Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

The little weather stripping thing around the base of my RPHA 70 has come loose:

What's the best way to fix this?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Plas...ps%2C226&sr=8-8

This works a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Looking at:

Klim Krios Pro - can get great special pricing on it, fits ok, but only 2 shell sizes sucks. Possibly loud? Good off road. Fits me well.
Bell MX9 - cheap, good offroad?

Thoughts? Finding a few local shops to try them on.

I'm currently using both of these helmets.
For the Krios pro, get the krios 1 visors as a backup to lengthen the lifespan of the transistions visor. I use the transisitions visor on long trips or heading out late/early.
Ditch the peak for road rides and it'll be a lot quieter and reduce neck fatigue to basically nothing. Its stupid light and the aero is well designed.
Goggles on, venting is decent. Probably not as vented as a proper mx helmet but it'll do for adv rides.
use the pinlock. They fog super easy. The first detent could be half of what it is imo.
The visor also seals pretty good in the rain. Glaring at you, Icon.
Peak on, yeah it's kind of loud, I wear earplugs anyway.
Prior to this Krios I was using an Icon variant. lovely build, Loud as hell, no goggles, and made of klrium its so heavy. Thing was always causing aches.
Some people complain that the main vent feels cheap. Yeah, at $700 it kind of does, but it hasn't broken on me yet. Still lightyears better than the Icon...

Mx9 is vented well, loud, built to a price point and has mips.
It replaced a Fox V4 carbon in medium that'd cause hotspot after half a day or so.. This one doesn't do that.

The Krios is my dd/do most everything helmet with the mx9 being used for primarily dirt rides and trackdays at kart tracks.
I'm spot on for medium in both helmets using large cheekpads.
Both fit comms pretty well with the Krios being a little easier to install.. (:v: )
On the AT at 1.8m/6' tall I'd probably lower or extend the windscreen. I get buffeting on my husband's AT with the Krios. He's short so its a non-issue for him.To be fair, same problem on the 950 adventure so I run two different windscreens depending on the season.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

This is incorrect, fluorescent colors are very much more noticeable than anything else during daylight, retroreflectors only help during nighttime. People will see you "magically", because science has made it possible to give items the ability to "light up" by converting UV light into the visible spectrum.

lol. Just loving lol.
I've two bright flouro orange supermoto suits on a once yellow and now a bright orange bike. The ISS can loving see me but the rear end in a top hat in the adjacent lane won't see me as long as their face is buried in their phone.

Flouro high viz? same. No difference.

Remember, cars get hit by trains and fire engines. Those things are typically bright colored, with flashing lights, and loud as hell horns.

You are invisible on a very maneuverable machine. This is your advantage. Use it. If you're using your horn, you're doing it wrong.

Wear whatever color you want and pay attention to your surroundings.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

big brakes save lives.

You were close. So close.

Lexorin posted:

I'm a crap rider and haven't been killed yet, so clearly skill isn't a factor in accident prevention.

Sure the gently caress isn't luck. I've been in the red there for decades.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

I love those Handroids with that ratcheting twisty knob. I don't need it but KRRK KRRK KRRK YEAH I'M A COOL BIKER!

That's known as a boa enclosure. (boafit.com) They're on some road boots as well. Big in non moto communities.

Not a fan of the handroids, I've broken the little plastic decoration on the top. Knox doesn't my dumb hands well in general.
The scaphoid sliders are worth getting.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Upgrade the zippers(lol Astars). I personally prefer the big chunky wetsuit style ykk zips over the super fine fuckers. Get em to plate over the blowout with a reinforcement patch so that it doesn't happen again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Icon is more about style than protection. Helmets or otherwise. I can't recommend their helmets after putting 50,000mi on a Variant.
Find something with mips and go from there. There's no need to stick to the eighties in safety tech because of rose tinted visors.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

All of my icon helmets had something wrong with the fit and finish. One had a misaligned visor gasket so it would whistle at speed (and you can't return after riding with it, so yay), and another had a vent break and started rattling like crazy after a few months. I'm sure they would have worked in a crash, but I have to live with it the other 99% of the time and I'm not inclined to buy from them again. I know I'm the really unlucky edge case but I'm not giving them a third chance.

Oh lets see. I bought this variant @$400 in 2015 and phased it out in 2019. 50+ thousand miles over its life.

