Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I fell down the rabbit hole right into a gigantic pile of poo poo.

I feel bad for the CN and EN girls, CN for the obvious reasons, but I think Cover's gross mishandling of this situation is gonna stop a lot of the growth for the EN girls. Coco and Haachama at least have established fanbases in Japan to fall back on and despite the massive amount of subs the EN girls' following probably isn't all that tied down to them.

Then again people are still eating up Blizzard's poo poo even after what they did was worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I think whether or not Coco leaves is entirely dependent on what was said between Cover and her. If it was an actual punishment from them, good chances are she'll bail the first chance she gets. If it was a "We'll say X to save face, but we're cool on the real" I think she'll stick around.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

But I also feel like people are being very overdramatic in general about how much the CCP gives a poo poo, both about the Coco situation and in this theoretical scenario against the HoloCN girls.

On one hand the NBA still is/was not aired in China after the restart (the league didn't do poo poo when the Free Hong Kong thing blew up though) and on the other a young girl behind an anime avatar read youtube statistics and was already thrown under the bus. So who knows where this falls, but honestly seems too small fish for the gov't to deal with. I think what Cover was not expecting is the size of the backlash they're getting from the Western audience right now. What's funny is they're about to go back into the office in a few hours and walk right into a shitstorm (again).

I think the best thing for them right now is to basically take Coco out of China and have her broadcast exclusively on youtube, she doesn't make them money over there and it's not worth the headaches. At the same time this whole thing probably has endeared her even more to the Western audience, so she'll come back with even more popularity over here. Would not be surprised if the EN girls stayed low-key this week.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 27, 2020

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

For all the people interested in Nijisanji but don't know where to go, Nijisanji has its own English clip channel.

Thanks for this, anyone have any recommendations on funny streamers? I love Pekora's pranks and Haachama's weird rear end sense of humor, are there any other v-tubes with those "styles"?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So the EN girls have had streaming issues today and Kiara calling Amelia as tech support to help her is the cutest thing.

E: legit the moment the word got out those scumbags were pulling Coco's vids, youtube's algorithm immediately stopped recommending me their vids, so for once it's doing good?

Lyer fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 28, 2020

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Regarding the PC upgrades, they're probably all waiting (Ina said she was waiting on one for sure) on the new Nvidia cards that were released last week...to which scalpers bought most of them, so it'll be a few weeks.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I don't think anyone knows since no normal person looks to have been able to get one :v:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oh man, Amelia, Gura, Ina, and Kiara all just updated to have back to back streams starting at 5pm Pst today. Looks like I ain't doing poo poo for the rest of the evening.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

You say, as Ina draws a picture of Marine titled "I'm horny".

Which promptly sells for nearly a thousand.

(in Passpartout)

Ina is my favorite by far because of her calm demeanor and soothing voice and then when she goes off and does/says poo poo like this makes her even more fantastic.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kiara hiding the chat from the stream, which is a pretty smart move now that I think about it as short term stop gap.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Elephant Parade posted:

people aren't trying to imply you think coco's suspension is good, they just think your reading of coco's coworkers (and possibly broader japanese culture) is completely off-base

Especially since she's helped out a bunch of them on a personal level with their issues...and if there are any of them who actually are mad at her, well she knows who her real friends are at this moment.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Sindai posted:

More importantly, there's another exciting episode of Pekoball Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqJty9bR5M

The next episode teaser at the end of this one is especially good.

Was about to link this, the vid is basically the reason why I love Pekora condensed into one video.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Squiddycat posted:

For real I hope Coco is emotionally OK tho

Seriously, I hope she'll able to unplug from social media for most of the time away. Doing that poo poo helps tons.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Squiddycat posted:

Did Polka ever show up to her stream or is the circus fox loving gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GZZqPe8ZIk

She's starting to be one of my favorites, Polka has this good sense of comedic timing if you will, knows when to turn it up and be crazy and knows when to dial it back.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm under the impression that it's not an uncommon thing to be done in Japan, I vaguely remember that happening to a Nintendo CEO.

Also I think this statement is aimed at the western audience, basically trying to get us to not be foaming at the mouth anymore.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jerkface posted:

I don't know who this is placating because I don't like the idea that "talent was being harassed and threatened and so for their safety we disciplined them"

Total speculation here, but to the Chinese audience, they were disciplined. To themselves it's probably an extended vacation that's paid for under the table.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Reclines Obesily posted:

reading between the lines i gather this is the end of simulcasts on bilibili, videos will probably need to be vetted before restreamed on that platform

Would not be surprised if Coco and Haachama are quietly yanked from there and are given more focus in the West (more EN collabs).

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You know, after watching the streams over the past few days, I think I prefer the chat to be off the screen. It really cuts down on the attention seekers trying to screw with the girls, so it lets them just focus more on the content they're doing. I also liked how Amelia filled up the empty space with rotating fan art, gives people something else to look at, while at the same time lets her show some appreciation to some of her fans.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Who is Ao-chan exactly in Ina's stream? Her manager?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

Ame used to only shower once a week.

she knows her audience

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I was not expecting Gura to be that good at singing holy poo poo. Went acapella for a bit trying to remember of the songs, which was good. Can't wait to see what she can do with some practice and preparation.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Today has had a ton of good streams, hell, this week even from the EN girls. Collab ban is lifted in two weeks? They're probably going to be crazy good by then.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Holy poo poo, now Pekora is going to experiment on the villager children lmao.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

My god, Pekora succeeded...turned a villager into a zombie and cured the zombie back. I'm hoping this gets clipped and translated, it's been hilarious throughout even without any editing.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Holy poo poo I thought the dumb clipart head on the stream was just supposed to represent the viewer, not that the microphone actually looked like that.

What is the actual intended purpose for that microphone?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Aurora posted:

gura: 'i cried after i went offline'

gura.....

If the response in stream and everywhere else afterwards wasn't an affirmation of her skills by everyone, I don't know what else would be.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I wonder what Callie's "big announcement" will be tomorrow? The only thing I can remotely think of is that she's dropping another track.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Belan posted:

And now it has a copyright strike?

Is that really bad for Amelia? In terms of what got Mio suspended a while back? I'm not too clear on what happened back then.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Gotcha and the strikes ago away after a certain period of time right?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Oh drat, so Mio really has to watch out for her streams then.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I don't know if it's just the youtube algorithm at work, but I almost never see Flare clips. Is she just not that popular with translators or something?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Was this before or after her eugenics experiments?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Haha Callie bought another chocolate scone for her doom stream for when she inevitably gets salty.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The EN collab was nice, I like how dedicated to their character Kiara and Mori are while everyone else is kinda like pfffhhh

I kind of feel Amelia's real personality is wayyyy more interesting than her character backstory and it looks like she realizes that, so she smartly leans in on it.

The collab was fun and you could see them start to gel as a group over time. I think they've gotten the individual collabs down pat, but there's still some awkwardness when they're all together (getting a feel for when to talk and when to take a step back). It'll probably fix itself as they get used to each other though.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I think as they get more comfortable with what works, they'll know when to throw in the character gimmick to make things more interesting.

Need to see more, but Kiara looks to have a real knack at collabs, she's had some really good moments so far in all the ones she's been in (which is not many).

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Tabletops posted:

i wonder if EN will play on the hololive minecraft server? It feels a little odd since ID just started?? playing there a week ago but debuted in uhhhh april?

Kiara actively spoke about wanting to play on the server once the ban was lifted. It's basically the reason why she's playing minecraft by herself now, so she'll know how the game works by the time she's allowed on there.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Amelia rages, Callie gets silent, Kiara cries, and when Ina gets tilted she makes weird noises.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

It either goes by the region of your account (which you can set to whatever when you make it) or you pick it, I forget. It's not by IP though.

If that's the case, it probably makes sense that all the Hololive members have their accounts created by someone at cover and they're just given the password.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Manager MVP. I wonder made her move from the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So looks like Kiara's first collab outside EN will be with Subaru, she said that she wanted to get to know Pekora better before asking her.