Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

blossommirage posted:

This happened to me with Guitar Hero 3 for some reason. Is it only Tetris that has that?

Shadowlyger posted:

No, it's basically any repetitive action. Do something often enough and your brain optimizes to do it better. The dreams are thought to be a side effect of this optimization process.

there's an old Coco bit about this exact phenomenon among speedrunners (slightly NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tqhIVhuoAk

e: that sure is a great preview image youtube picked for it

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Brunom1 posted:

I thought people were exaggerating, but Gura might actually have a shot at beating Korone and Fubuki to the 1mil mark: she's set to pass Coco today, and might well beat Aqua and Pekora by the weekend.

Looking at her stats over the past week, she averages 16-20k subs a day (!), while Fubuki and Korone average around 3-4k and 5-7k, respectively.

Assuming everyone maintains somewhere inbetween those spreads (18k, 6k, 3.5k), Gura will actually reach a million YT subs 19 days from now, whereas Korone would get there in 21 days, and Fubuki in 26.

Gura seems very consistent in her growth, so it all kind of depends mainly on Korone's growth rate: if she can average 7k subs a day, it'll come down to a photo finish on the 19th day even if Gura gained 20k subs a day.

Do you believe in the power of a?

Trihugger posted:

When Gura hit 600k subs, people were saying that surely she couldn't maintain, but she's only been getting faster as time goes on. I think before the karaoke stream she was at 16k average.

As far as I know, she's coming from from the maybe unprecedented situation of having been a youtuber with more subscribers than any individual Hololiver prior to starting with Hololive. Those fans seem to have caught on to who Gura is and are coming over, so she had an unusually big pre-existing reservoir and the tap's been left running.

This isn't to say she's not brought in a frankly huge number of new people with e.g. shark karaoke, but it does seem to say: she's very very good at being popular online

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I really wish I could buy prints of vtubers' art sometimes yeah, but I don't know if they'd have to do that through their management or if they could just straight up set up their own store

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Jerkface posted:

Its a meme from her channel where she was asking what TBH meant and her chat made it something like "totally bad hentai" or some such, I forget the exact abbreviation for TB

not "totally bad hentai", "tabun hentai" as in "maybe hentai"

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Black Mage Knight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_gkdcrCe0
Amelia trying her hardest to navigate a verbal minefield.

I like how she gets close to a pretty decent Porky Pig impression in the middle of all this

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Fubuki's current growth is slower than either Korone or Gura, and probably won't hit a million for over a month. Korone and Gura are both on target to hit that mark in a few weeks. I think it's practically a coin flip which of those two gets there first, but I would bet on Fubuki getting there third.

But then, anything can happen in a few weeks

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
i feel like calli fell asleep for a few minutes several times

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
the prospects of Coco/Haachama collabs with holoEN have been talked about a lot in the past but drat the idea hits different now that we've actually gotten to know the EN crew, actual EN/JP collabs are immanent, and so are Coco and Haachama's returns

homeless snail posted:

The billibilli fanbase is hardcore and is driven by big volunteer subbing teams that are dedicated to each person, the Fubuki team disbanded after she talked about wanting to eat takoyaki with Coco

I don't go on bilibili, but Gura took a swat at the hornet's nest and I still see her getting tons of Chinese subtitle vids on Youtube. Wonder how much of this was just the idiosyncracies of that one team? Might another team fill the void?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
It's pretty clear she's super interested in everything about making music, and probably moreso than anyone else Hololive's brought on board before. As talented as the singers Hololive has recruited can be, they tend to do a lot of covers, and don't tend to write their own songs (though that does happen).

She's clearly in her element when it comes to music in a way most of the Hololivers aren't.

The 3D concerts are probably a big enough deal Cover can assign people to things like songwriting. With Calli, she just does all that stuff herself, so there's no reason she can't just do a concert on her own which is something more than a karaoke stream.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
At risk of some redundancy with what Lt. Lizard has said but I'd already typed it up when the last several posts went up:

It's worth considering that since Cover wants to recruit proven content creators, it's not like everyone that comes on board Hololive is looking to get attention for themselves that they otherwise wouldn't be getting. Plenty of their vtubers seem like they'd be people who'd be successful doing things solo because they were people who were successful doing things solo.

It's not like Cover is just taking unpolished talents and training them to the point Cover's own involvement becomes redundant, as common as thinking through this stuff with that narrative lens has become. They can and do recruit people who are veteran enough they could easily do things on their own but still see some incentive in becoming part of the broader Hololive collective.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I like how both Ame and Gura are looking for each other in their gigantic tunnel system, and are completely incapable of finding anything whatsoever in a structure technically of their own making

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Tabletops posted:

It's kinda wild how much cooler nijisanji is about their talent.