The visor's inner "fog-free "coating degrades after about 5-6 month of constant riding. No fear, dish soap and a non-scratch scrub pad takes it right off. Slather on snowboarding products meant for goggles (CatCrap) and its all good. I have uhhh 10 or 11 visors for this helmet now.

The gasket between the visor and the main body never sealed and it'd rain inside the helmet, nevermind whistle like crazy.
The base gasket around the lower body of the helmet came off several times. permanently fixed with Loctites' vinyl trim adhesive(1360694).

The aluminum visor pivot screw galled in the metal threaded base. Requiring me to drill it out, and retap the base. This is about the worst. and I was pissed about it. I do not like the notion of taking power tools to my safety equipment. I replaced both with some black oxide hex cap screws and didn't have any other issues.
The other aluminum screw rattles out, taking the visor and peak with it at 70mph flapping in the breeze.
The vents are the cheapest made shits on the planet and any force whatsoever would snap them. Any dust whatsoever would also bind them. Carried a spray bottle to work the dumb things free.
Annually it saw new pads and hinges. Hinges lasted maybe 8-10 months before the detents snapped and it'd just fly open when I'd turn my head. Pads..yea they're consumables.
It was needlessly heavy at nearly four pounds(1700g), even with my thick goony neck crosswinds would kill me after 5-6 hours.
I never crashed the thing so I've no data on how it does.

gently caress. Icon.

I replaced it with one of the Krios pro koroyd helmets. So far its a decent lid.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

If you're concerned about storage space, and don't plan to do anything other than lubing the chain, a snap jack might work for you. If you want to do more, like taking the wheels off for extended periods, the stands are definitely more secure.

I've been using one for the past 2 years to lube the chain on my DRZ since i don't have room for a proper stand, and it's good enough for that.

The lower leg section from a set of crutches work well and packs small.

My orthopedist had a hearty chuckle over that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They look nice. Can't bring myself to drop 4-500 bucks on a helmet with 1980s safety tech. Might as well buy a fuckin Icon product.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

E: the Russians used a piece of cardboard

:same:

Cardboard..shop towel... chunk of mudflap or roadside debris... etc

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You know this is an illness right

So?

Black gear is like a silver car. Too loving common.

That and nobody is gonna see you regardless of color sooo

Might as well match. Nobody gives a gently caress anyway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Wear proper boots.

Your ankles are fragile and full of tiny bones that get hosed up in ways that are hard to fix and there's no reason to risk walking with a weird limp for the rest of your days post crash if you don't have to.

This. I've run two pair of Sidi CF2s for the last several years and rolling close to 100k-mi. They've protected my feet/ankles from countless injuries that'd need extensive surgery/recovery otherwise.

In '15 or so I got pinned under the klr on a steep rutted out downhill section. Spun my right foot and boot around backwards. Didn't blow the ligaments in my knee but I was unable to lift the bike off my leg. I was riding with others which helped get the loving thing off of me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

It's possible there is a better answer.

no not really.

Febreeze?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

I have about as many helmets as I have pairs of gloves, so yes :D

:same:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

wait is this not true for everyone :confused:

You need some loud in your life.

Ignore the variant, it got phased out in 2019.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

I've been thinking about getting a tech air jacket for my next leather jacket but drat a* gear turns you into a walking billboard

They were a lot worse...
Their two supermoto suits from the mid/late 00s.

S2. Fits good from like 180-210lb. Baggy as poo poo below 175.

The S1 fits me a little better at 175 or lower.

The integrated spine protector makes me look pudgy af but whatever.

Had the S1 overhauled in 2019 from age and numerous crashes. If it survives storage it'll come back out. The plastic shoulder armor was getting a bit crispy and old... May have to contact Astars to see if they'll fix it, if not I'll print my own and get a seamstress to fix it.
White and flouro orange is a bastard to keep clean.

Shame they've still yet to figure out zippers though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Bike gear thread: stops your dick being ground into a stump

We're goons. It barely qualifies as a stump.

right arm posted:

Lol too fat rn for leathers. not pedal biking to work every day (miss u portland) sucks balls

RIP living in the south.

