Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

V-Triple Souperbike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
My daily driver Bell Star is 6 years old now and getting a bit scrappy, so its new helmet day soon.

I've been looking for one of these Race Star's since last year but could never find my size or anywhere with stock. Stumbled across one in my size on sale with a free tinted visor too thrown in too! Might arrive tomorrow.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

V-Triple Souperbike
That's the Phởster

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I’ve been wondering about Aerostitch lately and then FortNine releases a video about it:

https://youtu.be/Yp5dLWIKyd8

not-Ryan is starting to win me over.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I decided to be exciting and upgrade my aging RF-1200 to... an RF-1400. :dumbbravo:

Same size as before, XL, fits fine once it's on (it's a tiny bit tight but I expect that to go away in a few hours of riding)... but holy gently caress does it hurt my ears to take off. I'm having flashbacks of being birthed, it's so tight, but man, the feeling is great when it's on.

Is that a common experience with the 1400? Is it just because I haven't worn a brand new helmet in 6 years? Is it just because of the bigger cheekpads in the 1400? I've heard discussion about how you have to pull the straps outward, but I don't make a habit of undoing the double d-ring every time i take a helmet off. Seems goofy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spouse posted:

I don't make a habit of undoing the double d-ring every time i take a helmet off. Seems goofy.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so you're complaining that it's hard to take the helmet off without undoing the chin strap? is that right? Are you just loosening it and pushing it over your nose or something??

fully undo the chin strap and pull the two sides outward, as the helmet designers intended, and it won't pull your ears off. :psyduck:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I think newer helmets are doing everything they can to close that noisy neckhole, so that might be part of the problem.

How, uh, how are you getting a helmet off without pulling the strap out of the D-rings? I’ve been fully undoing them since my first helmet at age eight. Am I the weird one?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so you're complaining that it's hard to take the helmet off without undoing the chin strap? is that right? Are you just loosening it and pushing it over your nose or something??

fully undo the chin strap and pull the two sides outward, as the helmet designers intended, and it won't pull your ears off. :psyduck:

I've literally never done that. I just loosen it all the way (while still attached) and then pull it forward while pulling the helmet off. Has never been an issue on HJC or Shoei (the only helmets I've ever worn).

I will try it the way you people seem to think it's supposed to be and report back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

spouse posted:

I've literally never done that. I just loosen it all the way (while still attached) and then pull it forward while pulling the helmet off. Has never been an issue on HJC or Shoei (the only helmets I've ever worn).

Fwiw I do this too but the only double D helmets I've had have been shoei, other stuff has had a quick release

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

spouse posted:

I’ve never done this, nor ever thought of doing this, nor seen anyone do this, nor ever heard anyone say they do this, until now.

I suppose it would be faster to never fully undo the strap. You get to decide if you want to save 3 seconds, or have sore ears. Please try both and report back on your decision.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What on earth.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Make sure the cheek pads are fully snapped in. When I installed my comm system on my RF-1200, I didn’t connect them properly, and it hurt bigly. I found the pads not snapped in on the X-Fifteen I just got as well, which I thankfully checked before trying on. I wear a little skull cap thing now anyway just to avoid dealing with my ears folding, ear plugs unsealing, etc.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
the thought of completely undoing and redoing the D-ring every single time i remove or put on a helmet is absolute madness

you unsnap the button closure, loosen until the button stops the strap from coming completely through, then loop your thumbs through the strap and against the front while gripping the upper chin with the rest of your hands and pull it up and past your face

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I just tried leaving it looped during removal for the first time and the strap scrapes my nose and the process scraped my cheeks somehow, and I'm kinda relieved that my life has not been a lie.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Next one of you will say you don't unbutton all the buttons when you take off a shirt

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the thought of completely undoing and redoing the D-ring every single time i remove or put on a helmet is absolute madness

you unsnap the button closure, loosen until the button stops the strap from coming completely through, then loop your thumbs through the strap and against the front while gripping the upper chin with the rest of your hands and pull it up and past your face

This is what I do.

