasn't rode for a few years, just told me about https://www.lightmodehelmets.com/

Don't they sell peel and stick reflective tape by the roll for pennies on a dollar? Those are pre-made designs, and you literally have to glue a battery to your helmet to use it.

Edit: hello another page

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 29, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Renaissance Robot posted:

Chinese drivers are really lovely

excuse me?

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 29, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Greg12 posted:

excuse me?

Driver as in electronics that supply power to the lights and make patterns with them, made in China. Not Chinese person operating a vehicle.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Greg12 posted:

excuse me?

show me the lie

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Greg12 posted:

excuse me?

wait til this guy finds out what WP stands for :D

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

quote:

Watch this 3-minute video to help you decide which kit is right for you.
Nah.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
One helmet to rule them all?

I need a new lid. Riding a Africa Twin doing on/off road. Dadbike and dadstyle are totally cool. I literally wear a yellow aerostich. Mix of commuting, touring, and adv-offroad/bdr stuff.

Likes but not must have, and fully know many of these are mutually exclusive:

ECE or Snell
Modular
Internal visor or transitions visor
Goggles compatibility
Compatible with comms- probably upgrading that too Cardo from an older sena.
Pinlocks or cold/wet capability
Quiet
Light
Small first detent
Works ok with glasses

Previous helmets:
Schuberth C3 pro - Quiet. Great fit.
Shoei Hornet X2 - Good, felt heavy
Shoei Rf1200 - Nice
Scorpion exo1100 - eh. Air pump was goofy
Some lovely bell

Looking at:

Klim Krios Pro - can get great special pricing on it, fits ok, but only 2 shell sizes sucks. Possibly loud? Good off road. Fits me well.
Arai XD4 - need to find one to try on. Many shell sizes, OG adv helmet, well regarded on/off road. Can get an ok price on a few less popular colors.
Shoei Hornet X2 - had one of these. It’s ok but nothing special. Expensive, not seeing many deals, fit was ok.
Scorpion AT950 - modular adv? Cheap!
Schuberth E1 - presumably fits like my C3. Expensive.
Bell MX9 - cheap, good offroad?

Thoughts? Finding a few local shops to try them on.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
HJC i90 maybe? HJC's are pretty safe AFAIK and its ECE rated. I think they do well on SHARP also. Modular, and HJC's comm system is just a Sena SMH10. I have no idea about noise or comfort though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Man angry at fun. Full story at 11.

What you think you look like

What you look like

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If the christmas bike is wrong I don’t want to be right

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I chose that image based on his pants.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Yea woah hold up, mixed messages here

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So......you actually look like a really rad baby?

There are worse fates

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So......you actually look like a really rad baby?

There are worse fates

gently caress, this is both unintentionally true for all riding gear and a good thread title.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

XD4 or the Scorpion will probably be the best fit for what you want, which seems like a mix of everything. If you're riding offroad a lot, especially in the summer, a street helmet, even a modular, is a bad call (too hot)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

What you think you look like...

If it makes someone smile, who gives a poo poo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Anyone have experience with the built-in bluetooth that comes on the HJC F70? It's time for a new helmet for me, and I want to get away from using earbuds for long rides. The helmet also checks my other boxes of having an internal sunglass visor, indents for my glasses, and HJC helmets have always fit my head really well.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is there any reason you want a helmet-specific model instead of a regular universal bluetooth system? You could get a Cardo Freecom 1+ for the same price and it will fit lots more helmets than a handful of HJC models

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just want something built in to the helmet so I don't have to gently caress with earbuds or whatever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just want something built in to the helmet so I don't have to gently caress with earbuds or whatever.

All (decent) helmet intercom systems use speakers, and basically all helmets now come with voids in the EPS/lining for those speakers to fit into. The only pain with non-integrated ones is stuff like mounting and cable management, the big advantage that integrated systems give you is someone's already sorted though out so you don't end up with an awkward lump on the side of your helmet (seek medical attention etc) and/or loose cables flapping around or stuffed into random bits of the lining.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My Shuberth C4 pro came with an integrated system that uses Sena parts, but is hardwired into the helmet. And in order for me to use it, I would have to buy a helmet-specific battery and controller, which it conveniently did not ship with. Since I already have a Sena c10, I pulled the helmet apart to see what exactly I can use or maybe integrate. Turns out, nothing. Despite having the same speakers and the microphone, the helmet came with wires much thinner than my stand-alone setup, soldered in place. The integrated buttons where much harder to use, and while the standalone unit could be charged while using, the integrated system did not allow for that. So I ripped it all out, and mounted my existing c10 as if it was any other helmet.