Earplugs: I ran whatever generic contractor edition nrr33s for years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Speaking of dirt, I'm doing a dirt thing in 2 months. They provide all the gear, but I kind of want to bring my own helmet because theirs are probably gross. Is there any reason to not buy a Bell MX-9 MIPS helmet? I was also going to get these 100% Accuri 2 goggles, because I wear glasses. I've never heard of 100% before recently, but supposedly they are good?

Both are fine. I've run both. my goggles lost the reflecting plating at like the 2 year mark. Got my money's worth so whatever.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Road riding needs abrasion resistance, dirt riding needs impact resistance. However its not that cut and dry. Road crashes have impacts and dirt crashes come with some sliding.
The EN1621 standard addresses both segments though its kind of a broad view of both fields of riding.

A CE-L1 piece of armor is designed to transmit 18-24kN to the rider. Ie: this is a lower spec intended for cheaper/lower speed gear.
A CE-L2 piece of armor is designed to transmit 9-12kN to the rider. This is where something like D3O comes in.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They get wet af. Dry it out, hit it with conditioner and it'll be fine.

Aerostich has a waterproof leather touring set.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yea polish cat crap in before your ride and you'll be fine. try for every other or third day then stick with an interval that's just short of your glasses fogging.
2nding that soap works well in a pinch.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Icon gear is mostly fine quality-wise (for the price), but terminally embarrassing styling-wise.

Its not.

Their helmets don't last for poo poo.

In the 4yr/50k-mi i put on a variant:

the basegasket had to be reattached numerous times
hinge supports replaced twice a year. They'll crumble. without detents the visor willy-nilly does whatever the gently caress it wants when you're on a highway.
Visors with this special antifog coating that would last about as long as the hinge supports. also not cheap. Polish it off. use "Cat-crap"
The visor screws would vibrate the gently caress out if I didn't check em weekly. Once causing a visor and the peak to nearly fly off while on a highway.
The peak and visor are sort of integrated at the pivot screws with two extremely cheap as poo poo clips up top. High winds will push the peak off said clips. 3M VHB cures it.
Heaviest in its class at almost 4 pounds, not to mention poor ventilation while still being as loud as a mx helmet.
And my personal favorite. one of the visor retainer screws galled in its threads. Resulting in having to take power tools to a helmet to drill it out and retap it.

If you don't ride much, care about your noggin, or need gear that stands out to pick up guys at the local gas station, you're set.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

I hope you bought a new helmet long before then?

I did. its why its 4yr/50k and not 7/60.
Using a Krios pro now and a bell mx9.
Which ofc dammit the krios pro has loud colors now. They only had carbon black a few years ago.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

I hate being cold, which is part of why I live where I do. It was 80 this weekend :c00l:

Same.
Winter is best visited on my terms.
Heated gear is awesome, get some.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

I just wish to god that someone would come up with some kind of heated helmet insert.

Snowmobile helmet. They have electrically heated visors.
They fuckin rule

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Furious George posted:

lol yeah I think so...I noticed after I posted that they have Ruroc condoms on their store and that made me reevaluate things a lot

With as crappy as their helmets are I wouldn't trust those.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

I've been idly throwing the MX9 idea around, just really depends on how badly I want a less sporty looking helmet vs spending actual earth dollars I could spend elsewhere :haw:

solution is more than one helmet.
I also run a mx9 as a beater/supermoto/dirt bs helemt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
drz and the 950 wouldn't bumpstart. Most the other shitbikes I've had would. fzr didn't have a starting system for like three or four years other than push the fucker and jump on.
DRZ at least had a kickstarter but even then that was a hearty bastard. Drop it in third, roll the bike backwards till it was against the compression stroke. Put it back in neutral, give it a hearty kick.
Then remember to turn the key on.

The best alternative to a jumpbox and faffing with tenders is to just ride the bike.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Get comprehensive insurance.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

Already done before I even brought the bike home.

If it's not a 1 of 5 hand built bike go ride and don't worry about it. And even if it was, go ride it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
US cut D suits sure the gently caress are. Beer guts and tiny little stick legs. Euro suits tend to have more legroom since biking is prevalent rather than taking the 2500 ram to work or someshit.

It seems to me after they got big/widespread here their fitment changed. I've had some of their 80s/90s suits that fit really well, and some of their more modern suits that didn't fit at all.

tbh it's a pain and kind of trial and error. mostly error.
Astars and Spidi are about the only ones that fit me worth a gently caress with long thick legs and a stubby bullshit torso.