Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

queer illuminati hits different these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Hey come on there's also uh....Nextwave?

Hmm, perhaps Mark Millar does lick goats.

[ side-eyes the second kingsman movie ]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FF14's presentation is pretty limited by virtue of being an mmo so the soundtrack has to do a lot of the heavy lifting. The game doesn't really start to find its identity, musically, until about when you fight Titan for the first time way back in the early game. After going through zone after zone of your typical orchestral fantasy music, he shifts into his final phase and suddenly buttrock kicks in and some dudes are shouting at you that they're an armadillo and then some guy screams TITAAAAN at you through a megaphone from a distance.

It was definitely a big wtf moment when I first started playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDEPwFmBQXM

But yes there are some absolute bangers in the ost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIRYjP1NNM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc79dfqb44s

along with some nice tracks to vibe to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc-svJHHdxU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFC4umN_JBw

as well as your fairly typical Christmas Carol remixes of old Final Fantasy standbys, including a version of the track that plays when you fail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQV3oEbXbY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwJZDVdLyY

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 10, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinitum posted:

That's the general way of it though. WoW has the same 'problem'.

The story basically assumes you are The Protaganist, your guild is A Band Of Adventurers, and all the primary plot characters do all the heavy lifting.
You're generally there just to be the murderhobo.

I think some of the recent chronologies for WoW finally put to rest which faction canonically kills which raid bosses as well.

This gets less true for the WoL as time goes on but it's the sort of thing that creeps in slowly. Stuff like the Dark Knight questline and the Shadowbringers main scenario end up being more personal stories than they first appear going in, but the bulk of the story fits into that more typical mmo mold until the writers get more comfortable breaking out of it. There's moments from HW onwards where it's clear the WoL has built up attachments to certain characters. After a couple of betrayals involving poisoned drinks the WoL clearly starts showing signs of PTSD whenever alcohol gets involved, and one late game sidequest even gives you the option to decide if and how that trauma might still affect the Warrior of Light.

Shadowbringers, incidentally, is the expac that allows you to run dungeons with NPCs who have their own chatter and AI quirks. Through HW and Stormblood the story slowly starts treating the WoL's NPC companions as their JRPG party, but in ShB this becomes true in a mechanical sense.

ShB even reveals the Warrior of Light's backstory of all things and when you learn it a lot of little details and curious bits of foreshadowing start coming together in retrospect.

But all of this is gated by like 500 hours of mmo-rear end mmoing and I can't in good conscience gush about Shadowbringers without throwing that caveat in there. For most people that's too big of an ask, and honestly they're right. So all I can do is rant and rave about a thing I love with the knowledge that it's not going to get the attention I think it genuinely deserves.

The main villain of Shadowbringers, Emet-Selch, managed to knock Sephiroth from the top spot of a Japanese popularity poll for FF villains. He's a sleazy, smarmy, middle-aged man who basically everybody called a ratfucker just from looking at him. And now he's the most heartwrenching, and thus popular, villain in the franchise. I mean seriously, what the gently caress.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh I definitely think WoW has the advantage as far as scenery goes, FF14's textures aren't great and it's really obvious when you're flying over zones. Which isn't great because the entire overworld in FF14 is basically just flyover country after you're done with any given zone's story arc. There are few zones whose music really sticks in the mind positively and at the moment I can really only name a handful from Shadowbringers. Amh Araeng's got incredibly chill lofi beats, Rak'tika Greatwood's music very quickly turned into a love-it-or-hate it meme in the community, and the Tempest has a quietly evocative leitmotif that get put to even better use as intensely stirring dungeon and boss music at the very end of the expac, to a degree overshadowing its use as zone music. And that last bit goes to show the differences between WoW and FF14's approaches to music and set pieces. This even extends to locations that are, themselves, more set pieces than zones themselves.

The New Nest, the Ishgard Restoration theme I'd posted earlier, is some of the most moving and uplifting music in the game but, though it's the background music for a crafting mini-zone in a city, storywise it and the entire crafting zone are effectively an emotional set piece for the Ishgard's postwar narrative. It's hopeful and idyllic without being insincere or cloying. And it represents reconstruction and reconciliation between two nations who were previously locked in a millennia-long forever war.

And that's the kind of ideas and tone I appreciate FF14 for, as I know WoW is too invested in its own forever wars to really consider exploring this sort of story in a lasting or satisfactory way.

Also the New Nest theme is just Masayoshi Soken absolutely flexing on his piano and I really want to be able to grab it as an orchestrion roll somewhere down the line.

Here's the piano solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFwcFAXVx3I

Runa fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 10, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinitum posted:

They've literally had 4-5 prominent story moments where merging the factions would make 100% sense.

Shadowlands is straight up shoehorning in the faction war again, rather than allow players to have any sense of actual agency, while continuing to show story NPCs frequently interacting with opposing factions.

Despite the fact that I played and left WoW years ago, just knowing this is frustrating as hell.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux posted:

restarting a song bcos i hyperfocused on one instrument and didnt really hear the rest of the track

oh like the guitar in carly rae jepsen's emotion?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm cursed to have the evangelion theme song lyrics taking up so much space in my mental hard drive but that's what you get for being a old millennial weeb

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I got 50k points on a daily challenge in Monster Train

loving finally

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I think I'll wait a bit for next gen.

Gotta love a hundred dollar sackboy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I only read in-game Elder Scrolls books.

I, too, wanna meet Waughin Jarth

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RR can run through painted tunnels, RR has transcended the limits of dimensionality

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux posted:

uh huh and i guess to you super sonic is still bound by the laws of this world? weird take

Super Sonic can compete but only while his ring supply holds out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Kiryu Coco" is censored in Genshin Impact and I will not support mihoyo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

homeless snail posted:

they're probably preventing hololive from streaming their game also, a bunch of them were talking about it before but suddenly aren't, and all the nijisanis are playing it. lovely situation

I think those censor lists are pretty widely distributed so I'm guessing she's banned in lots of games by now

Ugh

I want to point out to the posters who just a page or two ago were making fun of people concerned about China that there's a Chinese censorship scandal impacting the game right now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stux posted:

some would say there is a marked difference between "x and y are being censored in this game" when x and y are in fact being censored in the game, and "installing this game from china will hack my pc" because its from china, however its impossible to say if these two things are t ruly different

Well aight.

Still, I'd probably care less about this if bilibili weren't trying to get Coco and Haachama fired.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I'm getting another console it sure isn't going to be for another couple years.

Now upgrading my PC, that's a bit more pressing. But probably the PS5 since that's where Japanese games tend to show up first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

That JRPG can still be compelling because it can have a really good story, and that's something that's hard to pull off in an MMO context very well. Different designs have different strengths.

If we're talking JRPGs then FFXIV by and large has a pretty decent storyline. Shadowbringers in particular has an excellent storyline.