Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm kinda hoping Amelia Watson has a British accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, I can't believe watching that single 3-second EEKUM BOKUM Korone animation about a week ago has led me down this gigantic VTuber rabbithole, especially at the perfect time to check out the English character debuts.

EDIT: I still think Korone will be my fave. Watching her react to the ending of Klonoa was like... "where was she 20 years ago when I wanted to talk about my feelings after beating this game!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG8n6Pq5P1o

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 12, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

One more favorite Korone vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEQDRu8HY2g

She's just so freaking adorable.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

RubberLuffy posted:

I think my first exposure was Kizuna Ai clips of her saying "gently caress" and having those in my youtube but not watching any of her stuff regularly ended up putting Miko saying english game titles in my recommendations

and that was that.
I remember seeing Kizuna Ai clips years ago but just writing it off as "oh interesting, but I don't understand anything she's saying."

Now that this whole thing blew up and has major companies putting money behind it and fans editing together shorter compilations with subtitles, it's much more palatable.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Phew, I only wanted her to have a British accent if she really had one.
I'm glad she dropped it so that she wasn't going to do bad fake cockney all the time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hmm... I was kinda hoping she'd be like, the smart one.
Right now her vibe is like, squeaky/sensual/babyish.

Hmm... dunno. Kinda want her to tone it down.

EDIT: I'd never be able to have my speakers up within earshot of a normal person with her. This is way baby kink role-play level. Like FOAM ADVENTURE cringe.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 13, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Waffleman_ posted:

I just wanna let you know I'm still not over Calli's rap
Yeah, I didn't watch her whole stream, but she certainly didn't have to feel nervous when she dropped that in the middle of it. I'm hoping she'll gain more confidence after the feedback on the song.

Gura's Ride on Time was a great surprise, too. Hell yes, city pop.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So far I'm liking Calliope and Gura the best from scrubbing around their debuts. I definitely liked their songs the most.
It'll obviously shift once they all start playing games and get some memeable clips under their belts. It's early yet.

I kinda want the English-speaking ones to let more of their real personality come through instead of having to fall back on forced high-pitch giggles and noises.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tabletops posted:

i like inani's stream and she'll probably be great but holy poo poo i can't stand the lolibait clothing/chara design.
But bro she's totally like really 10,000 years old. :shepicide:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I do wish they had taken some improv courses or something to get some "making stuff up quickly on the spot" chops, but it's getting better as they go along. If I were them, I would have developed and memorized my own backstory a lot more to bring up if I was blanking on conversation.

It's weird how it seems like they never spoke before this to kind of develop a rapport. It's like they're just tossed right into it cold.

Calliope definitely sounds like a normal American anime fangirl. I do like that she has a deeper, more natural speaking voice. I'm also getting to like Kiara now that she's not repeating everything in Japanese. The "mili" thing was pretty funny.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

trucutru posted:

They obviously didn't rehearse in advance. In a few months or so they are going to be incredibly ashamed of this janky poo poo.
For instance, what I like best about listening to Comedy Bang Bang is that the guests start developing inside jokes almost immediately and as the episode goes along, the callbacks come again and again.

I think once these actors get to know each other more and have little inside jokes, they'll be more natural. It's so tough in the beginning where you have awkward pauses because they don't know if they should roll over each other or be more polite.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zeether posted:

Gura won me over with the Ride on Time cover
Hell yeah city pop.
As I listen to her more, I think she has a great bit of cartoony sound to her voice that fits the toothy shark look.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm actually genuinely worried for her health at this point :ohdear:
I think the sleepiness works in her favor, it makes her more relaxed and break character a bit. Kiara's going up in my book.

I'm surprised Hololive is so lenient with how this first day went. Tech issues, awkwardness, etc.
I mean, I think that's some of the charm how it shows they are real people behind the characters, just surprising for a Japanese "idol" company.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lol, playing with keyboard controls and half-asleep, right out the gate she got eliminated and then started spectating but thinking she was playing. She's totally wasted, hahaha, but it's very cute.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FractalSandwich posted:

How do you know they don't have one already?
That would definitely be Calli.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gura did sing Ride on Time entirely in Japanese tho. Course she could have just memorized it phonetically.

I know a big reason to not do this is because it's rude, but isn't another reason that some VTubers are from different companies? Like, could Pikamee even crossover with Hololive or is it not allowed?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 13, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Captain Cappy posted:

Vtubers collaborate with the "competition" all the time, including the two giants, Hololive and Nijisanji.
Ah cool, didn't know. Thought it might be like a Vocaloid/non-Vocaloid situation.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Right off the bat, I'm glad Amelia is talking more "normal" today.
Like full sentences instead of "I'm a detective, *giggle* 'ello govnar I'm Bri'ish"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In the beginning of this stream she claims that she mixed up the dates and thought that she'd be debuting today (only realized it like a day before). Probably had to scramble and got nervous about having to rush the prep.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Prob gonna tapout of the stream just cuz I'm not so interested in Valorant/CS gameplay, but she's wayyyyyyy better today than yesterday.

Looking forward to the shark and Maneater gameplay in a bit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

trucutru posted:

Civia is having her debut (2nd) right now and she's getting a respectabe amount of view. Good for her.
AHHHH, this is like finding a 6th Hololive En VTuber!
Cool, bonus! She's very natural.

VVVVVVVVV

Exia posted:

Her fellow Hololive China member, Artia, also speaks English. Artia just streams exclusively on twitch though, you can find her at https://m.twitch.tv/artia_hololive/profile
Wow, she's got a great cartoony voice, love it.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 14, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Random question: any good Korone merch available?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tabletops posted:

It's an impossible task but I wish pekos long plays got translated. I get a bit of it and my partner can fill in other gaps but I still miss a lot. Her fallout and deaths stranding streams are both good :(
Makes me wonder why Youtube doesn't have real-time translation on videos yet.
Their auto-CC for English at least is way better than years ago. If the person is speaking clearly (and doesn't have a heavy accent), it's pretty good for following along. All they need to do is combine their translation service with the auto-generated CCs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Brunom1 posted:

On the topic of Korone, she's looking set to overtake Fubuki as Hololive's most popular YT streamer in a month or so.

The Eekum Bokum meme has brought her a positively ludicrous number of subs: 39k just over the past week, 132k over the past 30 days!

Much as people joke about Yagoo's broken dreams, I reckon he's as giddy as can be right now.
I wonder if that's why she decided to try a full English stream challenge today, to strike while the iron's really hot with the Eekum Bokum stuff (and maybe the launch of Hololive En).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

homeless snail posted:

I've definitely made the wrestler comparison also, in terms of the distinction between their inside/outside personas and the respect you're expected to have for the distance, as a fan. Or like the distance between a puppet and the puppeteer.
LOL, like the "a hotdog is a sandwich" argument, I just realized that you could consider VTuber characters as puppets/ventriloquist dummies. It's the equivalent of all of us getting obsessed with Howdy Doody or (shudder) Jeff Dunham's characters.

I still regret nothing, haha!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wow, didn't realize Hololive put out a free AR camera app with no in-app purchases.
It's really cool having Korone standing around in my room. Wish there were a few voice clips, though.

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/id1459233516
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.hololive.life

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tabletops posted:

pekora has a much better chance than coco. Coco averages like ~1.5-2k subs a day while pekora is ~4-5k and almost at 700 right now.

unless fubuki's subs increase by ~2k to 6k a day korone should win at the current rate in 25 days.
Definitely gonna be (best girl) Korone because of the Eekum Bokum meme and her recent English content.
I also can't stress enough how wonderful that English only Mario stream was earlier this week. I've already rewatched a lot of it multiple times. Meatballs, Vegetable Flower, Three Brothers, Independence Day, Have Confidence/No Confidence, whispered FAQ... it's just packed with memes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Civia's streaming now and I kinda wish she had been one of the 5 Hololive EN (not to throw shade at any of the real ones in particular) just because I think she speaks very naturally.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL, in Korone's live stream of an incredibly hard Famicom game right now, she just asked for support from her overseas viewers in English, but it came out as asking for our souls.
I think she's revealed the endgame now, moving from yubis to human souls.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Reclines Obesily posted:

this game korone is playing is loving bullshit

invisible stage with pits
So painful when she gets to level 99 with a full life count and loses them all in one stage... and it's like 4am in Japan right now, she's a real trooper.

EDIT: She just got to the final stage with full lives and lost them all. That last stage is impossible bullshit.

Seriously, look at this last stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UHmaC8LBbM&t=182s

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 20, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In Korone's game, I feel like that final area is just completely impossible without tool assist (or playing for days and days and days). She's been going 6 hours and it's gotta be mental torture doing this...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

When will this madness end i worry for this dogg
After about the first 4 hours, she just started laughing for like 20 seconds and chat wrote "hey we broke her" and she said in English, "NO, I not broken, I crazy doooooog! Craaaaazy dooog! Woooowowowowowowow! I AM JOKAH, I AM JOKAHHHHH"

That was only like 4 hours in and she's up to 9 now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ack. Korone was just like 5 pixels from touching the final diamond.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

And heeeeeeeere come the Superchaaaaaaaaaaaaaats!

(including my first $5 to a VTuber... I'm glad)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Holy poo poo, can she get any cooler?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I don't know if the JP Hololive streamers already do it but the rest of EN at least need to screen their superchats before they read them like Cali does because people are absolutely going to do this.
Hopefully someone doesn't make Cali say the phrase "tie one on" about drinking.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL, kinda related to VTubers, I just got a new $20 webcam from Amazon and spun up Facerig which I got through some bundle a while back. Bought the $4 Live2D DLC and became an anime.

Pretty cool and the tracking is comparable to real VTubers. I was impressed by the pupil tracking, which can dart all around as you look at different parts of the screen.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Brunom1 posted:

Urgh, did anyone have the foresight to save the HoloMoments videos to somewhere?

Their Usada Construction video is what brought me into the hole and I'd be deeply saddened to see it gone (or used as a tool by the channel to push a political agenda).
Thankfully, I just checked my list of VTuber favorites and only 1 video was "private," so I guess I just didn't really watch their content. I only really favorite Korone videos, so maybe they aren't the main source of those...

I am planning on downloading all my fave Korone videos like a real crazy person so I can back them up in case they get taken down.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mazerunner posted:

there's too much, how can I watch the yacht tourney and pekora singing and korone and callie and and and and
https://twitter.com/food_stem/status/1305915959920619520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merv Burger posted:

This almost sounds like BarbarousKing

But that also shows that you don't need to be super nice and interactive with your "community" when streaming. If you're good, entertaining, and just slightly charismatic, they'll eat that poo poo up. Hell, if you're playing the persona of an anime girl, I'd say the bar's even lower than that.

I follow plenty of streamers on Twitch that openly hate Twitch and its culture and they're some of the best streams to have on.
I absolutely love Korone's piki piki piiman thing (she has a green shishito pepper onscreen, usually in a cup of coffee, to say when chat should shut up about giving her gameplay tips because the game is gonna be super hard) and also when she busts out a hammer to hammer her chat or the silly drawing of her viewers (an ecstatic bald head guy).

Frankly, all of her little 2D puppet shows with drawings and clip art are absolute gold. The very last 30 seconds of her streams are hilarious because she goes offscreen and does one last joke moving the drawings around without her. In her 800k subscribers stream, she had the viewer head laying on its back with a liquor bottle in its mouth, then she X'd out the eyes, then 10 seconds later adjusted the opacity of the head so that it became a ghost.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 28, 2020