Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
And before it even starts, there's already a red superchat from Huke. He must absolutely love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

blossommirage posted:

So I think I mentioned earlier my nephews friend stumbled onto Gura, and it's very interesting to see him get more into it. He currently loves all the HoloEN girls, and has recently started asking me to talk about some of the JP talent as well after seeing "the really weird rabbit" as well as "the gay dog and her cat girlfriend". Unfortunately, while trying to explain what makes Marine cool, I discovered I could not do this, as he is my nephews friend.

I opted to show him some Korone and Pikamee as they're mostly family friendly, which makes it less awkward. He asked me to show him even more next time I see him, and I'm not entirely sure what else to do from here. Anyone have advice?

Subaru, maybe? I've never seen anything unwholesome from her, and there's multiple translators that clip and sub practically everything she says. Kanata and Luna seem pretty much fine too. But if he keeps watching, it's only a matter of time before Youtube recommendations start sending him to the others.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
There's plenty of indie Vtubers already. It's just that people mostly haven't heard of them because they lack the marketing and networking power of an agency.

Hell, there's even former indie Vtubers among the Hololive lineup. Before she joined Hololive, Suisei spent a year as an independent Vtuber who made her own avatar and wrote her own songs, all without any help. Yet she still thought Cover brought enough to the table to join up.

The Hololive brand is making a big difference, especially in the last couple of generations. Some Gen5 members had six-digit subscriber numbers before their debut streams, based on nothing but their character designs and their Hololive affiliation.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Teek posted:

Going to let my inner boomer shine and also admit I'm not 100% on these yet either. I've generally picked up the meaning, but I still have no idea of the origin of it. What is this based on?

During one of the HoloEN collabs, they had an activity where they all ranked each other on a chart with intelligence on the X axis and "pureness" on the Y axis. So the smartest members would be on the right side of the chart, and the most wholesome members would be on the top of the chart. For example, Amelia was placed at the bottom right, since (to VERY loosely paraphrase) she's a smart detective tech but is too gremliny to be idol material.

Huke, Kiara's creator, called for Kiara to be placed on the bottom left of the chart, leading to a discussion where Kiara had to defend herself from accusations of being birdbrained and horny and so on. It took off, and BOTTOM LEFT became a meme.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Kiara explaining Bottom Left to Subaru has been translated now, along with a few other clips from the collab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg6kHFV2wf4

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Lurking Haro posted:

Does Cover not have a recording studio?

Seems like they rent or hire them as needed? Subaru's talked about it before, it didn't sound like Hololive employees running it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aancceCCv30

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Coco and Haachama are doing a meme review or something tomorrow too, looks like. Be afraid, be very afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGp_HRO_CY

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Pollyanna posted:

I can't help but wonder how the overall hip-hop community is reacting to an anime girl coming out of nowhere and taking the top spot.

Given that it's topping the charts, there's clearly no shortage of people liking it. I'm sure searching around will be able to find you entire internet comment sections full of people looking for reasons to complain, but I wouldn't put an overwhelming amount of stock in that.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Misanthropic Void posted:

To my mind I fail to comprehend how Kiara is behind the whole pack (Gura exempt) in subs. I guess she haven't been able to capture the mass western appeal or something.

Her start was rougher than the rest, I think. She didn't have a clear niche right up-front, and it took a little while for her to settle into a comfortable streaming persona and rhythm. Plus some of her earlier gimmicks, like the "say everything in both languages" thing, didn't really work out that well.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Magna Kaser posted:

I didn't know this and find it weird cuz this is a huge part of pikamee's popularity!!!

It's something that has to be done carefully, since saying something in two languages means you're taking twice as long to say that thing, half of which is effectively dead air for most of the audience. That tends to slow down the flow of the stream a lot, and Kiara wasn't really taking that into account when she started, so her early streams (especially the talking-centric ones) kinda dragged on and couldn't really showcase her full extrovert energy. She's getting better at it now though as she gets used to streaming, and also gets to do stream formats that are more friendly to that kind of thing - the format of the debut streams was particularly badly suited to live translating everything.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Pollyanna posted:

Pikamee's mouth is currently stuck open.