Openly gay? Cool

Trans? Rad

Non binary? Come on down

Just a salary man? K

In general niji seems like a much more welcoming place. Though I'm sure they have had their share of scandals. Part of it is that info is a bit harder to find, at least for me.

who's the trans nijisanji vtuber. I can think of who you're referring to for everyone else

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Teek posted:

First the came for Hachama, next they came for Coco, then they came for BTS: https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bts-faces-backlash-in-china-over-korean-war-comments/ar-BB19XbMg

Hopefully the BTS fan base is big/powerful enough to knock some sense into the zealous nationalists. It’s getting ridiculous.

this whole state of affairs is stupid as hell but I kind of hope it makes some of the idiots who are mad about Coco and Haachama decide they have bigger fish to fry

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
im glad Grimes is probably too busy caring for her baby because otherwise i am certain we'd already have been dealing with the Grimes vtuber persona around now

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
only a month with Hololive and Gura is already married to both Matsuri and Fubuki

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
https://twitter.com/coherentstates/status/1316230490953641987

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
the segment "bottom left" originates from starts around 53:20. they start trying to place kiara on the chart around 1:03:35. watch things really pop off in chat. features bonus "Amelia's arm springs out of its socket several times for some reason"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQI4yf7ZgHU&t=3200s

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 16, 2020

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Calli's made comments about Kiara coming over to her house to annoy her (see "bottom left" vid I linked above) which in retrospect was probably literally happening

edit:

SpartanIvy posted:

I saw someone say Gura lives in Australia. Anyone know if that's true? I desperately want a Gura and Haachama collab, preferably with cooking.

I doubt it mostly because I live in PST time and she's always streaming at times convenient for me.

Sometimes people twist themselves in knots trying to interpret Gura's accent (some even insisting she must have a native language other than English). But it never sounded like anything to me (though I admit I have a poor ear for accents) and she just strikes me as culturally American. It does amuse me the Japanese fans seem to find her most difficult to understand out of the EN crew, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Haachama collab eventually anyways, though.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 16, 2020

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Gura talked about eating "garum" in her recent Q&A video which didn't even occur to me might have been a character bit until I googled and realized it was ancient Greek fish paste

she's almost absurdly poker-faced about slipping into and out of kayfabe

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urN84tJCCt0

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
im glad Calli managed to get permission from Cover to perform Touhou doujin music for her live show

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Patware posted:

i'm pretty sure the permission from the artist is what's actually important there. she pulled the K's / Coro string

she once mentioned she wanted to do an Eminem cover karaoke at one point, but got told "no" by management, so my mind went straight to management veto power, but you could be right

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Calli's going to be using the the entire top 200 remix entries as pre-stream music going forward (out of 804 total)

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Viridiant posted:

The last sentence in that Marine account is what makes me doubt it. The english is too good.

Marine talks to Kiara on Discord and Kiara posts on that subreddit a bunch so she probably just asked her to double check it

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Belan posted:

Cover just confirmed that Coco and Haachama will return on monday.

https://twitter.com/cover_corp/status/1317631969887318016

I noticed there's a bunch of other tweets too but my Japanese is way too poor to read them. I'm assuming it's mostly corporate-speak but one did seem to say there's legal action being taken against people trying to harass Coco? Good if that's so

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Zeether posted:

EN girls on the meme review when

for real that would be weird since so much of the meme review is Coco explaining the joke to the Japanese speakers that don't have the background to get it

e: Kiara might work as a guest host or something though

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Coco's live and actually has the on-screen chat, which is a detail I didn't expect tbh. It goes wayyy too fast to actually read compared to usual lol

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Shadowlyger posted:

I think that's placeholder chat.

You're right I think now that I think of it. It's a pretty hilarious placeholder

(I assumed the repetitiveness was because the bots)

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 18, 2020

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Is there one of these Holos that are a good starting point? The vtuber wiki seems to give a bit of an overload of info and who to start from.

The 5 Hololive English people, Calli, Kiara, Ina, Amelia and Gura, are absurdly popular compared to how recently they debuted (only a bit over a month ago), and I'd say their recent content is intentionally accessible since they were Hololive's first foray into a new market. They mention and interact with their Japanese counterparts often enough it'll probably ease you into it.

Also Coco's thrice-weekly "news" show on Hololive, AsaCoco, did a lot to really solidify the idea of there being a Hololive "universe" rather than it just being a disparate grab bag of vtubers, and she just started making those again today. It's not a serious show but it's still probably how a lot of people came to follow Hololive as a whole rather than just individuals. She also writes English subtitles for those herself and people expect that part to continue (though they take a bit to appear)

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Japanese Holos reaching out to English audiences by speaking English? Or English Holos (does such a mass market thing exist?)

