Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Pikamee is doing an interview with someone on Twitch, and she gave a slightly more expanded personal history than I'd previously heard, and it basically implied that functionally, both Japanese and English are second languages to her, which is a little funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I have a lot of friends whose parents were first-gen immigrants and they all have varying degrees of that story, some of them know their parent's language better than English because that's all they spoke at home and grew up in heavily segmented parts of a city, some of them really only know English with very basic communication in their Parent's language (Enough to get by talking to parents/relatives or small talk but not enough to live in another country alone), and the ones that are closest to fluent in both equally speak with heavier accents in both languages.

It's really rough because they feel they're too Asian to be "Americans" but too "American" to be Asian (Their words not mine). Not just an Asian-exclusive issue, it happens to most kids who have first-gen immigrant parents

That's definitely a thing, but not really what what I was talking about. According to Pikamee in that interview she only knew english, moved to japan and had to learn japanese as a kid and proceeded to forget all her english, and then moved to the US and had to relearn english (and of course moved back to japan and eventually became a bilingual vtuber.) So in a way, they're both her second language and neither is her first language.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

She got 10/25 the last time, right? Progress!

I also realized that I have no idea how to explain the word "mere" without having to switch to my native language

It's a poetic version of "only"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Somehow the lack of haachama scream-singing her own name as an intro makes me MORE scared about this kangaroo cooking stream, not less.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I THINK she's just showing her bug's off, for now.

Edit: Oh god i hear packages opening

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kata-Haro posted:

Just gonna put this grasshopper on top of a slice of kangaroo like garnish

Honestly you could do a lot worse with the dried bugs. It's... not ENTIRELY unlike a crouton.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
This Exercise May Be Beyond Your Limits

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I am not remotely surprised. The youtube algorithm is basically set up where it WANTS to send you down a rabbit hole so you spend as much time as possible watching youtube videos, and previously basically the most effective rabbit hole was right wing conspiracy theories. Having a different rabbit hole to send you down instead is genuinely going to lead to a decrease in the amount of people becoming alt-right nutjobs.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I dunno about that. There's enough stuff on Youtube to make a rabbit hole out of anything someone might be interested in, not just conspiracy theories and anime girls playing video games. What makes vtubers different from cooking, or sport, or retro electronics, or British panel shows, or anything else?

Different types of content can push you into different types of watching habits, and as watching habits go vtubers are actually pretty similar to the watching habits a lot of people in the alt right rabbit hole develop, where people basically have something playing on youtube in the background All The Time. The leading theory I've seen for the youtube algorithm's tendency to basically push people into the alt right is that the algorithm is trying to proactively push people into becoming People Who Have Something Playing In The Background At All Times and the alt right stuff is great for that. But Vtubers are also great for that, so the algorithm is now pushing as many people as possible towards Vtubers now, if we're lucky including people that it would have been pushing towards alt right stuff instead.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Tonight in minecraft, Pikamee learns that when you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Because you're gonna want to kill that bastard's friend too.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"I guess we don't need other languages to create a language barrier."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I had a sudden thought that "orc vtuber" would be a fun gimmick and googled for it, and while it isn't what I had in mind this guy seems fun even if I don't understand Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfjDNdafQk

(Motion tracking doesn't seem to really like controlling the orc mouth though, when he's more zoomed in it looks REALLY BAD.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Pikamee playing Sort The Court and it's interesting to see her be completely unable to read words she read just fine 10 minutes ago if it's preceded with a word she doesn't know how to pronounce.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wudz posted:

Zentraya is about to roll out her newly completed Live2d, and seems to have an entire anime OP as an intro

https://twitch.tv/zentreya

"Where the hell is everybody else's body pillow?"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Pikamee in the middle of talking about her theoretical android-labor-powered utopia when she drops the bomb that the androids "will cry, but not get mad"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dezinus posted:

Pika no!

You, a simpleton: "When you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two grave"

Pikamee, an intellectual: "dig 100, 'cause that's how many of those fucker's i'm killing."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Space Luna somehow uses the exact same idioms as my dad that I never hear anyone else using, it's positively eerie.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wheezle posted:

I think it’s time to confront your dad about his secret vtuber career.

Space Luna can't be my dad because there's no way he could stay up that late but since she responded to me commenting about it by saying she got all the idioms from HER dad, I might need to confront him about his secret other family, with a vtuber career :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wudz posted:

My mistake, this is apparently a returning model maybe?? Or a new version of an old model??? She called this FlashbackFriday so I'm not quite sure.

I'd say it seems more to take inspiration from her original model but... significantly less nazi-y.

The 2d Zentreya streams just aren't the same without Zen's full body language reactions to what's poo poo, so I'm happy it confirms she's not ditching 3d entirely.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Imagine the power if a haachama august.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wudz posted:

that was an extremely familiar reaction, can't blame her at all. "cancer sucks poo poo" is a universal truth

the tweet makes it sound like it was caught relatively early so here's to a full recovery.

for a pick-me-up, Tomoshika is doing an english study stream, and got very confused by "My cat is a lawyer" and the word "will" sounding like a cat meowing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do6Q-OsQSpc

"PISS! PISS! PISS!"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

that strikes me as unlikely considering pikamee asked her viewers to support monoe in whatever endeavor she pops up again in the future

I'd say that means it can't have been MALICIOUS, but it's also basically gotta be bad enough that from what all of them are saying, all of them agreed that she had to go.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Important Information: Pikamee got a cat.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

njsykora posted:

Ok but do we have a picture of the cat yet, this is important.

We do not, but reportedly it is a scottish fold that's ears didn't end up folding and was returned by the first family to get it on that basis.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Smiles posted:

thats a pretty hosed up reason to return a cat!!!!

good on you pikamee im gonna go superchat her cat food money now

TBH I was multitasking and also this was a point where pikamee was switching back and forth between japanese and english a lot so i'm only about 70% confident that's actually what she said? It's definitely a scottish fold and definitely doesn't have the fold properly though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sundae posted:

Not really VTuber-related, but VTuber-adjacent: Someone somewhere has decided that VTuber fans are a fabulous target audience for advertising, because I straight up cannot offer enough $$ to win a bid impression on a channel placement for any major VTuber right now. To give an example: going as high as $4.00 CPV (bidding $4.00 to show the ad one time) isn't enough to garner a single impression on any video (stream or VOD), at any time of day, on Nyanners' channel in the last 13 days. The Google ads manager assigned to my account was able to confirm that yes, my ads are set up correctly and would be running if I was winning bids, but was unable to tell me how high I needed to bid or who I was trying to outbid, except that my bids are "not in the competitive range yet."

Looks like companies think simps are loaded or something. No idea where they got that idea. :v:

VTuber-related: While she's not very entertaining to me, holy poo poo at this model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyr9x513To

IIRC the bid process isn't just about sheer money but scales it to how likely they think the ad is to actually get clicked on. So it's possible the algorithm has just decided your ad is a bad ad and is adjusting it's bid value accordingly. So possibly you just need to try a different ad format.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Pikamee can now take off her sweater when it gets hot and put it back on when it gets cold.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Youtube chat posted:

Bird Impart

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The whole point of The Algorithm is not paying anyone to do things like fix that, I doubt it will ever be fixed unless The Algorithm decides they're not for kids.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Clearly the problem is that their pure japanese talent talks about proper japanese perversion like being a brocon, instead of this foreign american perversion.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Renzuko posted:

pikamee is supposed to be an alien I think. I'm pretty sure they were counting artemis and gura.

Also snuffy called out the "pink cat vtuber" stuff during her raccoon reveal cuz she'd picked it from a random "adopt a character" thing on deviant art.

pikamee is "supposed" to be whatever but is clearly a shark regardless.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sharp teeth plus the blue secondary color just made basically the entire english audience collectively go "electric shark" but I'm not sure whether pikamee herself has ever actually said that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tabletops posted:

What if kiaras outfit is lederhosen with a straw hat

well gently caress, now i'm gonna be disappointed when it's not.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

how'd they got a person that's only played a single RPG in her life

Only finished a single RPG, a very different thing.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
THERE'S the debut Scuff.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sounds like she may have thought she was streaming, oof.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Congratulations elira pendora on probably the first nijisanji EN meme.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I believe she's also the one who had a "kitty pool" filled with merch to lay in on her dreams list so I suspect "Elira writes something out the way she says it" is going to be a consistent phenomenon.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tsilkani posted:

English might be her second language, a couple times in the guerilla stream she'd say something in Japanese and then say she didn't know the word in English.

I'm pretty sure it is but also these are hardly mistakes it'd be unbelievable to see an english native make, in my experience the big thing that sort of thing indicates is mostly just the person in question not being a big reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
No crying kaiju pikamee means kaiju pikamee sucks, crying pikamee is an integral part of the pikamee experience.