Isn't it always?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I expected an Amelia/Haachama collab to be incredibly cursed, but instead it was hilariously blessed

Extremely good vibes

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Onean posted:

I just had a thought on this. I think she's so far really enjoyed the part of creating a rail line and the challenges that come with that. Do any of the recent serious simulators have that aspect, or are they more focused on the operation of a train on an already established line? Like maybe something along the lines of Railroad Tycoon, or maybe she goes deeper down the production hole and dives into Factorio trains and signals. (Just imagine trying to learn train signaling from a stream chat...)

Train Simulator is all about operating a train on an already existing line. There's customization tools, but they're meant more for modders building their own scenarios. Same goes for most of the other big simulators.

For railway building stuff, I don't know anything that beats Factorio and OpenTTD. Maybe Mashinky? Never played that one, though.

If you want to get really deep in the rabbit hole, there's signalling sims like Simsig and Railway Operation Simulator, but I imagine they don't really scratch that infrastructure itch.

Ame's train-building kick is extremely my poo poo and I can't wait for her to migrate to a game that doesn't give me horrid motion sickness like Minecraft streams do. :allears:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Given that the only thing we know for sure about the HoloCN girls' situation right now is that they're facing tons of crap from internet randos trying to make their situation into a crusade one way or another, I don't think it's a great idea to be passing around dubious rumors and speculation. I'd much rather wait for solid news from them or from Cover.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I know a few people have expressed interest in becoming Vtubers here, but is anyone else going forward with it? I'm working on it myself right now - I've commissioned an artist, will be doing my own Live2D rigging, and am working on figuring out pretty much all the other aspects right now. It's slow going, but relatively fun.

It's lonely work right now, though, especially since I'm not super plugged into Twitch or Twitter or the EN Vtuber community in general. If any other goons are working toward a Vtubing debut, I've created a Discord server for goon Vtubers in the making, where we can trade tips and info, share ideas and advice, plan collabs and games, or just plain chat and have fun.
https://discord.gg/s6gqUDsu2Y

I'll probably make a "Becoming a Vtuber" thread here or in LP sometime later too, but I feel like I still need to do a lot more research and planning to get to the point where I could comfortably fill in an OP for that, and I'd like to get an idea of how other potential goon Vtubers are approaching the identity/privacy side of things, since there's not much point making a dedicated SA thread if it turns out that no one wants their Vtubing plans publicly tied to their SA forums account.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Zernach posted:

I really hope she learns all the basics first herself, Terraria can be super rough to start blind. I don't know if the stream chat was new to Terraria too (I doubt it), but it took close to an hour before she stumble on smart cursor. Like cmon chat, that is such a QoL improvement that Coco should have been told about it after the first 15 minutes she kept digging by pointing at each block. And teach her about platforms too, those are mandatory for spelunking and home building.

Otherwise it was funny to see her reactions to it. I just hope the difficulty doesn't stump her too much when it comes to the bosses.

...I cant remember how brute forceable the bosses are in classic anymore, that an option?

The spambots outnumbered the normal chatters, so the people shouting basic game advice tended to get drowned out by random garbage.

Of course, that just led to people eventually sending red superchats with advice instead of using regular chat. :allears:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Lyer posted:

My gut feeling is that the JP girls would probably see a much bigger bump and most likely have a larger membership size from the overseas fans that just don't say anything since it's mostly in Japanese. Coco and Rushia have to be higher than that, it's just weird to me they'd have a lot more 1 off superchatters vs. long term memberships considering they're the top SC'ers in the world, based on that data.

Ina also strikes me as doing hololive and probably her "priestess duties" more for personal satisfaction rather than money.

Given how dedicated Coco's fans are to amusing SC gimmicks, it's likely they don't have any money left for memberships at the end of the day.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

TaikaH posted:

Heya Goons, it's been a real effort getting this together but I'm finally ready to debut what is (maybe) the first Goon V-Tuber!

