Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
I work in a campground with enforced quiet hours. I had one lady so pissed that we told her group to quiet down 3 times in 2 days, that she left a review stating "if you want quiet, you should stay in a four star hotel."

Some people just think the woods are for a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I was a cub scout leader for three years and the cubs used to love stories about outdoors survival calamaties like the German tourists or maritime disasters. I felt like it was beneficial to hear the stories of others misfortune because it being aware there are dumb ways to die helps them not happen to you. Also kids are morbid.

Anyhow, the idiot thing was their parents who would pack them the most inappropriate gear especially shoes. We would have the kids bring their packed gear to the meeting before all winter camps to check that had proper clothing so they wouldn't freeze, but invariably some parent would pack their kid freaking sneakers. Hiking through the snow is not fun in Yeezys. Kinda hard tho because some of the kids parents may not have been able to afford buy solid outdoor gear for a kid that would outgrow it next season. We did keep a few spares around tho to loan out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

nael posted:

I remember when I was on the AT there was a guy who would hike with Bluetooth speakers. He was always blasting Phish, as is expected. At one of the shelters he was complaining about how some old man was "being a real dick" and telling him to just get some headphones. He then went on about how he plays his music to make the hiking experience better and more chill for everyone else.

On the MTB trails I used to ride, there was one guy I'd see occasionally who strapped a little bluetooth speaker under his bike seat and cranked it all the way up to play top-40 rap. With such a tiny speaker, you'd just get the high hat line and some of the other high pitches, just tsstsstsstssmumblemumbletsstss.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nael posted:

I remember when I was on the AT there was a guy who would hike with Bluetooth speakers. He was always blasting Phish, as is expected. At one of the shelters he was complaining about how some old man was "being a real dick" and telling him to just get some headphones. He then went on about how he plays his music to make the hiking experience better and more chill for everyone else.

If you're in a private group and away from anyone else then yeah do what you wanna do, but a public area isn't the place for that.

Apparently squirrels sometimes steal speakers and smash them into pieces, maybe next time they'll be around.

Idiots in the outdoors. I've learnt that literally anyone on an ATV is likely human garbage, likely doesn't give a poo poo about litter or keeping the environment clean, and likely doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else

Lots of exceptions, but if you want to generalize an entire group of people it's a pretty safe bet.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Last time we were hunting public lands, there was group in the hunters camp that was more interested in drinking and partying. Theres plenty of other camping areas in that particular national forest, but this was the designated hunters camp. Combining outdoor idiocracy with alcohol and fire arms while scaring off the animals in the area. Genius.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ironhead posted:

Last time we were hunting public lands, there was group in the hunters camp that was more interested in drinking and partying. Theres plenty of other camping areas in that particular national forest, but this was the designated hunters camp. Combining outdoor idiocracy with alcohol and fire arms while scaring off the animals in the area. Genius.

I'm sure they blamed all the new hunters/fish & game regs/Obama for their lack of success, too. The only time I've drank while hunting is on the last night/sitting in the airport waiting to go home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were car camping in SW Colorado a couple weeks ago, and a group of teenagers rolled up in a couple big vans and disgorged about ten of them into the campground. They were fine until it got dark and the sensitive one pulled out his guitar and started playing the same crappy chord progression for half an hour.. until some old lady nearby yelled "can you play your guitar tomorrow?!" It actually got him to put the guitar away.

Was in earshot of the camp host too, their claim the next morning was they can only report noise problems to the police and not actually engage with the offenders.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Outrail posted:

If you're in a private group and away from anyone else then yeah do what you wanna do, but a public area isn't the place for that.

Apparently squirrels sometimes steal speakers and smash them into pieces, maybe next time they'll be around.

Idiots in the outdoors. I've learnt that literally anyone on an ATV is likely human garbage, likely doesn't give a poo poo about litter or keeping the environment clean, and likely doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else

Lots of exceptions, but if you want to generalize an entire group of people it's a pretty safe bet.

My dad's a surgeon in a small town (so he does a lot of on-call nights to help put people back together), and the only thing he hates more than drunk snowmobiling are the people who take their ATVs on the snowmobile trails during the summer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Internet Wizard posted:

My dad's a surgeon in a small town (so he does a lot of on-call nights to help put people back together), and the only thing he hates more than drunk snowmobiling are the people who take their ATVs on the snowmobile trails during the summer.

