Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Out of all the Holos, I always get floored by Towa the most when it comes to singing. She's just got such a unique powerful and throaty singing voice, it's like aural velvet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Hey don’t forget a few months ago when Pekora played Dragon Quest V and valiantly tried to sing along with the title theme every single time

https://youtu.be/aCVgkhgztH8

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

I find myself always coming back to Towa’s cover of ERROR. There’s something so raw and chilling about that it draws me in. Her voice is so powerful and chilling that it captures the emotions of the song so well that I don’t need to understand the words. It makes me want to sing it half as well as her.

Yeah, that’s a great cover. I kinda wish Towa would do originals like Suisei. I also wish Suisei would do more originals too. Next Color Planet was FIRE! How amazing would it be if Towa did something that ambitious? tbf, I’m a musician myself, so I always wanna see more music.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Buddha Fett posted:

Man, I'm going to have a difficult decision to make on who to give a membership to; I can only really afford one if them.

There may be many memberships to choose from, but only one membersheep

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

trucutru posted:

Marine is also an armpit coinnoisseur

as a Touhou superfan she kinda has to be
*mod snip*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 24, 2020

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9pGc_qP9s

Kiara is live and her new mic sounds great!! She also has memberships available. So excited for our Kusotori!

EDIT: Only has 1 tier of membership at $5 and has a developing image depending on how long you're part of the membership.

In the thumbnail for this video, the microphone is clearly a Shure SM-7. I wonder if that’s the actual new mic she got. It certainly sounds like one, and that’s a pro choice if true. Kiara has a bit of a weak sounding voice, and the SM-7 is quite flattering to a voice like that. It’s a classic broadcast mic, and built like a tank.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

eat the eggs smash mouth Noel

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Human TARDIS go brrREEEEEEEEGGHGHHWAWAWAWAEA

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Tabletops posted:

yeah i know, i meant i wonder if you need to upgrade your other audio equipment to properly utilize it or if it's pretty much plug and play

Hi, former professional music producer here, so I do know about microphones. This is a condenser microphone so it does require a 48V phantom power supply. Normally you would need either a microphone pre-amp with phantom power (your pc’s mic input does not do this), or a dedicated in-line power supply...but this particular microphone can optionally be powered by batteries (this is a pretty rare feature btw). If you bought this exact microphone and used batteries, you could record with it on a typical pc just using a simple cheap adapter to adapt the mic output to the 1/8” jack found on most PCs. The mic amplifier built into a PC motherboard has very little gain though, so to make really intimate recordings, you’d probably want to at least invest in some kind of outboard microphone amp that you could then plug in to your line-in jack. Or you could amplify the signal with something like a Cloudlifter. You could just make life nice and simple by getting an inexpensive “pro-summer” audio interface that replaces your sound card and provides native mic XLR jacks with proper pre-amps that have phantom power already. Focusrite sells one called the Scarlett Solo for about $140 new that just has the one mic port if that’s all you’re doing.

tl;dr yeah you’d probably want a little more gear, but it doesn’t need to be anywhere near as expensive as that microphone.

e: silly me, this is a binaural microphone so of course you’d need TWO mic ports. So actually your typical PC with it’s one mic port doesn’t cut it at all, you’d need an outboard two channel pre-amp or an interface like the $200 Scarlett 2i2. General point still stands.

Justus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 1, 2020

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I really want a V tuber that’s just a dumb looking animal that’s animated all goofy. Like, not an animal person, just like a doofy looking cartoon bipedal crocodile with some awful accent

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Oh, nice! Blasphemous is an indie metroidvania that plays like a SNES game, looks like an early/mid-90s DOS game, is made by Spaniards, and has extremely Euro-catholic theming. Korone played through it too, I wanna say...maybe back in March?

e: in fact, I just remembered, Korone’s playthrough of Blasphemous is where the X-potato meme originated from. During the ending credits, it names all the bosses in the game. One of them is called Expósito and our doggo managed to butcher the pronunciation so it came out as “X Potato”, and the rest is history.

Justus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Sindai posted:

I hope she doesn't get in trouble for pretty much saying she's done weed before.

I'm pretty sure you can't be a rapper if you've never smoked weed. Like, you'd just be disbarred by the Hiphop Bar Association.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Just watched the Calli concert VOD, and a couple of thoughts I had:

It feels like the whole “renting a studio” thing didn’t work out that great. It seemed to effectively just lead to having logistical issues, general unfamiliarity, and apparently having to perform from inside an icebox. That’s a shame. I used to work in a music studio, and whenever someone bought studio time with us, the deal always included both the space and equipment AND the time of one of our sound engineers familiar with operating everything. Whatever benefit she got from using an expensive microphone, pre-amp, and AD converter and whatever room acoustic treatment is easily outweighed by having to choose between reverb and having a decent output level(seriously, WTF)

Fortunately, she was able to play it all off pretty well as being just more of the kind of endearing jank we’ve gotten used to from her. I also just have to say that doing this set with no reverb is really impressive. Reverb doesn’t just hide flaws in a vocalist from the audience and make the voice sound cooler, but also is a big part of the vocalist sounding right to themselves through the monitor mix. Without reverb it’s way harder for a vocalist to gauge how their vocals are interacting with the rest of the mix, or for them to even hear themselves at all, since the audio of themselves is mixed into their ears at the same time (and competing with) their own head bones vibrating from their own real time sound. I’ve worked with many many vocalists and a fair number would refuse to even attempt to perform without reverb.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

https://youtu.be/kYxSiOufwg8

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I just woke up and Suisei’s concert starts in like two minutes. Hype!

https://youtu.be/JNmmnB4bP0M

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Oh poo poo, now here comes Towa. Sure, let’s just get ALL of Hololive’s best voices in one show, holy poo poo

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

In the idol outfits, now featuring tiny cockeyed naval hats.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

Now AZki is here too! All the good singers!