Work had actually started on this from a couple of months back when I fell down the rabbit hole with the other ADTRW crew, and so I've decided to give this a proper shot, including making a separate account due to have been around the forums for a good while now.

I'll be looking to play some Bugsnax and Demon Souls, so a follow or a retweet would be much appreciated- but feedback would be amazing too! Also happy to answer any questions since I know there's some other peep in the thread interested in giving this a try.

https://twitter.com/HinomiyaTaika/status/1330366984488366086?s=20

Congrats! It's a lot of work becoming a vtuber, in a lot of ways. Do you have a plan for when you're gonna start streaming yet?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Jerkface posted:

One thing that continues to amaze me is how loving good all the rigging and poo poo is on the indie vtubers. Cover is starting to get more quality with the new outfits, but still any Indie is going to have so much more movement + little touches. I'm assuming they're just paying way more for these because they care about quality and Cover doesn't think the juice is worth the squeeze there.

I think that the standards have been raised now that vtubing has taken off harder, and Cover maybe wasn't investing as much into rigging as they are now. This would track with the older avatars tending to have the more obvious problems. After all, having a bunch of bells and whistles on the avatars isn't that important - Pikamee's avatar barely even moves, but she's still got hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

Now that interest is rising in vtubing and it's generally becoming more popular and profitable, the quality standards are rising, L2D riggers are getting more experience at what makes a good avatar, more time and care is being spent on the avatars, and the bar is being raised for what clients and artists alike expect a high-quality avatar to look like.

I do hope that the community doesn't get too wrapped up in having super-detailed avatars, though. A prospective vtuber can buy a really elaborate avatar from someone else if they have the money, and they can buy great OBS scenes and a great video intro and great BGM and so on, but none of that means they're going to be able to be interesting and engaging enough on stream to get a bunch of strangers tuning in for hours a week.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
It looks like AZKi's concerts are being reaired on her channel over the next few days.

https://twitter.com/hololive_En/status/1334323972502999041?s=19

It's unarchived, so if you're interested, be sure to check them out!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Let's not forget Kanata. Probably doesn't have the sheer fitness or stamina of Korone, but if she manages to grab someone...

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
If someone is quitting they're probably gonna just come out and say so, rather than dropping a series of vague hints.

And even if it turns out that they actually were quitting and accidentally let hints about it leak...what actual value do you get from trying to figure it out a day or two early? All you gain from furiously parsing the tea leaves, desperately trying to divine their intentions, is a couple extra days of stress and worry.

Rest assured that if Artemis actually quits, you'll know! It'll probably be pretty big news, given that she's huge among EN Vtubers, is super active on Twitter, and probably paid several thousand dollars for her Vtubing assets. It's not like you're going to miss it and never find out.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Revolver Bunker posted:

https://twitter.com/achan_UGA/status/1337039929252188162?s=20

Can't wait for A-Chan's debut during the live concert. That's how this works right? She sang the song so the contract is binding.

Seems like she's taking dance lessons too, so maybe it's possible.

https://twitter.com/achan_UGA/status/1326150033767424000?s=19

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Kiara's still having her karaoke 40 mins from now, though.

http://twitter.com/takanashikiara/status/1337736964695441408

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

A clarification suggesting that this won't actually be a big deal in vtubing land:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1339338974809174022?s=19

At most, it might result in a little bit of restraint among the most openly horny EN vtubers, which I think is probably a good thing? The EN vtuber community is a little too thirsty.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Reminds me of this Fubuking vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9xhay8fE_k

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
The assassination of Haachama by the coward Akai Haato

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Brunom1 posted:

I wasn't talking about the tatsunokos - lord knows, we're well aware of the situation -, but about Hololive's fanbase as a whole.

It drives me up the wall when I read comments from regular fans on discord and whatnot going "oh, that's still happening?", like it's some kind of far off issue that does not concern them in the slightest (despite the fact that, one, Coco's good friends with so many of the talents, and, two, this would not stop at her - she's just the first target).

Cover's lack of agency certainly doesn't pass the idea that they care, so long as the problem stays contained in Coco's chat, either.