Is this because they also gently caress themselves up, or because they tear up the trail and make ruts and poo poo?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't speak for internet wizard but that's why I hate them. OHV's gently caress everything up, whenever a meathead sees a hill they're gonna mash the throttle trying to get up it and spray dirt everywhere. It might be fine if one person did it every couple years but once the tire marks are there everyone is gonna hit it and it destroys any plant life trying to make a home. Then the erosion starts and the place is forever ruined.

At least snowmobiles operate on a surface that is transient so it doesn't matter if you tear it up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Is this because they also gently caress themselves up, or because they tear up the trail and make ruts and poo poo?

It's because the severity of injury he sees from an ATV accident is usually even worse than a snowmobile accident, on top of the massive damage they cause to the trails

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Since he is a surgeon, it's probably all the injuries. ATVs cause absolutely horrible injuries when they inevitably flip and land on the driver, who is never wearing any kind of safety equipment.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

ATVs are easily the vehicle I feel the least stable on. It's crazy how sketchy they are, way worse than a dirtbike or SxS. To me they're for transport on a forest service road only.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

xzzy posted:

Was in earshot of the camp host too, their claim the next morning was they can only report noise problems to the police and not actually engage with the offenders.

Lol, what's even the point?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

stratdax posted:

ATVs are easily the vehicle I feel the least stable on. It's crazy how sketchy they are, way worse than a dirtbike or SxS. To me they're for transport on a forest service road only.

That's my experience with them. I do not like riding them at all. Gimme two wheels.

Internet Wizard posted:

It's because the severity of injury he sees from an ATV accident is usually even worse than a snowmobile accident, on top of the massive damage they cause to the trails

This too. I was recently at a Sno-Park in Oregon where a bunch of the weekend crew showed up to blaze the snowmobile trails with atvs and no gear whatsoever. Not a helmet or a piece of safety gear in sight. Just absolutely going full bore on the trails kicking up enough dust to rival the smoke from the fires. They didn't let up till about 3ish in the morning. Loud music, yelling, shenanigans, etc.

When I packed up that morning about 8am and then left I passed a couple rangers headed in.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

In the park up the street from our apartment - in the middle of the city mind you - ATV riders will loving rip through the less than a square mile of green space that we have, going full speed on the pedestrian walking path. Even if there are people on them, they just honk and expect you to get out of their way. Monsters, every one of them.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A guy I knew when I was younger literally lost his head on an ATV and that was all I needed to know to never get on one.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

There’s a particular type of aggressive dumbass who is drawn to the loud/fast version of an outdoor activity who seems to make it their life’s mission to render an entire space inhospitable for anyone trying to use it another way. And of course they will escalate if confronted.

Jetski/powerboats, ATVs, snowmobiles, even plain ol cars. Not every user of these things is awful, but the bad ones are numerous and can and will drive everyone else away. I distinctly remember being a kid in a kayak and having some dude in a motor boat basically buzz at me in increasingly close loops and I just had to paddle there, scared, and deal with the wake. Guess which lake my family never went back to!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

BadSamaritan posted:

There’s a particular type of aggressive dumbass who is drawn to the loud/fast version of an outdoor activity who seems to make it their life’s mission to render an entire space inhospitable for anyone trying to use it another way. And of course they will escalate if confronted.

"Natural spaces are supposed to be shared and that means you're being unfair if you don't fill it with motor vehicle trails for me to rip around on my atv/utv."

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

Jetski/powerboats, ATVs, snowmobiles, even plain ol cars. Not every user of these things is awful, but the bad ones are numerous and can and will drive everyone else away. I distinctly remember being a kid in a kayak and having some dude in a motor boat basically buzz at me in increasingly close loops and I just had to paddle there, scared, and deal with the wake. Guess which lake my family never went back to!

I’ve heard it put for jet skis and ATVs that all you can do on them is “Ride around looking like an rear end in a top hat” and I couldn’t agree more

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I give to these guys sometimes https://winterwildlands.org/

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I honestly think motorized craft should be banned from most water ways. You have all these motherfuckers build giant cottages and rip up all the natural vegetation in place for a lawn, which of course they now must fertilize and let all of the run-off poison the lake.
That's not enough though. Then they get loving wake boats and cruise along destroying what's left of the shoreline and killing any birds that nest there, and the rest of them buy sea-doos to drive around in circles all day burning gas just to hit the odd wake.