What I'm saying is, you might want to read some reviews pertaining to the helmet you're about to buy. In my case, the integrated system made everything worse and took up valuable space. Never again

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nitrox posted:

My Shuberth C4 pro came with an integrated system that uses Sena parts, but is hardwired into the helmet. And in order for me to use it, I would have to buy a helmet-specific battery and controller, which it conveniently did not ship with. Since I already have a Sena c10, I pulled the helmet apart to see what exactly I can use or maybe integrate. Turns out, nothing. Despite having the same speakers and the microphone, the helmet came with wires much thinner than my stand-alone setup, soldered in place. The integrated buttons where much harder to use, and while the standalone unit could be charged while using, the integrated system did not allow for that. So I ripped it all out, and mounted my existing c10 as if it was any other helmet.

What I'm saying is, you might want to read some reviews pertaining to the helmet you're about to buy. In my case, the integrated system made everything worse and took up valuable space. Never again

It's another case of the whole industry being consumer-unfriendly. If just a few major helmet manufacturers picked up a standard that comes with a defined space and connector, we wouldn't have any of these issues. But everyone would much rather sell their own unique overpriced accessory so they can make that sweet sweet $$$.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Looking at:

Klim Krios Pro - can get great special pricing on it, fits ok, but only 2 shell sizes sucks. Possibly loud? Good off road. Fits me well.
Bell MX9 - cheap, good offroad?

Thoughts? Finding a few local shops to try them on.

I'm currently using both of these helmets.
For the Krios pro, get the krios 1 visors as a backup to lengthen the lifespan of the transistions visor. I use the transisitions visor on long trips or heading out late/early.
Ditch the peak for road rides and it'll be a lot quieter and reduce neck fatigue to basically nothing. Its stupid light and the aero is well designed.
Goggles on, venting is decent. Probably not as vented as a proper mx helmet but it'll do for adv rides.
use the pinlock. They fog super easy. The first detent could be half of what it is imo.
The visor also seals pretty good in the rain. Glaring at you, Icon.
Peak on, yeah it's kind of loud, I wear earplugs anyway.
Prior to this Krios I was using an Icon variant. lovely build, Loud as hell, no goggles, and made of klrium its so heavy. Thing was always causing aches.
Some people complain that the main vent feels cheap. Yeah, at $700 it kind of does, but it hasn't broken on me yet. Still lightyears better than the Icon...

Mx9 is vented well, loud, built to a price point and has mips.
It replaced a Fox V4 carbon in medium that'd cause hotspot after half a day or so.. This one doesn't do that.

The Krios is my dd/do most everything helmet with the mx9 being used for primarily dirt rides and trackdays at kart tracks.
I'm spot on for medium in both helmets using large cheekpads.
Both fit comms pretty well with the Krios being a little easier to install.. (:v: )
On the AT at 1.8m/6' tall I'd probably lower or extend the windscreen. I get buffeting on my husband's AT with the Krios. He's short so its a non-issue for him.To be fair, same problem on the 950 adventure so I run two different windscreens depending on the season.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Who makes the least worst riding jeans/overpants these days for short skinny fucks? I'm 5'6, 30 waist, 29 inseam, and I kinda want something reasonably fitting/non bulky. I assume that means expensive european stuff, but what are people's thoughts? I mostly commute and try to do sporty things sometimes, fwiw, but I'm really just curious which brands cater to that kind of cut

(On the budget side a plus, but at this point I might take what I can get)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Scorpion AT950 - modular adv? Cheap!

I have this and love it. Very comfortable, not crazy loud. The peak makes it weird at high speed and I get weird bobbles and a sore neck on faster highway days, but it’s easily removable. Huge field of view. Great vents, mouth vent is like a leaf blower right into your mouth when it’s open. Plenty of space for speakers, and all the padding is easily removable for washing. Visor removes pretty easily and supposedly takes goggles well. Internal shade is nice, I wish it dropped down another cm or two. First click open on the main visor is a little too much, but eh.

You probably know already, but modular+internal visor puts it down on safety inspections, so much so that SNELL and ECE won’t even inspect it. For those reasons I don’t know if I’ll replace it with the same thing when its lifetime is up, thinking hard about getting the MX9 or AGV equivalent. But till then it’s been the most comfortable helmet I’ve worn.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mirconium posted:

Who makes the least worst riding jeans/overpants these days for short skinny fucks? I'm 5'6, 30 waist, 29 inseam, and I kinda want something reasonably fitting/non bulky. I assume that means expensive european stuff, but what are people's thoughts? I mostly commute and try to do sporty things sometimes, fwiw, but I'm really just curious which brands cater to that kind of cut

(On the budget side a plus, but at this point I might take what I can get)
Dainese which isn't budget but you can find used Dainese on ebay and elsewhere. I have some Dainese riding pants Yamato that are size Euro 44 (I have a 29 inch waist and 30 inch inseam) that fit perfectly for an athletic/slim fit. I paid less than $50 for them used on ebay and they were in perfect hape.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 8, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rukka motorcycle trousers are fantastic, but be sure to get the C1 length.

C1 = Short
C2 = Medium
C3 = Long

I'm 6', with a 30" inseam and C1 fits good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I have a pair of Klim fifty 2s that fit great and make my rear end look fantastic. Fairly protective too afaik since its entirely backed with fairly thick kevlar + armor. Not as protective as leather obviously.