Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Again, not the same thing. I am arguing that bright clothes do nothing/have no significant effect. Riding gear actually does something if you crash. Good skills or bad skills I don't believe a bright vest can contribute to preventing a crash in any way. I've had people stare right at me with a headlight going and everything and still pull out. They aren't looking, anything relying on making yourself more visible is a placebo at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I guess the Army should stop focusing on camouflage then.

I've had to change my route to work because of the number of joggers wearing dark clothing running in the road. I can't see them till I'm right up on them. If they'd wear bright or reflective clothes, it would enhance both our safety.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

I guess the Army should stop focusing on camouflage then.

I've had to change my route to work because of the number of joggers wearing dark clothing running in the road. I can't see them till I'm right up on them. If they'd wear bright or reflective clothes, it would enhance both our safety.

Is this night time? Or are you legally blind? Cause yeah no poo poo, at night on a field of black anything bright and moving is visible. That's what the lights are for.

I'm talking about during the day which admittedly isn't clear from my posts.

Army camouflage is neither here nor there cause they're trying to hide from people who are looking.

Just had idea: marine force recon teams should carry a jammer that broadcasts interesting fb posts to every nearby device. Foolproof cloaking device, I hope you're reading DARPA!

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

Is this night time? Or are you legally blind? Cause yeah no poo poo, at night on a field of black anything bright and moving is visible. That's what the lights are for.

I'm talking about during the day which admittedly isn't clear from my posts.

You don't ride at night?

I go to work at 0530, so yeah, a lot of the time it's before the sun comes up.

Are you against road workers wearing high visibility garments?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Illiteracy or just bad faith poo poo posting? So hard to tell.

Last post on this BS: road workers don't have lights attached to them. Cars and bikes do. The light on your bike is much brighter than a safety vest but that's all irrelevant because I'm talking about the daytime, and I'm arguing that a vest won't prevent a crash because the person who hits you isn't looking.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The advice from the UK police is:

High-vis colours are overused and have lead to fatigue. Pink has the edge over yellow/green/orange.

White helmets can serve as a pre-warning to drivers in some conditions. E.g a white orb zooming across hedgerows and cars is somewhat odd.

Retroreflective gear will save your life in low light and low visibility conditions. Doubly so if your reflective patches make out a human shape, eg arms legs, torso, head (trigger that monkey brain). In fact this is something Klim integrates into their gear. Lights get obscured, blurred, and a single light gives absolutely no indication of distance.

None of this will protect you from someone who isn’t looking, or has cut into your lane, or is otherwise driving dangerously. One cop on my course witnessed a colleague, stationary with his blues on getting T-boned.

But it all adds up. And it all gets multiplied by your miles. The odds of a white helmet saving your life on a weekend brap around the countryside is probably nil. After 60 hours a week for 5 years? Might be a bit more significant.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Illiteracy or just bad faith poo poo posting? So hard to tell.

Last post on this BS: road workers don't have lights attached to them. Cars and bikes do. The light on your bike is much brighter than a safety vest but that's all irrelevant because I'm talking about the daytime, and I'm arguing that a vest won't prevent a crash because the person who hits you isn't looking.

Oh HO but have you considered this other situation I came up with, furthermore you are saying motorcycles don’t need lights and also airbags are bad

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Are magnetic tank bags reliable and if so does anyone have recommendations what to look at or avoid? I'm looking for something I can use to store a physical map. I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of a strap-on bag (lol) and tank lock bags require $100 in parts before you buy the bag. I would be concerned about it flying off and/or creating a hazard while I'm riding. (e.g. if it's possible to fly off and become a Halflife face crab on my helmet then of course that will happen)

My current riding is 95% recreational and I don't ride on the highway. My use case is I'm in the process of exploring every road in San Diego county. I'd like the ability to look down at a print map when I'm at a stop to reorient myself. (By the way, if you want to feel like a time traveler from the past, go into a gas station and ask for a road map.) I'm not originally from SD so I'm learning the roads for the first time. Would definitely help to have a county map to glance at when needed. Suggestions appreciated as always.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

idk about magnetic bags since my tank is plastic, but if you find one, mosko moto makes a wp map case that affixes to whatever tank bag you choose (all theirs use straps) with MOLLE straps which are pretty universal since they just hook around poo poo

they also make a MOLLE phone holder which is what I run on my pico v2 tank bag. not wp, but most phones these days are wp enough to where I have no issues putting mine in that while riding in the rain out in the sticks staring at topo maps lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Magnetic tank bags work fine. Two caveats - your bike has to have a steel tank, and they will scratch your clearcoat/paint over time just like a strapped bag does.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mincedgarlic posted:

Are magnetic tank bags reliable and if so does anyone have recommendations what to look at or avoid? I'm looking for something I can use to store a physical map. I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of a strap-on bag (lol) and tank lock bags require $100 in parts before you buy the bag. I would be concerned about it flying off and/or creating a hazard while I'm riding. (e.g. if it's possible to fly off and become a Halflife face crab on my helmet then of course that will happen)

My current riding is 95% recreational and I don't ride on the highway. My use case is I'm in the process of exploring every road in San Diego county. I'd like the ability to look down at a print map when I'm at a stop to reorient myself. (By the way, if you want to feel like a time traveler from the past, go into a gas station and ask for a road map.) I'm not originally from SD so I'm learning the roads for the first time. Would definitely help to have a county map to glance at when needed. Suggestions appreciated as always.
I used a cortech magnetic bag for years and loved it. Map pocket in the top was nice, plus storage for things that would otherwise be in pockets, extra food, a little water, etc. It never once slipped.
As stated, keep the magnetic surface clean because it’ll accumulate dust and eventually begin to scuff your tank. Most come with a little leash to put through your handlebars in case it does come loose. Get one with a rain cover built in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Most come with a little leash to put through your handlebars in case it does come loose.

In my experience the leash is entirely unnecessary and is only there as a cover-your-rear end thing on the part of the manufacturer. I've never known a magnetic bag come loose.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have this bag (magnetic version) and it's great, never had any issues with it coming loose at high speeds. I usually use it in the smaller configuration so I can see my dash, but it's nice to have the extra space when you need it. I've definitely had more than 10lbs in there and it's been fine.

Only thing I've ever had go wrong was my fault - I had my phone in the top clear pocket so I could use it for navigation, which is fine and secure by itself, but I had it charging from a portable power pack and the cord was such that it was putting pressure on the phone and making it want to come out of the pocket. I then felt my phone hit my leg as it bounced onto the 405 during rush hour, so I had to write that phone off (and I lost all my photos that I hadn't backed up from a trip to Tahiti, which was even worse than having to pay the idiot tax of buying a new phone).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I've been using a Givi magnetic tank bag, and like others have said, the extra strap that goes around the handle bar is very unnecessary since the magnets are hella stronk.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

MomJeans420 posted:

I have this bag (magnetic version) and it's great, never had any issues with it coming loose at high speeds. I usually use it in the smaller configuration so I can see my dash, but it's nice to have the extra space when you need it. I've definitely had more than 10lbs in there and it's been fine.

There's a low profile version of this I think I'm going to snag. Appreciate all of the recommendations! Bought a foldable map online from Rand McNally and I can store it beside my Sanka and my Matlock VHS in my new tank bag.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
After riding around in a parking lot for an hour and coming home with a pounding headache, I'm left to conclude that I bought the wrong shape helmet.

I wish more retailers would sort helmets by head shape. (I did try on my current helmet before buying it and didn't notice any problems at the store).

T Zero fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 16, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You a round head or an oval head or an in between?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
The helmet I had (HJC i10) is labeled as an intermediate oval on Revzilla, but I'm feeling pressure on the sides of the top of my head, which leads me to believe I'm more round.

I found a similar HJC that's supposedly rounder (CL-17), but it's been discontinued, so I'm trying to find websites that have my size in stock.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

Magnetic tank bags work fine. Two caveats - your bike has to have a steel tank, and they will scratch your clearcoat/paint over time just like a strapped bag does.

This was my only issue with them as well, no issues with staying put. I had a Cortech. If you care about your tank clear coat, wipe the magnet area of the bag off before putting it down to remove any metal bits the magnets may have picked up and keep the tank clean and waxed.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I believe revzilla has a fairly good helmet policy so if you buy any from them you can wear it around the house for a bit to see if its the right shape, if not return it for another.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

T Zero posted:

The helmet I had (HJC i10) is labeled as an intermediate oval on Revzilla, but I'm feeling pressure on the sides of the top of my head, which leads me to believe I'm more round.

I found a similar HJC that's supposedly rounder (CL-17), but it's been discontinued, so I'm trying to find websites that have my size in stock.

The IS-17 and i70 are for round heads.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

The IS-17 and i70 are for round heads.

They're not snell certified though. Is that a big deal?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

They're not snell certified though. Is that a big deal?

The i70 will never pass SNELL because of the internal visor regardless of how safe the shell is.

Is it a big deal? Depends, like most things. ECE (latest regulations 22.06) and FIM are the only standards that also account for rotational force.

I think some tracks require a SNELL helmet, so check on that if you're doing track days.

Regulations are weird and interesting.

Check out UK's SHARP ratings also if you want additional data points.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 16, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
SNELL only matters if you go racing

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't worry about SNELL.

Those 2 are both ECE and Sharp, and therefore Will Keep Your Head Safe when you are riding on the street.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Don't worry about SNELL.

Those 2 are both ECE and Sharp, and therefore Will Keep Your Head Safe when you are riding on the street.