What's left? A lake with no fish, no reptiles and no birds. You killed the very thing you spent millions of dollars to gain access to, you imbeciles. AND THEY FUCKIN LOVE IT.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Math You posted:

I honestly think motorized craft should be banned from most water ways. You have all these motherfuckers build giant cottages and rip up all the natural vegetation in place for a lawn, which of course they now must fertilize and let all of the run-off poison the lake.
That's not enough though. Then they get loving wake boats and cruise along destroying what's left of the shoreline and killing any birds that nest there, and the rest of them buy sea-doos to drive around in circles all day burning gas just to hit the odd wake.

What's left? A lake with no fish, no reptiles and no birds. You killed the very thing you spent millions of dollars to gain access to, you imbeciles. AND THEY FUCKIN LOVE IT.
My Dad always thought that personal watercraft should stay outside the effective distance of a .44 from fishermen and non-motorized boats. He also suggested an enforcement mechanism for this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chilling out in a NF campground waiting for dark to watch the meteor shower tonight, hear occasional "go on, get!" commands from other campsites and they're getting louder and closer. Then of course it's my turn for an unleashed dog to stroll into my campsite and sniff at all my poo poo.

No one ever comes for the dog, no one claims ownership, apparently it's a brand new community pupper for us all to take care of.

What kind of cretin do you have to be to set up camp, leave your dog unleashed, then leave it behind to gently caress off for an exciting day of making GBS threads up public lands?

(making an assumption on the last part but it's probably correct)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

xzzy posted:

Chilling out in a NF campground waiting for dark to watch the meteor shower tonight, hear occasional "go on, get!" commands from other campsites and they're getting louder and closer. Then of course it's my turn for an unleashed dog to stroll into my campsite and sniff at all my poo poo.

No one ever comes for the dog, no one claims ownership, apparently it's a brand new community pupper for us all to take care of.

What kind of cretin do you have to be to set up camp, leave your dog unleashed, then leave it behind to gently caress off for an exciting day of making GBS threads up public lands?

(making an assumption on the last part but it's probably correct)

Congrats on your new pet.

Seriously, if they've actually left it loose and unsupervised for the day take it with you and sell it online to a family that'll take care of it.

Improperly supervised animals gently caress so much poo poo up. Dogs aren't so bad but they'll still kill poo poo. We had a deer get killed right next to a dog park in town. I arrived a few hours after the incident and it'd snowed recently so with the amount of blood and tracks you could see how the whole thing went down. Really hosed up.

FacePox
Jun 16, 2021

I remember one time I was on a very used trail near Portland and there was one of those weirdos there who plays music out of a speaker as he walks but the weird part is he was listening to what can only be described as "youtube intro music". Very strange choice I must say.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Incredible number of dog owners seem to think that someone is employed to walk along public footpaths picking up little black bags of poo poo.

I saw one the other day almost have his dog thrown off a ~5m cliff because he was letting it run loose in a valley with a load of sheep with their lambs. The ewes were bigger and super protective but he just couldn't get his dog to give up. There were like 20 signs as well saying to keep dogs on leads.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I always miss the part of the large ALL DOGS MUST BE ON A LEASH sign that says (except you, your dog is special. )

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My favorite is the preserve that bans all dogs yet every other jackhole has an unleashed dog that wants to jump into the pond I'm fishing. :argh:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Little bags of poo poo left on the side of trails and roads drives me loving nuts as well. Either take it with you or flick off the trail or just loving leave it. Littering and making it impossible to decompose seems actively irresponsible.

I read one person's explanation on face book and it was 'I leave them on the trail and pick them up when I come back', but I'm pretty sure half the people who do this just say gently caress it or go another way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I feel like in places where there are bushes or tall grass off of (well defined) trails, why the gently caress don't they just let the dog poo poo OFF the trail and not even bother bagging it?
Like, how can you tell it from Coyote poo poo, or fox poo poo or whatever, and at least then it will just naturally decompose in a few weeks or however long it takes, and there is one less bag of poo poo either sitting next to the trail, or ending up in the dump.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

I feel like in places where there are bushes or tall grass off of (well defined) trails, why the gently caress don't they just let the dog poo poo OFF the trail and not even bother bagging it?
Like, how can you tell it from Coyote poo poo, or fox poo poo or whatever, and at least then it will just naturally decompose in a few weeks or however long it takes, and there is one less bag of poo poo either sitting next to the trail, or ending up in the dump.

Because they're turds and have to leave plastic laying around too.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My dogs don’t like pooping in grass that’s too tall.

I also pack out their poop and keep them on a leash though.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I imagine the remains of dog food in dog poo poo is not natural to that area, so it's not a good thing to do. Like people who throw their orange rinds or apple cores off the path since "It's natural and will decompose," even though those also are not part of that area.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I leave my bag on the side of the trail if I'm doing an out and back, and then I try to pick up one other bag of someone else's poo poo too. Sometimes. It's always really clear when other people's bags are fresh or just got left.

I'm sometimes the idiot because one of my dogs is an idiot who gets the hiking squirts. Her first poop will be manageable and I bag it and deal with it, but then an hour into a hike she'll lurch to a stop in a hunch and blast runny poo poo on the trail if you don't get her off in time. I've tried to make a paste with it out of the dirt but after I tore through a bag once I just do my best to bury it now. Another hiker saw it in action once and was just disgusted and I felt terrible shame.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 7, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

don't leave bags at all wtf. even if you pick it up on the way down everyone behind you had to see it. get your dog a pack and make him carry his own poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did a hike recently where I found a forgotten/abandoned hydration pack near the turnaround point. It was very convenient because I had forgotten to bring a plastic bag for trash. By the time I got back to the car there were three baggies of dog poo and two plastic bottles stuffed in to it.. was a relatively busy trail so the percentage of idiots that pass through creates a lot more garbage.

Not sure how to feel about the hydration pack though. It was clearly not trash but I don't feel a strong obligation to try and connect people to stuff they leave laying around and I certainly don't want to take ownership of it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Aardvark posted:

I imagine the remains of dog food in dog poo poo is not natural to that area, so it's not a good thing to do. Like people who throw their orange rinds or apple cores off the path since "It's natural and will decompose," even though those also are not part of that area.

Perhaps, but its probably still better than bag of poo poo on trail.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Dog poo poo gets into waterways and introduces a huge amount of pathogens/excess nitrogen. More so in urban areas, but people should still pack out their dog poo poo on highly trafficked trails, or at least bury it like you would human waste instead of flicking it off the trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I didn't get to meet these particular idiots but I had probably my worst experience back country camping so far.

I was in Algonquin Park in late August and while looking for a site in the area our permit was registered for, and I ended up talking to a mother/daughter pair of campers who were on a similar route.
Turns out the day before they were forced off their route considerably because there were a couple of dickheads squatting on one of the lakes' two campsites. These guys apparently got very aggressive when they were told you can't just camp off permit. Well, as luck would have it.. that was the same lake I'd be camping on the next night.

That alone did a lot to pull me out of my zen.. would I have the same luck? I spent a chunk of my next day's paddle and portaging wondering if I was going to get hosed, and thinking about how I could approach the situation. I have an inreach and an outside contact who can contact the park.. would these guys got evicted before dark? Which areas would be close enough for me to reach and have enough camp sites that I wouldn't be displacing someone else?
Not ideal.

Well, I get to the lake and not only are the poo poo heads gone, but I've got my pick of the two sites. I get my gear unloaded, go for a swim, and otherwise unwind. All that worrying for nothing. Beautiful camp site across the (narrow) lake from a burn out that took place in 2016. It was really neat looking, and fun to observe how the fire worked its way through. The lake was spotted with islands. Some of which the fire took and some which it spared.
Anyway, I was quite happy. This is what I had planned the trip around and it was everything I had hoped for...

Until I went to set up my tent.
The campsite is a bit of a two level deal. You've got a low lying area on the water's edge with a fire pit and a fair amount of room to set up a tarp, etc. There's a little hill up to a clearing with two designated tent pads, and a path off into the woods with a thunder box (toilet). Well as soon as I get up there I start smelling poo poo. Confused, I go find the thunder box and find that it's in good condition. I assumed it would be rotting away or busted open or something to contribute to this smell. Even more confused, I go back and start to look around.
Someone had spent several days here taking open air shits, and marking their precious treasures with toilet paper. Once I started looking I found it was everywhere on that second level.. even within 10 feet of the thunder box.

I'm pretty sure it was the squatters because the campsite was otherwise immaculate. They obviously knew what they were doing keeping the area visible from the water tidy.. just.. what the gently caress? What could possibly be going on in your life that you would go into a park, gently caress with random people's itineraries, and vandalize campsites?

I ended up having to sleep on a bunch of roots by the water to keep away from the smell.. got the gently caress out of there first thing and reported the condition of the site to the park office on the way out. What a buzz kill.