(jesus christ i'm falling in a hole fast)

I don't think anyone really appreciated just how much of an English language market was just laying there for Hololive, let alone anyone actually associated with Hololive themselves

People were saying in this thread that Hololive English would probably end up doing just as well as Hololive Indonesia or Holostars (the all-male subgroup) which are some of the smaller corners of the Holo-world (which is too bad because they put out great stuff). And I don't think that talk wasn't out of any malice so much as "why wouldn't it be like that, they try experiments like this all the time and they make a relatively minor splash"

In any case they're all new English-speaking Holos as has already been mentioned, but the rest are doing way more outreach to English speakers than before. It's probably entirely attributable to the numbers the English branch actually started to bring in, because jesus christ

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Bloody Pom posted:

Who wants to bet Coco will quickly drop her character accent and go full southern twang while collabing with HoloEN?

I hope so. I like when she brings this energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FID9pn2Fczw

But I'm kind of betting that since getting the ENs to cuss in English is such a low bar to clear she's going to try to get them to say stuff in Japanese without knowing what they're saying

Liar Lyre posted:

YouTube recommended me a video of pre-Hololive Gura. At least it sounded A LOT like Gura. It felt wrong.

Talorat posted:

Yeah enough people are subbed to both channels that the YouTube algorithm is making a habit of recommending her older videos to her newer fans. Unfortunately probably no way to fix it without human intervention so I can only imagine it'll become common knowledge before too long :/

The obvious way to prevent it would be for her to actually delete or private her pre-hololive videos, but not only has she not done that, she's actually posted music to her pre-Hololive Spotify account since starting out as Gura. That seems to suggest she's pulling a Coco and keeping her pre-Hololive material right where it was and she's more "dormant" rather than "dead" as her old self. So this is probably going to keep happening

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Misanthropic Void posted:

I don't think "good" is a prerequisite here.

there was once that contest where she challenged her fans to be better cooks than her ("otaku can't cook" etc) but then people flexed incredibly hard on her and showed off literal professsional chef skills. so I'm wondering if the cake guy is going to return or if someone's going to try to outdo him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7DLouYK_BI

e: honestly I don't know much about the holoCN situation but the little I know I've liked what I've seen from them enough I hope things work out such that they can stick around :shobon:

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 20, 2020

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Gura is getting mushy again aww

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've been looking through Urban dictionary for like half an hour now and I still have no idea what poggers is.

it stems from "pog" which was originally "play of game" which stems from what Twitch chat would spam when the streamer does something impressive. it's almost certainly from Overwatch

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Kyte posted:

It was added to twitch in 2012.
It's actually got nothing to do with play of game, or overwatch for that matter. Pogchamp predates Overwatch by 4 years.

SpartanIvy posted:

This legitimately blew my mind

Oh huh, that's surprising.

I wonder if it's caught on so much relatively recently because the "etymology" I was told though (in addition to streaming just becoming more popular)

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Lyer posted:

This small clip just makes me thirsty for an EN collab in all English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCzvPWtIE6o

was it ever made clear who's teaching Marine these words? because I'm thinking it's the doing of the EN girls behind the scenes, which would be hilarious tbh. I'd seen others insist it was Coco but this clip makes it clear that's not the case

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
That answer makes the most sense, though since she mentioned "overseas" I was low key hoping it would've been one of the girls that's literally overseas at the moment, so Amelia or Gura or even Ina

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
there is no way the EN girls aren't aware of Nyanners and less so than scouting her for gen 2 or whatever I want them to collab some day

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Onean posted:

Edit: Aqua talking about getting killed by Gura:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tz6PsTY9Kw

The comments to this video include the detail that one reason Aqua was so surprised to see the EN girls was she assumed she was getting pranked by some of the JP girls impersonating Amelia and Gura until she realized their streams were live, which is incredible

(she only realizes she's not dealing with fakes mere moments before Gura kills her)

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Lyer posted:

Kiara is also planning a semi-serious interview series where she's going to interview every member along with Holostars and translate their answers into English.

E: VVV Yeah it's everyone

something like this is something that's been on my wishlist for Hololive for a while tbh and I'm glad someone has decided to take on that sort of project. lovin' Kiara's initiative

e: the idea occurred to me when it struck me how "talkshow-like" Roberu's interactions with his guests can be and at the time I mostly just got sad that he doesn't get to interact with the Hololive girls more often than he does

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 25, 2020