I've had an i70 since last year and I didn't even realize that it had an ECE test until five minutes ago. HJC only stickers it for its intended location, so the US and Canada get a DOT sticker.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What's the deal with airbag vests? Anybody done a deep-dive on what's available?

From where I'm sitting theres:

• Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 - Standalone A* vest with a street 'map'. Requires a either a Tech-Air jacket, or a looser fitting jacket w/ 4cm gap between jacket and body.
  • Alpinestars Tech-Air Street - "Clip In" A* vest for street. Requires a Tech-Air jacket. Not suitable for trackdays, More expensive than the Tech-Air 5.
  • Alpinestars Tech-Air Race - "Clip In" A* vest for trackdays. Requires a Tech-Air jacket. Not suitable for street riding, Even more expensive than the Tech-Air Street. (double the cost of the Tech-Air 5)
  • InMotion jackets - Variety of options, both Standalone (Klim AI-1), clip-in (Held Evest Clip-In), and built-in (RST GT Airbag)
  • Dianese D-Air - Standalone & Inbuilt jackets/suits.
  • Tether Products - Helite. Not going to bother, feels like last-gen tech.

From what I can tell, the A* line are all mostly the same, and have no upfront costs. But if you want to have an airbag for trackdays you're looking at $$$$$$, there's no 'race' mode.

The InMotion products appear to require a subscription. But I can't quite work out if most products come with the 'brain'. Does have the benefit of coming with a Track mode.

The Dianese line seems sparse enough to ignore for now

There's also little information on the coverage of the vests. The A* line cover the shoulders completely, the InMotion products just cover over the top of the shoulders, and the dianese line varies. Why the variance? Does the A* vest protect me from a specific shoulder injury?

What am I missing?

Can I get away with a snug-fitting airbag-designed jacket to deploy safely with another airbag brand?
Is InMotion the only company that'll provide street and trackday protection?
Does the A* Tech-Air 5 "4cm gap" thing as loose as it sounds?

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 16, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Tech Air Race has both race and street modes. Race is basically disabled at sub 30mph. Street is always on, eg if you’re rear ended. You need a laptop to switch modes I believe. Street and race vests are not interchangeable. Street is more for adv style gear while race is for leather/sport stuff.

I bought a tech air compatible jacket because I intended to buy a vest at some point. Alpinestars has the best coverage from what I can see from the marketing materials. I also like that it’s modular so I can ostensibly swap the vest from a suit to a jacket, or I can send the airbag in for service and put in traditional armor in the interim.

I am a little concerned with the sizing though. My jacket with chest and back protector fits just right. Not sure how it will be with the air bag, which looks to be pretty bulky. Hopefully I don’t have to size up. I should check with a local shop if they have any in stock to check fitment. Medium size seems to be consistently sold out.

I thought tech air 5 supported both street and race, but I could be mistaken.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Phy posted:

I've had an i70 since last year and I didn't even realize that it had an ECE test until five minutes ago. HJC only stickers it for its intended location, so the US and Canada get a DOT sticker.

DOT is worthless, but yeah, the i70 is good and ECE-ed. When in doubt, just check UK websites for Good Helmets that are all ECE-ed (by law).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Toe Rag posted:

All on one truck! And to show he has heart...

FWIW thats the standard dealer frame for them and he just hasn't removed it yet or too lazy to.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any recs for moto boots with over the ankle protection but don't look like Transformers feet? There's so many I'm not sure where to start.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any recs for moto boots with over the ankle protection but don't look like Transformers feet? There's so many I'm not sure where to start.

What kind of riding? All street, some street some dirt, etc?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The answer is the Forma Adventure Low boots. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/354713

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Gorson posted:

What kind of riding? All street, some street some dirt, etc?

All street, commuting and weekend warrior stuff.

I guess the smx plus are only mildly transformer-ey?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

They're even nicer in brown:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well those are pretty drat nice, and cheaper too.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have two pairs of them. Love em. So comfortable and also light.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Daytona touring star GTX . Or road star GTX. Some of the Best boots money can buy and quite affordable second hand.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 22, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am going to be doing driving lessons at some point. If I have to meet the instructor and his car somewhere, I'll be going to that point on my bike.

Unfortunately, I've seen in the past where if I've worn big boots during driving lessons, sometimes feeling for the pedals/ dexterously manipulating them / or even getting your foot in the toebox where the pedals are, is difficult.

Therefore, I will carry some sort of regular shoes with me to those lessons, so I can drive comfortably (and leave the boots in the car boot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
Any recommendations for a motorcycle tool kit? I'm looking to install frame sliders and maybe do oil changes on a japanese sport bike.

I'm guessing I'll need a torque wrench and metric sockets. Anything else? Am I better off buying tools separately or in one of those combo kits?