A lot of people follow vtubers because they don't want to be mad at poo poo all the time anymore. I don't want to hear about internet drama or videogame arguments anymore, I don't want my TV screaming doom and gloom all day anymore, I just want to watch the cute gorilla angel hug the dragon that says "Motherfucker" while they relentlessly shittalk each other's personal hygiene. That's why I basically exclusively watch vtubers now. Well, that and the fact that my dog wakes me up so early in the morning that I'm routinely able to catch HololiveJP when they're streaming live.

Yes, it sucks that Coco's chat is still getting spammed. But I'm a member and I report the spam when I see it, and that's basically all I can do. Obsessing over it all the time does not actually accomplish anything, and it's silly to be mad that people are talking in Discord about the cute dog playing Sonic instead of railing endlessly against antis.

Fundamentally, the easy spammability and botability of the platform is YouTube's problem to fix. It's not something the fans can meaningfully do anything about, and it's not even something Cover can do a whole lot about (even though they're clearly trying behind the scenes). And I hope Youtube does fix it. But there's fuckall I can do about it, aside from reporting spam when I happen to see it. And I'm mature enough to accept my powerlessness, rather than leaning into anger and complaining about random uninvolved people just so I can feel like I'm doing something.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Lyer posted:

Hell, all Cover would have to do is just offer free Holo merch and/or memberships and you'd have people lining out the door to do it. I also get the feeling that it's been basically left to Coco's manager to deal with and it hasn't escalated past that (presumably because they probably don't have a very large management hierarchy).

There's a limit to the impact "more mods" can have against fully-automated spambots mixed in with a chat consisting of tens of thousands of viewers. If it were just a few dozen people being jerks, that'd be one thing, but it's not really reasonable to expect human moderators to be able to stand up to regularly-updated spambots supplied with dozens of accounts each, especially in a chat where there's already a five-digit audience slamming in repetitive and barely-coherent messages as fast as they can. You could line up hundreds of mods and they still wouldn't be able to prevent the antis from messing up Coco's chat. It just doesn't scale to that degree.

That's something that needs to be attacked from the platform side. Much more powerful moderation tools can help, but the real solution lies with limiting the ability to create large amounts of spambots accounts in the first place. And that's solidly in YouTube's camp to solve.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
haachama's power is absolutely unmatched

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

reignonyourparade posted:

Imagine the power if a haachama august.

you can just look at last August for a preview of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPAyH0yHtaM

leather fedora posted:

Haachama is an alternate timeline Ame meaning she knows exactly when the art she wants will be posted so she can make plans around events that have not yet occurred.

I think she's guiding it art along - each stream inspires people to make art based on what she did in that stream, which she can use as fodder for the next stream, and she's set enough of a gap between the big reveals that she can spend the days in between luring the Haatons into making what she needs

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
It's a bit late, but it's time for Calli to learn an important Hololive lesson: be careful about asking fans if something exists, especially if she's hinting it might annoy her, because it virtually guarantees someone will actually make it.

https://twitter.com/renpona/status/1366592791715938308
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5DkWxfjlKA

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Smiles posted:

not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know or can point me in the right direction what programs dudes like tian nya use for their clips (ripping sounds off streams, adding them to animations etc)? like i totally want to add nene's ievan polkka to this but my google-fu is really failing me atm

Ultra late on this, but here's what I use:

youtube-dl is a bit clunky to use since it's a command-line program, but it's the go-to for ripping stuff from Youtube

For actually making the clip, you'd want a video editing program. I use VEGAS Pro 14 Edit since I got it deep-discounted on sale, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay anywhere near full price for it, especially considering it's like six years old and crashes regularly. The gold standard for video editing is supposed to be Adobe Premiere Pro, which is also theoretically relatively affordable since it's available for a monthly subscription plan. If you want a free editor, I've seen HitFilm Express and DaVinci Resolve thrown around a lot as options, but I've never used either one myself. The Let's Play subforum has an info-thread about video editing that really talks up Avisynth as a free option, but it's a text-based scripting tool with no GUI.

