Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
ortega is definitely dangerous, he has 2 solid bases for mma: bullying and steroids, plus his jiu-jitsu is pretty good

he was also able to knock out an old man v impressively

on the flip side, zombie is Cool and Good, and thus will win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

ilmucche posted:

Does anyone have that video where tkz or stun gun were talking about overeem's massive hog?

here is the highlight

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/1266730892770390018?s=19

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's crazy that they have the confidence to give Glover less than a month to recover and retrain. Even if he's not feeling sick at all, he shouldn't be training with anybody for a while.

OSP was supposes to fight on the 22nd, tested positive and is rebooked for this weekend.

it's always been an uncaring gristmill, it's just a little more evident during the pandemic

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

the good thing is that steroids seem to be a solid treatment option, so jon jones should be safe

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Helwani is saying that Hill vs Waterson is gonna be the new, 5-round main event for next week since Glover got the 'rona

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Flaskraven posted:

If he loses it means he wasn't ready.
If he wins he'll be in hte middle of a packed division without the necessary experience to hang with the best in the world.
I see this as a horrible match-up. I might be wrong though.

shocking to think the ufc would look for a quick payoff on something rather than have a little patience to let it develop properly

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

So I just realized Khamzat Chimaev is booked to fight Gerald Meerschaert and Demian Maia. That's a weird one.

Gerald could very easily be an unfathomable step up in competition, compared to "2 rando euro strikers" Chimaev fought on 'Rona Island

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I made the bold statement above that the prelims for the next fight night have potential so in the interest of helping our posting community I'm going to do a preview effortpost on the card to defend my statement and maybe generate some interest in watching, and more importantly, posting.

Main Card
Waterson vs Hill
This is something of a dud of a fight. The best case scenario is that Angie Overkill, who is on the top tier of coolest people in the UFC, gets a signature highlight win. Waterson is extremely overrated and is one of those fighters who gets way more promotional attention than she deserves because she's "marketable" in some vague way (see: horny fans).

Azaitar vs Worthy
Khama Worthy is a decent prospect at 2-0 in the UFC with a guillotine of Luis Pena. Azaitar is undefeated and 1-0 with a KO in the UFC. I had to look up their tapology pages, though I remembre Worthy's guillotine. This is a decent showcase of upcoming fighters but it probably shouldn't be comain.

Roxy vs KGB Lee
Roxy is a goon favourite and she tends to grind down and embarrass younger sexy prospects. She did it once to Lee already, in Invicta. Lee is another overrated "marketable" fighter who has been "the next hot prospect" for like 6 years now. I can see Roxy's name recognition (she's the most experienced female fighter in the world) and Lee's "marketability" making this a reasonable main event fight.

Herman vs Rodriguez
This is dumb. It should be a prelim. Herman is a journeyman also-ran middleweight who is now a light heavyweight. Rodriguez is a hot-and-cold 12-4 fighter. It has a good chance of producing a violent finish though.

Quarantillo vs Nelson
Another one that probably be a prelim. Quarantillo is the guy who beat Spike Carslyle (redheaded super athletic antisemite) a few cards back. He's fun fighter and one to watch, but his opponent Kyle Nelson is a Canadian regional fighter who got a short-notice nod to get beaten up by Diego Fierra and managed to get a KO in his 3rd UFC fight to stay alive.

Preliminary Card
Matt Schnell vs Tyson Nam
Schnell is a ~0.500 UFC flyweight who to Tim Eliot on TUF. Nam is a journeyman who has fought in lots of organizations. I don't know Schnell, but Nam is fun to watch. Both have finished lots of dudes and been finished lots of times.

Julia Avila vs Sijara Eubanks
"Sarge" Eubanks gets goon mocked a bit but she can and has won fights by KO. Avila has too, and she's 2-0 in the UFC. Avila could see herself in a #1 contender fight soon at least with a good performance, so this maybe could have made the case to replace Herman vs Rodriguez or Roxy vs KGB Lee on the main card. Burying fighters like Avilla is how we end up with comain events or contender fights where nobody knows either fighter.

:supaburn: Matt Frevola vs Roosevelt Roberts :supaburn: holy poo poo this is a good fight. Frevola has been in several crazy scraps that probably should have been fight of the night. He's tough and he has really cool slick boxing. Roosevelt Roberts is a superprospect from DWTNCS who has hit a few rough patches. This definitely should have been on the main card, probably replcaing Quarantillo vs Nelson.

:supaburn: Bobby Green vs Alan Patrick :supaburn: How is Green ever buried on a prelim? What the christ? He's basically fight-of-the-night in a bottle. Alan Patrick - a Brazillian MT fighter with a great record but low activity - is the exact person pull that out of him too.

Alexander Romanov vs Roque Martinez - Apparently the Tsar is alive again and making his UFC debut as a heavyweight against a fat dude who fought in RIZIN.

:supaburn: Frank Camacho vs Brok Weaver :supaburn: Camacho is a hard-headed brawler with big fists and Brok Weaver is a dog fighting son of a bitch but also with a hard head. This has a chance of being sad though because Camacho has taken some bad beats in his last few fights.