I just tried the "fully undo the D-ring" method, and yeah, it didn't change anything. Comfy going on, pain coming off even when stretching out with the straps. My cheekpads are fully on, all snaps in place. I think it's just a brand new, tight helmet that needs to break in a bit.

Remy Marathe posted:

I just tried leaving it looped during removal for the first time and the strap scrapes my nose and the process scraped my cheeks somehow, and I'm kinda relieved that my life has not been a lie.

This has never happened to me ever.

I think we all have secretly freakish faces oriented towards our naturally found D-ring loosening or unlooping methods of helmet removal.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oval head d-ring threaders represent

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
It has to be a head shape thing. I just went and tried to take my helmet (Scorpion R1) off without unthreading the strap from the D ring and it was super awkward/uncomfortable. Either that or ya'll are wearing your helmets too large.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Y'all weird. Undoing and redoing the D rings is just totally automatic, I don't even consciously think about it. Like tying shoelaces, what do the non-undoers do there? Or do you wear hilarious Clarks velcro shoes?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

knox_harrington posted:

Y'all weird. Undoing and redoing the D rings is just totally automatic, I don't even consciously think about it. Like tying shoelaces, what do the non-undoers do there? Or do you wear hilarious Clarks velcro shoes?

Or for an actual picture I took:

Crocs baby, not even velcro

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 21, 2023

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
We may have just discovered the “wipe sitting down / standing up” divide of motorcycling, where each side is astounded to find the other side exists.

I just tried with the strap tied on my old GT-Air 1 (similar shape to the RF-1200), and gouged the heck out of my face with sideways straps. I’ve been doing up d-rings since I was eight and can do it in my sleep. Y’all are weird.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The primary reason to undo strap is that it pulsl the cheek pads apart and don’t destroy your ears when putting the helmet on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Do you seriously undo your laces every time you take your shoes off? How long does it take you to go anywhere at that rate?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sorry Slavvy but this is one thing in motorcycling where you are just plain wrong.

I am currently out at a ride with 250+ people and every single person I saw taking off their helmet undid the strap all the way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong way, it works for me and is probably down to head shape whether it works for you or not.

I can't imagine untying my sneakers every single time though, god what a bore.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

*in my best mom voice*
You’re gonna ruin the heels of your shoes doing that mister!!!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Slavvy posted:

Do you seriously undo your laces every time you take your shoes off? How long does it take you to go anywhere at that rate?

lol my dad does this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

most of the time yes. how long does it take you to tie your shoes? for me it is about 6 seconds per side

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Either you folks are having two different discussions or there are people who actually lace/unlace the little holes in their shoes on the reg, like not speedlaces or just the top holes to get your fat foot out, the whole shoe. If that's what anyone is saying, no, no that's not right.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean your shoe laces are tied in some kind of knot right? So you can undo that knot every single time, or you can just slip your shoe on and off like a loafer. I realize this isn't possible on all shoes out there, I imagine sagebrush wears the squarest leather dress shoes every day with tiny little laces cinched mafia tight, but with sneakers I've done it with every pair I've ever owned and it was fine.

Fwiw it's not possible with work boots unless you want to clomp around in loose boots, horrible, and I solved the problem by getting lace up boots that have a zip on the side for taking them on and off without untying the laces.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Some lazy rear end mfers up in this thread.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh no not laziness!! The greatest evil the protestant mind can imagine

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I unsnap and loosen and pull my helmet off. Having to redo the d rings every time sounds hard can you do it with gloves on?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Strap-on perverts itt

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
If you could tie your shoelaces like this you would look for every opportunity to put shoes on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qZpQe_4EA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I unsnap and loosen and pull my helmet off. Having to redo the d rings every time sounds hard can you do it with gloves on?

I find it really difficult with gloves on, it's probably why I stopped doing it

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Upgrade to BOA dials already! Cinch and go.

It was kind of interesting to see them migrate from cycling shoe where they were common for a decade + now to be found on regular runners just a few years back.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://a.co/d/7lPeB3A

This is how I solve the helmet problem.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM97nbRsKfc

Yeah, uh... Yeah... uh... yep.

Get destroyed, undoers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My lace-up high-tops have a zip on the side and I only buy helmets with ratchet closures