If you just want to throw a sound clip onto an animation, any of the tools I mentioned in the last paragraph should be more than good enough. It's only when you want to slap a whole bunch of different clips and soundbites and effects together that poo poo starts to get complicated:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Lyer posted:

just wait until you stream a bit past midnight and goons in this thread will comb through your post history to figure out where you live, so they can knock on your door and tell you to go to sleep

i'm not gonna say this is the only reason I made an alt to post about becoming a vtuber here, but it's up there

on that note, i'm getting close to being a vtuber myself

can i finish the rigging before my debut next month? here's hopinggggggggggggggggggg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 9, 2022

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I wouldn't say that the JP side is particularly focused on idols over content creators. I'd guess it's more a matter of marketing rather than anything else, as well as the logistics of getting people up on those stage events that seem to actually get a lot of attention.

And given that Hololive opened applications for English-speaking "VSingers" last year, I think it's safe to say Cover has no intention of neglecting the song-and-dance side of things in HoloEN. Not to mention Calli and Kiara churning out music like crazy.

When it comes to Gura not having vocal lessons, I expect part of it is just her not particularly pushing for them. Kinda like how some JP "idols" are taking English lessons while others are just doing Duolingo. It's not because Cover is treating them differently or forcing them down different paths, it's just down to their preferred approaches to things. Hololive has plenty of recluses and gremlins who are great at interacting with viewers but aren't too eager about leaving the house and proactively interacting with people.

Though, of course, there's probably some extra complications due to Gura being overseas, given that all the music released by HoloENs so far has been recorded in Japan. I'm sure it's something Cover is working on, but I'm also sure it's something they didn't start work on until they saw how hard HoloEN took off.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
VtubeStudio is now out on Steam with webcam-based face tracking and some new features

https://twitter.com/VTubeStudio/status/1370495302814273543?s=19

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

astr0man posted:

I never really understood the appeal of live coding streams, even from the learning perspective, but this is still a cool vtuber niche

It's similar to draw streams: it's essentially a chat stream the vtuber can do while working on something in the background, they could potentially solicit input from viewers or add little extras to amuse viewers, and they could teach the viewers things or learn how to do things on stream.

It depends on what kind of thing they're coding, of course. Most of the ones I'm familiar with are game devs, some of which stream their game-making. I'll especially point to the Vtuber Game Jam that Lua Lucky hosted a couple months ago, where a bunch of vtubers made short-and-quick games (many of them doing it on stream). The list of participants and their finished works is here:
https://lualucky.github.io/vtgamejam.html

I don't know if I'd do something like that myself. I could potentially do it, but I'm self-conscious about how much of my coding process is mashing poo poo into Google and StackOverflow. I'm the type who doesn't want to show something to someone until it's of decent quality, so I'd probably end up mostly done before I'd be willing to let anyone watch me.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Everyones posting pictures of their feet on twitter. No I don't know why.

tough times for those who only had a half-body drawn

https://twitter.com/saitiwi_/status/1371444092899590146?s=19

though it's led to at least a few joke entries
https://twitter.com/renpona/status/1371445473899388928?s=19

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
This whole conversation kinda drills to a more basic problem with Twitch - it's an utterly confusing mess where just about everything is different from viewer to viewer, from streamer to streamer, from channel to channel, and from browser extension to browser extension. There's Twitch subs and there's Twitch Prime and there's Twitch Turbo and there's Twitch Affiliate and there's Twitch Partner, and the ad experience will be completely different depending on which combination of those is active for any given viewer-streamer pair. And then there's the extra inconsistency introduced by Twitch working a lot harder to circumvent adblockers. Youtube sucks rear end from a user perspective, but at least it sucks rear end in a relatively straightforward and consistent way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
Moi Chaton, the piano-playing vtuber, has had her contract terminated.

https://twitter.com/Moi_CHATON/status/1373251316131139588?s=19

It feels like there's been a lot of cases like this lately, where indie JP vtubers reveal that they were contracted with a company or agency that insisted on remaining anonymous but that they're now breaking up with one way or another. It's rather unpleasant; feels like there's a lot of sketchy companies out there preying on people who just want to be vtubers.