:supaburn: Bryan Barbarena :supaburn: vs Anthony Ivy - Barbarena is one of my favourite mid-tier fighters. He was in a fight of the year candidate vs Vincente Luque but then KOed by Randy Brown last time we saw him out. He has been in lots of good fights, but like Camacho he has been taking some beatings and may be at the end of his career, though most of his losses are against champion-tier fighters. No idea about Anthony Ivy

Mazo vs Kish - Mazo looks like a generic Eastern Euro decision fighter to me. She's 2-1 UFC and I don't remember the fights, though I do know her opponents. But don't miss this one, as Justine Kish is the very specific reason that pooping ur pants in an mma fight is now a TKO loss. :itwaspoo:

i agree with most of this. i sorta remember roque martinez on rizin, maybe?

also, frank camacho is out and has been replaced by the 9 foot tall 155er, jalin turner

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Street Horrrsing posted:

Bethe Correia announced she intends to retire after her next match, saying "I know I have left my mark".

It is true that she was a pioneer in mma comedy. I'll fondly remember Bethe punching herself in the face, or confusing the clapper with the end of the round or getting violently tko'd in a variety of ways. Godspeed bethe.

For me, she has 2 great jokes

first, is when she taunted Holly Holm, got kicked in the brain and as she sat down, raised her hand as if she was saying "check, please!"

The second great joke is when she got obliterated by Rousey, making Ronda and Edmund think she was a capable striker. That's a long set up, but it made for 2 excellent punchlines, which is pretty rare in the funny biz

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

BlindSite posted:

All wmma is bad and hard to watch outside of 4 maybe 5 fighters. This card suuuuucks.

shudda gently caress up

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Ranked UFC female fighters who are at least good to watch, if not loving great, but who you may not have heard of:

Amanda Ribas (future champ imo)
Virna Jandiroba
Yan Xiaonan
Viviane Araujo
Cynthia Calvillo
Gillian Robertson
Irene Aldana
Ketlen Vieria
Macy Chiasson
Julia Avila

Every woman on this list is more fun from a spectator perspective than 3/4 of middleweight or heavier fighters in the UFC but none of them gets any promotional attention.

Looking at the rankings Chris Weidman went up in the middleweight rankings recently. gently caress lol.

Unranked middleweight fights are horribly dire 9 times out of 10

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

It probably wasn't the first time it dawned on me, but I think Cathal Pendred's entire UFC career really helped show how bad 185ers can get

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Ronda's mom basically had the "if you're not first, you're last" mentality like Ricky Bobby's dad, so she could not deal with any kind of loss.

Also, remember when she was "just asking questions" about the Sandy Hook shooting?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

Did Edmund have a shitton of money riding on the Nunes fight as well, or just Holm?

Impossible, he reported 0 income on his taxes for like 10 years running. How would he have any money with which to bet???

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

why not invite justin and henry's superstar manager, ali abdel aziz???

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Trillhouse posted:

The Irishman, who is no stranger to controversy, has been based on the French island over recent weeks to prepare for a 110mile voyage to raise awareness for water safety. He had been due to set off today with Princess Charlene of Monaco, but has been forced to withdraw.

Awareness for water safety? Wtf? He out there making videos about the importance of wearing a life jacket and not drinking and boating?

Makes sense. Khabib drowned him in deep waters a few years back

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

disclaimer: I'm falling asleep at the keyboard

I guess just to flesh out the statement above I'm thinking in comparison to Cerrone-Masvidal, where Cerrone got saved by the bell and then just murdered immediately after the break. Suppose it's different with body shots.

Cerrone got knocked out, was slapped awake, given 60 seconds to recover, and then was knocked out again, 1 minute into round 2. He wasn't given a full 5 minute recovery period to shake out the cobwebs

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/tonyfergusonxt/status/1305380959659855872?s=21

man how bad are they lowballing poor DP. when even the guy's potential opponent thinks he deserves more, you know dana's being a dick

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1305485992552550400?s=19

i wanna see the Odd Couple sitcom dynamic these 2 clearly have

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Lazy breakdown for this weekend's card Fight Night Woodley vs Covington

Andre Ewell vs Irwin Rivera - I remember Ewell's name but he looks to me to be an underwhelming also-ran Bantamweight. Irwin Rivera is the guy who lost to Giga as a super late replacement but seemed game in the process. Could be good I guess.

I mostly remember Ewell being matched up vs Renan Barao during Renan's losing skid. I looked up Ewell's past opponents, and it looked like he was a bit of a can crusher, so I assumed he was being brought in as a guy with a decent record for Barao to get back to his winning ways.

Ewell won that one, but hasn't looked particularly great any other times.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Which fighters have you most enjoyed watching "put it all together"

As a WEC/Fightville fan, Poirier going from being a roughneck brawler with an ok sub game to a guy with good boxing (including defensively) has been rad.

Same with seeing Gaethje in WSoF barreling out with 1000% pressure behind haymakers and lowkicks, to now a guy that has the patience to pick his shots.