After all this it’s probably extra greedy of me, but I really want Watame to show up to this now, and will laugh my rear end off if they then sing Watame’s favorite song “Skill” together. Won’t laugh much less hard if it’s really any song involving giant robots

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Edit: ^^^ :argh:

That’s one epic thumbnail

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Man, Kokorobeats head must be spinning. Much as I love it, pretty sure no Touhou remix ever charted.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

The timing on her hiatus could hardly be worse too. If I remember, it was right around the same time as the copyright shenanigans nuking everyone's backlog. I remember a bunch of them kinda dealing with that by immediately digging in and churning out gobs of new content to kinda make up for it, but obviously that's not something Miko was able to do.

Thankfully for her, the Hololive brand has only exploded to new heights in the last several months, and an established 'tuber on hiatus like her benefits from that just like it did for all the new talent from 5th gen and Holo En (who obviously didn't even have a backlog to begin with).

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

“were taking over! were taking over!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Vizuyos posted:

Train Simulator is all about operating a train on an already existing line. There's customization tools, but they're meant more for modders building their own scenarios. Same goes for most of the other big simulators.

For railway building stuff, I don't know anything that beats Factorio and OpenTTD. Maybe Mashinky? Never played that one, though.

If you want to get really deep in the rabbit hole, there's signalling sims like Simsig and Railway Operation Simulator, but I imagine they don't really scratch that infrastructure itch.

Ame's train-building kick is extremely my poo poo and I can't wait for her to migrate to a game that doesn't give me horrid motion sickness like Minecraft streams do. :allears:

That could be cool, but to me, part of the appeal of Ame doing her thing in Minecraft is that it's also about improving the server for the other players. Like, she's planning a rail through the nether so that Gura's Atlantis can be more easily connected and accessible to rest despite being like a week's journey away on foot. I'd definitely enjoy watching Ame grognard over Factorio, but it wouldn't be quite the same kind of beast.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Amelia no don't do Take on Me you will hurt yourself going for that high note

Arrested Development voice: it wasn’t Ame that would be hurt

Haha, this karaoke is so self aware, it owns

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

lol
“This next one isn’t very idol-like”
*sings Queen*

E: oh lawd, the a ca pella guitar solo

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

This is epic. It’s a real crime this isn’t archived.

I’m the guy in chat going “DO SOME DEATH METAL”

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

This is starting in 20 minutes and we'll get to find out what it's all about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIXK42hLg3I

my bong is ready

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

https://youtu.be/d3IGGefmwsM

I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen the official main channel release a stream clip or compilation itself, and it has a translation, just like the weekly “anime”.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Dinosaur Satan posted:

Congratulations Korone!

wan million?!

WOWOWOOOW

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Tabletops posted:

ina doing a very chill tunneling/mining stream, i think thats the plan for the whole stream as well.

Perfect. I was really hoping I’d have something that would help me tune out the election until I can pass out, and I think this will fit the bill perfectly.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Wark Say posted:

I need to advance work! But the dog. The dog is so cute, even when wearing a murderous hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJtz7AgqFuA

The pandemic has taught us all many valuable lessons. Hopefully one that sticks is that playing with the dog is ALWAYS more important than whatever your employer wants you to do.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

On that note, Korone/Ame collab when? We need Korone to translate for Bubba.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Kyte posted:

After the smashing success of Watame's gangimari eyes I feel all riggers have made a point of adding their own spin of them. (Kiara got the best ones 'cause she's got the same rigger)

Countdown until Pekora’s Live2D finally gets an update, but literally changes absolutely nothing except for adding a gangimari face.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Something I really find admirable about Haachama is that she truly goes the extra mile to interact with her audience.

https://twitter.com/akaihaato/status/1325390573532930050

From the English version of this post she provided to Youtube:

quote:

🌟🌟LET'S GO WORLD TOUR!!!!!🌟🌟

HAACHAMA is gonna see you country~~~!
I wanna feel like you're on a world tour, seeing all the different countries!

You can join by tweeting with this hashtag!

#HAACHAMASUNDAY

【November of 22 18:00JSP】

※Be carful of copyright, use free bgm or haachama song!
※Don't trespass and filming in places where you do not have permission to film.

I don't know if it'll make for the absolute best content ever, but it's a pretty cool and unique idea.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Kata-Haro posted:

Also Suisei drops a lot of F bombs when she's speaking English. I have a feeling a certain dragon's responsible for this

Turns out sui's mom was wrong and she actually speaks flawless English

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Buddha Fett posted:

Ame and Roboco are doing pretty well communicating so far, Roboco has a pretty decent grasp of English. Its been super cute watching Ame try and impress her so far.

Yeah, Roboco's limited but functional vocabulary is carrying this collab so far. Ame's Japanese is even more limited than mine, to my amazement.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I am so hyped for the Gura karaoke. Ame’s absolutely my favorite out of en...but drat can that shark imp sing!

In the meantime, I’m catching up on the haachama/kiara collab, and loving it.

Kiara: you’re gonna clean the pot first right?
Haachama: yes, of course...
Haachama: ...
Haachama: ...
Haachama: lemme just put the chicken in first
Kiara: WAIT YOU’RE NOT GONNA CLEAN IT?
Haachama: ...chicken AHAHAHAHAHA (crazy haachama laugh TM)

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

The guy in chat asking Gura to karaoke the haachama cooking song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Smiles posted:

this singing shark is pretty good

For all that she plays a character that’s a boneheaded childish imp, her voice is ridiculously polished and she has total boomer musical taste.