Nunes probably had most of her skills, but again, patience plus developing her cardio is probably the biggest thing she's improved, but it's been fun to watch. Though she still really only finishes people super early in fights. Still, p rad to see the development!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Trump starts answering a question about climate change and Joe freaks out

"OH, HE'S GOT IT IN DEEP. HE'S GONNA DISCLOSE MEANINGFUL POLICY INFORMATION!"

Trump meanders off subject after 30 seconds, stops speaking in the middle of the sentence.

"Nevermind, he got out of it. He had it, though!"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

TKZ has had a great developmental arc and it's a great time to watch all of his fights from his WEC debut in sequence. After his loss to George Roop he learned the value of striking defense, and some time between his two Leonard Garcia fights he learned how to vary his offense and he seems to have developed some serious striking accuracy just in time to KO a former title challenger in 7 seconds.

Now? Well now he is our god.

I want him to punch Ortega's face bloody, and then tap him with another fake Eddie Bravo move because gently caress the Gracies and their whole crew

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/1236823229160882176

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

quote:

One of the things that the ring does is provide a readiness score, which helps an athlete know how best to train on a given day. It was the change in his readiness score, along with some other data, that suggested Cormier should see a doctor.

The ordeal began on July 1 when Cormier’s teammate tested positive for COVID-19. Cormier, his coaches and teammates were negative when results were returned July 3.

“But over the weekend, I started feeling a little sick,” Cormier said. “Things weren’t exactly ... well, let me put it this way: I wasn’t sick, but I got a little tired and peaked. Monday comes, I go to practice and I spar and I worked out three times. I felt OK, but I was a little bit tired is, I guess, how I would put it. Now, let me go back for a second: The Wednesday prior, my readiness score was at 78, 79. The readiness score is what tells you how you are supposed to approach the day. When it’s low, it’s telling you to take a step back.

“I’ve been using it for months now because my body needs to know if I’m going in the right direction. … On Monday night, Tuesday morning, I wasn’t feeling so good. My resting heart rate had been 50 beats a minute. Now it was at 57. My body temperature had changed.”

He went to practice on Tuesday anyway, and didn’t feel good. He was thinking of stopping and his coaches mocked him. But when he awakened on July 8, his readiness score had dropped to 48. And his resting heart rate went up to 67.

He went to practice that day and sparred two rounds, but told coach Javier Mendez he wasn’t feeling good. He went to the doctor and discovered he had COVID-19.

The coaches, who had mocked him and asked him if Marvin Hagler and Muhammad Ali wore a ring, were amazed.

AKA coaches: hey, one of the guys got covid

DC: i'm feeling a little unwell

AKA coaches: U FUKN PUSSY!!!! LOL, LOOK AT THIS LIL BITCH!!!!

also from the article:

quote:

On Tuesday, the UFC will announce a partnership with Oura Health, the company that makes the Oura Ring. The smart ring tracks health data and can warn of problems and suggest when it’s a good day to train a bit harder and when it might be wise to back off.

The UFC plans to give a ring to all of its fighters who want want one. So far, all 65 fighters that have been offered the rings, which retail for $299, have accepted.

if all ~400 fighters get a ring, that's like $120k in "extra fighter compensation" i bet the ufc can claim it paid out for 2020

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1305973318831476738

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql9hrV40LvM

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Let's not forget that Glover vs Santos was supposed to main event last weekend's card, but had to get pushed back because Teixeira got the rona first.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

I don't know chandler at all, what's his deal? Surely anyone but the ufc top 5 is getting mulched by Tony?

Classic wrestleboxer style

Had a great fight with Eddie Alvarez on the same night as Hendo/Shogun 1. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HziG9DBfJf0)

Infamously got hit with a low calf kick vs Brent Primus, which deadened his leg. Then someone took his stool out from under him when he was trying to sit down.

I enjoy him and his fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-LV7R6CTCU

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 16, 2020

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jacare needs to go back to that gym in Ft Lauderdale and touch the elastic band Mike Perry accidentally hanged himself with

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Sadly the video has been deleted and there is no way I'm going to wade through even 1 episode of Rogan's podcast to find a specific minute long clip, but I want to point out that Joe Rogan believes that during WW2, whales formed an oceanic council to discuss the issue of nuclear bombs being tested underwater. These whales concluded that the detonations were people fighting back against all of the ships that had been destroyed by whales in the previous decades/centuries. So the whales decided to stop attacking ships to appease us surface dwellers and our scary bombs. And that, dear reader, is why the number of whale-related ship attacks have gone down.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

wait what happened to totally legit human, josh fabia?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

granted, he was in the hospital last month, but geoff neal isn't booked

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

yay!

https://twitter.com/Amanda_Leoa/status/1309516115459084289

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Conor wanted or maybe still wants to fight Diego Sanchez because he's clearly interested in challenging opponents

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1309554699671080960

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

doesn't he still have several criminal charges pending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Can someone show me the blanka excuse pic I want to show my brother :tipshat: